PDA

View Full Version : Hines will be SEC POTW - book it.

R2Dawg
04-28-2024, 04:26 PM
NT

Offshore Dawg
04-28-2024, 04:45 PM
What was it 3 HR's and 7 rbi's

KOdawg1
04-28-2024, 04:47 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Hunter ends up passing DJ and leading the team in HRs. Good to see him wake up and start smoking the ball again

mparkerfd20
04-28-2024, 06:15 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if Hunter ends up passing DJ and leading the team in HRs. Good to see him wake up and start smoking the ball again

Not that big of a stretch. DJ is easily one of the 3 worst hitters on the team right now.

CaptainObvious
04-28-2024, 06:19 PM
DJ needs to take his turn at Leadoff. Maybe it will give him a chance to see actual pitches he can hit instead of him swinging at pitches Roy McAvoy would prefer.

TALL DAWG
04-28-2024, 07:53 PM
DJ needs to swing at pitches when they are over the plate. We are ready for him to come around like Hines did.
We need him to heat up.

KOdawg1
04-28-2024, 07:57 PM
DJ needs to swing at pitches when they are over the plate. We are ready for him to come around like Hines did.
We need him to heat up.

DJ needs to stop trying to hit every pitch 490 feet. Pulls his head out on half his swings. Shorten up and just try to make contact. He's got enough natural power that the HRs will be there

bulldogcountry1
04-28-2024, 08:13 PM
It feels like it?s been taboo to criticize DJ, but he?s done very little in SEC play. Seems like most of his hits have been after the game has been decided. In a month, he?s gone from the other team consistently intentionally walking him to being an easy out.

Honestly, it looks like he can?t see the ball most of the time. He swings through way too many fastballs.

R2Dawg
04-28-2024, 08:42 PM
DJ needs another year also. He ain't ready for MLB. He gets HR in his head and his approach at the plate is messed up. He is raw and has all the tools but he needs some hit coaching and then he will be good to go.

Yeah I'd move him in the lineup now too. Hines getting hot, Mershon just solid every game, and Conner H just clutch.

Bdawg
04-28-2024, 10:59 PM
DJ was swinging out of his shoes today. I just don’t get it. He doesn’t have to do that. His AB in the 9th was awful.

CaptainObvious
04-28-2024, 11:12 PM
DJ was swinging out of his shoes today. I just don’t get it. He doesn’t have to do that. His AB in the 9th was awful.

Yep. Chance had a long AB but finally made the first out. Announcers: steady talking and yakking Dores 2 outs away from a big series win.
Mershon has another king at bat and works his way on. Announcers: steady talking and yakking but now concerned DJ (dangerous hitter) coming up with runner on. DJ gets in hole early works it to 2-2, makes out number 2. Announcers: steady talking and yakking about how big of a rivalry this has been and great games against each other. Color analyst discussing the rivalry and in mid-words, the pitcher throws an 0-1 pitch middle in and Hines poses for a moment after hitting it and everybody knew that thing was way out except the announcers who had to shut up and find it as it hits behind the bleachers.

It was classic "Hunter Hines, who homered twice yesterday, gives Mississippi State the lead on a 2 run homer to right."

viverlibre
04-29-2024, 07:33 AM
Only on a MSU board can a positive post about one of our best players turn into a negative post about one of the best players in college baseball. We are truly our own worst enemy.

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 09:09 AM
Only on a MSU board can a positive post about one of our best players turn into a negative post about one of the best players in college baseball. We are truly our own worst enemy.

I don't think it's being negative. Facts are that DJ was 1-10 for the series with 7Ks. Add that to being 4-10 the weekend before and 4Ks. I mean that's 5-20 with 11Ks in his last two SEC series. He's struggling right now. Still plenty of times to turn it around and heck he could be like Hines and have a massive weekend this coming weekend.

Homedawg
04-29-2024, 10:26 AM
i week ago hines was trash. NOw it's dj. Who is hitting 291 in sec games only.......People amaze me....at 291 it puts him 5 points AHEAD OF MERSHON.....yes mershon is a tougher guy to k that easy to see. but still.....

BrunswickDawg
04-29-2024, 10:29 AM
i week ago hines was trash. NOw it's dj. Who is hitting 291 in sec games only.......People amaze me....at 291 it puts him 5 points AHEAD OF MERSHON.....yes mershon is a tougher guy to k that easy to see. but still.....

And yes, he struggled this weekend. And yes, he is about to own our single-season K record. So what. That's baseball.

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 10:52 AM

I don't think to say he's struggling is saying he sucks or is trash. He had a really bad weekend. He had 7Ks in 10 ABs. That's a really bad weekend. Doesn't mean he'll have a bad one this weekend though.

mparkerfd20
04-29-2024, 12:38 PM
Hines was not POTW. Alabama guy got it. The Vandy Friday night guy did get Pitcher of the week though.

