PDA

View Full Version : Guy gets a Great White surf fishing

BeastMan
12-12-2013, 01:12 PM
http://www.10news.com/news/video-marine-catches-great-white-shark-12102013

Marine Jeff Fangman just moved to California from the Gulf Coast and thought he'd do some fishing. His wife grabbed their daughter and their camera when he got a bite.

"The line just started rolling off the reel," Fangman told 10News.

Fangman is an experienced shark fisherman, and in the gulf, he has pulled most everything out of the water.

"Bull sharks, tiger sharks, sandbar sharks, lemon sharks," he said.

But this is not the gulf.

"Lo and behold, it ended up being a great white," said Fangman.

He reeled in a young female great white shark. It is the first he has ever caught and to his knowledge, the first ever reeled in from the beach in the United States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSyGOs-Vsv0

You could only guess that the first ever surf landed great white would be pulled off by a Marine.

FlabLoser
12-12-2013, 01:23 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/friday-damn.gif

Natedogg33
12-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Beast, do you ever have any shark encounters during your yak trips?

BeastMan
12-12-2013, 08:44 PM
Beast, do you ever have any shark encounters during your yak trips?

I just got into it last summer so not yet. I've seen a few casually swim close by when wade fishing but they don't really bother me but I've also never had a 5-6 foot shark swim up on me. Sharks don't really bother me very much. I'm much more cautious/scared of stingrays.

The murky MS sound is probably the main reason they don't worry me simply because I don't see them.

Natedogg33
12-12-2013, 09:16 PM
I agree about the rays. I wade fished the north side of Cat,my one and only time, and you couldn't take a step without 2 or 3 big rays getting up. It's kinda freaky how many are out there when you get in clean water you can see in.
I've caught several sharks wade fishing at Fort Morgan. Most just little 2' pups. Caught a 4 footer on a bass rod and a Curado, with a spoon. The reel got so hot you could hardly hold it. Something in the reel melted and haven't been able to use it since.

BeastMan
12-13-2013, 10:21 AM
Shark bites are extremely rare but getting popped by a Ray happens, even by guys who have been on the water their whole life. I buy most of my live bait at Roscoes in PC and he limped the whole summer due to a ray. We have some ray boots but I've never worn them. I just shuffle shuffle shuffle. Me and my dad are forming a new Cat Island strategy which includes a bunch of wade fishing early in the morning. For that, I'll probably wear boots for peace of mind if nothing else.

Weird thing about wading and rays. I do the majority of my wade fishing by that fallen pier in front of Walmart in LB/PC. Never seen a ray there. Other times I drive across the BSL bridge and drive toward the silver slipper and wade somewhere down there where I see birds. I always see rays in the bay.

FISHDAWG
12-13-2013, 11:55 AM
when wading it's better to slide your feet rather than stepping

BeastMan
12-13-2013, 11:59 AM
when wading it's better to slide your feet rather than stepping

I shuffle like my life depends on it. My feet never come up from the sand

Percho
12-13-2013, 02:04 PM
I used to wade a lot of beaver lakes in shorts and tennis shoes in the spring watching for cottonmouths, it was when I could smell them but could not see them that I would get nervous. Just had to pick up and leave one day.

SpeckleDawg
12-13-2013, 04:24 PM
I do the majority of my wade fishing by that fallen pier in front of Walmart in LB/PC.

There's no trout there. You shouldn't fish that spot! That's one of my go-to spots in the spring. Just have to get there early enough in the morning, before a few other usuals get there.

I've never had any problems with sting rays (always shuffling, like you said), but I have had a stringer or two taken by sharks at Cat. I have always just worn some old shoes or gone barefoot while wadefishing, but I plan to get some breathable waders before this spring. More so for the cooler water in early spring than anything.

DownwardDawg
12-15-2013, 10:31 AM
I've had sharks eat my stringer of fish on 2 occasions at Cat. Scary as hell but funny once it's over and you're standing on the dry beach thinking about a beer.

BeastMan
12-15-2013, 10:58 AM
I've been wanting to switch one of those floating bag stringer deals for that reason

BeastMan
12-15-2013, 11:17 AM
There's no trout there. You shouldn't fish that spot! That's one of my go-to spots in the spring. Just have to get there early enough in the morning, before a few other usuals get there.

I've never had any problems with sting rays (always shuffling, like you said), but I have had a stringer or two taken by sharks at Cat. I have always just worn some old shoes or gone barefoot while wadefishing, but I plan to get some breathable waders before this spring. More so for the cooler water in early spring than anything.

Haha. They also have an artificial reef straight out from emerald street and another down from japonica. That whole stretch is legit.

I'll tell you another spot I've never waded but has to have trout b/c there are ALWAYS folks there is if you are going across the BSL Bridge, right to the right of the bridge (BSL side) there's a sand bar that juts out from the beach and there are always guys there. That's the main reason I would hang a left toward Waveland and investigate that stretch.