PDA

View Full Version : 4th coach in 4 years.

preachermatt83
12-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Arky state just lost the 3rd coach in a row after one year. And all 3 are coaches who always talk about family. What kind of man walks out on his "family" just bc greener pastures come along. I hate it for the kids (whom freeze, Malzahn, and harsin all say is who it's all about). 3 coaches... 3 frauds. Just my 2 cents.

starkvegasdawg
12-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Coaching is just a job. A person can talk about how much they love their job and everybody is like a family but as soon as another company says come work for us for twice the money and no more responsibility...

DownwardDawg
12-11-2013, 11:21 AM
You can provide better for you "family" with more money. Just sayin

mic
if your going to be RS Sr next season at ark st this will 5th different coach..

Johnson85
Coaching is just a job. A person can talk about how much they love their job and everybody is like a family but as soon as another company says come work for us for twice the money and no more responsibility...

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some minimum commitment. If I was AD at one of those schools, I'd ask for a minimum 3 year commitment with no buyout after that. It would probably limit your coaching pool somewhat, but I'd have to think the increased continuity would generally be worth it.

C222
12-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Arky state just lost the 3rd coach in a row after one year. And all 3 are coaches who always talk about family. What kind of man walks out on his "family" just bc greener pastures come along. I hate it for the kids (whom freeze, Malzahn, and harsin all say is who it's all about). 3 coaches... 3 frauds. Just my 2 cents.

A man that wants more money and a better life for his family. Happens every single day outside of sports.

It_Could_Happen
12-11-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm from arkansas and a kid from my high school will be a Rr JR next year at AR state. He has seen 4 different coaches. I hate it for the players but can you blame the coaches? Harsin had an offer to be the coach at the school he played QB at. He also has family in Boise. It's the guy's dream job.

The Croom Diaries
12-11-2013, 11:51 AM
The problem with college coaching contracts is that there are no non-compete clauses. If you have a corporate job, there's a fairly high chance that you signed one yourself. NFL coaches have non-competes, that's why they can't hop from team to team, it requires a trade for them to move around, i.e. Gruden from Oakland to Tampa Bay. I'd like to see the power 5 conferences break off to form their own division separate from the NCAA and make a rule that non-competes will be apart of each coaching contract. In college football, the coaches have all the power, they can leave if they want to, and they are never at the end of their contracts because their always getting extensions due to how it looks in recruiting so there's always a buyout if they're fired. If another school hires them away and they had a buyout for leaving, they can just make the new school pay it.

dawgs
12-11-2013, 03:00 PM
i'll never fault a coach for taking a better/higher paying job. you can't stop freeze from taking the ole miss job or malzahn from taking the auburn job or harsin from taking the boise job when on the other side of the coin you might fire them after 1 bad season. it sucked to lose diaz, but i didn't blame him for nearly tripling his pay going to texas.