PDA

View Full Version : If Saban says no to texas....

preachermatt83
12-10-2013, 10:23 PM
I think Pete Carroll would be a great fit at Texas. Not saying he would leave the NFL but Texas would have to be tempting.

Coach34
12-10-2013, 10:26 PM
What you have going on is alot of coaches using Texas to get pay raises and security

Texas will end up with about their 8th choice

preachermatt83
12-10-2013, 10:38 PM
What you have going on is alot of coaches using Texas to get pay raises and security

I think you are right. I figure they would end up with Gundy or Franklin.

Tbonewannabe
12-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Just curious why you think that. Pretty much you could get a top 5 recruiting class without leaving the state, double the football revenue than the next program, and one of the most prestigious public schools in the country. Seems like it would be easily the best coaching job out there. Also Austin is a million times better than Tuscaloosa for actually living there. Also no state taxes.

cheewgumm
12-10-2013, 11:07 PM
How about mike tomlin?

LiterallyPolice
12-10-2013, 11:20 PM

Agreed. Saban can get all the money he wants from Bama no problem. If Saban stays at Bama, he'll be a legend along the lines of Bear Bryant in 10 years. If he leaves, he'll be looked at by everyone as a hired gun. I just don't think he'll make that trade off for really a marginal amount of wealth compared to what he'll negotiate with Bama.

Coach34
12-10-2013, 11:29 PM
Just curious why you think that. Pretty much you could get a top 5 recruiting class without leaving the state, double the football revenue than the next program, and one of the most prestigious public schools in the country. Seems like it would be easily the best coaching job out there. Also Austin is a million times better than Tuscaloosa for actually living there. Also no state taxes.

Alabama is the best coaching job out there- as far as winning and championships.
You are going to have to beat the SEC to win the NC- and that wont be easy

Saban is 62, has his system in place and set, and has won 3 of the last 4 NC's. Texas simply cant do better than that. And likely wont do half as well. Saban has literally proven himself to be the best college football coach of the modern era. He can only go down at Texas. It will take a couple of years to get them able to match SEC football. That will make him 64- how long does he plan on coaching?
Saban has also proven his defense can be vulnerable to the Spread and hurry-up. Everybody in the Big 12 runs that.

Getting past Saban-Texas has their sights set too high- and many of their targets will simply stay at their current job instead of walking into that shitstorm.

cheewgumm
12-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Texas can outpay bama all day every day. If it comes to money texas will win.

Another thing Texas has going for it is bama arrogance . Some part of the. Thinks it's them, not Saban is the reason they are winning. I think that will keep them from matching Texas. At some point bama says " we can do it without him."

Coach34
12-10-2013, 11:45 PM
once you get past 5MM- its not about money anymore

You dont leave Bama and the SEC to go to Texas

Todd4State
12-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Alabama is the best coaching job out there- as far as winning and championships.

Saban is 62, has his system in place and set, and has won 3 of the last 4 NC's. Texas simply cant do better than that. And likely wont do half as well. Saban has literally proven himself to be the best college football coach of the modern era. He can only go down at Texas. It will take a couple of years to get them able to match SEC football. That will make him 64- how long does he plan on coaching?
Saban has also proven his defense can be vulnerable to the Spread and hurry-up. Everybody in the Big 12 runs that.

Getting past Saban-Texas has their sights set too high- and many of their targets will simply stay at their current job instead of walking into that shitstorm.

This is an excellent point. See Texas A&M and Auburn. It seems to me that Texas is glossing over that.

smootness
12-10-2013, 11:55 PM
The SEC wasn't what it is now before Saban showed up at LSU. Once he woke up that sleeping giant, then went to Bama and took them to a level rarely ever seen before in college history, it turned the SEC into the juggernaut it is today.

Someone like Saban is not going to allow himself to ever think the conference is bigger than him, that he has to stay in the SEC because it's the best conference in college football. He wants a new challenge, and Texas would give that to him. I think he could turn Texas into a juggernaut within 2 years.

I'm not saying he leaves; there are definitely plenty of reasons to stay at Alabama. But I don't think it's a no-brainer that he stays. You think he's going to allow himself to think, 'I can't do there what I've done here'. Heck no, and if someone tells him that, he may just take the Texas job to prove them wrong.

DownwardDawg
12-11-2013, 07:15 AM
This is an excellent point. See Texas A&M and Auburn. It seems to me that Texas is glossing over that.

It's the only point in his post that I agree with, but it is a great point. Texas is about 100 times better job than Bama. Not even close. He would sign the #1 or 2 recruiting class every year and would play 1 SEC team for the NC. 1, not 9 or 10.

Tbonewannabe
12-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Also he will never be bigger than the Bear at. Bama. At UT he could be the first coach to ever win at 3 different schools. If he could get UT to win 3 out of 4, he would be the Bear of UT.

cheewgumm
12-11-2013, 09:29 AM
There's never " enough money". Plus you think of family and make as much as you can. Rarely do people say " I don't need any more money".

Coach34
12-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Texas is about 100 times better job than Bama. Not even close. He would sign the #1 or 2 recruiting class every year and would play 1 SEC team for the NC. 1, not 9 or 10.

Texas is a better job based on what?

