PDA

View Full Version : Calling it now - we're going to Omaha

Quaoarsking
04-21-2024, 09:13 PM
Say what you will about Lemonis, but this team seems to have the intangible "it factor" for a deep tournament run. One of the top national seeds is going to be pissed to draw us as their 2 seed, and even more pissed when Khal & Loo win the first 2 games and we just figure out how to win the Regional from there. Then those 2 win us the Super in 2 games.

If real life were a tv show, I would say this has been foreshadowed, maybe too much, by the writers.

msstate7
04-21-2024, 09:17 PM
Q may be the only poster here more bi-polar than me haha.

If they get to Omaha, Q, let's go there and have a beer

Commercecomet24
04-21-2024, 09:22 PM
Man I really like this team and the way they play and I hope you're right. And maybe just
maybe we're starting to figure things out. Omaha is a little premature but heck someone has to get there might as be us.

DownwardDawg
04-21-2024, 09:32 PM
Puff puff pass.

Haha!! Joking. Man I hope we make a run. That would be so much fun to watch.

CaptainObvious
04-21-2024, 09:45 PM
Bwahahahahahaha!

State just beat a team that is now 2-16 in conference and just cost the beloved Head Coach his job! Let's check the exuberance just a bit! Maybe Butch ends up as pitching coach at Ole Miss.

The Federalist Engineer
04-21-2024, 09:54 PM
I just want better base running, a hitting DH, Long on Medication, Stevens in middle relief, and a decent Sunday starter. Then see what happens.

This week, we got 2 of those things that I am sure of.

Auger as 3 is not bad, I thought Davis, but a move that worked well enough to compete. Parker adjusted well from Sunday in Oxford.

A winning record at this point without an Ace is an achievement

Commercecomet24
04-21-2024, 10:01 PM
I just want better base running, a hitting DH, Long on Medication, Stevens in middle relief, and a decent Sunday starter. Then see what happens.

This week, we 2 things that I am sure of.

Auger as 3 is not bad, I thought Davis, but a move that worked well enough to compete. Parker adjusted well from Sunday in Oxford.

Khal is as good a number 1 as there is around. We have an ace.

Coach34
04-21-2024, 10:03 PM
We 100% have an Ace who is one of the SEC’s best.

If we are a 2 in a Regional that host is going to pissed.

Commercecomet24
04-21-2024, 10:04 PM
We 100% have an Ace who is one of the SEC’s best.

If we are a 2 in a Regional that host is going to pissed.

Yeah I could see us ruining someone's regional. Khal is big time.

Todd4State
04-21-2024, 10:08 PM

This week, we 2 things that I am sure of.

I'm hoping Pico takes the 3 Sunday spot eventually.

The biggest thing that hurt us against Ole Miss was Loo hurting his back and having to come out earlier than usual. Followed very closely but refusing to pitch Tyson Hardin two days in a row.

Commercecomet24
04-21-2024, 10:13 PM

The biggest thing that hurt us against Ole Miss was Loo hurting his back and having to come out earlier than usual. Followed very closely but refusing to pitch Tyson Hardin two days in a row.

Yeah Lo only going 3 hurt us but if we'd used Hardin any of the 3 times Saturday night we could've closed the game out we win. Don't understand the lack of use for Hardin there.

The Federalist Engineer
04-21-2024, 10:17 PM
Khal is as good a number 1 as there is around. We have an ace.

Trying not to talk about Khal, we already jinxed Nolan Stevens a bit. I am referring to losing Dohm as the "Ace". Yes Khal has been great. Imagine having two "Aces"

Nolan in mid-relief is right. I also insist he is DH versus RHP when not pitching

Todd4State
04-21-2024, 10:26 PM
This team has had opportunities to put themselves in a really good position. I want to see us come out focused against Memphis on Tuesday. Stop showing up to midweek games and acting like wearing MSU uniforms is going to intimidate the other team and just expecting something good to happen.

