PDA

View Full Version : Hollis Porter

Count Istvan Teleky
04-25-2024, 07:19 AM
From Mike Christensen's blog:

Hollis Porter (Hurley) of PRCC leads the league in homers with 19, which also ranks second in the nation.

https://allmississippibaseball.net/

Did we cut him?

CaptainObvious
04-25-2024, 08:05 AM
Probably told him he didn't strike out on enough to make our lineup.

Pancho
04-25-2024, 09:24 AM
what position do they have him playing?

Leroy Jenkins
04-25-2024, 09:32 AM
So every team in America missed him too? Or is it more likely he simply got better?

StarkVegasSteve
04-25-2024, 09:41 AM
what position do they have him playing?

They have him playing 1B.

StarkVegasSteve
04-25-2024, 09:42 AM
So every team in America missed him too? Or is it more likely he simply got better?

Oh we saw him. Heck we had him. We just cut him

ScooterDog
04-25-2024, 09:48 AM
So, I guess now LSU will sign him and he will come back and kick our butts. That would be typical of MSUs fate. My, oh my.

Pancho
04-25-2024, 12:16 PM
He needs some good evaluating which he may not have gotten when he was here. Is the bridge burned with Lemo and company with him?

Commercecomet24
04-25-2024, 12:30 PM
PRCC has these type hr hitters every year, and very few pan out at higher levels. I can think of several over the last few years. Tate Parker, Graham Crawford, Dexter Jordan, Von Siebert, and i could go on. park is a band box, smaller than most hs fields, add in it's also juco pitching. Now Porter maybe a stud but you can't base on hitting hrs at prccc.

basedog
04-25-2024, 12:35 PM
PRCC has these type hr hitters every year, and very few pan out at higher levels. I can think of several over the last few years. Tate Parker, Graham Crawford, Dexter Jordan, Von Siebert, and i could go on. park is a band box, smaller than most hs fields, add in it's also juco pitching. Now Porter maybe a stud but you can't base on hitting hrs at prccc.

Good info 24.

StarkVegasSteve
04-25-2024, 01:27 PM

Commerce what are the dimensions of that field? I just looked up photos of it and it looks TINY down the lines.

Leroy Jenkins
04-25-2024, 01:45 PM
I think it's about 330 to right 315 to left (with a pretty high wall) and 360 straight away center. My best guess.

It's nice though.

StarkVegasSteve
04-25-2024, 01:48 PM
I think it's about 330 to right 315 to left and 360 straight away center. My best guess.

If it's 360 to dead center then no wonder it's a launching pad

Commercecomet24
04-25-2024, 02:00 PM
I think it's about 330 to right 315 to left and 360 straight away center. My best guess.

347 to dead center, 320 right and 300 to left. We measured it 😂 because west jones plays jamboree down there every spring.

Oh yeah it is a nice facility although I believe Jones has the best park and facilities in juco, jmo.

Commercecomet24
04-25-2024, 02:02 PM
Commerce what are the dimensions of that field? I just looked up photos of it and it looks TINY down the lines.

Oops sorry I didn't see your post and just posted the actual dimensions. Me and Ginn's dad used to laugh at how small it was. It's why so many hitters want to play at prcc. Heck my kid hit one on top of the building in left which sounds huge but it's only about 350 to the building lol!

It's like Stringer High school built a juco field lol

ZedFedder
04-25-2024, 02:03 PM
That is incredibly small. Sheesh.

Commercecomet24
04-25-2024, 02:07 PM
A lot of juco fields are small though that's why so many hr numbers are inflated and then folks wonder why the kids don't crush in d1. Heck West Jones is 315 to left and right and 380 to center.

Leroy Jenkins
04-25-2024, 02:08 PM
Is there another sport where the size of the playing surface is just....., whatever you feel like?

StarkVegasSteve
04-25-2024, 02:08 PM
A lot of juco fields are small though that's why so many hr numbers are inflated and then folks wonder why the kids don't crush in d1. Heck West Jones is 315 to left and right and 380 to center.

I think NWCC in Senatobia has one of the biggest MACJC fields and it's not too terribly big.

Commercecomet24
04-25-2024, 02:10 PM
I think NWCC in Senatobia has one of the biggest MACJC fields and it's not too terribly big.

Yep.

