PDA

View Full Version : Nick Fitzgerald, kids gonna be special

Coach 57
12-10-2013, 10:46 PM
I watched a few of his highlight videos on hudl & other sites. This kid is RAW! I mean bloody, red protein raw! But he has wonderful upside. Below are one of the best of his.

http://youtu.be/mBBtDzYHfsk

ShotgunDawg
12-10-2013, 10:57 PM
I watched a few of his highlight videos on hudl & other sites. This kid is RAW! I mean bloody, red protein raw! But he has wonderful upside. Below are one of the best of his.

Interested to hear your opinion on him.

Do you think he stays at QB, or do you think Staley is so good that Nick will eventually move to another position?

If so, what position?

dawgoneyall
12-10-2013, 11:25 PM
He is a QB. Don't assume he is automatically the backup.

hailmari
12-10-2013, 11:25 PM
He's got the running down for sure. I saw some bad tackling, but for the most part I saw very good, strong running. I wouldn't be surprised to see some trickery with him early in his career.

thf24
12-10-2013, 11:37 PM
He's got some speed. I realize it's high school we're looking at, but it's pretty impressive regardless when you're 6'5", 220 lbs and running away from every other player on the field. He also looks fairly serviceable throwing, more than enough for our staff to work with. I'm pretty excited about his potential no matter where he ends up on the field.

smootness
12-10-2013, 11:50 PM
He's got some speed. I realize it's high school we're looking at, but it's pretty impressive regardless when you're 6'5", 220 lbs and running away from every other player on the field. He also looks fairly serviceable throwing, more than enough for our staff to work with. I'm pretty excited about his potential no matter where he ends up on the field.

I just love that our staff has apparently said 'screw it, we're just going to get the biggest athletes we can find and put them somewhere'.

De'Runnya - 6'5" 220
Chris Jones - 6'6" 10 tons
Shumpert - 6'2" 215
Dez Harris - 6'4" 230
Hammond, Christy - freaking huge
Staley - 6'7" 240
Fitzgerald - 6'5" 220
Gerri Green - 6'4" 220
Deshon Cooper - 6'4" 220

Overall, when you look at our QB/RB/WR/DL/LB recruiting recently, it's clear that we are going BIG. Hopefully we can retain speed at the same time, but there won't be a team in the country who steps on the field and is just flat out bigger than we are.

Todd4State
12-10-2013, 11:52 PM
I just love that our staff has apparently said 'screw it, we're just going to get the biggest athletes we can find and put them somewhere'.

De'Runnya - 6'5" 220
Shumpert - 6'2" 215
Dez Harris - 6'4" 230
Staley - 6'7" 240
Fitzgerald - 6'5" 220
Gerri Green - 6'4" 220
Deshon Cooper - 6'4" 220

Overall, when you look at our QB/RB/WR/DL/LB recruiting recently, it's clear that we are going BIG. Hopefully we can retain speed at the same time, but there won't be a team in the country who steps on the field and is just flat out bigger than we are.

You have to in the SEC. If we went small for the most part, we would get run over or we wouldn't be able to run between the tackles like someone else in Mississippi.

smootness
12-11-2013, 12:05 AM
You have to in the SEC. If we went small for the most part, we would get run over or we wouldn't be able to run between the tackles like someone else in Mississippi.

I agree, but that's why I like what we're doing. There are some other SEC schools going somewhat small. I don't ever remember us going this big, and I'm not sure anyone is going bigger than we are right now.

Remember when we thought Mullen was going to bring in a bunch of small, scat-back types who run all over the place? Not anymore.

Check out our 2009-2010 classes:

Heavens - 5'10"
Bumphis - 5'10"
Perkins - 5'10"
Ricco Sanders - 5'11"
Thames - 5'11"
Berry - 6'0"
Langston - 5'11"
Chris Hughes - 6'0"
Wells - 6'1"
Bohanna - 6'0"
Jameon Lewis - 5'8"
Robert Johnson - 6'0"
Even our TEs, Hill and Malcolm Johnson, were 6'2".

Granted, we'll still bring in smaller guys, obviously (Robinson, Market, Antoine, Jefferson, Holloway, Donald Gray, Graham). You want talent, you don't want to handicap yourself because you're blinded by size. But it seems clear to me there has been a shift in philosophy. We are getting bigger and longer, and I expect it to pay dividends in the near future.

Dallas_Dawg
12-11-2013, 12:16 AM
Damn, he was hurdling people like Dixon used to do! His arm looks strong too but his mechanics will need a lot of work. That's why you pay coaches the big busk though. I am excited to see what he can do in the maroon and white

Westdawg
12-11-2013, 12:24 AM
I agree, but that's why I like what we're doing. There are some other SEC schools going somewhat small. I don't ever remember us going this big, and I'm not sure anyone is going bigger than we are right now.

