PDA

View Full Version : latest bracketology has State as a 2 seed (4/16)

Coach34
04-17-2024, 02:36 PM
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/22723

11 SEC teams projected in the field as of now- including Mississippi

Goldendawg
04-17-2024, 02:45 PM
Need to finish strong. Maybe PIco is about well and can provide a needed missing piece for the second half of season. Maybe Cupp can be back and a positive contributor also. Dohm????

Goldendawg
04-17-2024, 02:48 PM
https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/22723

11 SEC teams projected in the field as of now- including Mississippi

OM RPI is 28. Ours 57 after Alcorn win. Alcorn is #302 of 305 in RPI. OM cancelled their game with AR State. Playing Alcorn dropped us 8 spots. As you have pointed out, we must finish strong in last SEC games .500 or maybe even better. Hail State!

StarkVegasSteve
04-17-2024, 02:52 PM
Need to finish strong. Maybe PIco is about well and can provide a needed missing piece for the second half of season. Maybe Cupp can be back and a positive contributor also. Dohm????

Dohm is done. It may not be reported but he is done for the year. Our season....and Lemonis' future.....comes down to one thing. CAN WE FIND A CLOSER.

DAWG1903
04-17-2024, 03:03 PM
Dohm is done. It may not be reported but he is done for the year. Our season....and Lemonis' future.....comes down to one thing. CAN WE FIND A CLOSER.

I think you are correct about Dohm and I hate it for him and the team.

We haven?t found a Closer in three years and with two pitching coaches, so the odds are not in our favor. I do think Parker is a good coach and the pitching is better, but we haven?t had a closer since Landon.

StarkVegasSteve
04-17-2024, 03:06 PM
I think you are correct about Dohm and I hate it for him and the team.

We haven?t found a Closer in three years and with two pitching coaches, so the odds are not in our favor. I do think Parker is a good coach and the pitching is better, but we haven?t had a closer since Landon.

Well and that's the thing. I think we are still trying to find the next Landon instead of just finding a guy with good velocity and a good breaking ball and conditioning him to close. Landon Sims type players come along once in a generation. Even Holder and Papelbon, who were both great, blew saves for us. If the ball got into Landon's hands, the game was over.

EdwardDrayton
04-17-2024, 03:11 PM

^^^^^^^

MStateDawg
04-17-2024, 03:57 PM
Maybe PIco is about well and can provide a needed missing piece for the second half of season.

Pico looked damned good last night. We could certainly use a reliable left for in the bullpens for the weekends.

SaintDawg
04-17-2024, 04:12 PM
Remember back in ‘18 when we had pitching woes and Cole Gordon came out of nowhere and filled the bill of closer? May need to try that idea again.

SPMT
04-17-2024, 04:20 PM
Remember back in ?18 when we had pitching woes and Cole Gordon came out of nowhere and filled the bill of closer? May need to try that idea again.

Seems like that?s pretty common with many.

Hell, seems like Bednar wasn?t anything special until mid year. OM seemed to be like that in 2022

StarkVegasSteve
04-17-2024, 04:23 PM
Remember back in ‘18 when we had pitching woes and Cole Gordon came out of nowhere and filled the bill of closer? May need to try that idea again.

Cole really wasn't our closer in 18. He was more middle relief who could close. People forget Cole was actually terrible for a lot of that 18 season. Blew a bunch of games and got SHELLED against Oklahoma in the Friday game of that regional. Then we had to use him for middle relief against Oklahoma on the Sunday game of the regional because Denver got hit in the palm of his throwing hand and then put out a big fire against Vandy in Game 3. He didn't become closer until 19.

StarkVegasSteve
04-17-2024, 04:24 PM
Seems like that?s pretty common with many.

Hell, seems like Bednar wasn?t anything special until mid year. OM seemed to be like that in 2022

Bednar was up and down. He would look really good for two or three starts and then look awful for a start. Was just average in the tournament until the CWS.

KOdawg1
04-17-2024, 04:30 PM
Gonna have to be 15-15 to get in with our RPI. Might could sneak in with 14-16.

