PDA

View Full Version : Coaching turnover among our assistants

601Dawg
12-11-2013, 03:24 PM
What do you guys think happens after the bowl game???

Sallach- Most likely to get the axe or be reassigned like he was going to be last spring before Brewster left us.
Hopefully he will be replaced with a Special teams coach who has a history and background as a primary ST coach.

Koening- Les has done a good job but I feel we need to do better if we want to make that next step to compete with the big boys in the SEC West. Im sure that Dan has some connections throughout the country who wouldn't mind landing a job as an SEC OC.

The rest of the staff pretty much seems safe based on the job that they did this year.

smootness
12-11-2013, 03:27 PM
I agree that Sallach will probably be moved to another position within the football program.

I don't see Koenning going anywhere, and that's fine. It's Mullen's offense, and Koenning seems to do well with our QBs and is a pretty good recruiter.

I think the only real candidates to take another job would be Collins/Townsend/Gonzales, but I feel ok about Collins and Gonzales staying on. We'll see on Townsend, but it would be huge for us to keep everybody around.

601Dawg
12-11-2013, 03:29 PM
I may be in the minority, but Ive never been a big fan of Koening. I know its Dan's offense but I just feel we could be better suited with a former QB who is now coaching calling plays who could also be a solid recruiter like Major Applewhite has done at Texas and Damayune Craig at FSU. (not saying we get those guys, just that we could get a similar type coach)

Coach34
12-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Mullen calls the plays and runs the offense.

Koenning recruits, coaches QB's, and sometimes helps gameplan. Getting rid of Koenning will not change our offense one tiny bit.

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2013, 03:44 PM
I don't get what everyone's problem with Koenning is.

1. Our QBs development has been better than at any point in our school's history.
2. By all accounts he is a pretty good recruiter
3. Mullen and Hevesy call all the plays. Koenning has little to nothing to do with it.
4. Handles the media well. Every week Koenning is one of my favorite interviews to listen to. Well spoken and gives insight.
5. Provides a level headed yin to Mullen's yang. Koenning is a completely different personality than Mullen and I actually think they work well together.

What does everyone dislike about this guy?

We just had a true freaking freshman prepared enough to keep us in the game against OM for 3 1/3 quarters. Then the superstar QB, that Koenning developed, came off the bench to save the day.

IMO, Koenning is blamed for a perception problem, due to his age, and people not actually knowing what his real duties are.

601Dawg
12-11-2013, 03:45 PM
True, but getting a better recruiting OC could help a TON. JMO

Les never has impressed me at all and has the personality of a snail.

slickdawg
12-11-2013, 03:48 PM
All I ask is to replace the special teams coach. Let the head coach focus on being head coach and nothing else.

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2013, 03:49 PM

Again, perception problem. A new OC won't help a bit because Mullen and Hevesy run the offense and call all the plays.

You want to replace the OC after we had the best offense in school history this season while also using 3 QBs, and next year we have a superstar QB taking the reigns?

That makes no sense.

hailmari
12-11-2013, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I used to not like Les but then it became more apparent to me that Mullen calls the plays. Les seems to do a pretty good job with the QBs and he's a solid crooter. I'd only wanna get rid of/reassign him if we were to land a sure-fire upgrade.

We just gotta find a way to get Mullen to adjust during games.

sandwolf
He has always seemed to be a pretty personable guy in the few interviews I have seen with him. And if I am not mistaken, he has been pretty productive on the recruiting trail.....I believe he was Fred Ross' primary recruiter.

ShotgunDawg
All I ask is to replace the special teams coach. Let the head coach focus on being head coach and nothing else.

THIS

DownwardDawg
12-11-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't get what everyone's problem with Koenning is.

1. Our QBs development has been better than at any point in our school's history.2. By all accounts he is a pretty good recruiter
3. Mullen and Hevesy call all the plays. Koenning has little to nothing to do with it.
4. Handles the media well. Every week Koenning is one of my favorite interviews to listen to. Well spoken and gives insight.
5. Provides a level headed yin to Mullen's yang. Koenning is a completely different personality than Mullen and I actually think they work well together.

What does everyone dislike about this guy?

We just had a true freaking freshman prepared enough to keep us in the game against OM for 3 1/3 quarters. Then the superstar QB, that Koenning developed, came off the bench to save the day.

IMO, Koenning is blamed for a perception problem, due to his age, and people not actually knowing what his real duties are.

You won after that statement. Our QB development has been great!

BulldogDX55
12-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Also, Les works pretty cheap.

Coach34
12-11-2013, 04:14 PM
I can see the statement being made to get a younger guy that is a bonafide recruiter to take Les' place. I've even said as much myself. But don't expect the offense to change with it.

