PDA

View Full Version : Will James....

CadaverDawg
04-23-2013, 02:39 PM
I'm admittedly bad and dont have the attention span when it comes to stats and understanding the whole Sabermetrics and "Moneyball" aspects of baseball.

But I would love to see what our batting order would look like if it was designed based off of "Moneyball" mindset based off of current numbers at this point in the season. There may not be a way to determine it by batting order, but I'd like to see a breakdown of our team at this point in the season, and what, if any, batting order or lineup changes would make sense.

If it's a ton of work don't worry about it. But where do you see changes needed in statistics to maximize offensive production?

Will James
04-23-2013, 02:55 PM
We're pretty much getting the best out of our lineup. Any changes would probably be within the margin of error and not correlate much to W and L. I would look to moving Pirtle out of cleanup though. At this point, here's what I would do.

Frazier SS
Detz 3B
Pirtle 2B
Renfroe RF
Rea 1B
Bradford CF
Ammirati C
Porter/Norris/Slauter DH
Armstrong LF

Cohen's game management has vastly improved from last year's SEC play. We just need to cut down on bonehead baserunning.

CadaverDawg
04-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Yea, I definitely didn't want Renfroe at cleanup early in the year, but now I would love to swap him and Pirtle. You gotta like your chances of getting a guy or two on base ahead of Renfroe with Frazier, Detz, and Pirtle up there. I also like hitting Rea behind Renfroe, especially now that Rea is a power threat.

Having Porter and Ammirati in the 7 and 8 hole would be some nice balance.

Will James
04-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Yup like Ive said previously the 1st inning is the only lineup you can control which is why more runs are scored in the 1st than any other inning. Having Renfroe 3rd is a waste. If 1 and 2 get out, you have your best guy wasted with nobody on AND two outs. If any one of the top 3 get on, Renfroe will still hit in the 1st inning, but assured an AB with a runner on. If the top three go 3 up, 3 down, we'll have our best hitter leading off the next inning with our best chance of getting on and scoring position with 0 outs rather than 2.

Will James
04-23-2013, 03:30 PM
But if we wanted to get crazy we could successfully go

Pirtle - 3rd in SEC OBP behind 34 and 35
Frazier
Ammirati - .366 SEC OBP
Renfroe
Rea
Slauter
Bradford
Detz - Look at SEC stats, he's been brought back down to Earth
Armstrong

Homedawg
04-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Yup like Ive said previously the 1st inning is the only lineup you can control which is why more runs are scored in the 1st than any other inning. Having Renfroe 3rd is a waste. If 1 and 2 get out, you have your best guy wasted with nobody on AND two outs. If any one of the top 3 get on, Renfroe will still hit in the 1st inning, but assured an AB with a runner on. If the top three go 3 up, 3 down, we'll have our best hitter leading off the next inning with our best chance of getting on and scoring position with 0 outs rather than 2.

However, if they get on, which those two ahead of him are more likely to do than anyone else on our team, you have the chance to score runs in the first. And for that matter, they are more likely to be on the next at bat and the next. I like the best hitter third. Always have always will. Our predicament is we don't have a true protector of him. And short of Frazier hitting behind him we won't. Pirtle going into last week had the second best ba in sec games only on the team. He hit the ball hard numerous times last weekend just right at folks. With that said, putting rea behind him would be ok w me too. However, he is more likely to punch out too. I think at this point it remains the same because since Pirtle moved there our offense has improved AND, here's the big one, we have been winning. Even Cohen,who has been notorious to swapping the lineup around based on the previous game, isn't going to mess w that.

Homedawg
04-23-2013, 03:31 PM
But if we wanted to get crazy we could successfully go

Pirtle - 3rd in SEC OBP behind 34 and 35
Frazier
Ammirati - .366 SEC OBP
Renfroe
Rea
Slauter
Bradford
Detz - Look at SEC stats, he's been brought back down to Earth
Armstrong

You are correct about Detz being brought back down to earth.