PDA

View Full Version : That?s Baseball

basedog
04-26-2024, 08:43 PM
Just not MSU Baseball. Hard to watch and be fired up. Maybe we will get one win this weekend, but we have problems and they aren?t gonna get better. I see 4 Sec caliber everyday players, glad Lemonis hired Parker and we have a Good Friday night pitcher.

I?m trying to find my maroon shades, I really want us to win.

DownwardDawg
04-26-2024, 08:47 PM
My goal has always been to win 1 this weekend. Sunday

BuckyIsAB****
04-26-2024, 08:50 PM
We aint very good

basedog
04-26-2024, 08:54 PM
My goal has always been to win 1 this weekend. Sunday

My goal was to win this series, tomorrow is huge! Vandy is ok but far from elite.

Todd4State
04-26-2024, 09:09 PM
My goal was to win this series, tomorrow is huge! Vandy is ok but far from elite.

Well Vandy's ace is pitching tomorrow against TBA. Really bad move to switch up the rotation on our part.

But that said you won't beat anyone scoring zero. Gautreau needs to get off his ass and start coaching his players on how to make some adjustments. I'm tired of his bullshit pro approach to hitting where you wait on guys to just figure it out.

We're middle of the pack with him sitting on his ass. I'd like to see what our guys can do with someone actually coaching them.

No BS Dawg
04-26-2024, 09:13 PM
We just are not very good, it is what it is. We lost two the the worst OM team in over a decade and had a very difficult time with the worst Auburn team in a decade at home where we could easily have lost 2 to them. We have too many glaring holes throughout the team/program to be consistently competitive. If we can manage one this weekend, consider it a huge success. Dark days ahead for the rest of the season, I fear.

Todd4State
04-26-2024, 09:14 PM
We just are not very good, it is what it is. We lost two the the worst OM team in over a decade and had a very difficult time with the worst Auburn team in a decade at home where we could easily have lost 2 to them. We have too many glaring holes throughout the team/program to be consistently competitive. If we can manage one this weekend, consider it a huge success. Dark days ahead for the rest of the season, I fear.

It's easy to be bad when you don't maximize your talent.

basedog
04-26-2024, 09:17 PM
Well Vandy's ace is pitching tomorrow against TBA. Really bad move to switch up the rotation on our part.

But that said you won't beat anyone scoring zero. Gautreau needs to get off his ass and start coaching his players on how to make some adjustments. I'm tired of his bullshit pro approach to hitting where you wait on guys to just figure it out.

We're middle of the pack with him sitting on his ass. I'd like to see what our guys can do with someone actually coaching them.

Lemonis should take over our hitters, if not his job is on the line. What series have we been impressive so far? Maybe Georgia.

Todd4State
04-26-2024, 09:18 PM
And one other thing that made me cringe recently. Lemonis was talking about how it's hard to hit a pitcher throwing 85. Do we not have pitching machines that we can adjust the speeds on? I heard Campbell's coach talking about how they use the scouting reports and then adjust their machines accordingly pregame. Bunch of morons.

Todd4State
04-26-2024, 09:19 PM
Lemonis should take over our hitters, if not his job is on the line. What series have we been impressive so far? Maybe Georgia.

LSU was probably the most impressive. His job is only on the line if the hitters mess up so bad we don't go to the regionals. Not sure how likely that is yet.

No BS Dawg
04-26-2024, 09:21 PM
It's easy to be bad when you don't maximize your talent.
Yep, coaching is one of the glaring deficiencies I alluded to with the team/program. Inexcusable.

basedog
04-26-2024, 09:21 PM
LSU was probably the most impressive. His job is only on the line if the hitters mess up so bad we don't go to the regionals. Not sure how likely that is yet.

Maybe so Todd but LSU has been below average this year.

Bothrops
04-26-2024, 09:23 PM
There's no way we're talented enough to win as many games as some of yall require.

Todd4State
04-26-2024, 09:51 PM
Maybe so Todd but LSU has been below average this year.

I wasn't exactly bragging about us hitting in one series all year.

PGHBulldogBG
04-26-2024, 09:52 PM
There's no way we're talented enough to win as many games as some of yall require.

That is the big issue. We don’t have the talent and mental toughness to win road SEC series. We might steal a game but not 2

Todd4State
04-26-2024, 09:52 PM

Even more reason to not try to pull everything IMO.

KOdawg1
04-26-2024, 10:05 PM
For as "talented" as I was told we were, we sure don't look like it

Todd4State
04-26-2024, 10:18 PM
For as "talented" as I was told we were, we sure don't look like it

Neither did our pitchers last year. Until they got a real pitching coach who actually understands the game and can blend modern with old school.

Same situation with our hitting.