Commercecomet24
04-25-2024, 02:13 PM
Is there another sport where the size of the playing surface is just....., whatever you feel like?

lol true but with a lot of the jucos and other small schools generally it's becaue of limited space available for the park and they do the best they can

Coach34
04-25-2024, 02:16 PM

Shit Holmes isnt. I probably hit 10 balls over my 2 years 380/385 feet that were just outs

Commercecomet24
04-25-2024, 02:18 PM
Shit Holmes isnt. I probably hit 10 balls over my 2 years 380/385 feet that were just outs

It's one of the few lol. Holmes is a big park.

basedog
04-25-2024, 03:28 PM

I guess you had "warning track power"* LOL

Commercecomet24
04-25-2024, 03:30 PM

That's hilarious!

Leroy Jenkins
04-25-2024, 03:44 PM

Do you or someone you know suffer from warning-track-power? If so call the office of Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe. You may be entitled to compensation.

Coach34
04-25-2024, 05:28 PM

hahaha- in our park? Yep

Commercecomet24
04-25-2024, 05:59 PM
hahaha- in our park? Yep

It's ok 34, I was a Punch and Judy hitter. Lotta line drive singles and could run, great glove though.. No power though.

Todd4State
04-25-2024, 06:38 PM

Should have gone to Pearl River.**

Todd4State
04-25-2024, 06:42 PM

Reminds me of a guy that played for us from Tupelo named Reed Hawkins I think. He played at MSU under McMahon for a year and didn't do much and then goes to Itawamba CC and hits like 23 home runs or something ridiculous. Gets offered out of JUCO by MSU, Ole Miss, and LSU and ends up at Ole Miss and then he completely fell off the face of the Earth. I don't even think he made Ole Miss's team out of the fall.

Commercecomet24
04-25-2024, 07:34 PM
Reminds me of a guy that played for us from Tupelo named Reed Hawkins I think. He played at MSU under McMahon for a year and didn't do much and then goes to Itawamba CC and hits like 23 home runs or something ridiculous. Gets offered out of JUCO by MSU, Ole Miss, and LSU and ends up at Ole Miss and then he completely fell off the face of the Earth. I don't even think he made Ole Miss's team out of the fall.

There's so many that looks like babe ruth in juco and then flame out. Remember Gunnar Halter? Led the nation in hrs in juco, came here and couldn't hit his weight. Juco in the past has been rampant with phd use as well and then the guys get to d1 and have to get clean and it hurts their power.

Mjoelner34
04-25-2024, 07:51 PM
It's ok 34, I was a Punch and Judy hitter. Lotta line drive singles and could run, great glove though.. No power though.

You sound like me except replace 'Lotta' with 'Occasional'. LOL

Commercecomet24
04-25-2024, 08:00 PM
You sound like me except replace 'Lotta' with 'Occasional'. LOL

lol we really should all get together one day and just shoot the bull. Would be interesting and fun!

Leroy Jenkins
04-25-2024, 08:41 PM
Juco in the past has been rampant with phd use as well and then the guys get to d1 and have to get clean and it hurts their power.

That is a really good point, and a definite possibility.

Coach34
04-25-2024, 09:05 PM
Should have gone to Pearl River.**

lol- no kidding.

I was actually supposed to go to East Central. Coach Clark (RIP) had called me and offered. Until then- Holmes didnt have a real program. They let football guys and whomever play. My damn Freshman year they decide to actually have a program. Hired a tri-athlete as coach and we built that baseball field. Coaching was awful. Really sucked not getting to go to EC and play for Coach Clark. He had been friends with my Dad and coached against him. I homered against them at EC and he grabbed me after the game and said- "damnnn son I tried" and we both laughed.

CaptainObvious
04-25-2024, 10:15 PM
Sometimes a Diamond is found in a small ballpark. Like a guy who played at Copiah Academy a few years back hitting homers over a 310 left field fence because there were trees directly behind it that apparently couldn't be cut down to curve the fence. That guy played 3 years at State and hit some prodigious homers. Turned out to be what they refer to as a 5 tool player. Still a journeyman outfielder in the majors last I heard.

StarkVegasSteve
04-26-2024, 02:06 AM
Sometimes a Diamond is found in a small ballpark. Like a guy who played at Copiah Academy a few years back hitting homers over a 310 left field fence because there were trees directly behind it that apparently couldn't be cut down to curve the fence. That guy played 3 years at State and hit some prodigious homers. Turned out to be what they refer to as a 5 tool player. Still a journeyman outfielder in the majors last I heard.

That “diamond” was pretty well known. I watched him one hop it to the football field at Magnolia Heights in the state championship his senior year. With the roll he hit it 450 ft. It was the only time we pitched to him the entire series.