PDA

View Full Version : We need to change name of Starkville to STARKVEGAS!!!

woof
04-21-2024, 06:26 PM
F*** it, lets do it!!! We need to follow with the times of NIL, transfer portal & spice things up if we can. Yes, I like the Small Town marketing stuff we currently have going but if we really want to move the needle, start with a name change: Starkvegas!

Hell, I graduated 10 years ago and most of my friends referred to it as Starkvegas anyway, lol. Why not just go ahead and make it official?

We're changing the damn helmet to STATE cursive Script (instead of interlocking MSU my personal favorite), we've got a high-energy AD now with some good ideas, why not appeal to the blue hairs in charge of City of Starkville and request a name change?

It could/might become a slightly cool, niche, recruiting advantage and we need all the damn help we can get in that area. Hell, ESPN & SEC Network ppl call it Starkvegas right now anyway...

3dawgnight15
04-21-2024, 06:42 PM
Born and raised in Starkville and I?d rather call it Herpes than Starkvegas.

R2Dawg
04-21-2024, 06:53 PM
I was also born in Starkville. Nothing wrong with the name; leave it be.

There is also nothing wrong with using Starkvegas as the nickname anytime MSU is in the conversation. Actually Mississppi State has its own zip code and could change it to Mississippi State, address Starkvegas, MS Now that could happen and makes sense. But Starkville is Starkville.

Extendedcab
04-21-2024, 07:54 PM

There is also nothing wrong with using Starkvegas as the nickname anytime MSU is in the conversation. Actually Mississppi State has its own zip code and could change it to Mississippi State, address Starkvegas, MS Now that could happen and makes sense. But Starkville is Starkville.

I agree, Starkville is Starkville.

lastmajordog
04-21-2024, 08:18 PM
It’s embarrassing every time I hear starkvegas or dawgs. It’s DOGS and Starkville.......not daawwwgs or starkvegas or starkVILLE.

MaroonFlounder
04-21-2024, 08:26 PM
It’s embarrassing every time I hear starkvegas or dawgs. It’s DOGS and Starkville.......not daawwwgs or starkvegas or starkVILLE.

Everytime you hear DAWGS or DOGS sounds the same, no? Are you high? What are you arguing?

Brobi-wan
04-21-2024, 08:29 PM
I’ve never had a problem with dawgs. Then again, I’m 25

DownwardDawg
04-21-2024, 09:30 PM
I’ve never had a problem with dawgs. Then again, I’m 25

I'm 56, and it's always been Dawgs to me and the people in my life. Dogs or Dawgs is fine. It's the same.

CaptainObvious
04-21-2024, 09:53 PM
IT IS PRONOUNCED-- STARKS-VILL!

woof
04-21-2024, 11:13 PM
Born and raised in Starkville and I?d rather call it Herpes than Starkvegas.

wait, you have Herpes? lol

woof
04-21-2024, 11:31 PM
It?s embarrassing every time I hear starkvegas or dawgs. It?s DOGS and Starkville.......not daawwwgs or starkvegas or starkVILLE.

hv u seen the name at top of this website? r u hving a stroke? lol

Reunion Dog
04-22-2024, 02:36 AM
Born & Raised there and it?s pronounced

Stark-vulle. Just like the Univesity of Louisville?

Still remember when the post office at State was State College, Mississippi and the DP was the best place for cookies, ice cream and sodas. Oh to be a young kid in that campus when everyone knew everyone?. and Everyone ate at the cafeteria.

DownwardDawg
04-22-2024, 06:36 AM
IT IS PRONOUNCED-- STARKS-VILL!

Haha! Nice!!!

Lord McBuckethead
04-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Because it is a nickname. You are too young to have an opinion.

viverlibre
04-22-2024, 07:27 AM
I'm in! Starkville sounds like a place full of trailer parks and meth labs. Starkvegas sound like a happening place folks like to go for entertainment.

PMDawg
04-22-2024, 09:40 AM
F*** it, lets do it!!! We need to follow with the times of NIL, transfer portal & spice things up if we can. Yes, I like the Small Town marketing stuff we currently have going but if we really want to move the needle, start with a name change: Starkvegas!

Hell, I graduated 10 years ago and most of my friends referred to it as Starkvegas anyway, lol. Why not just go ahead and make it official?

