https://x.com/11point7/status/1782471965262881033?s=46&t=OwYh-8ppYKXqKt8QQD9Mtw

https://x.com/11point7/status/1782471965262881033?s=46&t=OwYh-8ppYKXqKt8QQD9Mtw

At #8 seed Fla State

State82
04-23-2024, 08:13 AM
FSU is thinking, "Aww hell, not those guys again."

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2024, 08:15 AM
We seem to play well there. We've won two regionals there and they are scuffling after their start. I also can guarantee Link Jarrett wants no part of us.

Activated Alpha
04-23-2024, 09:01 AM
We also lost to Samford twice down there if I recall correctly

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2024, 09:07 AM
We also lost to Samford twice down there if I recall correctly

We did. It was Stratton's worst start of the year and their starter careered it in the Friday game and Holder blew his only save of the year in the Sunday game against them. Just a weird regional for us because we were coming off winning the SECT. A lot of people, myself included, thought we got screwed out of hosting that year.

CaptainObvious
04-23-2024, 09:26 AM
Is swap places with Vandy in that bracket in a heartbeat!

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-23-2024, 11:05 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/collegebaseball/s/Rj15tBDG7v

People on Reddit that average multiple RPI and rankings together have us as the first 4 out.

Ultimately, our #47 SOS and #45 RPI are killing us.

Winning is the solution. Take 2/6 from Vandy and Arky, take 3/6 from Bama and Mizzou and we're probably fine at 15-15. It's extremely doable.

But once again, we're discussing barely making the NCAAT; what do we expect out of our program? Is that good enough?

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2024, 11:24 AM

People on Reddit that average multiple RPI and rankings together have us as the first 4 out.

Winning is the solution. Take 2/6 from Vandy and Arky, take 3/6 from Bama and Mizzou and we're probably fine at 15-15. It's extremely doable.

But once again, we're discussing barely making the NCAAT; what do we expect out of our program? Is that good enough?

Well like I said before last weekend, between Auburn, Bama, and Mizzou (our last 3 home series) they have won a COMBINED 1 game on the road. That is still true after this weekend. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility we take the remaining 6 home games. That would put us at 16 wins. Just don't get swept at Vandy or Arky and you're comfortably in fighting to host.

BrunswickDawg
04-23-2024, 12:35 PM

That thread shows why RPI is not as huge of a factor as people make it out to be. Ole Miss with their current 6-12 SEC record is in, but our 10-8 is not? They have freakin Notre Dame in - and they are last in the ACC.
I hate to tell you this, but every dipwad on Reddit who uses math may not be the best barometer of where things stand.

Coach34
04-23-2024, 01:11 PM

Every reputable baseball site has us in. Sorry your dream of Lemon getting fired is slowly dying

Santiago
04-23-2024, 01:22 PM
Every reputable baseball site has us in. Sorry your dream of Lemon getting fired is slowly dying

I don't know, and just asking, but is Lemonis just getting us into the tournament what keeps his job?

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2024, 01:24 PM
I don't know, and just asking, but is Lemonis just getting us into the tournament what keeps his job?

That's the 1.5 million dollar question. If I'm the AD, no. But Selmon is a football guy, I really think making the tournament is going to appease him enough to keep Lemonis.

Santiago
04-23-2024, 01:35 PM
That's the 1.5 million dollar question. If I'm the AD, no. But Selmon is a football guy, I really think making the tournament is going to appease him enough to keep Lemonis.

Don't we have some boosters that are primarily baseball, and not really football? It seems we are unique with our support for baseball at MSU.
Would hope that they have Selmon's ear.

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2024, 01:39 PM
Don't we have some boosters that are primarily baseball, and not really football? It seems we are unique with our support for baseball at MSU.

We have some that think they throw around more money than they do and then Richard Adkerson steps in the room and they shut up. Adkerson bankrolls basketball and gives more than any for baseball.

Coach34
04-23-2024, 02:55 PM

If we are a 2 seed it’s highly likely he keeps his job unless we look like ass in the Regional and go 2 and Que. That would be the only thing to even cast doubt.

We’re tied for 5th in the SEC right now which means Top Half of the conference. We finish top half of the SEC? We’re not firing him. Our administration is not as delusional as our fanbase

It’s also been mentioned behind the scenes that LSU tanking this year has also helped Lemon’s cause- showing just how hard life in the SEC truly is.