Gotta find 8 wins. Getting 3 of them this weekend would be huge, but this team isn't consistent enough to do that

Cooterpoot
04-17-2024, 04:42 PM
Pico looked damned good last night. We could certainly use a reliable left for in the bullpens for the weekends.

So did Holcomb, it was a two win team from the SWAC

Coach34
04-17-2024, 05:47 PM

Yeah but it was the way he had command and located. Holcombe was ok but didn’t have the crispness Pico showed.

msudawg1200
04-17-2024, 06:47 PM
That's a 3 seed bro

BeardoMSU
04-17-2024, 07:07 PM

This^^^...unfortunately. it was Alcorn, fellas.

I'm a fan of Pico, and definitely think he's got the potential, tho.

CaptainObvious
04-17-2024, 07:29 PM
Don't forget the Elephant in the Dugout!🐘🐘🦣🦣

BeardoMSU
04-17-2024, 07:42 PM
Until Lunardi's bracket is released, we won't really know***

smootness
04-17-2024, 07:45 PM
That's a 3 seed bro

Yup. Which would be fine, but should not bring Lemonis back.

confucius say
04-17-2024, 07:50 PM
This^^^...unfortunately. it was Alcorn, fellas.

I'm a fan of Pico, and definitely think he's got the potential, tho.

Are you saying he knew alcorn sucked which allowed him to be more confident and in turn command the zone at 93-95 with good offspeed? Otherwise, I'm not sure what the opponent had to do with his stuff and command.

BeardoMSU
04-17-2024, 08:20 PM
Are you saying he knew alcorn sucked which allowed him to be more confident and in turn command the zone at 93-95 with good offspeed? Otherwise, I'm not sure what the opponent had to do with his stuff and command.

I'm saying I buy into Pico's performance much more than Colby's, and i think it can translate to him being an important player for us going forward...but...it was still Alcorn.

I'm not speaking in tongues here, lol.

Santiago
04-18-2024, 08:30 AM
We have Auburn and Missouri weekends to help us with wins, if we can get them.
Then we have Vandy, Alabama, Arkansas.

Assuming we need at least 8 wins out of these 15 games, and maybe an SEC opening round win also?

Dawgology
04-18-2024, 12:44 PM
There?s one thing I know for sure. If that?s the predicted outcome for this season this team will fall well short of it. That seems to be there thing. Aim low.

msstate7
04-18-2024, 01:27 PM
We have Auburn and Missouri weekends to help us with wins, if we can get them.
Then we have Vandy, Alabama, Arkansas.

Assuming we need at least 8 wins out of these 15 games, and maybe an SEC opening round win also?

Sweep one of Auburn and mizzou/2 from other, and get 1 from the others equals 8. That's a realistic goal.

StarkVegasSteve
04-18-2024, 01:46 PM
Sweep one of Auburn and mizzou/2 from other, and get 1 from the others equals 8. That's a realistic goal.

It's not out of the realm of possibility to get 7-8 wins between Auburn, Missouri, and Bama. There is 1 SEC road win between that group and it was by Missouri over Georgia. 8 would put us at no worse than .500 in league play even if we get swept at Vandy and at Arkansas.

Coach34
04-18-2024, 02:24 PM

Other than UPig- I like our chances every Friday. Candy has had some pitching issues. Gave up 19 runs to LSU and 36 to A&M last 2 weekends

Todd4State
04-19-2024, 12:49 AM
I've never heard of that site so I have no idea how reliable they are.

I think we can get in probably as a three seed. Because for us to become a 2 seed we're going to have to get hot and probably will have to win the Arkansas series on the road. That's probably best case scenario.

If you asked me to project what happens I think we probably finish around 14-16 to 15-15 with a RPI in the high 30's or 40's and end up on the bubble. I think it could go either way for us if that happens. This team keeps putting itself in a position to make a run and then they screw it up. Maybe the laws average out and we go on a run but I just don't have a lot of confidence in that happening with this group. It's constant mismanagement, injuries, weirdness, and a lack of focus. The only good news is we have two OOC games left so that minimizes our chances of screwing up. I'm assuming we won't play North Alabama as we have had them on the schedule and cancelled them several years in a row now.