We're changing the damn helmet to STATE cursive Script (instead of interlocking MSU my personal favorite), we've got a high-energy AD now with some good ideas, why not appeal to the blue hairs in charge of City of Starkville and request a name change?

It could/might become a slightly cool, niche, recruiting advantage and we need all the damn help we can get in that area. Hell, ESPN & SEC Network ppl call it Starkvegas right now anyway...

Tried to give you negative rep, but it seems I've done that too recently to be able to do it again.

Coursesuper
04-22-2024, 10:23 AM
Born & Raised there and it?s pronounced

Stark-vulle. Just like the Univesity of Louisville?

Still remember when the post office at State was State College, Mississippi and the DP was the best place for cookies, ice cream and sodas. Oh to be a young kid in that campus when everyone knew everyone?. and Everyone ate at the cafeteria.

Sunday after church the entire town was in there.

Coursesuper
04-22-2024, 10:25 AM

Add to list of things that are not happening.

StarkVegasSteve
04-22-2024, 10:30 AM
We do not need to change the name of the town. I get the premise of what you are saying though. We do need to be more cool and that starts with marketing yourself as a place people want to go instead of "blue collar". No one wants to go visit the blue collar places unless you're an alumni. It's why I've screamed from the rooftops for years that we need to start focusing on out of state student recruiting FAR MORE. Hell we have 3 student recruiters for the Delta and 1 for all of DFW. That's embarrassing. Same thing with Nashville, Charlotte, Atlanta, etc. We do recruit Houston decently so I know we can do it if we just apply ourselves a little. That's where a change in perception will start. Ole Miss has it figured out and unfortunately we still have yet to grasp it. The quickest and most lasting way to extend your brand is out of state student recruiting

TopDawg
04-22-2024, 10:36 AM
I?ve never had a problem with dawgs. Then again, I?m 25

I'm 76 and I have no problem with it either.

gtowndawg
04-22-2024, 11:02 AM
I've said before we need to add a big "Welcome To Starkvegas" sign to the football stadium. Just like the "Welcome to Death Valley" at LSU.

Vegas baby!

edited: the north endzone scoreboard is a giant canvas to add Starvegas, or Script State or something. Why haven't we done that? Maybe because the majority of people don't see that side of the stadium?

DawgFromOxford
04-22-2024, 11:16 AM
edited: the north endzone scoreboard is a giant canvas to add Starvegas, or Script State or something. Why haven't we done that? Maybe because the majority of people don't see that side of the stadium?

I've wondered this as well. It's basically a blank billboard that's been there for 10 years now. No clue why it's never been utilized. Plenty of people park on that side of the stadium and visit that side of campus during Basketball and Baseball games

Maroonthirteen
04-22-2024, 12:41 PM
In conjunction with the &tate logo, the town is being re-named Fansville.

gtowndawg
04-22-2024, 02:05 PM
I've wondered this as well. It's basically a blank billboard that's been there for 10 years now. No clue why it's never been utilized. Plenty of people park on that side of the stadium and visit that side of campus during Basketball and Baseball games

Good point. Still alot of basketball and baseball fans that would see it, plus football.

DawgFromOxford
04-22-2024, 02:52 PM
In conjunction with the &tate logo, the town is being re-named Fansville.

If it brings Dr. Pepper NIL then lets do it

MedDawg
04-22-2024, 03:10 PM
State has used Dawgs (and Dogs) since before I started as a student in 1981. We also called it Starkvegas back then.

That and Starkpatch. Like Dogpatch in an old cartoon.

TaleofTwoDogs
04-22-2024, 06:34 PM

There is also nothing wrong with using Starkvegas as the nickname anytime MSU is in the conversation. Actually Mississippi State has its own zip code and could change it to Mississippi State, address Starkvegas, MS Now that could happen and makes sense. But Starkville is Starkville.

It was State College, MS at one time so there is some precedence for updating to change with the times. Starkvegas, Ms might be cool for the students.

CaptainObvious
04-22-2024, 09:17 PM
I thought Rob Jay, former sportscaster at WLBT-3 in Jackson, coined the nickname Starkvegas!

Bothrops
04-22-2024, 11:13 PM
There is also a Starkville, Colorado and a Starkville, New York.