PDA

View Full Version : Sean Rawlings named Metro Linemen of the Year

Thick
12-11-2013, 10:35 PM
DM was at MRA today, and was having in-home tonight with Sean and family. Just a little FYI.

Coach34
12-11-2013, 10:38 PM
damn 2-star Academy lineman...we won't beat Rice recruiting these types**

engie
12-11-2013, 11:25 PM
OM is scrambling right now looking for a perception boost...

Guess this means they don't feel very good about getting Sims....

Political Hack
12-11-2013, 11:26 PM
congrats to him. that's awesome. have a feeling it won't be his last award.

CadaverDawg
12-11-2013, 11:32 PM
OM is scrambling right now looking for a perception boost...

Guess this means they don't feel very good about getting Sims....

^This^

Does anyone else get the feeling that there are more MSU fans than ever "pulling on the rope" so to speak? I think the fact that we ended positively this year, 4th straight bowl, egg bowl win, 2014 class picking up steam, strong 2015 class, etc.... Has the Rebs reeling. **** em, I hope we create a snowball of momentum so big it swallows their asses up.

Todd4State
12-11-2013, 11:37 PM
The MAIS is like an o-line goldmine.

Addison Lawrence, Beckwith, Malone, Clayborn, and now Rawlings. Heck- that's a solid line right there! I didn't even mention Anthony Steen. And then there's Matt Womack whom we are likely going to get in the next class.

If we get Patterson, Womack and then three MAIS guys, I'll be OK with that.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2013, 12:22 AM
I like MAIS lineman because they are usually better coached, smarter kids, high football IQ, and ultimately have higher "floors" than some possibly more talented public school kids.

Since OL is the hardest position to evaluate anyway, we may as take the guys that are smart, can digest information, and show high football aptitude. They simply get on the field quicker and offer you a greater chance at hitting on a special player.

Not sure why, but every time I look at Rawlings I think of Barrett Jones.

Bo Darville
12-12-2013, 08:39 AM
I've been saying for years that there is some overlooked talent in the MAIS schools. The MAIS players outnumbered the MHSAA players on one first-team ALL-SEC team (Anthony Steen and Cody Prewitt versus Gabe Jackson) despite being outnumbered each year in signees probably 20-1.. Ridley is a tailback in the NFL, Steen has started for 3-4 years for a Saban O-line (let that sink in), Prewitt is an All-SEC safety, A. Lawrence started 3 years at tackle, Cam is with the Dallas Cowboys, Malone started as a redshirt freshman, Clayborn looks good, Swedenburg is great punter.

The success rate is incredible. Who are the MAIS SEC signees who have busted out? Tip McKenzie at Vandy got in trouble. But name others who have failed at the SEC level or can't move up the depth chart? Fact is they have pretty much all become starters and All-SEC type performers.

K9 Avenger
12-12-2013, 09:05 AM
I've been saying for years that there is some overlooked talent in the MAIS schools. The MAIS players outnumbered the MHSAA players on one first-team ALL-SEC team (Anthony Steen and Cody Prewitt versus Gabe Jackson) despite being outnumbered each year in signees probably 20-1.. Ridley is a tailback in the NFL, Steen has started for 3-4 years for a Saban O-line (let that sink in), Prewitt is an All-SEC safety, A. Lawrence started 3 years at tackle, Cam is with the Dallas Cowboys, Malone started as a redshirt freshman, Clayborn looks good, Swedenburg is great punter.

The success rate is incredible. Who are the MAIS SEC signees who have busted out? Tip McKenzie at Vandy got in trouble. But name others who have failed at the SEC level or can't move up the depth chart? Fact is they have pretty much all become starters and All-SEC type performers.
Yes...the one or two D-1 players the MAIS continues to crank out every year usually do end up being good players...

Jack Lambert
12-12-2013, 09:20 AM
DM was at MRA today, and was having in-home tonight with Sean and family. Just a little FYI.

So what you are telling me is a 2 Star OL from a private school is Metro Lineman of the year where a 4 star OL from Callaway is not.

Bo Darville
12-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Yes...the one or two D-1 players the MAIS continues to crank out every year usually do end up being good players...

I understand that there are far less MAIS signees than MHSAA signees in the SEC, as the talent pool is larger in the MHSAA. However, the success rate of the MAIS kids (let's say become a 2-year starter at a minimum) far exceeds the MHSAA kids and it is not even close.

K9 Avenger
12-12-2013, 09:26 AM
I understand that there are far less MAIS signees than MHSAA signees in the SEC, as the talent pool is larger in the MHSAA. However, the success rate of the MAIS kids (let's say become a 2-year starter at a minimum) far exceeds the MHSAA kids and it is not even close.

