PDA

View Full Version : MS/AL practice

CadaverDawg
12-12-2013, 12:29 PM
So Rosebowl says yesterday that JT Gray announces MSU as his leader and then today comes out wearing ole miss gear. Ha, Rosebowl gets played like a fiddle by recruits it seems like.

FYI...Pack wearing FSU gear, and Hampton wearing Bama gear.

I know all of this means nothing, I just thought it was funny about Gray making Rosie look dumb.

Big4Dawg
12-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Paul has said we lead for Gray, and he come out and say we are his favorite. I don't even think if he is planning to visit OM as of today. It's us, Arizona State, and Cincinnati.

smootness
12-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Why would him wearing Ole Miss stuff mean Steve got played if wearing a team's gear doesn't mean anything?

Especially if that's what the kid told him.

Todd4State
12-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Why would him wearing Ole Miss stuff mean Steve got played if wearing a team's gear doesn't mean anything?

Especially if that's what the kid told him.

All he would have to do in his bones is say "JT Gray said that MSU is his leader, but then he came out wearing Ole Miss gear".

He may not be getting played, but when he leaves out stuff like that, it make it look like he is. It doesn't really matter. It's his business.

camsu
12-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Looks to me to someone is jealous of Steve; he's just trying to make a living like the rest of us.

BeastMan
12-12-2013, 01:36 PM
JT Gray has come out and said MSU is his leader. Ole Miss fans say that he is their back-up plan for if Hampton flips. They seem to think that if CJH flips, then Gray will commit on the spot.

smootness
12-12-2013, 01:41 PM
All he would have to do in his bones is say "JT Gray said that MSU is his leader, but then he came out wearing Ole Miss gear".

He may not be getting played, but when he leaves out stuff like that, it make it look like he is. It doesn't really matter. It's his business.

Based on the OP, it sound like Steve said yesterday that Gray claimed State as his leader but wasn't decked in Ole Miss gear until today. I would guess if he was dressed in Ole Miss gear as he claimed State as his leader, that would have been mentioned.

Todd4State
12-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Looks to me to someone is jealous of Steve; he's just trying to make a living like the rest of us.

Welcome to the board sherriff.

deltadawg99
12-12-2013, 01:57 PM
Tony Conner wore Alabama gloves when they played on national tv a few years ago and we say how that turned out.

I remember in the Fab 5 ESPN documentary they all wore Miami stuff a good bit.

I wouldn't worry about what an 18 year old kid is wearing to football practice.

Bubb Rubb
12-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Tony Conner wore Alabama gloves when they played on national tv a few years ago and we say how that turned out.

Tony Conner was headed to Alabama all the way, until it was apparent that he wasn't going to make his grades. It hasn't gotten too much discussion, but the most egregious thing Ole Miss did last year, beyone Nkemdiche and beyond Treadwell and Tunsil, was getting Conner eligible to play football.

camsu
12-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Not the sheriff but we are all Bulldog fans so why take shots at each other. Just don't get it. Easier to all pull together than pull each other down.

justwin
12-12-2013, 02:45 PM
curious - I don't follow the pay sites much, but why disdain for Steve R? I've had limited memberships to gp & 247 and blitz at various times, and he seems to be the only MSU media person to have actual access to MSU fball....I could be wrong. The other pay site guys seem to get the same cold shoulder that the local paper guys get. I ask b/c you've made a few comments about him, etc. Not picking on you, but just curious why people have a general dislike for him.

So Rosebowl says yesterday that JT Gray announces MSU as his leader and then today comes out wearing ole miss gear. Ha, Rosebowl gets played like a fiddle by recruits it seems like.

FYI...Pack wearing FSU gear, and Hampton wearing Bama gear.

I know all of this means nothing, I just thought it was funny about Gray making Rosie look dumb.

TheDogFather
12-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Not defending "Rosebowl" but you are criticizing him for jumping to conclusions while insinuating you know where the kid is headed months before signing day and basing your conclusion on what the kid wears to practice?

Just trying to get my facts straight before jumping to conclusions on your conclusions.

sandwolf
12-12-2013, 02:51 PM
curious - I don't follow the pay sites much, but why disdain for Steve R? I've had limited memberships to gp & 247 and blitz at various times, and he seems to be the only MSU media person to have actual access to MSU fball....I could be wrong. The other pay site guys seem to get the same cold shoulder that the local paper guys get. I ask b/c you've made a few comments about him, etc. Not picking on you, but just curious why people have a general dislike for him.

The vast majority of the dislike for Steve is due to the fact that it is cool to do so on here and on SPS.