Santiago
04-23-2024, 05:33 PM
If we are a 2 seed it?s highly likely he keeps his job unless we look like ass in the Regional and go 2 and Que. That would be the only thing to even cast doubt.

We?re tied for 5th in the SEC right now which means Top Half of the conference. We finish top half of the SEC? We?re not firing him. Our administration is not as delusional as our fanbase

It?s also been mentioned behind the scenes that LSU tanking this year has also helped Lemon?s cause- showing just how hard life in the SEC truly is.

Whether we can win enough against Vandy, Bama, Arkansas will decide if we can stay in the top half. Winning just a game at each place won't keep us in the top half.
LSU tanking after winning the championship v. us declining for 3 years straight to me is more of the discussion.
Is it really helping Lemonis that LSU has one off season compared to us to have 2 horrible seasons, and then scratching along this season.

edit: it also seems odd saying we would finish in the top half of the SEC, when we are not having to face at least 3 of the top 6.

Coach34
04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
We play Bama at home and will be favored to win the series

Candy is 3-7 vs Q1

UPig is tough. We got to go battle

That’s why we play the games

CaptainObvious
04-23-2024, 10:08 PM
Or.... and I'm just spitballing here, a down SEC this year(when has LSU, Auburn, Florida and Ole Miss been this bad in the same year? I can't remember it.

Coach34
04-23-2024, 10:27 PM
Or.... and I'm just spitballing here, a down SEC this year(when has LSU, Auburn, Florida and Ole Miss been this bad in the same year? I can't remember it.

SEC has 10 teams projected in the NCAA's and is the #1 conference yet again. Sooooooo nope

Todd4State
04-23-2024, 11:18 PM
That thread shows why RPI is not as huge of a factor as people make it out to be. Ole Miss with their current 6-12 SEC record is in, but our 10-8 is not? They have freakin Notre Dame in - and they are last in the ACC.
I hate to tell you this, but every dipwad on Reddit who uses math may not be the best barometer of where things stand.

The committee taking a 6-12 RPI team over a 10-8 SEC team because of RPI would be unheard of. IMO as long as we have at least 14 SEC wins with a RPI in the 30's we should be a lock to get in. 13 might be good enough if we get wins against certain teams but it's really hard to predict something with thousands of variables. With Mizzou left of the schedule- I think we're going to win way more than 14 and we will likely be safely in. And that's with me assuming we lose at least one against Mizzou. All of our remaining games are against RPI top 50 teams except for Mizzou which currently sits at 91- so even then they're really not nearly that bad RPI wise even if we lost that series as long as they don't lose to Lindenwood. And I am assuming we cancel North Alabama with their sub 200 RPI. But then again we decided to get a game in against Central Arkansas at 11 AM so who knows? Our RPI is 41 right now so enough wins should easily get us in the 30's.

I would venture to guess that the big baseball boosters also give to other sports. Former MSU players have a bit of say too- as well as some like Roy Oswalt. Some of them are in Lemonis's corner but those are usually the ones like Mangum and Tanner Allen that played for him. Lemonis can really help his cause by finishing the season strong and winning the Governor's Cup. But the deal has always been no regionals then he is gone. And Lemonis knows that. You can tell by the way he has acted at times during the season that he knows that he is on the hot seat. I think there is a small chance that he could get fired with a poor showing in the regionals. Like 0-2 with losses to Samford and Louisiana Lafayette. I also wouldn't be completely shocked if he walked away on his own for another job if the right opportunity came along like South Carolina just because of all of the flak he has gotten deserved or not. I'm not looking for that to happen though.

Commercecomet24
04-23-2024, 11:25 PM

Bruns as always you the man! 14+ wins gets us in and I believe we'll get to 15 or more. 4 series left and we only need 5 wins to get to 15? We're in pretty good shape.

Coach34
04-23-2024, 11:38 PM
It's so funny to me watching the Lemon haters working to find a way to hate on this team because they are going to be wrong about him this season.

"When Polk was coach We were never a 2 seed in the Coastal Carolina Regional. We gotta farrrr Lemon. We have ONE Natty in our history. We should never have to go to a G5 that only has 1 Natty like us"