Remember when we thought Mullen was going to bring in a bunch of small, scat-back types who run all over the place? Not anymore.

Check out our 2009-2010 classes:

Heavens - 5'10"
Bumphis - 5'10"
Perkins - 5'10"
Ricco Sanders - 5'11"
Thames - 5'11"
Berry - 6'0"
Langston - 5'11"
Chris Hughes - 6'0"
Wells - 6'1"
Bohanna - 6'0"
Jameon Lewis - 5'8"
Robert Johnson - 6'0"
Even our TEs, Hill and Malcolm Johnson, were 6'2".

Granted, we'll still bring in smaller guys, obviously (Robinson, Market, Antoine, Jefferson, Holloway, Donald Gray, Graham). You want talent, you don't want to handicap yourself because you're blinded by size. But it seems clear to me there has been a shift in philosophy. We are getting bigger and longer, and I expect it to pay dividends in the near future.

It's not that there is a shift in philosophy. It is that MSU is showing that they can be relevant. As a result we are attracting better quality players. A lot these prospects are also "tweeners" that don't fit a certain mold of player. A lot of staffs want a kid that they know exactly where he will fit. A lot of these guys are great athletes who often played out of position and , like Fitz, only show glimpses of what they could become. Give them a solid RS year and a frosh year and he , like many of our other emerging stars/starters, will show what they can become

Dawg61
12-11-2013, 03:02 AM
I think we are already the biggest team in the SEC.

BrunswickDawg
12-11-2013, 04:50 AM

I've been saying all fall to watch out for Nick - granted I am biased because he is a local kid. Seeing him in person you can tell he is an impressive athlete and has leadership tools. Those are two things that have been in short supply with us at times. Everyone here on the coast just keeps raving about those qualities and will say things to me like "biggest steal in your class".

Coach 57
12-11-2013, 08:35 AM
No doubt this kid is a QB. Before I give my assessment of this kid let's take a look at something. Look at the talent Dan has tried to get in Starkville at QB. Just take a look at guys like Dobbs, Prescott, Russell, Wallace, Staley, Fitz, sCam, and so on (engie I need help here with a list). But my point being is this, he IS trying to make Starkville a haven for young talented QBs. He is actually TRYING to do what Byrne originally got him for. Byrne got him because he had coached elite college or NFL QB talent in the past. That was his strength as a coach. Look at this guys. Have we landed the elite level guys early in his career? No. But he has changed his focus to to the less diva'd lower starred kids. And use his eye to try and develop the skills they have to catapult it into success. These next 2 kids, make no mistake will help start a talent explosion at the position. I think either kid (Fitz or Staley) are more talented than Dak was his Sr yr in Haughton. Which could make our program start the up- tick from an average of 7 wins a year to 8-9. In the SEC you are only as good as this position. Period!

As far as this kid is concerned. This kid is going to be special. I know they run more of a run style spread, but I honestly think that starting next year this is what we going to do anyway. I don't think Mullen likes relying on the pass so much. And as far as Fitz Vs Staley is concerned. Him getting here early COULD make the difference. But how much of a gap is dependent on how much information he processes in this window. Because we honestly know there's a BIG difference between " listening" & "hearing".

Barking 13
12-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Now if we could just clone some (10 or so) 6'+ 400# linemen that can run a 4.3 and run like clockwork, we'll be getting somewhere...

I foresee the trend back to big, physical, massive lines and backs, (90's football) but morphed into a spread formation...

codeDawg
12-11-2013, 10:18 AM

Something to take note of as well is that his size makes him look slower than he actually is. That kid is moving quick in those highlights.

Lloyd Christmas
12-11-2013, 11:21 AM
He has potential to do well in our offense but priority one is to get the kid to gain some quality weight. You can't be a stick like that and run so much in the SEC

DownwardDawg
12-11-2013, 11:57 AM
He has potential to do well in our offense but priority one is to get the kid to gain some quality weight. You can't be a stick like that and run so much in the SEC

I think he'll easily weigh 240 after being here a little while.

Goat Holder
12-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Agreed. We are just getting the best available talent that we can find.

These guys are thinking too much. A coach's mindset is, "Go get the best we can get". Period. The only real 'philosophy' is WHERE to focus on and HOW to go about it.

CJDAWG85
12-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Like his decision making on the video... Needs about 10-15lbs of solid muscle and he'll be a beast

smootness
12-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Agreed. We are just getting the best available talent that we can find.

