PDA

View Full Version : D1 Baseball...

BeardoMSU
04-29-2024, 08:21 AM
has us ranked #16.

https://d1baseball.com/rankings/d1baseball-top-25-texas-am-remains-no-1-two-teams-enter-rankings/?utm_content=buffer0c568&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

SaintDawg
04-29-2024, 08:48 AM
Gotta be consistent from here on out. Bama series is gonna be serious bidness.

Santiago
04-29-2024, 09:04 AM
Being consistent, we really need. And different players each week stepping up.

Jacknut
04-29-2024, 09:17 AM
Consistent is not this team's forte. But I'd rather be playing well now than in March.

Tbonewannabe
04-29-2024, 09:27 AM
This team is a consistent closer away from good to great.

Commercecomet24
04-29-2024, 09:32 AM
This team is a consistent closer away from good to great.

I agree. Maybe we have found something with Hardin and Davis(crossed fingers). Since the om series though this team has started closing out the close games we were losing early on.

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 09:37 AM
I agree. Maybe we have found something with Hardin and Davis(crossed fingers). Since the om series though this team has started closing out the close games we were losing early on.

I think we're just getting used to winning. We lost so many games, and a lot of close games, over the last two years. It's the complete opposite of us from 2017-2021 where we just knew some weird stuff was going to happen and we were going to win.

Commercecomet24
04-29-2024, 09:43 AM
I think we're just getting used to winning. We lost so many games, and a lot of close games, over the last two years. It's the complete opposite of us from 2017-2021 where we just knew some weird stuff was going to happen and we were going to win.

I see it the same way. Learning to win is a big part of being successful. 2017-2021 was exactly like you said it felt like we were going to find a way to win. 2022-2023 was the exact opposite , where you'd get the feeling, "Oh no here we go again!" and now this year it appears we're finding our legs again.

ETA Having a closer like Landon Sims sure did make closing out games almost a foregone conclusion. Man that guy was money.

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 09:52 AM
I see it the same way. Learning to win is a big part of being successful. 2017-2021 was exactly like you said it felt like we were going to find a way to win. 2022-2023 was the exact opposite , where you'd get the feeling, "Oh no here we go again!" and now this year it appears we're finding our legs again.

ETA Having a closer like Landon Sims sure did make closing out games almost a foregone conclusion. Man that guy was money.

Yea I've said it before that Landon had an almost prime Mariano Rivera type aura about him. When that bullpen door opened, the game was done. I often think about that Sunday game against Ole Miss when he came in. That was awesome to watch because our fans knew it was over.

Commercecomet24
04-29-2024, 09:56 AM
Yea I've said it before that Landon had an almost prime Mariano Rivera type aura about him. When that bullpen door opened, the game was done. I often think about that Sunday game against Ole Miss when he came in. That was awesome to watch because our fans knew it was over.

Absolutely! We've had some great closers in the past but that guy was on a different level. Like you said when that dude walked to the mound it was game over! I think he spoiled us becuase he was on such a different level. Closers like that don't come around every day.

Cooterpoot
04-29-2024, 10:01 AM
Larry has had a couple big ABs lately, Kohler got the HR monkey off his shoulders this week after a big hit last week, Auger was lights out as a starter, Davis/Hardin look like they'll close. It's that middle relief that's killing is right now really. Scares the chit out of me when we pull the starters. I think it scares Parker too, that's why he goes long with the starter like yesterday.

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 10:05 AM
Larry has had a couple big ABs lately, Kohler got the HR monkey off his shoulders this week after a big hit last week, Auger was lights out as a starter, Davis/Hardin look like they'll close. It's that middle relief that's killing is right now really. Scares the chit out of me when we pull the starters. I think it scares Parker too, that's why he goes long with the starter like yesterday.

Yea it would really help if we could get Ligon consistent and he could be a solid middle relief guy for us. Would also love to start extending Pico and make him middle relief so we can get a guy from the left.

