PDA

View Full Version : stephen rivers

justwin
12-11-2013, 03:18 PM
http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/7812140-123/future-qb-competition-already-starting

saw this today. looks like he's been overtaken for the lsu qb. he was wanted in Starkville pretty badly from what I remember.

codeDawg
12-11-2013, 03:25 PM
http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/7812140-123/future-qb-competition-already-starting

saw this today. looks like he's been overtaken for the lsu qb. he was wanted in Starkville pretty badly from what I remember.

Geez. I've read this book. He transfers to UM. After a successful debut year he fails to meet expectations because he can't handle the big head he gets from all the blowjobs and cocaine. He enters the NFL draft instead of returning for his senior season, only to not make any teams after camp.

smootness
12-11-2013, 03:27 PM
This was pretty obvious when Jennings played over him once Mettenberger went down.

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2013, 03:39 PM
We may have wanted Rivers, but he is no way fits our offense.

Furthermore, I hope he goes to OM because he doesn't fit their offense either. Mississippi schools need running QBs, not drop back passers

Goat Holder
12-11-2013, 03:52 PM
Yeah because Jevan Snead just completely sucked and all.

codeDawg
12-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Yeah because Jevan Snead just completely sucked and all.

He didn't, until he did...

Goat Holder
12-11-2013, 04:41 PM
Don't go there. He was a hell of a QB. Not sure what happened between he and Houston Nutt, especially with the whole leaving early thing, but I think we can safely assume that Nutt had many other bigger problems that attributed to his demise. If Snead comes back for his Sr year they likely win at least 6 or 7 games in 2010, maybe more.

If a guy can play, he can play. I really believe that some of you really think that a system dictates more than a player. I bet if most MSU fans had to choose between having Dak Prescott or Peyton Manning as our QB next year, they'd choose Dak simply because he fits the 'system' better.

codeDawg
12-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Don't go there. He was a hell of a QB. Not sure what happened between he and Houston Nutt, especially with the whole leaving early thing, but I think we can safely assume that Nutt had many other bigger problems that attributed to his demise. If Snead comes back for his Sr year they likely win at least 6 or 7 games in 2010, maybe more.

If a guy can play, he can play. I really believe that some of you really think that a system dictates more than a player. I bet if most MSU fans had to choose between having Dak Prescott or Peyton Manning as our QB next year, they'd choose Dak simply because he fits the 'system' better.

I think you are missing my point. UM takes in a bunch of highly lauded and presumably talented QB transfers that show up for a few games or a season and then for one reason or another get turned into head cases and fall apart.

Schaefer
Sneed
Mackey
Wallace

And a graveyard of guys that never panned out transfers or not...
Ethan Flatt
Robert Lane
Paul Eck
Billy Tapp
Michael Herrick
Chris Wilkes
Nathan Stanley
Raymond Cotton
Barry Brunetti
Maikhail Miller

Coach34
12-11-2013, 05:48 PM
I really believe that some of you really think that a system dictates more than a player. I bet if most MSU fans had to choose between having Dak Prescott or Peyton Manning as our QB next year, they'd choose Dak simply because he fits the 'system' better.

Dont be mad because some of us told you that Dakota would be better than Russell.

preachermatt83
12-11-2013, 05:50 PM
I think you are missing my point. UM takes in a bunch of highly lauded and presumably talented QB transfers that show up for a few games or a season and then for one reason or another get turned into head cases and fall apart.

Schaefer
Sneed
Mackey
Wallace

And a graveyard of guys that never panned out transfers or not...
Ethan Flatt
Robert Lane
Paul Eck
Billy Tapp
Michael Herrick
Chris Wilkes
Nathan Stanley
Raymond Cotton
Barry Brunetti
Maikhail Miller

don't forget masoli

smootness
12-11-2013, 05:53 PM
I really believe that some of you really think that a system dictates more than a player. I bet if most MSU fans had to choose between having Dak Prescott or Peyton Manning as our QB next year, they'd choose Dak simply because he fits the 'system' better.

It definitely does to a point. If you're going to use an absurd comparison like that, then go for it...though I do think we would try to run the read option with Peyton to get us 2 yards and get -4, a fumble, and a Peyton injury.

But if two QBs are fairly comparable in talent, or even if one may be more purely talented than the other but not by a gap the size of the Grand Canyon, then you want the one whose skillset fits the offense.

I would take Peyton Manning over Dak. But I would take Dak over Aaron Murray.

AlSwearengen
12-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Mike Wallace made Snead and that whole offense for that matter.

Goat Holder
12-11-2013, 06:47 PM
You weren't correct. Prescott was better than an injured Russell. Big difference. Sure, it worked out for the best (Prescott has experience for next year), but if Russell stayed completely healthy we'd have had an easier time getting these 6 wins. And probably would have beaten Auburn. So sure, while you think you pulled one over on me and were 'right' and you now '****ing with me' as Cadaver suggests, well, no you weren't and aren't.