Hunkaburningdawg
12-11-2013, 04:20 PM
It would be nice to get the OC from EMCC. They only averaged about 63 points per game. Something must be working there.

Dawg61
12-11-2013, 04:39 PM
This!! Bring on the HC too.

PMDawg2
12-11-2013, 05:01 PM
I think Sallach will get moved, but the only other movement will be if someone leaves. If Dan hasn't seen the need for a ST coach in 5 years, why would he now? I wish he would get one (The Kang would be nice**), but don't expect him to.

Westdawg
12-11-2013, 05:03 PM

i will admit that I was once in this same mindset, but the more I see of our offense and the more I hear players and recruits talk about Les, the more I tend to believe that he is a good QB coach, and a very good recruiter. I don't see any change with Les unless he retires. If that happens, then I am all for going after a proven commodity at that staff position.

Big4Dawg
12-11-2013, 05:04 PM
I think Sallach will get moved, but the only other movement will be if someone leaves. If Dan hasn't seen the need for a ST coach in 5 years, why would he now? I wish he would get one (The Kang would be nice**), but don't expect him to.

this is the first year ST have actually hurt us. We've never been exactly good or bad under Mullen.

thf24
12-11-2013, 05:25 PM
This will probably sound very ignorant of me, but why does Sallach have to be kept around? If he's as mediocre enough to warrant the move in the first place, why did we move him back to TE coach after Brewster left instead of keeping him in the office and hiring a new assistant?

preachermatt83
12-11-2013, 05:37 PM
I think there will be zero changes. I wish we would hire a ST coach but we won't. We better pony up the dollars for all our defensive assistants. The development of our secondary by Townsend was very impressive. Turner has turned our Dline into a beast and Collins proved himself as the year progressed in a major way.

preachermatt83
12-11-2013, 05:39 PM
we had a heckuva ST when shane beemer was coaching them. He is a good recruiter too. Wish we could have kept him around.

smootness
12-11-2013, 05:41 PM
This will probably sound very ignorant of me, but why does Sallach have to be kept around? If he's as mediocre enough to warrant the move in the first place, why did we move him back to TE coach after Brewster left instead of keeping him in the office and hiring a new assistant?

My guess is at that point, it was easier for us to move him back for a year than to try to go get somebody else. Brewster fell in our laps late in the game, but usually if you're having to make a move like that after signing day, you're not going to end up with a stud AC.

Coach34
12-11-2013, 05:41 PM
we had a heckuva ST when shane beemer was coaching them. He is a good recruiter too. Wish we could have kept him around.

Beamer couldnt stop laughing at Crooms long enough to stick around. Tells some great stories though

preachermatt83
12-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Beamer couldnt stop laughing at Crooms long enough to stick around. Tells some great stories though

I bet that's the truth.

Big4Dawg
12-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Does he coach TE's too?

601Dawg
12-11-2013, 08:07 PM

He married a Mississippi girl. Hes not leaving his dad and va Tech though.

MaroonState
12-11-2013, 08:26 PM
this is the first year ST have actually hurt us. We've never been exactly good or bad under Mullen.
The South Carolina home game a few years ago sticks out in my mind as one where the missed field goal cost us a shot at that game.

Homedawg
12-11-2013, 10:05 PM
It would be nice to get the OC from EMCC. They only averaged about 63 points per game. Something must be working there.

Not knocking Stephens but Marcus wood calls the plays. He's a good coach but he'll admit he has great players.

engie
12-11-2013, 11:16 PM
The South Carolina home game a few years ago sticks out in my mind as one where the missed field goal cost us a shot at that game.

And LSU 2011 as well...

Madisonmd
12-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Koenning is one of the better recruiters on this staff.

601Dawg
12-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Koenning is one of the better recruiters on this staff.

Other than Fred Ross (who had family connections at MSU with his cousin )

MSUMatt
12-12-2013, 11:29 AM

True, but they are fielding a Division 1 football team in JUCO. A lot like Jones in the late 90's, Pearl River in 2003-2005, and Gulf Coast most recently.

tcdog70
12-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Scooba's Starting DL will play on Sundays

Johnson85
12-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Also, Les works pretty cheap.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Unless we decide to pony up big money for an OC, it would be stupid to get rid of Les. What he's responsible for he seems to be good at. Our qb's develop, we seem to execute on offense fairly well even if our play calling is atrocious at times, and it seems he's ok as a recruiter (I have no clue on this last part, just going on what has been said in this thread). I would like to have somebody help with our play calling, but that's probably a Mullen personality issue more than an OC issue, so I don't see why we'd give up what Les gives us to bring in an unknown. With what we pay, any good hire we make will be gone within a year or two max. Why give up the stability that Les brings when he seems to do pretty well at the things Mullen relies on him for?