PDA

View Full Version : We need to hire John Baxter from USC as TE/ST Coach ASAP

deltadawg99
12-11-2013, 09:54 PM
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=John-Baxter-could-move-to-academic-role-at-USC

http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/baxter_john00.html

After reading the above 2 articles and doing some research, we need to get this guy on staff immediately if Sark tries to move him to an office job.

M.Fillmore
12-11-2013, 09:58 PM
I'd like us to hire Shrek. He is nuts but he can recruit and it would drive the bears over the edge.

Todd4State
12-12-2013, 01:56 AM
I'd like us to hire Shrek. He is nuts but he can recruit and it would drive the bears over the edge.

He and Bracky would end up destroying the Bryan Building. O doesn't fit MSU.

Todd4State
12-12-2013, 01:57 AM
http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=John-Baxter-could-move-to-academic-role-at-USC

http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/baxter_john00.html

After reading the above 2 articles and doing some research, we need to get this guy on staff immediately if Sark tries to move him to an office job.

I do think he would be a great hire. He has connections to California, which is a place with a lot of talent that we don't have much of a connection with right now.

DawgInMemphis
12-12-2013, 08:59 AM

We couldn't afford him at this point after his performance filling in at USC.

codeDawg
12-12-2013, 09:34 AM
We couldn't afford him at this point after his performance filling in at USC.

No doubt. He'll be a $1MM coordinator or HC at a smaller program soon.

smootness
12-12-2013, 09:36 AM
I do think he would be a great hire. He has connections to California, which is a place with a lot of talent that we don't have much of a connection with right now.

I'll be honest, this is actually not what I want. There are a lot of schools with their hands in CA and there are a lot of schools already getting the leftovers from USC, Oregon, and the like. We might pull a kid here or there, but it probably wouldn't be a big-time target, and we would suffer some connections of places a lot closer where we have a better shot.

I'd rather get a coach with deep connections in LA, for instance, than someone from CA. I think that would help us more.

601Dawg
12-12-2013, 11:12 AM
He probably was making more at USC that our coordinators make

DawgInMemphis
12-12-2013, 11:17 AM
I'll be honest, this is actually not what I want. There are a lot of schools with their hands in CA and there are a lot of schools already getting the leftovers from USC, Oregon, and the like. We might pull a kid here or there, but it probably wouldn't be a big-time target, and we would suffer some connections of places a lot closer where we have a better shot.

I'd rather get a coach with deep connections in LA, for instance, than someone from CA. I think that would help us more.

I agree with this 100%.

engie
12-12-2013, 11:31 AM
He probably was making more at USC that our coordinators make

He was making more at USC than our coordinators make combined.
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/news/story?id=5196431

That was just his initial contract. He was bumped to $850-900k after Monte resigned...

deltadawg99
12-12-2013, 12:41 PM
I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't be making that if he isn't retained by Sark and is moved to an academic role.

Dawg61
12-12-2013, 05:48 PM
I completely agree. Cali is the forbidden fruit for a school like MSU. It does more harm than good to pursue the talent there. Louisiana is the state I'd put a second recruiter on. I think that state is loaded with freak athletes and most schools don't spend enough time searching through the swamps to get em. MSU should be landing 5+ from that state every year.

Todd4State
12-12-2013, 05:59 PM

That's really no different than Texas or Florida for us. I don't think we should try to get 5+ Californians, but I do think having someone that has a connection out there would be beneficial in case a California version of the Fred Ross situation pops up. We have Les who has connection in Texas and Gonzalez (among others) has connections in Florida as it is.

Todd4State
12-12-2013, 06:00 PM
I completely agree. Cali is the forbidden fruit for a school like MSU. It does more harm than good to pursue the talent there. Louisiana is the state I'd put a second recruiter on. I think that state is loaded with freak athletes and most schools don't spend enough time searching through the swamps to get em. MSU should be landing 5+ from that state every year.

Louisiana is the best kept secret in the country. And forget the swamps- a lot of those coaches don't even seem to want to go to New Orleans. They're probably scared of the voo doo.

Johnson85
12-12-2013, 06:28 PM

Like somebody that was from there and even coached for the Saints for a little while? Did the Ogre somehow pick up that accent without being from Louisiana? I think I just assumed he grew up in the swamps of Louisiana.

Regardless, if we for some reason had a booster offer to pay $1M a year for the OGre and another $200k or so to keep Bracky locked up, I'm pretty sure Orgeron could quickly establish recruiting contacts.

Dawg61
12-12-2013, 07:02 PM
MSU needs to set up shop in 3 states. MS of course, AL and LA. If Mullen takes the same attitude he has with MS and just expands through AL and LA we'd be talking about 15 year long bowl streaks.

Dawg61
12-12-2013, 07:11 PM
Ogre is going to cash in that HC chip he just earned. He has no interest in being an assistant and certainly not with MSU. We spent 4 years making up gorilla songs about him.(still one of my fav songs all-time) What's funny to me is that MSU including myself has grown an affinity towards the man. If you take away that song I bet we wouldn't give 2 turds for him.

M.Fillmore
12-12-2013, 11:17 PM
He and Bracky would end up destroying the Bryan Building. O doesn't fit MSU.

I'm okay with you disagreeing with me. But I hope you aren't saying that Bracky fits MSU.

Dawg61
12-13-2013, 12:55 AM
Nobody wants Bracky within 50 miles of MSU

Todd4State
12-13-2013, 01:57 AM
I'm okay with you disagreeing with me. But I hope you aren't saying that Bracky fits MSU.

I'm not saying that Bracky fits MSU, but unfortunately he is part of the equation. But beyond that, I can't see Coach O and Dan getting along either. They both have a totally different view of recruiting and how recruiting is done. I think there would be a LOT of disagreements between O and Dan and I also think that Bracky would be a huge obstacle for Coach O. Coach O has a short fuse and I could see there being a LOT of tension from the coaching staff with a Coach O on board. I would seriously fear an embarrassing incident with Coach O on staff- like a fist fight on the sideline or something. There's a damn good reason why USC didn't want him back as a head coach even though he turned the team around.

And on top of that, Scott is going to have Dan and Bracky's back. And Keenum is going to support Scott. I'm 100% sure on that.

The other thing is Coach O is a d-line coach. I have no idea if he can coach ST or not. Maybe he can, but it's certainly a risk.

Todd4State
12-13-2013, 02:00 AM
MSU needs to set up shop in 3 states. MS of course, AL and LA. If Mullen takes the same attitude he has with MS and just expands through AL and LA we'd be talking about 15 year long bowl streaks.

The thing about Alabama and Louisiana is we have to take the next 2-3 guys off of Auburn, Alabama, LSU's list. And don't forget about Memphis.