PDA

View Full Version : Auburn assistants to get pay raise

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2013, 09:45 PM
I find it interesting that this article was written the day after Ole Miss gave pay raises to their assistants, and makes me wonder if we really will be gaining any ground if we give our assistants a raise. I'm all for giving them a raise, but it seems as if the "haves" will just bump their assistants up the same amount, and thus we will never gain ground.

How do we gain ground, and, if not, does it do any good to give assistants raises?

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2013/12/auburn_assistants_will_receive.html

FlabLoser
12-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Well one thing is for sure - you sure as hell don't let yourself fall farther behind by doing nothing.

smootness
12-11-2013, 10:28 PM
We gain ground by paying more.

Yes, it does good.

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Well one thing is for sure - you sure as hell don't let yourself fall farther behind by doing nothing.

I agree, we have to bump ours up to match OM and the same percentage as Auburn

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2013, 10:37 PM
We gain ground by paying more.

Yes, it does good.

How are we gaining ground if Auburn, Bama, UGA, etc just bump their assistants the same amount as us?

Is this just a stupid game where we are all wasting money, when we all know damn well that Bama and Auburn won't allow us to gain ground on coaching salaries?

If we pay $10 and Auburn and Bama pay $20, and we bump ours up to $15 and Bama and Auburn bump theirs up to $25, what ground have we made up? And what have all of us done except waste $5 a piece.

FlabLoser
12-11-2013, 10:43 PM
How are we gaining ground if Auburn, Bama, UGA, etc just bump their assistants the same amount as us?

Is this just a stupid game where we are all wasting money, when we all know damn well that Bama and Auburn won't allow us to gain ground on coaching salaries?

If we pay $10 and Auburn and Bama pay $20, and we bump ours up to $15 and Bama and Auburn bump theirs up to $25, what ground have we made up? And what have all of us done except waste $5 a piece.

Bama is gonna bump to $25 regardless. We gotta bump too or fall farther behind every year, or at least slow the pace of falling farther behind.

Coach34
12-11-2013, 10:53 PM

We wont ever close the gap on the Big 7 of the SEC- it's a folly to think we will. But we can close the gap and/or stay ahead the Ga Tech's, Virginia Tech's, TCU's, Utah's, Oregon State's, etc....We have to keep assistants from leaving to other places besides SEC schools- as well as attract assistants from those schools

engie
12-11-2013, 11:21 PM

See -- here's the problem with this approach.

10 is 50% of 20. 15 is 60% of 25. 20 is 66% of 30. 30 is 75% of 40.

While the "gap" might not get narrower -- the percentages certainly do. Therefore helping us more and more as it climbs.

This is why the SEC money helps us more than the big programs anyway. Even though the "gap" gets no narrower -- the percentages represented in the gap CERTAINLY gets alot smaller.

ShotgunDawg
12-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Great points fellas. When I saw this article, I just thought it was something need to be hashed out.

I certainly agree that we could and should be distancing ourselves from our "equals" in other conferences.

I also understand the percentages, but a coach will still leave us for a better paying job, no matter if Bama only increases their pay by 10% and we increase it by 50%.

I think the better argument is to make sure that we stay ahead of every out of conference school, and possibly pay our coordinators more than some lower level head coaching jobs. All in an effort to limit the likelihood that we could lose good assistants.