Khal gives us a chance every Friday. That's huge because Vandy and Arkansas have legit aces too. The weird games seem to happen when Loo pitches- Morris Hodges game, Georgia Johnny Long incident, Ole Miss game two. We need the weirdness that goes against to us to either balance out or stop like it did today. Short term- we will probably be facing Vandy's number five or a bullpen opener on Sunday. I think by the time we are done with the Governor's Cup and thus also midweek unless we decide to inexplicably play North Alabama we will probably figure out our Sunday situation one way or the other.

I think because of Vandy's pitching situation we may have a chance to steal that series on the road. Certainly could go either way with this group. Alabama we probably should win that series at home but they are solid team that could certainly upset us especially if our baserunning doesn't get better and we do stupid things. Arkansas is just better than almost everyone and that for whatever reason hate our ass. If we get one game there I'll be OK with it. Then Mizzou is a team we should sweep but at the same time they have been playing better and they have a history of giving Lemonis problems so I wouldn't exactly consider it a cake walk.

If everything goes right I could see us having an absolute ceiling of 18 SEC wins. The floor is probably something like 13 wins if I had to guess.

RPI wise we're at 45 as I type this. So Memphis and the Governor's Cup are actually pretty big games for us. Losing to Memphis could cause us to have to win another SEC game to get in, to get a host bid, etc. Winning the Governor's Cup could help out our RPI too and could help offset Central Arkansas. As long as our RPI is in the top 40 I think we should be Ok as far as getting in- which is probably going to mean that at least 13 wins gets us in as long as they aren't all against Mizzou. To host we're probably going to have to at least get into the top 20 RPI which if I had to guess probably means that we have to win all OOC and get 17 SEC wins. Maybe 18 if we don't sweep Mizzou.

Todd4State
04-21-2024, 10:29 PM
Yeah Lo only going 3 hurt us but if we'd used Hardin any of the 3 times Saturday night we could've closed the game out we win. Don't understand the lack of use for Hardin there.

That is true. We had a big lead and the bullpen blew it and the management was just gross.

If Pico can't be the Sunday guy- I think I would go ahead and let Nolan Stevens start. It would be a good experience for him.

Commercecomet24
04-21-2024, 10:30 PM
Trying not to talk about Khal, we already jinxed Nolan Stevens a bit. I am referring to losing Dohm as the "Ace". Yes Khal has been great. Imagine having two "Aces"

Nolan in mid-relief is right. I also insist he is DH versus RHP when not pitching

Yeah if we would have had khal, Dohm and Lo going all season that would've been a heckuva rotation.

Todd4State
04-21-2024, 10:43 PM
Yeah if we would have had khal, Dohm and Lo going all season that would've been a heckuva rotation.

It would be very MSU if Dohm comes back and contributes later. I would think that if he is still throwing and playing catch with the team that there is still a possibility that he comes back even if it's out of the bullpen.

Commercecomet24
04-21-2024, 10:45 PM
It would be very MSU if Dohm comes back and contributes later. I would think that if he is still throwing and playing catch with the team that there is still a possibility that he comes back even if it's out of the bullpen.

Would be nice to have him out there even if he can only go an inning or 2.

The Federalist Engineer
04-21-2024, 10:53 PM

Let's see Pico vs Memphis this week. It would be great to have a fully recovered Pico back on weekend work, regardless of role.

basedog
04-22-2024, 07:28 AM
Vandy is a different team playing at home versus the road. But I think there isn't a lot of difference in us and Vandy, big difference is playing them in Nashville.

DawgFromOxford
04-22-2024, 07:29 AM
How about we just qualify for a regional first. Still a lot of work left to do

basedog
04-22-2024, 07:35 AM
How about we just qualify for a regional first. Still a lot of work left to do

Yep, we gotta take it one game at a time, we aren't consistent enough yet to look ahead, but "we" fans can* LOL. Gonna be a tough series this weekend, but first Memphis Tuesday.

Saltydog
04-22-2024, 09:03 AM
Say what you will about Lemonis, but this team seems to have the intangible "it factor" for a deep tournament run. One of the top national seeds is going to be pissed to draw us as their 2 seed, and even more pissed when Khal & Loo win the first 2 games and we just figure out how to win the Regional from there. Then those 2 win us the Super in 2 games.

