PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Cameron Myers and the 2015 recruiting class

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2013, 01:30 AM
Here is Cameron Myers' video:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/151386...ights/35916373

Regardless what has been said in his interviews, I believe Myers is a no doubt WR at the next level. He has a loose athletic body and shows excellent body control that should allow him to run smooth routes and make adjustments on the ball while in the air.

Honestly, at 6'2" 185, he reminds me of shorter version of Treadwell. I think Treadwell is certainly more talented, due to size and physicality, but on video Myers is looks like a similar "style" receiver. Long, rangy, loose, has good hands and body control.

Looks a like an exceptional early pickup.

Furthermore, this commitment got me thinking about what is going on with our recruiting, and why do we already have 5 4 star commitments in the 2015 class, which happens to be more than we currently have in the 2014 class. Here are couple reasons that I can think of as to what is going on.

1. The 2015 class in MS is absolutely loaded. We've already got 3 4 star commits of MS high school kids, other 2 are Moton from Louisiana and Gray from Co-lin, and the top players in the state: Dear, Peters, Patterson, Leo Lewis, etc are still out there for the taking. So naturally with more good players, MSU should get more good players

2. This is my main thought: I wonder if we are entering into the maturity period of Mullen's tenure at MSU. What I mean by this is that there is a cycle that every coaching staff goes through: Years 1-2 = Honeymoon, Year 3 = You better be getting better, Year 4 = You better still be getting better or winning, Year 5 = You better be winning or it's time to go another direction, Year 6 = You have proven that you can win and now people begin to TRUST your program.

As we leave Dan Mullen's 5th year and begin the process of entering into his 6th, I can't help but wonder that with 4 straight bowl games and numerous players in the NFL, If Dan Mullen is beginning to earn some "street cred"/ respect/ trust from high school coaches and kids throughout Mississippi.

Perhaps we are entering into an era that MSU and Ole Miss have rarely been. An era where high school players and coaches know that the program works, know that the kids will get developed, and know that they will have every chance to win and reach their potential.

Perhaps we are now benefiting from stability. When a new coaching staff comes in, there is always excitement, a new message, and some people jump on the bandwagon, but at the same time, there is not yet trust and stability.

For the players in the 2015 class, MSU has been solid program since they first started playing organized football in the 7th or 8th grade. In their eyes, MSU has been putting players in the NFL for years, and, with the Egg Bowl win, MSU sent a message that we are here to stay and that our program isn't a gimmick. It is a "real McCoy" hard nose football program that can be trusted. When Mullen came to MSU, many MS high school coaches probably thought he was just a Yankee that wouldn't make it in MS, but now they can't say that. Mullen has brought stability to MSU football.

With 5 4 star commits already, with many of the top players still on the board, and us not even scratching the surface yet of what we could pull from out of state and JUCO, I believe there is a solid to outside chance that MSU could pull up to 10 4 star or better commits in the 2015 class. If we do that it could go down as the best class in MSU history, and give us a legitimate chance of possessing an Auburn like talent level that is capable of accomplishing big things in any one game or season.

Maybe, I'm excited about nothing, and perhaps I'm putting the cart before the horse, but it is clear to me that Mullen has earned respect and trust in many of the hallways of the high schools across the state of Mississippi, and with the team we have returning next year, it may only get better.

Below is potential 5 star Leo Lewis wearing MSU gear on twitter tonight:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbAlY_jCMAAR45h.jpg

preachermatt83
12-09-2013, 02:10 AM
nice read. I hope your right.

Johnson85
12-09-2013, 10:12 AM
I think there is something to that and I'll add a third thing:

Coaches around the State know Mullen better and have had time to adjust to his Yankee demeanor. Mullen's personality is an acquired taste for most Mississippians and I suspect when he first met coaches around the state, they didn't immediately love him. While they probably didn't do anything to actively sway recruits from him, they probably didn't do anything to help him either. Now coaches have seen the way he treats his players, what kind of environment he has for them at state, what kind of coaching they will get, that he is sincere in his care for his players etc. And you also have four classes of Mississippi players that clearly liked playing for Mullen (I'm trying to remember, is there one player that has been openly critical of Mullen? He even seems to have come out his dispute with Chris Wilson ok, which could have been disastrous for him). All that gives Mullen some credibility that helps coaches get more excited about the possibility of their players playing for Mullen and helps plant the seeds for recruits and their parents to get past Mullen's initial demeanor and see what he really brings to the table. I'm not sure this has anything to do with it since I think recruiting is just as much if not more about the assistants, but something I've wondered about.

