PDA

View Full Version : Not ranked in baseball America or d1

msstate7
04-15-2024, 09:31 AM
Without that number by our name and #49 in rpi, I don't see much of an argument for postseason play.

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Realistically you have to go 6-3 in your next 9 SEC games. If that seems impossible it is because it basically is with what we currently put out on the field.

DownwardDawg
04-15-2024, 10:00 AM
We aren't very good, but we could still sneak into the tournament. We've lost a ton of games that could have gone either way. I actually thought we were about to go on a run, but obviously that didn't happen. We just might find a way to win enough to be a bubble team then win a couple in the SEC tournament.

Regardless, barring a miracle deep run into postseason, it's time for a change.

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2024, 10:14 AM
We aren't very good, but we could still sneak into the tournament. We've lost a ton of games that could have gone either way. I actually thought we were about to go on a run, but obviously that didn't happen. We just might find a way to win enough to be a bubble team then win a couple in the SEC tournament.

I think it is time for a change regardless. We need a new voice. Lemonis tenure has run its course.

Dawgology
04-15-2024, 10:15 AM
I’m sure we will put off announcing a head coach search and letting him go. We will let it linger on until the baseball program is a smoldering ruin and then decide to do something for the cheap in true Mississippi State fashion.

Activated Alpha
04-15-2024, 10:34 AM

Have you seen us play in the SEC tournament with Lemonis? I have just as much faith for us to win an SEC tournament game as I do a wet fart in church on Easter Sunday

DownwardDawg
04-15-2024, 10:40 AM
I’m sure we will put off announcing a head coach search and letting him go. We will let it linger on until the baseball program is a smoldering ruin and then decide to do something for the cheap in true Mississippi State fashion.

I don't think that fits Selmons personally. We will see though.

PMDawg
04-15-2024, 10:50 AM
We don't deserve to be ranked. Realistically, we had a great chance to win each and every SEC series we have played so far, but we've found a way to lose 3 of them.

MaroonFlounder
04-15-2024, 11:35 AM
Good.

Rankings are a curse for every major MSU sport except the Vic Shaeffer led WBB years.

Pancho
04-15-2024, 12:03 PM
few more weekend performances like the past one and the RPI will be in the 60's anyways

Coach34
04-15-2024, 01:51 PM
Without that number by our name and #49 in rpi, I don't see much of an argument for postseason play.

What time do they announce the bracket today on who made the NCAA Tourney?

PMDawg
04-15-2024, 02:00 PM

What time did they announce it last month when you were beating your chest over the LSU series win?

msstate7
04-15-2024, 02:02 PM

Sure, they can suddenly become a new team, but as of now, they aren't a tourney team. Not sure that's controversial.

Coach34
04-15-2024, 02:03 PM
What time did they announce it last month when you were beating your chest over the LSU series win?

Sweep Auburn and we are back to 10-8 and right no path. Even 2/3 puts us 9-9 and still on path to make the Tourney. I hate we lost the series but we were in control of it until the B8th of G2.

Nothing's changed. Got to take the home series and hopefully get a shot to sweep

Coach34
04-15-2024, 02:04 PM
Sure, they can suddenly become a new team, but as of now, they aren't a tourney team. Not sure that's controversial.

If the bracket came out today- State would 100% be in

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2024, 02:05 PM
Here is the other thing, even if they are a tournament team is Lemonis back next year? I just do not see it.

msstate7
04-15-2024, 02:06 PM
If the bracket came out today- State would 100% be in

Idk, maybe. The only thing on our resume that looked tourney worthy was a winning sec record and being ranked. Now both of those are gone, and our rpi is even lower. I will admit to not knowing a whole lot about baseball tourney selection, so perhaps someone could give me an example of a team in our spot that made it.

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-15-2024, 02:08 PM

My word I thought you'd still be racking your brain try I g to think of ways to say you were wrong on this team, I didn't think you'd double down on "there's still a chance!" Lol. But fair enough I guess, there's certainly still a possibility we get into a regional. We won't be in the host conversation as you've been saying, but we might make a regional.

But again, the "standard" is higher than "barely make a regional". It should be "be a top 15ish team and in the host discussion". He has epically failed that the past 2 seasons. If he even slightly fails this season, he should be gone.

msstate7
04-15-2024, 02:09 PM
Here is the other thing, even if they are a tournament team is Lemonis back next year? I just do not see it.