Coach34
12-12-2013, 03:00 PM
The vast majority of the dislike for Steve is due to the fact that it is cool to do so on here and on SPS.

No, most of the disdain for Rosebowl around here is associated with him being all buddy-buddy with Devinner while Devinner was turning us into the NCAA. Not to mention the affiliation Devinner has with certain OM alums. Why? Because Devinner gives them info on recruits.

"Not the sheriff but we are all Bulldog fans so why take shots at each other. Just don't get it. Easier to all pull together than pull each other down."

Steve and Jean made their choice during all that and continued to prop up Devinner to try and take down Paul Jones. Where was the "pulling together" then?

camsu
12-12-2013, 03:05 PM
You know I live in CA and get my info from the various sites. Steve usually has good info and he knows the kids he talks about. I enjoy that. I just don't get picking on anyone, what purpose does it serve. He doing a job to make money just like Paul or even those folks over on the OM Boards or any boards. Anyone in the business is never going to be right all the time and sometimes listen to someone who does not have MSU or the kid's best interest at heart. So they were wrong and we move on.

Goat Holder
12-12-2013, 03:07 PM
This, and the fact that he's got an ego the size of Lake Pontchartrain with no teeth to back it up.

thunderclap
12-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Uh, 17ing Rosebowl did his part to cut our legs out from under us when he saddled up with Devinner. I don't know why any State fan would pay for that site after the shit he pulled.

NCDawg
12-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Hey Man, we talking 'bout practice. I mean practice, man.

engie
12-12-2013, 03:24 PM
The main thing I've learned from these practices is something I already knew -- Breeland Speaks, Aeris Williams, and CJ Hampton are the best players in MS this year. I don't care about the other 3 Calloway players that much -- but missing on Speaks is going to hurt longterm in many ways both tangible and intangible. He seems to be a tremendous leader on the field...

bulldawg28
12-12-2013, 08:09 PM
The main thing I've learned from these practices is something I already knew -- Breeland Speaks, Aeris Williams, and CJ Hampton are the best players in MS this year. I don't care about the other 3 Calloway players that much -- but missing on Speaks is going to hurt longterm in many ways both tangible and intangible. He seems to be a tremendous leader on the field...

I wouldn't say hurt , he's not a program changer. Granted he will fit into the black bear front nicely for them.

smootness
12-12-2013, 08:40 PM
I think Gerri Green is the best player in MS.

bulldawg28
12-12-2013, 08:43 PM

Yes sir.

NorCalDawg
12-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Yancy probably gave him the shirt and $100 bucks to wear it.**

Coach34
12-12-2013, 09:13 PM

if he isnt he is in the top damn 2...how is his injury coming along?

AlSwearengen
12-12-2013, 10:16 PM

I remember before the season started, one of the networks national guys, maybe 247 said that green was a possible 5* before the season was over. They wanted to see more of him in games and judge his physicality. Of course, that is out with the injury.

MaroonDawg4Life
12-12-2013, 10:18 PM
A good site with reliable info is cowbell clang. John Farley runs a good clean site and there is hardly any griping back and forth. Its like family on his site and I really enjoy the chats we have 3 times a week. He is cheaper than the other sites to so yall give a John a try if you like. I don't think you will be disappointed in him. Cowbellclang.com

CadaverDawg
12-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Been tied up this afternoon and tonight so I just got to read this thread. I apologize...I didn't expect some of you guys to take what I said to the extreme. I simply thought it was funny that Steve said that about Gray and then the VERY next day he came out with OM gear on. Never said I knew where he was going, who his leader was, or anything like that. I just thought it was funny how Steve is wrong so often and then it almost appeared as if Gray had said yea I'm leaning MSU, and then went and put on OM gear. I still think Gray will be a Dawg. My post was more geared towards Rosebowl. And for the ones questioning why I pick on Steve...it's because he has an ego and puts personal shit above MSU, and even hurts MSU at times. I don't hate him though. Todd and some others summed it up well.

Anyway, sorry that some of you took what I said and ran with it. I meant for it to be a funny thing to point out, and nobody to really care enough to post a reply. Never thought that post would lead to me "saying a recruit was going elsewhere" or "hating Steve". Some of you guys have active imaginations (I'm looking at you DogFather).

Anyway, carry on.

Todd4State
12-13-2013, 02:27 AM
Not the sheriff but we are all Bulldog fans so why take shots at each other. Just don't get it. Easier to all pull together than pull each other down.