Recruiting? Nope- Bama is currently #1 in the nation for the 4th yr in a row according to 247
Conference Affiliation? Nope
Titles? Nope- Texas has 1 title in the last 40 years- Bama has 7 in that timeframe
Bama fills their stadium every year for the Spring Game- I dont see Texas doing that
Bama has the "Running of the Gumps" for Fan Day....Texas cant touch that
SEC games are the highest rated on TV

The only area Texas has an advantage is money- but it's negligible at the point they are at. Both are tricked out on stadium and facilities- there is only so much more they can do.

cheewgumm
12-11-2013, 09:48 AM
If Saban goes to Texas and dethroned the sec after 9-10 straight ncs the he ' ll further his legend. That is better than winning 2 more at bama IMO.

Plus the money . Plus living in Austin . Plus doing it at 3 schools. He could turn this era of cfb from the " sec era" to the "Saban era".

DownwardDawg
12-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Texas is a better job based on what?

Recruiting? Nope- Bama is currently #1 in the nation for the 4th yr in a row according to 247 Because of Nick saban
Conference Affiliation? Nope Agree
Titles? Nope- Texas has 1 title in the last 40 years- Bama has 7 in that timeframe Because of Nick Saban
Bama fills their stadium every year for the Spring Game- I dont see Texas doing that Who gives a shit about spring game attendance? Really??? You think Nick cares about that?
Bama has the "Running of the Gumps" for Fan Day....Texas cant touch that I don't even know what that is.
SEC games are the highest rated on TV Not sure that matters, but OK
The only area Texas has an advantage is money- but it's negligible at the point they are at. Both are tricked out on stadium and facilities- there is only so much more they can do.
Other advantages, Austin is 1,000,000,000,000 times better place to live/retire. More money is always better. The path to NC's is MUCH easier, MUCH!!! He would accure SEC talent at Texas and play one SEC team every year.

smootness
12-11-2013, 11:03 AM
There wouldn't be much of a transition problem, either. The type of players they have there fit Saban's style already, and they have more talent currently than Bama did when he took over.

He could win double digits next year fairly easily.

Jack Lambert
12-11-2013, 11:03 AM

If it is true that Texas offered him 1% of the Long horn Network, Saban better take that and there is no way Alabama could top it. That’s his forever and he will continue to get revenue from it for the rest of his life and his ancestors after him would continue to receive it. He can’t walk away from that. Well i guess he can but he would be a fool to leave that much money on the table.

AlSwearengen
12-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Here is my .02 cents and that is about what it is worth. Saban and his wife have both made statements about winning not being fun anymore because of the expectations at alabama. We all make fun of bama fans b/c they are crazy, so I understand what they are saying. In my eyes, the only thing that alabama has over texas is the SEC and more tradition. But, I doubt saban could give a shit about bama's tradition and what it does for him and honestly, in this day and age, I think the Saban brand carries as much weight as the bama brand.

If bama comes close to matching texas' offer and Saban isn't totally miserable and fed up with everything bama, he might bite his lip and stay for a few more years, but I am betting he ends up in Texas if the transition over there is not too nasty with Brown.

Coach34
12-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Here is my .02 cents and that is about what it is worth. Saban and his wife have both made statements about winning not being fun anymore because of the expectations at alabama. .

Texas is 158-47 under Brown at Texas- and 98-33 in conference. Won a NC and played for another. He was 9-4 last year and is 8-4 this year headed to a bowl. And they want him gone. They have wanted him gone for awhile now. The same pressure and expectations will be in Texas just like it is in Alabama. Once you win a title- anything less is a letdown. 9-3 at LSU is boring to them and like they are playing in the Independence Bowl.

Just the nature of the beast

DownwardDawg
12-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Texas is 158-47 under Brown at Texas- and 98-33 in conference. Won a NC and played for another. He was 9-4 last year and is 8-4 this year headed to a bowl. And they want him gone. They have wanted him gone for awhile now. The same pressure and expectations will be in Texas just like it is in Alabama. Once you win a title- anything less is a letdown. 9-3 at LSU is boring to them and like they are playing in the Independence Bowl. Just the nature of the beast

This is the damn truth. They laugh about their bowl game this year and shake their heads like it's the Independence Bowl. Hell, I've had several LSU fans ask me what bowl they are playing in.

Johnson85
12-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Texas is 158-47 under Brown at Texas- and 98-33 in conference. Won a NC and played for another. He was 9-4 last year and is 8-4 this year headed to a bowl. And they want him gone. They have wanted him gone for awhile now. The same pressure and expectations will be in Texas just like it is in Alabama. Once you win a title- anything less is a letdown. 9-3 at LSU is boring to them and like they are playing in the Independence Bowl.

Just the nature of the beast

Expectations are completely different at Texas. Mack Brown has underachieved for years with barely a peep from their fan base. If saban starts going 6-2 consistently in SEC play, bama fans will start putting for sale signs in his yard. If he went 6-2 against Big 12 quality competition, they'd set his damn house on fire.

Maybe the spread offenses in the Big 12 will give him problems, but it seems just as likely that he will have a school with SEC resources and recruiting to go compete against big 12 programs. If that's the case, he would dominate and wouldn't have to deal with the Bama fanbase. If he's really offered 1% ownership in the Longhorn Network, and not just a 1% royalty while he coaches, it's a no brainer.