If real life were a tv show, I would say this has been foreshadowed, maybe too much, by the writers.

Let's see if you're back after next weekends series at Vandy saying the same thing.

Santiago
04-22-2024, 09:30 AM
Auburn is a really bad team, as far as lacking the pitchers, and a few hitters they typically have.
Glad we got the sweep.
Really need at least 1 win v. vandy this weekend

AlSwearengen
04-22-2024, 09:53 AM
We have 2 starting pitchers. After that, not much. We won two close games against a terrible auburn team. C'mon guys.

Bubb Rubb
04-22-2024, 09:56 AM

Congrats on your ticket purchase to the CWS. How much were they?

It's a shame you won't get to see State playing there.

Coach34
04-22-2024, 10:12 AM
We have 2 starting pitchers. After that, not much. We won two close games against a terrible auburn team. C'mon guys.

Auburn has now lost seven 1 run games in SEC play. They arent getting curbstomped every game out

We did what we were supposed to do- swept a struggling team- something UPig and Tennessee couldnt do against them

BrunswickDawg
04-22-2024, 10:15 AM
Crazier things have happened. In 2022, Ole Miss was 22-17/6-12 (SEC) at this point in the season coming off losing a series to us in Oxford. They then lost 2 of 3 to Arkansas and entered May 7-14 in SEC play.
Then they somehow worked their way in as the last seed in and won a Natty. The gods of baseball have a weird sense of humor.

Coursesuper
04-22-2024, 10:21 AM
Whoa there big boy! I really like the toughness of this team but they have a bunch of holes in them.

viverlibre
04-22-2024, 10:25 AM
Positivity is not welcome here. We may have be the only fanbase in America that openly roots for failure by our sports teams.

StarkVegasSteve
04-22-2024, 10:33 AM
We just need to take this thing one game at a time. We still have glaring issues, i.e. 3rd starter and closer, and we make FAR too many baserunning mistakes for a team with Omaha aspirations. Nice to see us win a couple of close games this weekend. Hopefully Hardin is starting to solidify himself in the closer role

Bubb Rubb
04-22-2024, 11:13 AM
Crazier things have happened. In 2022, Ole Miss was 22-17/6-12 (SEC) at this point in the season coming off losing a series to us in Oxford. They then lost 2 of 3 to Arkansas and entered May 7-14 in SEC play.
Then they somehow worked their way in as the last seed in and won a Natty. The gods of baseball have a weird sense of humor.

Their RPI was also in the 30s.

Tbonewannabe
04-22-2024, 11:20 AM
We actually have a good team for a 3 game series. We get into a Regional and we just need to stay in the winners bracket and we will have a chance.

Jacknut
04-22-2024, 11:35 AM
You just pissed off the dead indians. Quick, someone sacrifice a goat or something!

TNDawg35
04-22-2024, 11:49 AM
You just pissed off the dead indians. Quick, someone sacrifice a goat or something!

I just sacrificed a (KFC) chicken…. The whole bucket…

The Federalist Engineer
04-22-2024, 04:07 PM

Let people enjoy, dude. Let them soar.

"I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar"

https://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_luk1h7xNEy1qdqz7wo1_500.gif

Turfdawg67
04-22-2024, 04:21 PM
We are improving that's for sure. Which are we? The team that swept a putrid AU squad or the one that lost 2 of 3 from a lousy OM team? We've been impressive in a bunch of wins and totally listless in many, many losses. No DH, crappy bullpen, 3-4 ok hitters and clueless little leaguers running the bases. Our SP and D seem to be pretty dang good though. Who knows, and I hope you're right... but I'm missing the IT factor.

TaleofTwoDogs
04-22-2024, 06:15 PM

My friend, please call this number 800-555-1111, Substance Abuse Hotline. You will thank me later. **

Lord McBuckethead
04-22-2024, 06:46 PM
What, like as a guest or something?