Others have touched on the DeVinner thing. Those guys were willing to throw MSU under the bus and have us put on probation so that they could eliminate their competition who was doing a better job so that they could make a buck and continue to be lazy. Really- to be honest with you, you should thank Paul Jones for doing a good job because if he didn't Rosebowl would continue to be lazy and clueless just like he was in 2011. I'm honestly not even sure if Steve went to MSU to be honest with you. (Maybe he did? At worst he is a sidewalk alum.) All I know about the guy is he is from Canton and he used to sell furniture.

He's also close minded and arrogant as hell. You ever notice that NO ONE ever brings any recruiting info to Genespage? Because Heaven forbid you should outscoop Rosebowl. In the past, I've pretty much seen him tell people who brought info on players that they didn't know what the hell they were talking about and then BAN them- and then come to find out later the person he banned was right all along.

I also think he has set some sort of a record for being out of the loop. His computer breaks down, he's too sick to type, he didn't get in until 4 AM, the dog is sick, etc. It's hilarious.

Bo Darville
12-13-2013, 07:20 AM
All I know about the guy is he is from Canton

That's like saying "All I know about Albert Pujols is he used to pitch for the Marlins."

Steve is not from Canton.

Jacksondevildog
12-13-2013, 07:50 AM
That was hilarious!
That's like saying "All I know about Albert Pujols is he used to pitch for the Marlins."

sandwolf
12-13-2013, 08:15 AM
No, most of the disdain for Rosebowl around here is associated with him being all buddy-buddy with Devinner while Devinner was turning us into the NCAA. Not to mention the affiliation Devinner has with certain OM alums. Why? Because Devinner gives them info on recruits.

"Not the sheriff but we are all Bulldog fans so why take shots at each other. Just don't get it. Easier to all pull together than pull each other down."

Steve and Jean made their choice during all that and continued to prop up Devinner to try and take down Paul Jones. Where was the "pulling together" then?

No......you are absolutely incorrect. There are about 4 or 5 of you that know the details behind that situation........everyone else dislikes them because it is cool to do so.

dawgs
12-13-2013, 10:47 AM
i've been reading where our former commit keith holcombe has been dominating the bama practices and will probably get a 4* from all the cruiting sites after this week. sucks that bama came in and offered him a committable offer. one of mullen's (and his staff's) best attributes is player evaluation imo, just sucks when we get on a guy early only to see him blow up later and get wooed away by the likes of bama (yeah i know this kid is a tuscaloosa kid, so bama was likely his dream school).

http://247sports.com/Player/Keith-Holcombe-30931

mic
12-13-2013, 10:49 AM

this and how is he looking for EE.???

Bo Darville
12-13-2013, 11:02 AM
I think it is cool to hate on Steve. I know there is tons of misinformation in this thread. Heck Todd (who I like and respect as a poster) gave a full post about things about Steve then admitted that he didn't know anything other than the fact that Steve is from Canton (the one thing that Todd said he did know was actually wrong).

Actually Steve is not from Canton, but from somewhere in south Mississippi (Columbia maybe). His parents divorced and his father lived in Canton (Freddie Robertson). Freddie was a great man. Steve and his brother, Pat, would only come to Canton to visit their dad. They aren't from Canton, and did not live in Canton. In the house with Freddie was his 2nd wife, his two step-daughters (Kim and Nikki), and his daughter with his 2nd wife (Reagan). Steve and Pat lived with their mom (I assume in Columbia or wherever).

Steve is a good guy and means well. He makes some wrong predictions at times but hindsight is 20/20. Kids change their minds or give him some bad info sometimes, but that happens to everyone.

I don't know all the details about Steve and what happened with the probation, but I have yet to hear anyone on this board or any other who can explain where Steve committed a violation. The alleged violations come from a coach (mirando), a player (Redmond), and a booster. Those violations are what landed us on probation. Accountability should come into play at some point.

Coach34
12-13-2013, 11:06 AM
i've been reading where our former commit keith holcombe has been dominating the bama practices and will probably get a 4* from all the cruiting sites after this week. sucks that bama came in and offered him a committable offer. one of mullen's (and his staff's) best attributes is player evaluation imo, just sucks when we get on a guy early only to see him blow up later and get wooed away by the likes of bama (yeah i know this kid is a tuscaloosa kid, so bama was likely his dream school).

http://247sports.com/Player/Keith-Holcombe-30931

His Dad played at Bama- when Bama offered- we were finished

Coach34
12-13-2013, 11:13 AM
I don't know all the details about Steve and what happened with the probation, but I have yet to hear anyone on this board or any other who can explain where Steve committed a violation. The alleged violations come from a coach (mirando), a player (Redmond), and a booster. Those violations are what landed us on probation. Accountability should come into play at some point.

