PDA

View Full Version : Chris Jones = Wool Fertilizer

Dallas_Dawg
12-12-2013, 06:31 PM
I don't think this has been stated as much as it should, but when Chris jones has been on the field, good things have happened for us on defense. His stats don't do him justice and his snapcount will increase next year.

His games against Bama and Ole miss were his two best and that's a good trend to start. He caused at least one interception in each of those games because he was about to crawl up Aj and Bo's ass.

He's either going to occupy two blockers AND get push OR he's going to blow up play after play. He already has all of the talent in the world to take over games and hopefully our staff will stay on his ass to get even more out of him. There was one point in the egg bowl where he made two outstanding plays in a row, hustling his ass off. It was then 3rd and 15 and he was calling to come off the field. The coaches told him to keep his ass on the field, as they should because it's 3rd down. On that 3rd down play though, he just kinda stood up and didn't go hard. Cox ended up getting a pick so it didn't matter, but it shows that he needs to work on his conditioning in the offseason.

Knowing how good he is now and also seeing that he has room to improve makes me sprout wool just thinking about it. I hope our coaches are all over him and make him work his ass off in these bowl practices. They don't need to let him get complacent because he is our first real shot at an Outland Trophy winner.

One last note, I hope this big sumbitch is getting all the ***** he can handle in Starkville. He shouldn't have any regrets for not going to Ole Miss.

MSUDawg4Life
12-12-2013, 07:03 PM
He's undoubtedly an awesome player with tremendous potential.

What I can't stop thinking about is what if Quay and Nick would show up next year and play to their potential beside him. Talk about a dominate defensive line. That would be incredible to watch.

preachermatt83
12-12-2013, 07:07 PM
He's undoubtedly an awesome player with tremendous potential.

What I can't stop thinking about is what if Quay and Nick would show up next year and play to their potential beside him. Talk about a dominate defensive line. That would be incredible to watch.

agreed!! And I think it's gonna happen.

Coach 57
12-12-2013, 08:49 PM
What'll hurt Chris though (in my opinion) is if he starts reading his press clippings and believing the hype. Which will shut down his ability to learn new moves & techniques. It sounds simple but it's actually not. I will say that in his sophmore year David will have to coach Chris VERY hard! Far harder than this past year. David is a VERY good DL coach and actually specializes with interior lineman. But it won't be up to David, it'll be up to how "hungry" Chris is. If he is the type of player I think he is he will accept the coaching pressure. I saw great forms of leadership this year within his own unit. I have shared a couple of stories with you. But this guy COULD be the greatest Bulldawg to EVER put on pads at ANY position! Like Johnny Cooks greatER!

Harrydawg
12-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Coaches have given Chris the ultimate complement saying that he "has totally bought in to the program and the way things are done". He will be the best DL to ever wear the maroon and will make millions in the NFL. I wish we could have him for four full years.

That's about all you can ask for......

OldFatDog
12-12-2013, 09:31 PM
What'll hurt Chris though (in my opinion) is if he starts reading his press clippings and believing the hype. Which will shut down his ability to learn new moves & techniques. It sounds simple but it's actually not. I will say that in his sophmore year David will have to coach Chris VERY hard! Far harder than this past year. David is a VERY good DL coach and actually specializes with interior lineman. But it won't be up to David, it'll be up to how "hungry" Chris is. If he is the type of player I think he is he will accept the coaching pressure. I saw great forms of leadership this year within his own unit. I have shared a couple of stories with you. But this guy COULD be the greatest Bulldawg to EVER put on pads at ANY position! Like Johnny Cooks greatER!

Every indication is that he has a great attitude and will work his ass off.

Coach34
12-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Once he really gets the strength he needs in his shoulders and triceps- holy shit. 57 is right about him continuing to develop his moves and such- but he seems like he is the type to do that.

We will probably lose McKinney after 14....Jones after 15....got to make that 2015 class count.

MSUDawg4Life
12-12-2013, 09:37 PM

Fletcher Cox didn't let the press clippings impede his progress. I see Chris Jones proceeding along the same path as Fletcher Cox. I think Fletcher realized he had potential and also realized it was going to take a lot of hard work to reach it. Fletcher paid the price and now it's paying off for him. This off-season is going to be crucial for Chris and I think he knows it.

DawgInMemphis
12-13-2013, 09:41 AM
I don't think this has been stated as much as it should, but when Chris jones has been on the field, good things have happened for us on defense. His stats don't do him justice and his snapcount will increase next year.

His games against Bama and Ole miss were his two best and that's a good trend to start. He caused at least one interception in each of those games because he was about to crawl up Aj and Bo's ass.