Commercecomet24
04-29-2024, 10:25 AM

I agree. I think Larry is more suited for further down in the order. For some reason he hits better with runners on. Kohler has had 2 good weekends at the plate and that play he made at third in the bottom of the 8th yesterday kept it a one run game and allowed us to win, maybe he's completely healthy now. Auger while struggling in relief has looked so much better starting and perhaps Hardin/Davis can be combo closers. Our middle relief scares everyone I believe and like you said Parker, too, lol! Schuelke is either lights out or getting hammered, seems like there's no in between with him. Really need Ligon to continue pitching well in relief and he can help bridge that gap. Siary is generally ok for one time through, but we need someone else to step up and take some of those innings.

The Federalist Engineer
04-29-2024, 10:31 AM
Crazy questions:

(1) Can Dohm come back as a 1-inning closer? Once per weekend? Forget the starting, just win us a game per week.
(2) Use Pico for Sunday, there are no more Midweeks after OM. 6 outs from Pico would be huge.
(3) What is the 2024 role for Loftin. Did he miss a surgery last year? He's about to come-and-go, from an eligibility perspective.

Cooterpoot
04-29-2024, 11:51 AM
Holcombe,Ligon, Loftin, Dohm spots are killing us. Those guys are giving us nothing.

Cooterpoot
04-29-2024, 11:53 AM
Crazy questions:

(1) Can Dohm come back as a 1-inning closer? Once per weekend? Forget the starting, just win us a game per week.
(2) Use Pico for Sunday, there are no more Midweeks after OM. 6 outs from Pico would be huge.
(3) What is the 2024 role for Loftin. Did he miss a surgery last year? He's about to come-and-go, from an eligibility perspective.

We've got UNA unless we cancel

confucius say
04-29-2024, 12:01 PM
Yea it would really help if we could get Ligon consistent and he could be a solid middle relief guy for us. Would also love to start extending Pico and make him middle relief so we can get a guy from the left.

Ligon has thrown 10 sec innings and has a sub 1.0 era. I expect him to get more opportunities.

Commercecomet24
04-29-2024, 12:05 PM
Holcombe,Ligon, Loftin, Dohm spots are killing us. Those guys are giving us nothing.

Ligon hasn't actually been that bad in sec play. 10 IP, 4 hits, 1 run, 9 walks, 8 strikeouts. The walks are concerning but 6 of those came in first 2 outings and he's only given up 3 in the last 5 innnings. So he's doing pretty well and getting better as of late.

Commercecomet24
04-29-2024, 12:06 PM
Ligon has thrown 10 sec innings and has a sub 1.0 era. I expect him to get more opportunities.

lol i just posted his stats. Great minds and all.

confucius say
04-29-2024, 12:35 PM
lol i just posted his stats. Great minds and all.

Haha.
He would be ahead of Stevens for me right now.
Davis
Hardin
Schulke
Ligon
Pico
Stevens

State82
04-29-2024, 12:43 PM

Robertson said this morning in an interview that he really expects Dohm to pitch this year. It will not be for long stints obviously but maybe an inning here and there. Anything from him is better than nothing as long as he is ready. He said he has no idea where the "done for the year" statements are coming from.

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 01:16 PM
Ligon hasn't actually been that bad in sec play. 10 IP, 4 hits, 1 run, 9 walks, 8 strikeouts. The walks are concerning but 6 of those came in first 2 outings and he's only given up 3 in the last 5 innnings. So he's doing pretty well and getting better as of late.

Ligon is a bit like Stinnett used to be before he COMPLETELY lost it. He'll walk the first two, then strike two guys out, walk the next guy, then the last batter will hit one 500 ft just foul and we'll strike him out the next pitch

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 01:18 PM
Robertson said this morning in an interview that he really expects Dohm to pitch this year. It will not be for long stints obviously but maybe an inning here and there. Anything from him is better than nothing as long as he is ready. He said he has no idea where the "done for the year" statements are coming from.

I don't see Dohm coming back. I mean he was out 3 weeks, then came back for like 12 pitches, didn't look good, and left shaking his arm again. I just don't see him being able to find it again, with the same agression he was pitching with before the injury. And his aggression is what makes him. He takes a couple mph off that fastball and it's 93 with no movement. Which, in this conference, is a meatball.