Goldendawg
04-26-2024, 10:32 PM
According to Lemonis Q & A on genespage, it wasn't our hitting. We ran into the "second coming of Bob Gibson"(my analogy** from his comments), and he said that we face their ace tomorrow. Wow. He also said 'mani was struggling. You think? Has he even checked his BA against SEC pitching?

CaptainObvious
04-26-2024, 10:52 PM
According to Lemonis Q & A on genespage, it wasn't our hitting. We ran into the "second coming of Bob Gibson"(my analogy** from his comments), and he said that we face their ace tomorrow. Wow. He also said 'mani was struggling. You think? Has he even checked his BA against SEC pitching?

I would like to see the entire teams BA against SEC only. Can't be very good.

Coach34
04-26-2024, 11:02 PM
I would like to see the entire teams BA against SEC only. Can't be very good.

We are middle of the pack SEC

Goldendawg
04-26-2024, 11:36 PM

"Middle of the Pack" might well be perceived as mediocre. Win tomorrow and/or Sunday, all is well, again, with this roller coaster team. Hail State!

TheLostDawg
04-27-2024, 12:08 AM
"Middle of the Pack" might well be perceived as mediocre. Win tomorrow and/or Sunday, all is well, again, with this roller coaster team. Hail State!

We win the games we're suppose to and lose the ones we're suppose to plus road games. We aren't very good. We have only beaten teams that aren't great and struggled to win those games. We have also lost to teams we should have beaten but those seem to be on the road where we were winning and collapsed.

basedog
04-27-2024, 06:54 AM
Hope we upset Vandy and their ace today, just win! We just haven't been good on the road.

CaptainObvious
04-27-2024, 07:26 AM

How about specifics for the top 12 players who get AB's? I would like to see the actual numbers in SEC games only.

msstate7
04-27-2024, 07:32 AM

Avg is a poor stat to judge an offense.
8th in OBP
13th in slugging
14th in hr

We have no power, none. Keep in mind this is all games, and we've played the easiest schedule in the sec

Santiago
04-27-2024, 07:38 AM
And one other thing that made me cringe recently. Lemonis was talking about how it's hard to hit a pitcher throwing 85. Do we not have pitching machines that we can adjust the speeds on? I heard Campbell's coach talking about how they use the scouting reports and then adjust their machines accordingly pregame. Bunch of morons.

Let's just get Campbell's coach and keep Parker.
Those guys can hit.

basedog
04-27-2024, 07:45 AM
8th in OBP
13th in slugging
14th in hr

We have no power, none. Keep in mind this is all games, and we've played the easiest schedule in the sec

We are more of a base to base hitting team, we have been a poor clutch hitting team. Last night is a good example, I think it was 7th inning, base runners on 1st and 3rd with two outs and we hit a weak ground ball to second baseman.

Lemonis is more of a sit back manager and let his assistants do their thing, hey I understand you do this as HC but many times or sometimes the HC has to take charge, like be more involved with hitting, pitching or defense coaching. Some may disagree with my take on Lemonis, but he seems to be a slower learner, or he doesn't want to hurt someone's feelings.
Too laid back, it's obvious.

Santiago
04-27-2024, 08:02 AM

That is going to drop a whole lot after Vandy, and Arkansas
Really hard to see where we are on record and stats after playing the weaker SEC teams so far.

We have played 5 of the bottom 8 SEC teams in ERA this season.
When we play bama and Missouri, that will make it 7 out of the bottom 8 teams in ERA.

I hope we go on a run for the remainder of the season, but this is really bad right now.

DownwardDawg
04-27-2024, 09:04 AM

I get that, but while they are far from elite, they are still much better than us.
Damn the expectations have fallen.
Just make a regional.

Santiago
04-27-2024, 09:08 AM
I get that, but while they are far from elite, they are still much better than us.
Damn the expectations have fallen.
Just make a regional.

Agree, and this is what becomes frustrating is see fans lower the bar on expectations. It should be ok to want Lemonis to do well, but also call out that we continue to slide in the opposite direction we want to go.

msstate7
04-27-2024, 09:39 AM
Agree, and this is what becomes frustrating is see fans lower the bar on expectations. It should be ok to want Lemonis to do well, but also call out that we continue to slide in the opposite direction we want to go.

Tough position... the goal for THIS team should be a regional, but that saves lemonis, who put THIS team (with lower expectations) together

Santiago
04-27-2024, 09:43 AM
Tough position... the goal for THIS team should be a regional, but that saves lemonis, who put THIS team (with lower expectations) together

Lemonis is living right if he makes a regional. The SEC schedule avoiding Kentucky, SC, and TN, while Florida was also down(and we still lost), and in a season where LSU and Ole Miss are having a tough year.

Just glad we won't have to face Air Force in a regional ***

It really is sad we have a fan base hoping to just win one at Vandy, and one at Arkansas, and squeak by to get in a regional.
We need a Justin Haire or someone to come in this off season and re-evaluate talent, and get the portal players needed.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-27-2024, 09:48 AM
It's pretty much just C34 that's trying to lower the standard.

