PDA

View Full Version : I cant believe State got this raving review from an Auburn homie.....video

99jc
05-06-2024, 12:16 PM
https://twitter.com/i/status/1787497996198031693

basedog
05-06-2024, 12:30 PM
Great video and comments!

BrunswickDawg
05-06-2024, 12:32 PM
I can believe it. In 30+ years of being in and out of Starkville as a HS student, MSU Student, Alum, and Parent - I have had way more people compliment Starkville and MSU in general then I have had people say it sucks.
And 9 of the 10 people I've ever heard say it sucks are MSU people. My first visit to Starkville in 1990, I remember my parents talking about how much it was like Athens in the early 1960s, and they loved being in Athens back then.
I enjoyed the heck out of Starkville in the 1990s - and any friends and family who visited did too. That has carried through to today when I've brought friends over for game weekends.

The video review is spot on about what makes it great - it's community almost entirely focused on MSU. It's small town enough that everyone knows everyone, and in general get along well and care about the community. It comes through when you visit.

Goldendawg
05-06-2024, 01:38 PM
I can believe it. In 30+ years of being in and out of Starkville as a HS student, MSU Student, Alum, and Parent - I have had way more people compliment Starkville and MSU in general then I have had people say it sucks.
And 9 of the 10 people I've ever heard say it sucks are MSU people. My first visit to Starkville in 1990, I remember my parents talking about how much it was like Athens in the early 1960s, and they loved being in Athens back then.
I enjoyed the heck out of Starkville in the 1990s - and any friends and family who visited did too. That has carried through to today when I've brought friends over for game weekends.

The video review is spot on about what makes it great - it's community almost entirely focused on MSU. It's small town enough that everyone knows everyone, and in general get along well and care about the community. It comes through when you visit.

Hail Yeah! Hail State! I'm fortunate to have a son in his soon to be 2nd year of grad school, our family approaching 60 consecutive years of season tickets in football, a season ticket friend in baseball and basketball who takes us to many games so as I am retired now spend a lot of time in Starkville. I'm glad it's not like several other SEC towns (won't name them) and often wonder why some of our fans sometimes knock it. Can we improve, on and off campus? Sure, but a lot of positive change since I attended in 75 -77 and has been noticeable in many, many years since. Hail State! Hail Starkville!

BorneDawg
05-06-2024, 01:42 PM
Hail Yeah! Hail State! I'm fortunate to have a son in his soon to be 2nd year of grad school, our family approaching 60 consecutive years of season tickets in football, a season ticket friend in baseball and basketball who takes us to many games so as I am retired now spend a lot of time in Starkville. I'm glad it's not like several other SEC towns (won't name them) and often wonder why some of our fans sometimes knock it. Can we improve, on and off campus? Sure, but a lot of positive change since I attended in 75 -77 and has been noticeable in many, many years since. Hail State! Hail Starkville!
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Goldendawg again.

gtowndawg
05-06-2024, 03:21 PM
State needs to work different influencers to spread that video. Ole Miss would have that everywhere if he was talking about Oxford that way.

viverlibre
05-06-2024, 03:56 PM
State needs to work different influencers to spread that video. Ole Miss would have that everywhere if he was talking about Oxford that way.

Ain't this the truth. They are miles ahead of us using the media. Keenum should have a room full of students pumping out glowing articles about our programs, game days, university and town. Barstool, Outkick and the like love that type of filler.

Commercecomet24
05-06-2024, 03:57 PM

My sentiments exactly and I've had the same type experiences.

lastmajordog
05-06-2024, 07:30 PM
This is a wonderful PR.....stop with the starkvegas countryfied dumbing down ........Go with family.... high tech.... high end school.....

gtowndawg
05-06-2024, 07:41 PM
This is a wonderful PR.....stop with the starkvegas countryfied dumbing down ........Go with family.... high tech.... high end school.....

Absolutely

TheLostDawg
05-07-2024, 07:07 AM
Ain't this the truth. They are miles ahead of us using the media. Keenum should have a room full of students pumping out glowing articles about our programs, game days, university and town. Barstool, Outkick and the like love that type of filler.

Yes they had sec announcers talking about how it was rated best small town in the US. It failed to mention at also were as well by a more well-renowned media company than theirs. You never heard ours Mentone mentioned other than retweets or whatever it's called now. I will say this about Strickland, he understood the importance of media especially for state and improving our name. That's one thing I feel we haven't picked back up since he left

StarkVegasSteve
05-07-2024, 09:48 AM
Yes they had sec announcers talking about how it was rated best small town in the US. It failed to mention at also were as well by a more well-renowned media company than theirs. You never heard ours Mentone mentioned other than retweets or whatever it's called now. I will say this about Strickland, he understood the importance of media especially for state and improving our name. That's one thing I feel we haven't picked back up since he left

Selmon is rectifying that issue. Our athletic dept is getting younger by the day. I do agree with you that Stricklin understood marketing. He probably understood it as well as an AD we've ever had. I mean he was on the forefront of the hashtags and things of that nature that, although corny, gets you clicks and gets you noticed.

Your other point about OM really pumping up the best small town is because they are all rowing in the same direction. University, town, residents, admin, etc. It was technically best small college town in the US, but same thing basically. They all understand the assignment and know how to market. Starkville, for the longest time, couldn't decide if it wanted to be a retirement town or a college town. Parker Wiseman and Lynn Spruill have turned that around and made it a college town. Unfortunately, OM has about a 20 year head start on us in that dept.

lastmajordog
05-07-2024, 07:23 PM
del