Nobody said Steve committed an NCAA violation. But when you help and take sides with the enemy- and make no mistake, Byron Devinner was the enemy- then that is referred to as treason. Benedict Arnold became famous for it. Jean and that group did a great deal of harm all in the name of "truth". The last thing you want to come out during recruiting is "truth". So let's stop with the accountability bullshit.

If there was true accountability in recruiting, Jordan-Hare would the South's largest soccer stadium now because Auburn's football program would be done. Instead of defending Steve- how about asking him "hey man, how could you be so friendly to a guy that was trying to bury our program???" Devinner didnt tell the NCAA about the money other schools were giving him- so he wasnt really going for "truth" or the good of college football.

justwin
12-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Been tied up this afternoon and tonight so I just got to read this thread. I apologize...I didn't expect some of you guys to take what I said to the extreme. I simply thought it was funny that Steve said that about Gray and then the VERY next day he came out with OM gear on. Never said I knew where he was going, who his leader was, or anything like that. I just thought it was funny how Steve is wrong so often and then it almost appeared as if Gray had said yea I'm leaning MSU, and then went and put on OM gear. I still think Gray will be a Dawg. My post was more geared towards Rosebowl. And for the ones questioning why I pick on Steve...it's because he has an ego and puts personal shit above MSU, and even hurts MSU at times. I don't hate him though. Todd and some others summed it up well.

Anyway, sorry that some of you took what I said and ran with it. I meant for it to be a funny thing to point out, and nobody to really care enough to post a reply. Never thought that post would lead to me "saying a recruit was going elsewhere" or "hating Steve". Some of you guys have active imaginations (I'm looking at you DogFather).

Anyway, carry on.

all of that makes sense and personality differences are part of life. I will say this about Steve though, he is the only guy on any subscription sight that I've seen that actually goes out and truly evaluates kids....I was a member back in 2011 and you really can't dictate what the tsun & auburn crooks do when they open their wallets. I remember him talking about Bernardrick McKinney early on. I just seems to me that most of those recruiting sights, whether MSU based or some of the national guys, really have no clue how to evaluate a kid. Yeah, it's easy to identify the most physically developed kid near a large city, but all of those guys were saying Nkemdiche was the second coming of Clowney and that dude shouldn't even be in the same discussion after what I saw this year. Either way, I would never want that job. This sight differentiates itself to me from the dozens of other msu sights b/c the posters actually talk/debate about the current team and roster which is more meaningful and fun.

justwin
12-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Nobody said Steve committed an NCAA violation. But when you help and take sides with the enemy- and make no mistake, Byron Devinner was the enemy- then that is referred to as treason. Benedict Arnold became famous for it. Jean and that group did a great deal of harm all in the name of "truth". The last thing you want to come out during recruiting is "truth". So let's stop with the accountability bullshit.

If there was true accountability in recruiting, Jordan-Hare would the South's largest soccer stadium now because Auburn's football program would be done. Instead of defending Steve- how about asking him "hey man, how could you be so friendly to a guy that was trying to bury our program???" Devinner didnt tell the NCAA about the money other schools were giving him- so he wasnt really going for "truth" or the good of college football.

curious - what ever happened to Devinner? Was he in any way punished (financially, expelled from the youth league circuit, etc)?

engie
12-13-2013, 01:39 PM
I will say this about Steve though, he is the only guy on any subscription sight that I've seen that actually goes out and truly evaluates kids....I was a member back in 2011 and you really can't dictate what the tsun & auburn crooks do when they open their wallets. I remember him talking about Bernardrick McKinney early on. I just seems to me that most of those recruiting sights, whether MSU based or some of the national guys, really have no clue how to evaluate a kid.

To my knowledge, Scout never had a single person go to a Houston game while Chris Jones was there -- and I don't think they ever reevaluated him during the season. 24/7 had at least 5 different regional and national guys go to his games on top of Paul Jones. They had people there nearly every week looking at him and were WAY ahead of the pack.

24/7 is so far ahead of scout when it comes to evaluating and actually watching games in MS that it's not even debatable(and Scout is generally way ahead of Rivals/ESPN). I'm not arguing that Rosey doesn't go watch games -- but he doesn't live in MS or anywhere near the primary talent bases that we pull from...

CJDAWG85
12-13-2013, 01:42 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha shit that's awesome

Political Hack
12-13-2013, 01:48 PM

that would be nice...