He has argued with me saying that there's literally 30-40 teams with the same resources as us, so we shouldn't expect average results better than that. He calls this season -where we are unranked and will barely make a regional- a "response" that proved the Lemo haters wrong.

I've yet to see anyone else deviate from the following standard: make a regional almost every year, be in host contention most years, make a Super every 2nd or 3rd year. Only C34 wants to celebrate a coach for maki g a regional like that's some accomplishment

DownwardDawg
04-27-2024, 09:52 AM
Lemonis is living right if he makes a regional. The SEC schedule avoiding Kentucky, SC, and TN, while Florida was also down(and we still lost), and in a season where LSU and Ole Miss are having a tough year.

Just glad we won't have to face Air Force in a regional ***

It really is sad we have a fan base hoping to just win one at Vandy, and one at Arkansas, and squeak by to get in a regional.
We need a Justin Haire or someone to come in this off season and re-evaluate talent, and get the portal players needed.

^^^This^^^

Santiago
04-27-2024, 09:53 AM
It's pretty much just C34 that's trying to lower the standard.

He has argued with me saying that there's literally 30-40 years with the same resources as us, so we shouldn't expect average results better than that. He calls this season -where we are unranked and will barely make a regional- a "response" that proved the Lemo haters wrong.

I've yet to see anyone else deviate from the following standard: make a regional almost every year, be in host contention most years, make a Super every 2nd or 3rd year. Only C34 wants to celebrate a coach for maki g a regional like that's some accomplishment

Agree.
Other SEC West teams are making really good hires, including Bama hiring that coach from Maryland. A&M stepped up with Schloss. LSU has the number 1 recruiting class.
But yeah, we should just bend over that bucket and take it. ***

Campbell will win over 35 games again this season but probably not make it to a regional. I wish we would take advantage of that running go, and get Haire here as soon as the season is over and start evaluating our current team, and what he needs for the Portal.

The Federalist Engineer
04-27-2024, 10:05 AM
PSA - Vandy has good players and routinely recruits better HS talent than MSU. You should expect trips to Vandy to be competitive and not easy

That said Goat is a mediocre hitting coach and does not recruit as well as the MsU facilities and tradition would expect. What is this clown still doing in Starkville. Just get rid of him on Monday.

confucius say
04-27-2024, 10:07 AM
How about specifics for the top 12 players who get AB's? I would like to see the actual numbers in SEC games only.
You can google it

https://hailstate.com/sports/baseball/stats/2024

confucius say
04-27-2024, 10:09 AM
Yall have more emotional mood swings than tennage girls.

Santiago
04-27-2024, 10:13 AM

For me, my mood swing started against Air Force, and slowly built up through the season.
Actually it has been a mood for the past 3 seasons, so don't act like fans that have endured this BS for 3 seasons are somehow on a mood swing. You sound like a Polk 2 fan.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-27-2024, 10:14 AM

No, we really don't. If we win, the people that doubt Lemo tend to stay away because they don't want to get roasted by the pro Lemo crowed that comes out to play. Same in reverse when we lose. I am one of the few doubters that shows up to argue my case even when things look good. C34 is one of the few pro Lemo people that show up even when we lose.

Basically, the people in this thread aren't changing their tune. Who comments changed based on results

Santiago
04-27-2024, 10:21 AM
No, we really don't. If we win, the people that doubt Lemo tend to stay away because they don't want to get roasted by the pro Lemo crowed that comes out to play. Same in reverse when we lose. I am one of the few doubters that shows up to argue my case even when things look good. C34 is one of the few pro Lemo people that show up even when we lose.

Basically, the people in this thread aren't changing their tune. Who comments changed based on results

Agree.
It is the 3 years of the crap that have good MSU fans frustrated.
Anyone trying to say that after 3 seasons of this, that fans who are still posting and care are somehow moody is just a BS cheap shot.
We have fans that care, even after 2 years of some of the worst baseball in our history.

We all care, win or lose or we would not be posting at all.

For me, I see the rest of the West hiring some legit coaches, while those holding on to Lemonis are trying to say "we are pretty good this year". I really want Lemonis to work out, but we need a change at the end of this season. Need a new coach to come in and make evaluations.

msstate7
04-27-2024, 10:56 AM

The topic is basically whether lemonis should stay or not. I really don't remember a group going hard on keeping him; I can remember people being encouraged some, but not giving him thumbs up for the future.

msstate7
04-27-2024, 10:57 AM
As far as what we have coming back next season, I wouldn't worry about that too much. If lemonis can get us to the tourney, I feel confident we can pull some transfer talent to fill holes.

StateDawg44
04-27-2024, 11:24 AM
As far as what we have coming back next season, I wouldn't worry about that too much. If lemonis can get us to the tourney, I feel confident we can pull some transfer talent to fill holes.

