PDA

View Full Version : Jonesin for some action

BeastMan
12-09-2013, 09:17 PM
Holiday season is crazy busy for me and I haven't been able to do any fishing. Plus the weather... I'm not a big hunter and the lack of outdoor action is miserable. I've already booked a charter trip for March with some buddies so the countdown begins until...

That's not me fwiw. That's the captain I booked (Captain John Shwartz)

SpeckleDawg
12-10-2013, 03:39 PM
I've been itching to get on the water bad, but the weather has been garbage down here lately. Not to mention that whole "time" thing...

Barking 13
12-10-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm done for the year... :( Water got cold and muddy and won't be worth going until it gets back to about 60 surface temp... However, if it ever gets above 50 again, I may go out and run the boat a little, and hope there are no cats on board...

FISHDAWG
12-10-2013, 04:01 PM
I'm thru until the May Cobia arrive

WeWillScrewItUp
12-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Come late January/early February I'm going to have to make a trip back home to the Arkansas Delta to do a little crappie fishing with my dad. It's a couple week stretch around then that we usually wear them out. Gotta bundle up or you will freeze though.

BeastMan
12-10-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm thru until the May Cobia arrive

That's something I really want to get into. Basically, just stop at random structure in the ms sound right?

KeyWest225Dawg
12-11-2013, 12:04 AM
That's something I really want to get into. Basically, just stop at random structure in the ms sound right?

You will run into small ones in the sound, with the occasional legal one. Usually seems to be quite a few between ship island and cat island. We catch most of ours on live bait with a chum slick.

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/OffshoreLegit/10F65A1A-9CB5-4D99-B489-4FD105962695_zpsk8cplv6z.jpg (http://s972.photobucket.com/user/OffshoreLegit/media/10F65A1A-9CB5-4D99-B489-4FD105962695_zpsk8cplv6z.jpg.html)

This is a 60 pounder my little sister caught at the triple rig south of pascagoula.

FISHDAWG
12-11-2013, 09:47 AM

it's always worth a look if you are going by it ... I tend to graph it on the fish finder and if somethings there I will get up current & hit the chum churn ... love seeing those tasty brutes come swimming into the chum ..... I tend to rig hop and cover more ground ... you burn more fuel like that but it beats waiting and wondering

FISHDAWG
12-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Keywest - we were at the triple rig one day and a couple huge cobes would swim by the boat and back through the slick ... seriously, they looked like they were 80 lb fish .... turned their nose up at jigs, crabs, and live blue runners ... all we could do was watch them, I would have given sideline passes for a live eel that day

BeastMan
12-11-2013, 10:02 AM
That's awesome. I always hear and read about folks getting on them around structure around Ship and Horn Island. May be worth a shot. Cat is just so shallow all the way around it. I'd love to hook up with one of those suckers.

KeyWest225Dawg
12-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Beastman, we caught a pretty nice one in 15 feet of water on a tower just north east of cat.

I do a lot of rig hopping too. But this year we caught 4 or 5 bottom fishing. And we had the most luck with live pin fish. It got to where we wouldn't head offshore without a couple dozen of the them.

SpeckleDawg
12-11-2013, 11:59 AM
I rarely fish any areas that are known to hold cobia, but the structures in the sound will sure hold some tripletail. For me, that's about as exciting as it gets. They are a blast to catch on light tackle and of course taste great.

BeastMan
12-11-2013, 12:06 PM
I rarely fish any areas that are known to hold cobia, but the structures in the sound will sure hold some tripletail. For me, that's about as exciting as it gets. They are a blast to catch on light tackle and of course taste great.

This was the first year we started stopping at random structure and crab traps on the way back in and had no luck. We didn't exactly 100% commit but we gave it a look. We've been wanting to get on some

SpeckleDawg
12-11-2013, 03:26 PM
This was the first year we started stopping at random structure and crab traps on the way back in and had no luck. We didn't exactly 100% commit but we gave it a look. We've been wanting to get on some

Keep checking during the summer and you'll find some. Check anything you see floating (plastic bags, buckets, crab pot balls, etc. ). It's amazing what they will lay up under. They put up one heck of a fight and can break you off on structure in a hurry.

I ran up on a massive TT under a crab pot this summer and tossed a live shrimp to him. I couldn't figure out why he wouldn't hit it. He just kept going up and down next to the marker rope. We finally realized that he had been hooked by someone and broke the line off above the cork. The line was wrapped around the rope and all he could do was swim up and down, about 12" off the rope.