I can't argue with that

Coach34
12-12-2013, 09:40 AM
So what you are telling me is a 2 Star OL from a private school is Metro Lineman of the year where a 4 star OL from Callaway is not.

yep- pretty much

Original48
12-12-2013, 09:49 AM
It looks like they shared the award..

http://m.wapt.com/sports/metros-best-tapped-at-blitz-16-gala/-/17425008/23406246/-/88ajak/-/index.html

Thick
12-12-2013, 09:55 AM

No, what I am telling you is that one of our commits was recognized as one of the best linemen in the metro area. Stars don't mean crap unless you are looking to win a recruiting championship....ala OM!

Goat Holder
12-12-2013, 10:20 AM
Won't be good if Ole Miss comes calling. You heard it here first.

Thick
12-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Won't be good if Ole Miss comes calling. You heard it here first.

You are absolutely wrong....the family does not like the way they have been treated in the process by OM. Nix snubs his nose at private school, Mullen and Knox have had numerous conversations about Sean's future, plus Sean likes Hevesy. That's right, he LIKES Hevesy!! The Rawlings are good people, and I think that OM really hurt them by the way their son has been treated.

He might be MAIS, but he whipped some high rated linemen at the Big Dawg camp. He needs 2 years, one year with Balis and 2 to get acclimated to the system. That young man has a lot of upside, smart, really good feet, and good frame and size to build from plus he has a little nasty in him too!

Goat Holder
12-12-2013, 10:34 AM
I hope you're right. I have no inside info on this situation. I'm just going off history. Typically, the first-love lifelong fan school has to REALLY f*ck up to not get the player if they truly want him. Jay Barker was told by Alabama over and over that he'd never play QB and wasn't good enough there. He was basically committed to Auburn. Alabama offered him last minute and guess what happened?

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2013, 10:45 AM
I hope you're right. I have no inside info on this situation. I'm just going off history. Typically, the first-love lifelong fan school has to REALLY f*ck up to not get the player if they truly want him. Jay Barker was told by Alabama over and over that he'd never play QB and wasn't good enough there. He was basically committed to Auburn. Alabama offered him last minute and guess what happened?

I wish our fans could stop thinking like this. You have no information, yet say something like that. It's a loser attitude and you have no idea who these people are or what the believe in.

Why say stuff like that? What good does it do?

pawofdawg
12-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Sean Rawlings is 3 stars on rivals and 24/7. scout hasn't rated him yet and the 2 stars there are just a placeholder. for whatever reason, scout just can't seem to get around to it. if he were in georgia, texas or florida, he'd have 4 stars. 6'6" 290, 4.9 40. smart, very athletic (see that for yourself on the bb court) and a mean streak. and he loves the dogs. late "discovery" b/c of mais and injury last year but he's been discovered now. and its only just begun for him. we'll see him playing for a long time.

Thick
12-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Sean Rawlings is 3 stars on rivals and 24/7. scout hasn't rated him yet and the 2 stars there are just a placeholder. for whatever reason, scout just can't seem to get around to it. if he were in georgia, texas or florida, he'd have 4 stars. 6'6" 290, 4.9 40. smart, very athletic (see that for yourself on the bb court) and a mean streak. and he loves the dogs. late "discovery" b/c of mais and injury last year but he's been discovered now. and its only just begun for him. we'll see him playing for a long time.

Good post, and I believe, spot on!

tcdog70
12-12-2013, 11:20 AM

He is Kin, His folks say He is good with Us. They mean what they say. he Likes MSU

Goat Holder
12-12-2013, 11:32 AM
It's not a loser attitude. It's realizing reality. The kid grew up an Ole Miss fan. That's not a knock on MSU.

engie
12-12-2013, 11:42 AM
"Growing up an Ole Miss fan" does not supercede what you view as mistreatment in recruiting -- and knowing you are a distant fall-back option for one while you are a priority for another.

It's like dating -- when you pursue a girl that spurns you -- and then comes back looking for you after she's gained 30 lbs and you are dating a new one that looks just as good as the first one ever did on her best day and is alot more loyal. Are you going back running?

You name an example of a flip to "support that position"... What about Beniquez Brown? Lifelong Auburn fan -- is given the run-around by Auburn in recruiting -- gets a committable offer from them the week before NSD after they missed on a bunch of people. He rewarded them with a hat fake -- and they aren't going to want to see him on the field in the coming seasons. What about Dak Prescott? Lifelong LSU fan(obviously) -- kept lukewarm by LSU in recruiting while he was our #1 target -- gets an LSU offer in November or early December(Dak was an EE, so he "signed" in early December) -- tells them that he's sticking with the team that made him a priority instead of being their 3rd or 4th qb option in that single c/o 2011. For every example you can give of flips -- I can give one where the players stick.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2013, 11:55 AM
"Growing up an Ole Miss fan" does not supercede what you view as mistreatment in recruiting -- and knowing you are a distant fall-back option for one while you are a priority for another.

It's like dating -- when you pursue a girl that spurns you -- and then comes back looking for you after she's gained 30 lbs and you are dating a new one that looks just as good as the first one ever did on her best day and is alot more loyal. Are you going back running?