I think your number 2 reason is the biggest thing. For the class of 2015, they simply don't know anything other than State being a solid program. Staying close to home and playing in non-BCS bowl games v. leaving the state and playing in BCS bowls is a much tougher decision than staying close to home and playing for a perennial loser v. leaving the state and playing in bowl games. We should do better going forward, at least with in state recruits, because we are presenting them a different option than we have in the past. As several people have said, regardless of what Mullen has done with MSU's ceiling, he's definitely raised the floor, and recruits don't have to be scared that playing for MSU is going to result in them being on a laughing stock team.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2013, 10:14 AM

Coaches around the State know Mullen better and have had time to adjust to his Yankee demeanor. Mullen's personality is an acquired taste for most Mississippians and I suspect when he first met coaches around the state, they didn't immediately love him. While they probably didn't do anything to actively sway recruits from him, they probably didn't do anything to help him either. Now coaches have seen the way he treats his players, what kind of environment he has for them at state, what kind of coaching they will get, that he is sincere in his care for his players etc. And you also have four classes of Mississippi players that clearly liked playing for Mullen (I'm trying to remember, is there one player that has been openly critical of Mullen? He even seems to have come out his dispute with Chris Wilson ok, which could have been disastrous for him). All that gives Mullen some credibility that helps coaches get more excited about the possibility of their players playing for Mullen and helps plant the seeds for recruits and their parents to get past Mullen's initial demeanor and see what he really brings to the table. I'm not sure this has anything to do with it since I think recruiting is just as much if not more about the assistants, but something I've wondered about.

I think your number 2 reason is the biggest thing. For the class of 2015, they simply don't know anything other than State being a solid program. Staying close to home and playing in non-BCS bowl games v. leaving the state and playing in BCS bowls is a much tougher decision than staying close to home and playing for a perennial loser v. leaving the state and playing in bowl games. We should do better going forward, at least with in state recruits, because we are presenting them a different option than we have in the past. As several people have said, regardless of what Mullen has done with MSU's ceiling, he's definitely raised the floor, and recruits don't have to be scared that playing for MSU is going to result in them being on a laughing stock team.

Very good post, and I agree on your points.

FISHDAWG
12-09-2013, 10:17 AM

good points - the fact that he has kept our two kickers on schollie is proof he must be a man of his word

Coach34
12-09-2013, 10:37 AM
This is one of the reasons Hack, myself, and others have talked about how imperative it was for us to keep the bowl streak alive. 4 years in a row. 9th graders in 2010 are Sr's this year and all they have seen is State is bowl games. 6th graders in 2010 are 9th graders now and all they know is State goes to bowl games. This helps us so much as far as perception with younger kids.

Drugdog
12-09-2013, 10:46 AM
Threads like this are WHY I read Elitedawgs. Excellent points.

AlSwearengen
12-09-2013, 10:58 AM
This is one of the reasons Hack, myself, and others have talked about how imperative it was for us to keep the bowl streak alive. 4 years in a row. 9th graders in 2010 are Sr's this year and all they have seen is State is bowl games. 6th graders in 2010 are 9th graders now and all they know is State goes to bowl games. This helps us so much as far as perception with younger kids.

I can't understand why State fans can't jump on this concept 100%. I talk to fans all the time that still won't believe that playing a tough OOC game like Ok. St. is a bad idea for us. At the end of the year, your record and whether or not you went to a bowl is all that anyone really pays attention to when looking at what kind of season we had.

Todd4State
12-09-2013, 01:30 PM
I can't understand why State fans can't jump on this concept 100%. I talk to fans all the time that still won't believe that playing a tough OOC game like Ok. St. is a bad idea for us. At the end of the year, your record and whether or not you went to a bowl is all that anyone really pays attention to when looking at what kind of season we had.

DING! DING! DING!

CadaverDawg
12-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Great thread, great points.