I say no way he's gone if he makes tourney

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2024, 02:13 PM

That is scary then. Because it is entirely possible he makes the tourney. I mean we were legitimately two more wins against A&M and probably one in Hoover from being last year. And we led one of those A&M games in the 9th. This team is considerably better than that team. If you wanted him fired Saturday then why would you not still want him fired then.

Coach34
04-15-2024, 02:14 PM
Idk, maybe. The only thing on our resume that looked tourney worthy was a winning sec record and being ranked. Now both of those are gone, and our rpi is even lower. I will admit to not knowing a whole lot about baseball tourney selection, so perhaps someone could give me an example of a team in our spot that made it.

https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2024/rpi-predict-teamsheets

Even Warren Nolan has us projected to 16-14 in the SEC. 14 SEC wins gets us in. Will we host? No those hopes likely sank Saturday night. But good lord we are very much in the Tourney right now.

msstate7
04-15-2024, 02:15 PM
That is scary then. Because it is entirely possible he makes the tourney. I mean we were legitimately two more wins against A&M and probably one in Hoover from being last year. And we led one of those A&M games in the 9th. This team is considerably better than that team. If you wanted him fired Saturday then why would you not still want him fired then.

Just so you know, I have absolutely nothing to base my opinion on other that a hunch

ZedFedder
04-15-2024, 02:33 PM
it?s going to have to be a miraculous turnaround for Lemonis to make it.

Coach34
04-15-2024, 02:37 PM
it?s going to have to be a miraculous turnaround for Lemonis to make it.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-ncaa-baseball-tournament-bracket-projected-field-of-64-april-10/

These posts kill me. Just 5 days ago we were projected comfortably in as a 2 seed. We have the worst team in the SEC coming in this weekend.

This team is going to make the NCAA Tourney unless it just implodes down the stretch

DawgFromOxford
04-15-2024, 04:23 PM
Yes the path is still there to making the tournament, but we went from a position of looking to be squarely in the tournament to now our backs are against the wall and can't afford any more slip ups because we blew a series at FL and OM. This is the year for Lemonis to prove he still deserves to be the guy in charge and instead he's flirting with not even making the tournament for 3 years in a row.

I hope we win every game the rest of the season, but I'm not going to hold my breath. We are who we are at this point.

Dawgface
04-15-2024, 04:53 PM
https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-ncaa-baseball-tournament-bracket-projected-field-of-64-april-10/

This team is going to make the NCAA Tourney unless it just implodes down the stretch

Well it started this past weekend.

Quaoarsking
04-15-2024, 05:21 PM
Before the season I said Lemonis needs to go unless we host, or we barely miss hosting.

During the season I graciously amended it to that we needed to be perceived as a top 25 team for Lemonis to stay.

I highly doubt he makes either metric at this point. I, like almost all of our fans, am ready to move on. Barring a surprise run to Omaha (which is where this team should be by talent), we need to make the change this offseason.

State82
04-15-2024, 05:36 PM
I would venture to guess it is 99 percent certain he stays if he makes a regional. Maybe higher.

maroonmania
04-15-2024, 06:02 PM
We aren't very good, but we could still sneak into the tournament. We've lost almost all our games that could have gone either way. I actually thought we were about to go on a run, but obviously that didn't happen. We just might find a way to win enough to be a bubble team then win a couple in the SEC tournament.

FIFY

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-15-2024, 06:09 PM
This is why we should have fired Lemo last year.

He missed HOOVER in year 4 and 5. To keep him is to say "we're giving you a chance to improve", which means if he does "improve" but is still not up to State standards, how do you fire him? You'd look less reasonable firing a guy after making a regional in year 6 vs firing a guy after missing Hoover again in year 5. The same coward that didn't pull the trigger last May will have to pull the trigger this May.

And note that Coach34 is trying to change the "goal" or "standard" if you will, into sweeping into a tourney. That is not the standard. That's fine in down years, but barely making a tourney is not a "success" unless we go on a run from there. We objectively have top 15 facilities/pay/fan support/history/nil and there's no reason to accept being say the the 38th best at large team as a "success".

CaptainObvious
04-15-2024, 07:51 PM
Let's wait and see if State can squeak by Alcorn tomorrow night before we crown them with a 3 Seed in Clemson's Regional.

basedog
04-15-2024, 07:51 PM
Big series against lowly Auburn team. I like our chances winning two, but I thought like that last weekend. We better bring the bats, limit walks and play defense like we can.