See I fully expect the same results we?ve had since we won CWS. He couldn?t even capitalize after that.

And simply making a regional is going to tip the scale and put recruits on notice?

msstate7
04-27-2024, 11:27 AM
See I fully expect the same results we?ve had since we won CWS. He couldn?t even capitalize after that.

And simply making a regional is going to tip the scale and put recruits on notice?

I'm sure we (fans, coaches, players) celebrated that baby waaaaayyyy too long after finally getting it. It's ancient history now, so I think the hunger is back (hopefully).

confucius say
04-27-2024, 12:36 PM

Same results as what, 2022-23 or 2024? Because we sucked the first two and are a projected 2 seed now with multiple posts on here about having an outside shot of hosting going into this weekend. Not sure why people are lumping this season in with the last two and they are all the same.

maroonmania
04-27-2024, 02:01 PM
I've just become very apathetic about baseball. We are not well coached outside of Parker and it's just not worth emotionally investing in. Lemons, stay or go, whatever, but it's obvious to me he is not the long term solution to get us back to where we were 2016-2021. Making a regional may save his job this year but we likely will be back next year again struggling to see if we can make post season and again debating on whether Lemonis should stay or go. Killed us when Cohen left as our baseball coach because he was a good baseball coach for us but lousy AD so it messed us up in multiple ways. I still can't believe Auburn wanted him as their AD but glad they took him off our hands.

Coach34
04-27-2024, 05:11 PM
ok boys- time to put your tampons back in

Todd4State
04-27-2024, 05:16 PM
Hey look the team used the whole field and look what happened!

Todd4State
04-27-2024, 05:18 PM
Let's just get Campbell's coach and keep Parker.
Those guys can hit.

I hear you. But I'm being realistic. Lemonis is likely coming back barring a massive end of the year meltdown.

Keeping Gautreau for recruiting and adding someone from Campbell to help with hitting off the field is not a terrible plan.

confucius say
04-27-2024, 05:41 PM
ok boys- time to put your tampons back in

You said it more abruptly, but that's what I was saying. Our fans have huge 30,000 foot outlook changes based off one game.
We win tomorrow and we're in the hosting conversation. As it is we're a solid 2 seed, not "struggling to make the postseason."

Coach34
04-27-2024, 05:53 PM
You said it more abruptly, but that's what I was saying. Our fans have huge 30,000 foot outlook changes based off one game.
We win tomorrow and we're in the hosting conversation. As it is we're a solid 2 seed, not "struggling to make the postseason."

yep. Florida and Geogia are struggling to make the postseason. Not us

Santiago
04-27-2024, 05:57 PM

agree , but what is our expectation with Lemonis over the next few years? To just get into regionals as 2 and 3 seeds?

Commercecomet24
04-27-2024, 05:57 PM

Great post. I don't know where this "struggling to make the postseason" stuff came from. We've been projected as a solid 2 seed by all the major players.

Santiago
04-27-2024, 05:58 PM
I hear you. But I'm being realistic. Lemonis is likely coming back barring a massive end of the year meltdown.

Keeping Gautreau for recruiting and adding someone from Campbell to help with hitting off the field is not a terrible plan.

Sad man. depressing.

Santiago
04-27-2024, 06:48 PM
yep. Florida and Geogia are struggling to make the postseason. Not us

if Georgia does not get in a regional, then we have no series wins this season against a team in the CWS regionals.

Coach34
04-27-2024, 07:07 PM
if Georgia does not get in a regional, then we have no series wins this season against a team in the CWS regionals.

Until tomorrow

confucius say
04-27-2024, 07:14 PM

Let the season play out. LSU may very well be in once it's over. Georgia too. And we still have Bama and ark.

DownwardDawg
04-27-2024, 07:16 PM
Until tomorrow

I like the optimism. That would be huge and today totally put us in a position to win.

Ezsoil
04-27-2024, 07:25 PM
8th in OBP
13th in slugging
14th in hr

Neither did the 2013 team ...and that team was the most successful team before Lemonis came along and accomplished something no other coach has been able to do and in doing so elevated the expectations.

Coach34
04-27-2024, 07:42 PM
8th in OBP
13th in slugging
14th in hr

I notice you left that we are 7th in runs scored...so let's get back to my response to our hitting in SEC games only

7th in average
7th in runs scored
6th in OPB

you know- middle of the gotdamn pack as I said

Todd4State
04-27-2024, 08:22 PM
I notice you left that we are 7th in runs scored...so let's get back to my response to our hitting in SEC games only

7th in average
7th in runs scored
6th in OPB

you know- middle of the gotdamn pack as I said

It's hard to put lack of power on the hitting coach IMO. Highfill got hurt. That's probably 10 home runs right there. Kohler also got hurt and that his affected him some.