These guys are thinking too much. A coach's mindset is, "Go get the best we can get". Period. The only real 'philosophy' is WHERE to focus on and HOW to go about it.

But you're crazy if you think coaches don't talk about the type of player they want as well. Sure, you're always going to end up with a little bit of everything because you are constrained to some degree by what is available to you. But you're telling me there isn't a Brandon Heavens or a Jameon Lewis out there we could get right now? Marcus Green is right there in MS this year, but we haven't offered yet and my guess is that it's because he doesn't fully fit the mold of the kind of player we're looking for right now.

There's also a reason we had Shumpert above Kailo Moore on our board last year. We seem to be clearly trying to get bigger and stronger rather than smaller and faster.

ShotgunDawg
12-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Tell me these two guys don't have similar running styles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBBtDzYHfsk&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4OPX5P9DlQ

engie
12-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Another thing that needs to be noted is -- he's not playing "little sisters of the poor" in this video how it kinda seems at times. That's 5A Georgia high school football.

messageboardsuperhero
12-11-2013, 12:58 PM
First impression from that highlight video: Fitzgerald can really run. He'll add some weight when he gets up here too and probably be a 6' 5", 245 pound Mack Truck. Also, he's deceptively fast and athletic for a guy his size.

As for his arm, he looks a helluva lot better throwing than Relf did in high school- if Mullen can make Relf serviceable, I'm sure Fitzgerald will be fine.

Glancing at our commitment lists from the past couple of years- there's no doubt we're going for size, particularly on offense.

justwin
12-11-2013, 03:04 PM
I've been saying all fall to watch out for Nick - granted I am biased because he is a local kid. Seeing him in person you can tell he is an impressive athlete and has leadership tools. Those are two things that have been in short supply with us at times. Everyone here on the coast just keeps raving about those qualities and will say things to me like "biggest steal in your class".

Thanks for the local update. What kind of personality does he have? Is he fiery and outspoken so guys will follow him like they do Dak?

justwin
12-11-2013, 03:06 PM
The size is all well and good, but we need to ensure that we play the big RBs ALOT more than we did this year. Senseless for Dak to continue to take a beating with Griffin, JRob, and Shump on the roster now.

De'Runnya - 6'5" 220
Shumpert - 6'2" 215
Dez Harris - 6'4" 230
Staley - 6'7" 240
Fitzgerald - 6'5" 220
Gerri Green - 6'4" 220
Deshon Cooper - 6'4" 220

Oxfordawg
12-11-2013, 03:12 PM
Matt Jones?

BrunswickDawg
12-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the local update. What kind of personality does he have? Is he fiery and outspoken so guys will follow him like they do Dak?

I've heard a couple of local radio interviews. Fiery is not the right fit. He seems like that guy who is willing to outwork everyone on the field and lead through encouragement and building up his teammates as the reason for his success. Positive motivator. The coach says the whole team flocks to him (kind of like Dak). Interesting quote from his coach before their first playoff game this year - Nick did film study and wrote out the game plan. Coach said "It was the exact same game plan I would have written, so I used it."

DownwardDawg
12-11-2013, 07:00 PM
The size is all well and good, but we need to ensure that we play the big RBs ALOT more than we did this year. Senseless for Dak to continue to take a beating with Griffin, JRob, and Shump on the roster now.

If that's not the plan I will be seriously upset.

Hotdawg66
12-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Had the opportunity to be at the Elite 11 QB competition in Atlanta this spring. Couple of us coaches were talking to Trent Dilfer afterward. He said in the 3 years he has been running the competition that Fitzgerald was the best athlete he had seen come thru. He said that the only thing that was holding Nick back was the lack of a QB coach. Problem is that their aren't any QB gurus near coastal Georgia. He would have had to drive back and forth to Atlanta or Orlando.

CadaverDawg
12-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Had the opportunity to be at the Elite 11 QB competition in Atlanta this spring. Couple of us coaches were talking to Trent Dilfer afterward. He said in the 3 years he has been running the competition that Fitzgerald was the best athlete he had seen come thru. He said that the only thing that was holding Nick back was the lack of a QB coach. Problem is that their aren't any QB gurus near coastal Georgia. He would have had to drive back and forth to Atlanta or Orlando.

Post more

BrunswickDawg
12-15-2013, 12:20 AM

I'd say that is spot on. Nobody in coastal Ga - or anywhere in south Ga throws the ball. Lots of power running games due to huge O lineman and Rbs. They grow on trees down here. Remember too that Nick led the region in RECIEVING last season. Let that sink in. We have a QB that is athletic enough he was in the top 2 or 3 rushing this year, led in receiving last year, and can make key throws. Without ever having had a quality QB coach.