Activated Alpha
04-15-2024, 08:11 PM
Look, I am a believer that once you get into the post season, anybody could win it all. Look at OM 2 years ago. Hell look at us at the Tallahassee regional years back. We were a 2 seed back in 2017 in Hattiesburg so we have competed and done well without us hosting. Does it suck not to host? Hell yes!! We can make some noise even as a low seed, but this team is going to need to change a bunch of things in order for that to happen. I personally don't see it, but it could happen

PGHBulldogBG
04-15-2024, 08:24 PM
I didn’t predict us to win any road series this year because we don’t have the formula to do that, so I am not surprised we lost last weekend. We need to sweep this weekend because this is the only series I think we have a decent shot to do it being that Auburn is having a lot of problems this year. If we can sweep this weekend, win 2 out of 3 in the other 2 home series we will end 14-16. We need to beat Ole Miss in Jackson and then win one or two in the SEC tournament and if we do that I think we get in as a 3 seed. The problem is if we don’t do those things we are out unless we steal a game @vandy which is going to be really tough

Coach34
04-15-2024, 08:30 PM
I didn’t predict us to win any road series this year because we don’t have the formula to do that, so I am not surprised we lost last weekend. We need to sweep this weekend because this is the only series I think we have a decent shot to do it being that Auburn is having a lot of problems this year. If we can sweep this weekend, win 2 out of 3 in the other 2 home series we will end 14-16. We need to beat Ole Miss in Jackson and then win one or two in the SEC tournament and if we do that I think we get in as a 3 seed. The problem is if we don’t do those things we are out unless we steal a game @vandy which is going to be really tough

Candy is 1 game better than us in the SEC at 8-7. Thinking they will sweep us is a little doomsday at this point

msstate7
04-15-2024, 08:39 PM
Candy is 1 game better than us in the SEC at 8-7. Thinking they will sweep us is a little doomsday at this point

They're 6-0 vs sec teams at home

Coach34
04-15-2024, 09:02 PM
They're 6-0 vs sec teams at home

and 2-7 on the road. But let's also point out those 2 teams at home were Auburn and Mizzou. Cmom Mane

msstate7
04-15-2024, 09:07 PM
and 2-7 on the road. But let's also point out those 2 teams at home were Auburn and Mizzou. Cmom Mane

Let's see if we can match them vs those 2 teams at home.

Coach34
04-15-2024, 09:28 PM
Let's see if we can match them vs those 2 teams at home.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we exceed what Mizzou and Auburn did

CaptainObvious
04-15-2024, 11:19 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we exceed what Mizzou and Auburn did

Don't look behind you. Lemonis is on a Ladder with Chain Saw in hand!

ScooterDog
04-17-2024, 08:14 PM
For me, the real question is whether Auburn has gotten better or worse. I think Auby will determine our fate much more than our on the field play.

basedog
04-17-2024, 09:11 PM
For me, the real question is whether Auburn has gotten better or worse. I think Auby will determine our fate much more than our on the field play.

We should win two, I think we will, they are 2-13. Btw, LSU is 3-12 Ole Dixie and Missouri are 5-10.

Coach34
04-17-2024, 09:17 PM
We should win two, I think we will, they are 2-13. Btw, LSU is 3-12 Ole Dixie and Missouri are 5-10.

agree- getting a Sweep would be huge for us. 2/3? We're ok and on the path. Lose the series? Lemon is done and we will be looking for our next coach

basedog
04-17-2024, 10:02 PM
agree- getting a Sweep would be huge for us. 2/3? We're ok and on the path. Lose the series? Lemon is done and we will be looking for our next coach

Must win no doubt for this series to win. Actually we could win all three. They are bad but with this being Bulldog Weekend, I have seen some disappointing Saturday at the Dude. I was wanted to go to the game Saturday but it’s my youngest daughter’s birthday.
Wonder if Cohen attends. Naw.

State82
04-18-2024, 09:18 AM
They are bad but with this being Bulldog Weekend, I have seen some disappointing Saturday at the Dude..

Yep. Our history on Saturdays of SBW has not been stellar over the years.

StarkVegasSteve
04-18-2024, 09:27 AM
Yep. Our history on Saturdays of SBW has not been stellar over the years.

We went through a stretch from like 2014-2018 where we didn't win a SBW weekend series. We have had a little more success in recent years but it was rough there for a while.