PDA

View Full Version : Roy Halladay retired today

Tbonewannabe
12-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Is he a hall of gamer?

TheRef
12-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Yes. Sadly, he won't be a first-ballot because of the high-horse that the writers are on.

Todd4State
12-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Yes, I think so. I think because of how modern baseball is, they are going to have to lower the 300 won plateau for starting pitchers. It probably should be 250 now.

smootness
12-09-2013, 05:41 PM
Yes, his peak was definitely good enough.

smootness
12-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Yes, I think so. I think because of how modern baseball is, they are going to have to lower the 300 won plateau for starting pitchers. It probably should be 250 now.

I don't think there can be a plateau anymore. Pitchers just don't go late enough into games now. You can pitch a full year fully healthy, have a decent year, and still end up with about 18 decisions.

Todd4State
12-09-2013, 05:59 PM
I don't think there can be a plateau anymore. Pitchers just don't go late enough into games now. You can pitch a full year fully healthy, have a decent year, and still end up with about 18 decisions.

If you want to know my opinion, there shouldn't be plateau's to start with. Look at Sandy Koufax. He was the best pitcher I have ever seen (on film or in person). Clearly he was the best pitcher in the game between 1961 and 1966. He didn't have 300 wins, 3000 K's, etc. But he's a HOF player and there's no debate about that. What's sad is someone like Dale Murphy who was among the best and isn't in. Jack Morris, Don Mattingly, etc.

The HOF is too much about numbers and whether they think you did steroids or not. Those guys above aren't in, but then you have a guy like Don Sutton in because he "won 300 games".

The HOF should be more about "were you among the best players in your generation"? I think if the answer is yes, then that player should be in the HOF. Who cares if they hit 500 home runs or not?

smootness
12-09-2013, 06:03 PM
I agree, Todd.

Will James
12-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Doc is for sure a Hall of Famer in my book. 100%

HereComesTheSpiral
12-09-2013, 06:52 PM
I think he gets in, but I dont think he will be a first ballot hall of famer due to the "steroid era." I think players from the recent years will be heavily scrutinized from this era even if it isnt justified. Hell, theyre holding it against Sosa, Big Mac, Bonds, etc and the shit wasnt banned for most, if not all, of their careers. If theyre going to hold it against the recent generation, they need to go back and look at everyone that was on amphetamines back in the golden days of MLB.