I will add to this that we could really use Dak Prescott to help push our program to a whole new level. We have been known in the past as a hard nosed, physical, team that will compete with most teams we play. But what we have never had, is somewhat of a "sex appeal", if you will. What I mean by that is, we haven't had that Heisman type figure head of our program at one of the skill positions on offense. Dak can be that guy. Regardless of whether he actually ends up being an Award winner or not, we should promote him as such going forward. I think Mullen may already be thinking this, judging by the Liberty you tube announcement and the way he has already shown a connection with Dak as the leader of the team.

Whether us middle aged guys want to admit it or not...the bad ass QB, cannon arm, skull cap, tattoos, etc, making play after play on the field, has a MAJOR impact on where guys like Myers and other top skill players decide to go. We need to utilize the star power that Dak can potentially bring to the table. When guys on ESPN are saying Dak could be a dark horse Heisman candidate, we need to promote that in a big way. Combine our physicality with some solid 4 and 5 star skill guys, and we could take this thing to a whole new level.

AROB44
12-09-2013, 02:26 PM
I may be full of it (and will be told so) but I think a 3 star from La or Al is greater than a 4 star from Miss. But, that being said, I am very pleased with the direction recruiting is going.

CadaverDawg
12-09-2013, 02:31 PM
I may be full of it (and will be told so) but I think a 3 star from La or Al is greater than a 4 star from Miss. But, that being said, I am very pleased with the direction recruiting is going.

I tend to agree with you. Look at Joe morrow for example...a 4 star WR from MS vs DeRunnya Wilson, a 3 star WR from Alabama.

I think this is especially true at the skill positions. MS usually has pretty good linemen and defensive players, because a majority of the high schools run the ball 80% of the time and try to beat you with defense. That's why I think Fred Ross will be a stud WR for us...a 4 star WR from Texas is typically going to be more polished than a 4 star WR from Mississippi.

smootness
12-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Wilson was underrated, period, though. He wasn't a properly-rated Alabama 3-star. Give me Fletcher Cox, Matthew Wells, Chad Bumphis, and Charles Mitchell every day.

Now, for whatever reason, we have had several of our MS 4-stars recently that weren't quite as good as advertised, but that's going to happen no matter where the kid is from. If we want to use recent examples, you could make the case that MS 2-stars are way better than MS 4-stars, but over time that's not going to be the case.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Wilson was underrated, period, though. He wasn't a properly-rated Alabama 3-star. Give me Fletcher Cox, Matthew Wells, Chad Bumphis, and Charles Mitchell every day.

Now, for whatever reason, we have had several of our MS 4-stars recently that weren't quite as good as advertised, but that's going to happen no matter where the kid is from. If we want to use recent examples, you could make the case that MS 2-stars are way better than MS 4-stars, but over time that's not going to be the case.

I agree Smootness, Auburn has 3 5 star offensive linemen sitting on the bench. It's hit or miss much more than the recruiting websites want to admit. However, generally the more high 4 stars and 5 stars you get, the better you'll be.

This discussion is another illustration of there is no difference between the low 4 star/good 3 star player from a talent perspective. These are the toughest players to evaluate and the type of players that make up 3/4 of the recruiting classes that rank from about 10-35. It's why there is more of a talent difference between us and Alabama than us and South Carolina or Auburn

Sidewalkdog
12-09-2013, 02:56 PM
I just met Meyers dad as I was boarding the train (he noticed my Miss State ice chest). He said his son committed to State last night. He seemed proud that his son was going to be a bulldog

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2013, 03:11 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbAlY_jCMAAR45h.jpg

Anybody notice the 2 for 1 on Leo Lewis' Cheeto bag?

Wonder if he planned that or if it's an omen?

smootness
12-09-2013, 03:15 PM
Man, I love Cheetos.

engie
12-09-2013, 03:16 PM
They are a big Mississippi State family...

Myers will be recruiting south MS for us hard, I imagine. Quite a few bigtime prospects down there near him in the next class...

AlSwearengen
12-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Can someone tell me about Leo Lewis?

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Can someone tell me about Leo Lewis?

current 4 star LB from Brookhaven, and the player that some have said has the best chance of becoming a 5 star in MS next year.

Here is his video, the first play in the video should tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1803955/highlights/80925384

Barking 13
12-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Great thread, great points.