We CAN all agree that Prescott will be a beast next year. I never said Prescott wouldn't turn out better than Russell, far from it. But in 2013, Russell would have been the better option. He was dealing with the Pokes until he got hurt.

chainedup_Dawg
12-11-2013, 06:57 PM
So to argue your point you compare Dak to Peyton Manning!? Wow, How about comparing Dak to, I don't know, Tyler Russell? After all that is more comparable and actually happened. Fact of the matter is the system dictates far more than what you want to admit. If th player dictated more than the system, then tell me why our offense clicked more with Dak in than Russell? After all, Russell was the far superior passer and Dak the far superior runner. So that means, you should have to look no further than Dak-Russell to prove your point. That is, if the results didnt prove you wrong. Quit making outlandish comparisons to try and justify your pro Russell agenda. I like Russell too, he's a great kid, but there's no denying he would be better in a system fit for a drop back passer.

whosyourdawgy
12-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Dude Masoli was good. The team around him absolutely sucked ass. If it weren't for him that season, who knows how many more losses they would've had. He doesn't need to be on that list

War Machine Dawg
12-12-2013, 02:46 PM
You weren't correct. Prescott was better than an injured Russell. Big difference. Sure, it worked out for the best (Prescott has experience for next year), but if Russell stayed completely healthy we'd have had an easier time getting these 6 wins. And probably would have beaten Auburn. So sure, while you think you pulled one over on me and were 'right' and you now '****ing with me' as Cadaver suggests, well, no you weren't and aren't.

We CAN all agree that Prescott will be a beast next year. I never said Prescott wouldn't turn out better than Russell, far from it. But in 2013, Russell would have been the better option. He was dealing with the Pokes until he got hurt.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae73/MSUDawgBurke/ImpliedFacepalm2_zpsb1e5da2d.jpg (http://s959.photobucket.com/user/MSUDawgBurke/media/ImpliedFacepalm2_zpsb1e5da2d.jpg.html)

Pollodawg
12-12-2013, 02:58 PM
I wonder why some among us can't just say, "Guys, I was wrong. My bad." Hell, I did it about my earlier criticism of Mullen. It aint that hard.

engie
12-12-2013, 03:17 PM
It seems clear to me that Goat has been off his meds the last few days. The ridiculousness of that position at this point is totally off the charts.

Dak has accounted for 431 yards less and 6 fewer TDs than Tyler Russell did last year in his EIGHT starts compared to Tyler's 13. There is a decent chance that he matches Tyler's total production from last year in the bowl game despite having all green receivers compared to Tyler's seniors and 25% less starts with WAY fewer snaps.

CJDAWG85
12-12-2013, 04:42 PM
but if Russell stayed completely healthy we'd have had an easier time getting these 6 wins. And probably would have beaten Auburn.

Nothing about this is true.

Goat Holder
12-12-2013, 04:52 PM
We'll never know. But what we do know is that Prescott didn't beat them. How many times did Tubby Lewis run wide open across the middle of the field again? And who was it that beat Arkansas up there for the first time ever? Who was it that marched us straight down the field against the Cowpokes and had them off balance until an injury? Who was it that played his ass off against Alabama?

At the end of the day, it worked out for everybody. Russell went out a winner (didn't get booed on Sr day thank God), no QB controversy, Prescott can experience for next year, and we're going to a bowl. I'd have still liked to have beaten Auburn (that and LSU 2011 is one of the few times I've been disgusted with Mullen) but I'll take it.

CJDAWG85
12-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Dak had us in a position to beat Auburn... It wasn't his fault that our D quit bring pressure on the final drive.

Dak was unable to play either of those games... I think if we had Dak, Bama fans wouldn't have any fingernails leaving DWS... and we still would've beat Arkansas

Not taking anything away from Tyler... He gave it everything he had and we are all very grateful for his his hard work, dedication, and his efforts on and off the field

Pollodawg
12-12-2013, 05:19 PM
If we'd have had Dak, there is a solid chance we wouldn't have needed OT to beat Arkansas..........

RougeDawg
12-13-2013, 01:02 AM
If we'd have had Dak, there is a solid chance we wouldn't have needed OT to beat Arkansas..........

And we'd be playing in a NYD bowl in Florida.........

Todd4State
12-13-2013, 02:05 AM
Dude Masoli was good. The team around him absolutely sucked ass. If it weren't for him that season, who knows how many more losses they would've had. He doesn't need to be on that list

What's funny is you look back at that team and all they went through to get Masoli- and basically all they got out of it was a seven point win over Kentucky.