State82
04-29-2024, 02:01 PM
I don't see Dohm coming back. I mean he was out 3 weeks, then came back for like 12 pitches, didn't look good, and left shaking his arm again. I just don't see him being able to find it again, with the same agression he was pitching with before the injury. And his aggression is what makes him. He takes a couple mph off that fastball and it's 93 with no movement. Which, in this conference, is a meatball.

Oh I definitely agree. I would be shocked to see him on the bump at any point the remainder of this season.

Cooterpoot
04-29-2024, 03:04 PM

But he can't go middle relief for many innings really. It's been a problem and the walks are generally why. We've been careful when we've used him. Now if he can start giving us more innings without those walks, then great, but we're still down all those others which makes for a huge depth issue.

Cooterpoot
04-29-2024, 03:06 PM
Haha.
He would be ahead of Stevens for me right now.
Davis
Hardin
Schulke
Ligon
Pico
Stevens

Stevens gets put into bad situations too much. Give him clean innings only. Pico is a wait and see, He was bad last outing. Schulke is more match up than inning eater at this point. He scares the life out of me.

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 03:16 PM
Stevens gets put into bad situations too much. Give him clean innings only. Pico is a wait and see, He was bad last outing. Schulke is more match up than inning eater at this point. He scares the life out of me.

Yea when he starts getting stretched out over more than 2 batters is when the meatballs tend to happen. He's really good for a batter or two, when we're in SEC play. He can be stretched out a bit more in non con.

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 03:20 PM

Also, I would take anything Robertson says with a grain of salt. Since Cohen left, he's been a wrong a hell of a lot more than he's been right. Cohen was his source and now that Selmon is cutting access to all the people that got powerful under Cohen, ole Rosey doesn't have many sources anymore. I think some of the baseball people will feed him tidbits here and there, but any real info left when Cohen did.

Coach34
04-29-2024, 03:23 PM
Dohm has been checked out and structurally he is fine buttttttttt he still isnt 100. Would be nice if he could give us an inning here and there

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 03:24 PM
Dohm has been checked out and structurally he is fine buttttttttt he still isnt 100. Would be nice if he could give us an inning here and there

Is it just a mental thing? Because if that's the case don't let him anywhere near the mound.

Coach34
04-29-2024, 03:27 PM
Is it just a mental thing? Because if that's the case don't let him anywhere near the mound.

well if he's good in the elbow only thing left is some kind of forearm muscle problem. I doubt it would be mental

Commercecomet24
04-29-2024, 03:40 PM
But he can't go middle relief for many innings really. It's been a problem and the walks are generally why. We've been careful when we've used him. Now if he can start giving us more innings without those walks, then great, but we're still down all those others which makes for a huge depth issue.

Oh i definitely agree we are skinny in the middle relief depth. Ligon has cut down on the walks the last 4 outings and maybe he's starting to shake the rust off. We need him or someone to step up in that role bad. Schuelke has been Jekyll/Hyde and he needs some help.

Commercecomet24
04-29-2024, 03:41 PM

Yeah i really wish they would use Stevens as either a guy to start an inning or just for a one hitter matchup situation. Quit putting so much pressure on him with runners everywhere. He did a good job early and we have needed the middle relief help.

Todd4State
04-29-2024, 04:01 PM
I would still like to see Stevens start and move Auger back to the bullpen. I guess we'll start Pico Wednesday and see what happens. Worst case scenario I bet we can get an inning or so out of Pico a weekend.

Dohm I'm not counting on at all.

confucius say
04-29-2024, 04:11 PM
Losing Makiah Grant hurt too. Lot of talent in that right arm.

The Federalist Engineer
04-29-2024, 07:22 PM

Haven't seen Dotson or Loftin in a while, they were all big prospects.

Hard thing for the MSU staff is that the SEC games are so close. Down 3-10, you can bring in the clown car. But in 3-2 games or 6-3 games, that "luxury" that does not come into play. Not been able
to pitch Holcombe since the 2-14 Ole Miss Sunday.

KOdawg1
04-29-2024, 07:33 PM

100%.

Dude would've been a power arm for us out of the pen