You name an example of a flip to "support that position"... What about Beniquez Brown? Lifelong Auburn fan -- is given the run-around by Auburn in recruiting -- gets a committable offer from them the week before NSD after they missed on a bunch of people. He rewarded them with a hat fake -- and they aren't going to want to see him on the field in the coming seasons. What about Dak Prescott? Lifelong LSU fan(obviously) -- kept lukewarm by LSU in recruiting while he was our #1 target -- gets an LSU offer in November or early December(Dak was an EE, so he "signed" in early December) -- tells them that he's sticking with the team that made him a priority instead of being their 3rd or 4th qb option in that single c/o 2011. For every example you can give of flips -- I can give one where the players stick.

Agree Engie, nothing worse than inaccurate assumptions made by people with no inside knowledge of the situation

Goat Holder
12-12-2013, 12:16 PM
And it took a battle to keep every one of those recruits. That's all I was saying. Don't put words into my mouth.

If Ole Miss offers the guy, he'll think about it. I would, if I was him. Doesn't mean he'll go. Depends on how much he loves Ole Miss. And none of us know that. One thing you have inaccurate - Ole Miss isn't exactly 30 lbs. heavier. All they did was lose the Egg Bowl, it's not the end of their program. Their 2011 season should have shown you that.

Loser attitude? You guys are thinking WAY too much about that.

Barking 13
12-12-2013, 01:06 PM
Ask him who the toughest kid in camp this summer was......

Original48
12-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Also like his twitter background...@RAWL35 and a nice pic of he and Justin Malone (former MRA teammate) holding the Egg Bowl trophy post game.

pawofdawg
12-12-2013, 01:45 PM
Also like his twitter background...@RAWL35 and a nice pic of he and Justin Malone (former MRA teammate) holding the Egg Bowl trophy post game.

the thing i like about that photo is justin is every bit of 6'7". and sean looks to be the same size. BIG dudes for the dawgs for a long time

Dawgfan77
12-12-2013, 01:59 PM
And it took a battle to keep every one of those recruits. That's all I was saying. Don't put words into my mouth.

If Ole Miss offers the guy, he'll think about it. I would, if I was him. Doesn't mean he'll go. Depends on how much he loves Ole Miss. And none of us know that. One thing you have inaccurate - Ole Miss isn't exactly 30 lbs. heavier. All they did was lose the Egg Bowl, it's not the end of their program. Their 2011 season should have shown you that.

Loser attitude? You guys are thinking WAY too much about that.
Goat are you this negative with everything in life or just MSU. Every damn post you make puts State in a negative light. You strike me as a guy who would complain if he got laid by a supermodel.

Goat Holder
12-12-2013, 02:04 PM
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?10222-How-big-were-these-last-three-games-for-our-football-program&p=104105#post104105

Negative, negative

Bo Darville
12-12-2013, 02:09 PM
We have batted 1.000 on MAIS linemen that have played under Hevesy (Addison Lawrence, Malone, Clayborn, Beckwith). I know that Lawrence was not recruited by this staff and Beckwith walked-on. There is not one single bust to date among those 4. Too early to tell on Clayborn, but Coach57 sang his praises in August and he looked great when he played. Not one wasted scholly in the bunch. 100% success rate. Four successes on just 3 scholarship offers.

Our success rate on MHSAA linemen is much less than 50%, maybe less than 25%. Gabe Jackson was a success obviously. Sherrod and Saulsberry were good. Tobias Smith had health issues. Redmond, Knox, Lawson, Maiden never played. Damian Robinson has done nothing. Templeton Hardy was a bust. Jury is out on Desper and Cole Carter. Flowers and Jake Thomas have not played (redshirted). So if we take out the the true freshmen and redshirt freshmen, we have 4 success on 10 scholarship offers. That is including Tobias Smith as a success.

I think Mullen and Hevesy see that there is something to look at.

EnterpriseDawg
12-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Fwiw...he's dad is on 247 and he told everyone not to worry. He is very much a dawg.

engie
12-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Fwiw...he's dad is on 247 and he told everyone not to worry. He is very much a dawg.

Goat knows better**

Goat Holder
12-12-2013, 02:34 PM
I don't pay money for recruiting sites, so no, I do not know better. I do not spend my life waiting on quotes by a recruit's father to make my day.

EnterpriseDawg
12-12-2013, 02:39 PM
I don't pay money for recruiting sites, so no, I do not know better. I do not spend my life waiting on quotes by a recruit's father to make my day.

Didn't have to wait for it. He said it months ago before we knew who he was. Since you don't pay for the site and had reservations about said recruit I thought i would share what little info I had. You're welcome.

pawofdawg
12-12-2013, 02:53 PM

as the great dawg in the sky once said, just let go of the goat

i don't care who you are, thats funny right there

Coach34
12-12-2013, 03:04 PM
It's not a loser attitude. It's realizing reality. The kid grew up an Ole Miss fan. That's not a knock on MSU.

I do have inside info on this one- he is solid with us