Political Hack
12-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Yancy probably gave him the shirt and $100 bucks to wear it.**

well they've paid recruits to not name certain schools during interviews. What's the difference?

Political Hack
12-13-2013, 01:56 PM
I thought Robertson was moving to Starkville? Didn't they announce that a long time ago?

smootness
12-13-2013, 01:58 PM
To my knowledge, Scout never had a single person go to a Houston game while Chris Jones was there -- and I don't think they ever reevaluated him during the season. 24/7 had at least 5 different regional and national guys go to his games on top of Paul Jones. They had people there nearly every week looking at him and were WAY ahead of the pack.

24/7 is so far ahead of scout when it comes to evaluating and actually watching games in MS that it's not even debatable(and Scout is generally way ahead of Rivals/ESPN). I'm not arguing that Rosey doesn't go watch games -- but he doesn't live in MS or anywhere near the primary talent bases that we pull from...

I'll defend Steve here. He does a pretty good job of making sure he sees guys in person, and he makes sure to get tape on guys when he can as well. He's done a good job of evaluating guys and seems to have a good understanding of football talent.

He touted guys like Whitley and Banks before they signed and has openly disagreed with Scout's official ratings/rankings. He was on top of Chris Jones and acknowledged early on that he looked like a stud prospect.

Scout may have been behind in his official rating, but Steve himself was on top of it.

justwin
12-13-2013, 03:15 PM

that's a good point about them not covering, but Jones was a "known" commodity once the season got going. I just never saw much more than gossip from 247 and rivals, but I only had a limitied subscription. Not arguing with you though, but I guess I was trying to make the point that I like hearing of the guys who don't get a lot of attention and are discovered by someone making an independent eval. The pay sights bore me with the daily gossip on what one of the known gem MS recruits is doing on a daily basis. I know I would hate being bothered daily if I was one of the gems. I remember how much the tsun crowd, especially porter, harassed Brassell and felt for the kid. Point being, I'm sure there will always be 4-5 guys who get exposure from MS every year b/c they're the cream of the crop. However, I WILL always believe that there are countless MS high school players that have equal or superior talent to any other state. Why those unnoticed guys don't get recognition is due to poor economy, poor coaching, facililities, georgraphic location, programs, parenting, etc. That's why I'm fully supportive of the MSU roster being fully stocked with MS high school kids, especially OL/DL/RB/DBs, just due to the shear untapped talent, but MSU will have to go out of state 90% of the time to get a qb. Mullen proved that he "gets" that when Vick Ballard, Chris White, Banks all exploded and worked their way into the nfl all after being unheard of before MSU.

Todd4State
12-13-2013, 05:24 PM
I think it is cool to hate on Steve. I know there is tons of misinformation in this thread. Heck Todd (who I like and respect as a poster) gave a full post about things about Steve then admitted that he didn't know anything other than the fact that Steve is from Canton (the one thing that Todd said he did know was actually wrong).

Actually Steve is not from Canton, but from somewhere in south Mississippi (Columbia maybe). His parents divorced and his father lived in Canton (Freddie Robertson). Freddie was a great man. Steve and his brother, Pat, would only come to Canton to visit their dad. They aren't from Canton, and did not live in Canton. In the house with Freddie was his 2nd wife, his two step-daughters (Kim and Nikki), and his daughter with his 2nd wife (Reagan). Steve and Pat lived with their mom (I assume in Columbia or wherever).

Steve is a good guy and means well. He makes some wrong predictions at times but hindsight is 20/20. Kids change their minds or give him some bad info sometimes, but that happens to everyone.

OK- so I was mistaken about him being from Canton, but obviously he does have family there, so thanks for the clarification. Like I said, I don't know him personally.

Everything else I wrote was about his product, which I am more than familiar with and is truth- so explain to me how that is not knowing what I am talking about? Heck, today on his board he was complaining about being up until 4 AM and therefore no bones.

Is Steve a "bad person"? Probably not. But he's in a business where he's being paid to be right. And if he's wrong, then he is going to get blasted. In business you are also going to be compared to your competitors. 247 puts out a much superior product.

You talk about accountability- where's the accountability for Genespage for befriending DeVinner? Mirando was fired, Redmond was suspended an unfairly long amount of time, and the booster was disassociated and took the fall for it. Yet if you challenge Rosebowl about it, all they will say is "revisionist history" (which is what Rosebowl did on twitter) or ban you from Genespage. Honestly, if I was Scott and Keenum, I would have been royally pissed and banned them from MSU media and disassociated them as well.