Cooterpoot
04-22-2024, 07:17 PM
Auburn has now lost seven 1 run games in SEC play. They arent getting curbstomped every game out

We did what we were supposed to do- swept a struggling team- something UPig and Tennessee couldnt do against them

And had we played two 9 inning games it might be different too. Sometimes you need a break and we got it. I'll keep saying this is a regional team but I don't see anything beyond that unless we catch fire. The hitting has been disappointing, the pitching hasn't been other than no closer.

Todd4State
04-22-2024, 07:38 PM
And had we played two 9 inning games it might be different too. Sometimes you need a break and we got it. I'll keep saying this is a regional team but I don't see anything beyond that unless we catch fire. The hitting has been disappointing, the pitching hasn't been other than no closer.

I think we may have found the closer. As we saw in 2021 you can go deep in the postseason with two starters especially if one is a true ace and a legit closer.

I'm not saying we are going to Omaha. But if we play really well against Vandy and win the series or sweep all of a sudden we're in good shape to be a 2 seed and maybe even steal a host bid with a strong finish and no hiccups along the way.

Have to beat Memphis first though.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-22-2024, 08:18 PM

We did what we were supposed to do- swept a struggling team- something UPig and Tennessee couldn't do against them

It is true that sweeping anyone isn't easy. It is also true that Auburn -close games they may have had- were 2-13 coming into the weekend, and we played them at the Dude. We did what we needed too and now we're 1 step closer to the final record we need to make the tourney.

Vandy is vulnerable we have a chance to outright win the series, need 1 for sure. God I wish we had Dohm that would do so much to cover up for our weaknesses in the pen

The Federalist Engineer
04-22-2024, 08:33 PM
I think we may have found the closer. As we saw in 2021 you can go deep in the postseason with two starters especially if one is a true ace and a legit closer.

I'm not saying we are going to Omaha. But if we play really well against Vandy and win the series or sweep all of a sudden we're in good shape to be a 2 seed and maybe even steal a host bid with a strong finish and no hiccups along the way.

We've had super regional teams with less talent.

(1) Simce MSU plays in a premier park, MSU can't be intimidated by any visitor venue that is not actually Yankee Stadium. Especially some garbage ACC school. Even at Texas A&M all you see is sad dorks, doing sad dork stuff. Even LSU is 50% wine drunk, lonely moms.

Also, the MSU players are all showcase recruits. They have seen all the dudes they play against before. MSU has no "Rudy's".

(3) if Texas A&M is #1, then MSU basically played toe-to-toe with them. A&M was gift wrapped a shitty Ump in game-3. In game-1 started a dude that is not even Jackson State- Safe, and still made it a ball game.

Cooterpoot
04-22-2024, 08:49 PM

The bats aren't good enough without catching fire. The pitching depth is suspect unless Pico or someone can step up. The power outage by this team is the huge issue. We also don't have a catcher that can throw or hit. No real leadoff either. Just lots of problems. Again, we're a regional team, so we aren't terrible but we are limited right now. Could that change? Absolutely it could. Will it? That's the question. My big thing from the weekend was Kohler getting the big hit. That can change his arch hopefully. Also, Larry had a big hit. Maybe he can find it again.

The Federalist Engineer
04-22-2024, 08:58 PM
Just looked it up, the Texas A&M shitty Sunday lefty has only one Decent outing in the SEC and it was vs MSU.

MSU could play and beat the #1 National Seed and beat them at their place.

One adjustment CJ just walk Montgomery, seems that CJ is raw meat to Montgomery.

Coach34
04-22-2024, 11:56 PM
Just looked it up, the Texas A&M shitty Sunday lefty has only one Decent outing in the SEC and it was vs MSU.

MSU could play and beat the #1 National Seed and beat them at their place.

One adjustment CJ just walk Montgomery, seems that CJ is raw meat to Montgomery.

We struggle with LHP’s. That’s what kept Auburn in the series

The Federalist Engineer
04-23-2024, 01:34 AM

When it comes to RH Hitters, I expected Jordan, Larry, Hujsak, Chance and Switch Mershon to be shitty-lefty proof. I don't have player by player splits this year.