Todd4State
04-19-2024, 12:55 AM

Why not use Pico as a starting pitcher? We do have Tyler Davis who is usually good.

Well and that's the thing. I think we are still trying to find the next Landon instead of just finding a guy with good velocity and a good breaking ball and conditioning him to close. Landon Sims type players come along once in a generation. Even Holder and Papelbon, who were both great, blew saves for us. If the ball got into Landon's hands, the game was over.

I think the staff was relying on Stone Simmons to come back too much and didn't take the precaution to get another Aaron Nixon out of the portal.

The thing is though- you have Tyson Hardin right there and he still hasn't gotten an opportunity. And why has Nolan Stevens been allowed to fail multiple times but Auger blows a save against South Alabama where he didn't have his slider and now he's middle relief?

This staff does things to themselves that don't make sense and our fanbase is too knowledgeable to let stuff like that slide.

Todd4State
04-19-2024, 12:58 AM

I'm saying I buy into Pico's performance much more than Colby's, and i think it can translate to him being an important player for us going forward...but...it was still Alcorn.

I'm not speaking in tongues here, lol.

He was crisp. And I think he can help in SEC play. But to me- since it was Alcorn why not just let Pico start against Memphis and see how he looks? Memphis is clearly better and it will be on the road but there will be a decent crowd there if I had to guess. so it seems like a good test. Plus we might be able to stretch him out to 4 maybe even 5 innings.

Santiago
04-19-2024, 06:33 AM
Other than UPig- I like our chances every Friday. Candy has had some pitching issues. Gave up 19 runs to LSU and 36 to A&M last 2 weekends

I hope we can take a game or two from Vandy, but they did just beat Floriday Thursday night, scoring 10 runs themselves.
As much as we might be hoping a couple of pitchers work out for us for Sunday and closers, I think Vandy actually has the talented arms to quickly figure out things too.

basedog
04-19-2024, 07:51 AM
I hope we can take a game or two from Vandy, but they did just beat Floriday Thursday night, scoring 10 runs themselves.
As much as we might be hoping a couple of pitchers work out for us for Sunday and closers, I think Vandy actually has the talented arms to quickly figure out things too.

Ky is 7-0 at home against Sec teams, 2-7 on road Sec games.

Pancho
04-19-2024, 08:52 AM
a 7-8 record or worse in the remaining conference games and we are coach searching anyways.

Santiago
04-19-2024, 10:42 AM
Ky is 7-0 at home against Sec teams, 2-7 on road Sec games.

ok. I was posting about Vandy.
Or, was your stat for Vandy?

basedog
04-19-2024, 11:21 AM
ok. I was posting about Vandy.
Or, was your stat for Vandy?

My bad, it was for Vandy.

Commercecomet24
04-19-2024, 11:45 AM
My bad, it was for Vandy.

Brain fart, you're getting old, Dog! lol!

basedog
04-19-2024, 01:37 PM
Brain fart, you're getting old, Dog! lol!

No doubt, 73 years old but try to stay active. Btw, I haven't forgot about you and a game. I just hope we keep winning, I don't think you want to hear me talk about......LOL

Btw, i read time after time 'Youngsters" complain and blame blue hairs for everything from not attending games but buying tickets, sitting and not standing and cheering, blaming nothing to do in Small Town Starkvegas as well as everything else regarding Msu. One day many will be old and understand better. LOL.

Commercecomet24
04-19-2024, 02:31 PM
No doubt, 73 years old but try to stay active. Btw, I haven't forgot about you and a game. I just hope we keep winning, I don't think you want to hear me talk about......LOL

Btw, i read time after time 'Youngsters" complain and blame blue hairs for everything from not attending games but buying tickets, sitting and not standing and cheering, blaming nothing to do in Small Town Starkvegas as well as everything else regarding Msu. One day many will be old and understand better. LOL.

Amen to that, my friend!