He's either going to occupy two blockers AND get push OR he's going to blow up play after play. He already has all of the talent in the world to take over games and hopefully our staff will stay on his ass to get even more out of him. There was one point in the egg bowl where he made two outstanding plays in a row, hustling his ass off. It was then 3rd and 15 and he was calling to come off the field. The coaches told him to keep his ass on the field, as they should because it's 3rd down. On that 3rd down play though, he just kinda stood up and didn't go hard. Cox ended up getting a pick so it didn't matter, but it shows that he needs to work on his conditioning in the offseason.

Knowing how good he is now and also seeing that he has room to improve makes me sprout wool just thinking about it. I hope our coaches are all over him and make him work his ass off in these bowl practices. They don't need to let him get complacent because he is our first real shot at an Outland Trophy winner.

One last note, I hope this big sumbitch is getting all the ***** he can handle in Starkville. He shouldn't have any regrets for not going to Ole Miss.

He very well may need to work on his conditioning... but that's certainly not something you can say with any certainty from watching one play in one game against a team running the hurry up. I haven't been able to watch the games as closely as I would've liked this year, but I didn't see CJ out there looking tired.

Political Hack
12-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Cox isn't anywhere beat the beast that Chris Jones is. His biggest challenge will be between his sophomore and junior years where he's getting clowney level PR. If he can keep his head on straight there, it's going to be nasty.

One things for sure though... the only person that's capable of stopping him is himself.

bgover4
12-13-2013, 10:07 AM
The best thing for CJ may be kimdashian....If that kid keeps getting the press and CJ keeps getting over looked that would be great. I guarantee the NFL scouts ain't gonna go by press clipping and will know who the better player is.

smootness
12-13-2013, 10:09 AM
It's funny, we hear about Chris Jones all the time...yet I still feel like he's not talked about enough or underrated.

The guy has the potential to be the best player in the country, at any position, in a couple of years. We'll see if he makes it all the way there, but I don't think we've ever had a guy we could legitimately say that about. He is the difference-maker we've always dreamed about.

dawgs
12-13-2013, 10:52 AM
We will probably lose McKinney after 14....Jones after 15....got to make that 2015 class count.

mckinney is on the couple of list for 2014 draft eligible MLBs i've seen, but he's towards the bottom in the 15-20 range, so i think he'll have to have a monster season next year. also worth noting that MLB is considered one of the least valuable defensive positions in the NFL. DE, pass rushing OLB, CB, and DT are all consider far more valuable, so MLBs usually go later in the draft.

smootness
12-13-2013, 10:56 AM
mckinney is on the couple of list for 2014 draft eligible MLBs i've seen, but he's towards the bottom in the 15-20 range, so i think he'll have to have a monster season next year. also worth noting that MLB is considered one of the least valuable defensive positions in the NFL. DE, pass rushing OLB, CB, and DT are all consider far more valuable, so MLBs usually go later in the draft.

If those lists were for the 2014 draft, then that would be the one coming up, so he could move up quite a bit next year just by default.

I agree with you on MLB in the NFL, but I don't see any reason why he can't be a pass-rushing OLB if a team wants that. He has the length and the speed.

ETA: Just did some googling, and both cbssports.com and nfldraftscout.com list him as the #1 OLB for the 2016 draft class, so he is absolutely a candidate for leaving early next year and there could be a slim chance he goes this year, though I don't think he will.

FISHDAWG
12-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Cox isn't anywhere beat the beast that Chris Jones is. His biggest challenge will be between his sophomore and junior years where he's getting clowney level PR. If he can keep his head on straight there, it's going to be nasty.

One things for sure though... the only person that's capable of stopping him is himself.

totally agree .... also, I think he's having fun and as long as that's the case he will be ok ... only when it quits being fun will the head issues come into play

dawgs
12-13-2013, 12:26 PM
If those lists were for the 2014 draft, then that would be the one coming up, so he could move up quite a bit next year just by default.

I agree with you on MLB in the NFL, but I don't see any reason why he can't be a pass-rushing OLB if a team wants that. He has the length and the speed.

ETA: Just did some googling, and both cbssports.com and nfldraftscout.com list him as the #1 OLB for the 2016 draft class, so he is absolutely a candidate for leaving early next year and there could be a slim chance he goes this year, though I don't think he will.

i meant 2015, but yeah i see where he's at on cbs now.

unless he has a huge 2014 though, i don't know if he's definitely gone.

smootness
12-13-2013, 12:28 PM
i meant 2015, but yeah i see where he's at on cbs now.

unless he has a huge 2014 though, i don't know if he's definitely gone.

I would LOVE for him to come back, but at this point I'd be pretty shocked. NFL scouts seem to love him.