I expected Larry to be hitting 50 points higher. Seems that a 250 second baseman can't be a DH. But maybe he can be platoon with Kohler at 3B. I share the Terry Pendleton theory that corner Infielders must hit, Kohler's early injury maybe spoiled his production this year. Ethan Pulliam should play until he stops hitting.

maroonmania
04-23-2024, 07:03 AM
Q, I hope your family has a really nice trip. ***

StarkVegasSteve
04-23-2024, 08:08 AM
We've had super regional teams with less talent.

(1) Simce MSU plays in a premier park, MSU can't be intimidated by any visitor venue that is not actually Yankee Stadium. Especially some garbage ACC school. Even at Texas A&M all you see is sad dorks, doing sad dork stuff. Even LSU is 50% wine drunk, lonely moms.

Also, the MSU players are all showcase recruits. They have seen all the dudes they play against before. MSU has no "Rudy's".

(3) if Texas A&M is #1, then MSU basically played toe-to-toe with them. A&M was gift wrapped a shitty Ump in game-3. In game-1 started a dude that is not even Jackson State- Safe, and still made it a ball game.

Glad someone brought that up. Can we please stop doing the ball 5, 6, etc chant and for the love of god STOP BRINGING BUBBLE MACHINES. It looks like we're playing 8U coach pitch with that crap. Let them do the weird stuff and let Ole Miss throw beer. We need to do our own thing.

PGHBulldogBG
04-23-2024, 06:26 PM
Does baseball RPI factor in road and neutral field games the way basketball does or does that not play a part in RPI and SOS?

Quaoarsking
04-23-2024, 08:12 PM
Does baseball RPI factor in road and neutral field games the way basketball does or does that not play a part in RPI and SOS?

Yes, the same 1.4 for road, 0.6 for home that basketball used to do.

cujo
04-24-2024, 04:56 PM
I mean it. Ole Miss' title in 2022 proved it can be done. You don't have to be one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the nation or even a national seed.
Our main missing ingredient is a closer. If someone emerges, or even a closer by committee, we could do it.

Quaoarsking
04-28-2024, 04:15 PM
Do you believe yet? This team has the "it factor."

DownwardDawg
04-28-2024, 04:38 PM
Do you believe yet? This team has the "it factor."

This weekend proved we can certainly win a regional title and a super regional.

maroonmania
04-28-2024, 04:49 PM
I mean it. Ole Miss' title in 2022 proved it can be done. You don't have to be one of the 2 or 3 best teams in the nation or even a national seed.
Our main missing ingredient is a closer. If someone emerges, or even a closer by committee, we could do it.

Ole Miss proved in 2022 that ANYONE that can sustain a post-season pitching streak of giving up 3 runs or less in every game played can win a title. I don't see us doing that though.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-28-2024, 04:55 PM

Apparently, Hines does NOT struggle with lefties anymore lol

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-28-2024, 04:58 PM
This weekend proved we can certainly win a regional title and a super regional.

And OM and Florida showed we can be bounced from a regional too. Team is capable of playing like a top 10ish team OR like #35. We should be in a regional for sure now, only question is which State team will show up to it. Last 2 weekends they've been locked in maybe they learned some lessons from OM

Todd4State
04-28-2024, 05:36 PM
Ole Miss proved in 2022 that ANYONE that can sustain a post-season pitching streak of giving up 3 runs or less in every game played can win a title. I don't see us doing that though.

The way the postseason is set up now as long as you stay in the winners bracket you don't have to use as much pitching depth as you would a normal SEC weekend.

Turfdawg67
05-03-2024, 11:32 PM

This could be the greatest post in the history of ED posts!! Hope you are right!

Quaoarsking
05-04-2024, 04:46 PM
At this point, I was probably TOO PESSIMISTIC in the OP, not optimistic at all!

Commercecomet24
05-04-2024, 05:26 PM
At this point, I was probably TOO PESSIMISTIC in the OP, not optimistic at all!

I'm right there with ya. I predicted this team would be good, 35-36 wins and about 14-15
Sec wins but this team may turn out to be way ahead of that mark if they continue playing this way.

CaptainObvious
05-04-2024, 07:17 PM
I expect nothing less than a NC! Or FIRE LEMONIS!