Commercecomet24
04-29-2024, 12:50 PM

Even more amazing was some of the people saying Hines was terrible, say there's no way vandy should've pitched to him the 9th , lol! Armchair coaches with 20/20 hindsight.

WSOPdawg
04-29-2024, 01:00 PM
DJ needs another year also. He ain't ready for MLB.

Just wondering if the right size NIL package could persuade DJ, Hunter and Lo to forgo MLB draft this year and return ala LSU in 2023 when Dillon Crews returned.

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 01:03 PM
Just wondering if the right size NIL package could persuade DJ, Hunter and Lo to forgo MLB draft this year and return ala LSU in 2023 when Dillon Crews returned.

Well Cjintje is ineligible for NIL due to being an international player. Hines loses any leverage by coming back and we can't offer DJ near what an MLB signing bonus would be. I mean you would have to use up ALL of your baseball NIL on one player and we need about 5-7 players out of the portal.

WSOPdawg
04-29-2024, 01:19 PM
Well Cjintje is ineligible for NIL due to being an international player. Hines loses any leverage by coming back and we can't offer DJ near what an MLB signing bonus would be. I mean you would have to use up ALL of your baseball NIL on one player and we need about 5-7 players out of the portal.

Me being greedy with regards to Cjintje returning, but YES!!!

Hines losing leverage could maybe be worth a little extra NIL to return (but probably not).

With regards to DJ, as some have alluded to his strikeout performance this year, he is leading the SEC in Ks meaning a little more seasoning would do him good, especially if he really performed in a Charlie Condon and Dylan Crews type level to jump into the upper part of Round 1.

Again, this is probably wishful thinking on my part and me being greedy.

KentuckyDawg13
04-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Hines didn't win it.
https://www.secsports.com/news/2024/04/sec-baseball-weekly-awards-week-11

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 01:34 PM

Hines losing leverage could maybe be worth a little extra NIL to return (but probably not).

With regards to DJ, as some have alluded to his strikeout performance this year, he is leading the SEC in Ks meaning a little more seasoning would do him good, especially if he really performed in a Charlie Condon and Dylan Crews type level to jump into the upper part of Round 1.

DJ is what he is He's not going to break out with a Crews type year. He's a power hitter who strikes out a bunch. The MLB loves that these days. And with his leverage, a team will WELL overplay slot to get him to sign.

Homedawg
04-29-2024, 02:40 PM
DJ is what he is He's not going to break out with a Crews type year. He's a power hitter who strikes out a bunch. The MLB loves that these days. And with his leverage, a team will WELL overplay slot to get him to sign.

exactly

Homedawg
04-29-2024, 02:42 PM

he's ineligible, cough cough... Yes on hines he can't come back and correct again on DJ. Mershon should come back, I know he wasn't mentioned but he is eligible to be drafted.

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 02:48 PM
he's ineligible, cough cough... Yes on hines he can't come back and correct again on DJ. Mershon should come back, I know he wasn't mentioned but he is eligible to be drafted.

He's the one we need to get back. If we could return him and Pulliam, who we know is coming back, that locks down the middle infield. We know we're going to have to replace 1B,3B, and two outfield spots right now. Add on to that at least one starter spot, depends on what Stephen decides, and a couple of relievers. We will need to be active in the portal.

Commercecomet24
04-29-2024, 02:51 PM
He's the one we need to get back. If we could return him and Pulliam, who we know is coming back, that locks down the middle infield. We know we're going to have to replace 1B,3B, and two outfield spots right now. Add on to that at least one starter spot, depends on what Stephen decides, and a couple of relievers. We will need to be active in the portal.

Cupp will fit in there somewhere. Mershon and Pulliam solid middle infield.

StarkVegasSteve
04-29-2024, 02:52 PM
Cupp will fit in there somewhere. Mershon and Pulliam solid middle infield.

If either Cupp or Pulliam could learn to play 3B that would help us out A TON. I'd honestly prefer it to be Cupp. Mershon isn't exactly the smoothest 2B in the world and Cupp has the range to play it.

Coach34
04-29-2024, 03:19 PM

They arent returning. I wish baseball still had the 3 mandatory years rule but it doesnt. Just makes constructing a consistent roster that much tougher

R2Dawg
04-29-2024, 03:30 PM
Hines didn't win it.
https://www.secsports.com/news/2024/04/sec-baseball-weekly-awards-week-11

Wow, SEC Birmingham office strikes again. I mean Bama guy had a good week but what Hines did at #11 Vandy way above what happened in Oxford. Give me a break.