I will add to this that we could really use Dak Prescott to help push our program to a whole new level. We have been known in the past as a hard nosed, physical, team that will compete with most teams we play. But what we have never had, is somewhat of a "sex appeal", if you will. What I mean by that is, we haven't had that Heisman type figure head of our program at one of the skill positions on offense. Dak can be that guy. Regardless of whether he actually ends up being an Award winner or not, we should promote him as such going forward. I think Mullen may already be thinking this, judging by the Liberty you tube announcement and the way he has already shown a connection with Dak as the leader of the team.

Whether us middle aged guys want to admit it or not...the bad ass QB, cannon arm, skull cap, tattoos, etc, making play after play on the field, has a MAJOR impact on where guys like Myers and other top skill players decide to go. We need to utilize the star power that Dak can potentially bring to the table. When guys on ESPN are saying Dak could be a dark horse Heisman candidate, we need to promote that in a big way. Combine our physicality with some solid 4 and 5 star skill guys, and we could take this thing to a whole new level.

Plus he makes all the girls swoon...

rbdog82
12-09-2013, 03:56 PM
Forward momentum stops when Lewis hits you. Impressive.

AlSwearengen
12-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Brookhaven? Does anyone come out of brookhaven that doesn't go to olemiss? Other than jimmy johns?

maroonmania
12-09-2013, 04:24 PM

I will say NOW that the OK ST deal didn't turn out too bad for us. We got our 2 million dollar payout on the deal AND we kept the bowl streak alive. The bowl streak is more important but we did at least keep it in tact. I was not very happy with that game at all when I thought it was highly likely to cost us a bowl game but now I can at least live with it. Still don't think it was the smart thing but we did actually get to bank the money and get the bowl which worked out nice.

Barking 13
12-09-2013, 04:29 PM
I will say NOW that the OK ST deal didn't turn out too bad for us. We got our 2 million dollar payout on the deal AND we kept the bowl streak alive. The bowl streak is more important but we did at least keep it in tact. I was not very happy with that game at all when I thought it was highly likely to cost us a bowl game but now I can at least live with it. Still don't think it was the smart thing but we did actually get to bank the money and get the bowl which worked out nice.

Look at it as two bowls in one year...

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Brookhaven? Does anyone come out of brookhaven that doesn't go to olemiss? Other than jimmy johns?

IDK, who comes out of Brookhaven that has gone to Ole Miss?

AlSwearengen
12-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Look at it as two bowls in one year...

Gonna suck if we lose and end up 6-7.

AlSwearengen
12-09-2013, 04:41 PM
IDK, who comes out of Brookhaven that has gone to Ole Miss?

I am under the impression that brookhaven is nothing but olemiss people.

engie
12-09-2013, 04:45 PM

Who was the last football player from Ole Brook that went to Ole Miss?

Johns went to Bama -- while Bowman went to MSU the same year -- and I think those were the last 2 BCS players that I remember the town producing. I'm sure they had a couple go to USM...

Either way -- Lewis is a heavy MSU lean right now -- and a commitment soon wouldn't be shocking IMO...

engie
12-09-2013, 04:52 PM
I am under the impression that brookhaven is nothing but olemiss people.

This is incorrect. I worked in Brookhaven and surrounding areas for 2 years overseeing the first phase of U-verse implementation. That's a very blue-collar industrial town with just as many or more MSU fans compared to Ole Miss. A boatload of LSU fans down there as well given proximity.

I'm guessing the impression comes from Brookhaven High's nickname being Ole Brook -- and basically copying Ole Miss colors and using their script in the logo.

ETA: According to the tag map, we basically outnumber them 4 to 3 in Brookhaven...
http://www.alumni.msstate.edu/s/811/index.aspx?sid=811&gid=1&pgid=785

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm guessing the impression comes from Brookhaven High's nickname being Ole Brook -- and basically copying Ole Miss colors and using their script in the logo.

ETA: According to the tag map, we basically outnumber them 4 to 3 in Brookhaven...
http://www.alumni.msstate.edu/s/811/index.aspx?sid=811&gid=1&pgid=785

I think this is the main reason that perception exist. Good point Engie

MarcoRubio
12-09-2013, 05:12 PM
He's been to a few coach's clinics and has met Mullen. He said Mullen was a very nice guy, very personable. This guy is a USM fan and is indifferent toward State, so no reason to lie. He does hate OM though, so common enemy. He did say that Fedora was an arrogant asshole though.