PDA

View Full Version : Head Coaching Hot Board

StarkVegasSteve
04-14-2024, 03:59 PM
We fired it up last year and had it in full swing but got derailed because Lemonhead lucked into a series win at Alex Box. Should be no saving him this time.

1. Justin Haire- HC at Campbell. Not having a great year, by their standards, this year but 5 regionals in 6 years (missed 2020 because of COVID). He would be my first call.

2. Chris Pollard- HC at Duke. Actually has his masters from Mississippi State so he is an alumni as well. Never played here though. Has Duke rolling this year and has made 3 Supers in 5 years at Duke. Was solid at App State before that.

3. Tom Walter- HC at Wake Forest. Built an absolute monster at Wake and if he brought Muscara with him he might supplant Haire as my number 1 choice. Also knows how to use the portal well.

4. Nick Mingione- Needs no intro. We know all about him. Has steadily built Kentucky into a steady program and they are having a great year.

5. Butch Thompson- Same as Mingione but more success.

6. Dan Heefner- HC at DBU. He will not leave DBU and I honestly am not sold on him. I think he has to be at the right program and I do not think we are that.

7. Elliot Avent- HC at NC State and has long coveted our job. Age may be an issue with him.

8. Nate Thompson- Hitting coach and recruiting coordinator at Arkansas. If we are to go the asst route, and I do not believe we should, this needs to be the only guy we contact. Has been with DVH for a long time and we know all too well how well Arkansas hits the baseball.

StarkVegasSteve
04-14-2024, 04:01 PM
Also, no I did not add Vitello because he is not coming. Same for Link Jarrett, Tim Corbin, Tim Tadlock, Dan McDonnell, or whatever other pipe dream candidates people throw out there. We had our chance to hire Vitello in 18 and did not even interview him.

DAWG1903
04-14-2024, 04:02 PM
Yep! We cannot turn back around after looking incompetent again this year. I believe our AD will do his job.

DAWG1903
04-14-2024, 04:05 PM
We also don?t need to hire the nicest guy we can find and if that person has some baggage, then that is fine too. We need the best baseball coach we can get, period.

StarkVegasSteve
04-14-2024, 04:07 PM
We also don?t need to hire the nicest guy we can find and if that person has some baggage, then that is fine too. We need the best baseball coach we can get, period.

Most baseball coaches do not have baggage like football and basketball. And outside of Vitello there are not many controversial head coaches, and since we are not hiring him it really will not matter.

No BS Dawg
I would take almost anyone at this point if it meant Lemonis got his walking papers. Of the list you have though, any of the top three would be acceptable and I wouldn?t mind a look at Mingione. The rest should be considered if the others flat turned us down.

BankerDog
Go ahead and remove Thompson from the list. We can and should do better. However there will be a lot of guys from Cohen?s early years pulling for him to get job much like there were some in Raffo?s camp.

War Machine Dawg
04-14-2024, 04:09 PM
Unpopular opinion, but we're still projected to make a regional. If we make it, Lemonis is staying.

Ranchdawg
04-14-2024, 04:10 PM
And a coach that?s not afraid to get in a players face chew on him like a pit bull. We talk about Polk II well this is Lemonis III.

KOdawg1
04-14-2024, 04:13 PM
Chris Pollard is my #1.

I would love Haire, but his conference level of play would concern me.

Pollard has had success in the ACC which is a good baseball conference. He also has a master's from MSU, albeit probably all online

Randolph Dupree
04-14-2024, 04:14 PM
Still a lot of baseball left but if we're getting out over our skis, I'm good with that list but not a fan of Mingione. Other than that it's a good list.
And to supplement your we won't get him list, I like the dude at TCU a lot and would love for him to come here. That's a long shot at best though so no sense getting my hopes up.

StarkVegasSteve
04-14-2024, 04:17 PM
Still a lot of baseball left but if we're getting out over our skis, I'm good with that list but not a fan of Mingione. Other than that it's a good list.
And to supplement your we won't get him list, I like the dude at TCU a lot and would love for him to come here. That's a long shot at best though so no sense getting my hopes up.

Sarloos would be an interesting hire. No clue how much they are paying but to pull a power conference guy like that we would probably have to overpay.

StarkVegasSteve
04-14-2024, 04:18 PM
Unpopular opinion, but we're still projected to make a regional. If we make it, Lemonis is staying.

Definitely a distinct possibility. Some would see it as a slap in the face, but I do not know how Selmon operates. I suspect that he views football and basketball far more important than baseball.

BankerDog
04-14-2024, 04:20 PM

After the way our fans have reacted towards Johnny Long probably don?t want someone with fire that cusses.

Quaoarsking
04-14-2024, 04:20 PM

I wouldn't bet on that. To save his job, he either needs to be a host or high 2, or else have a run to Omaha.

Saltydog
04-14-2024, 04:24 PM
Whoever is projecting that hasn't looked at our schedule. We'll go 0-6 between Vandy and Upig. We will at best win 2 in the Mizzou, Bama and Auburn series. That puts us at 13 SEC wins. That won't get us into a regional with our RPI.

Dawgface
04-14-2024, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't bet on that. To save his job, he either needs to be a host or high 2, or else have a run to Omaha.
None of that’s happening.

Commercecomet24
04-14-2024, 04:27 PM
After the way our fans have reacted towards Johnny Long probably don?t want someone with fire that cusses.

This!

Saltydog
04-14-2024, 04:32 PM
Nobody bitching about his fire. People have and arguably so questioned his stupidity. He's hurt his team two straight weekends with stupid bullshit.

ZedFedder
04-14-2024, 04:36 PM
Johnny Long brings fire and I like it, but fire not under control turns into damage.

CaptainObvious
04-14-2024, 04:36 PM
Lemonis needs to be gone tonight! Polk and Powell could get more out of these mediocre ball players. As bad as ole miss is, they are better than State because of 1 person! Head Coach!

Commercecomet24
04-14-2024, 04:38 PM
Nobody bitching about his fire. People have and arguably so questioned his stupidity. He's hurt his team two straight weekends with stupid bullshit.

Last week yes, last night, no. What he did last night happens every day at every level.

civildawg
04-14-2024, 04:45 PM
Pollard is the #1 on my list

DAWG1903
04-14-2024, 05:28 PM

This is one part of what I was referring to in my post above about the nicest guy in the room. A bunch of fans wanted to fire Cohen his first two years because of his ?get in your face attitude!?

But in this world of college athletics, it is a cut throat business and we always want to be considered the nice guy.

StarkVegasSteve
04-14-2024, 05:44 PM

And we can get him. We need to be realistic this time around. We are a very attractive job in the college baseball space, but you are not going to get someone to leave a CWS type program to come be the HC. Just like Kentucky could not get Dan Hurley or Scott Drew we will not get Tony Vitello or Tim Tadlock.

ScooterDog
04-14-2024, 08:49 PM
I like your list SV Steve, and I think most will agree with you. But for me, I would go no further than your no. 1, 2, and 3. Any of those 3 would please most all of us I think.

MoreCowbell
04-14-2024, 09:04 PM
Pollard would be my choice

dawgday166
04-14-2024, 09:06 PM

Will Clark had fire and cussed but I never saw him stand over someone who had slid back into 1st and knee them a couple of times while their trying to get up. That was being a punk.

I also never saw Will throw his bat a mile in the air after hitting his only HR this far into the season while he's only batting .250 either. I really wasn't bothered too much by last night tho, just thought for such an average player he might wanna rein it in some. It would be nice if he could throw someone out at 2nd too.

MoreCowbell
04-14-2024, 09:07 PM
Baseball is a lot different than other college sports. Doubt we could pull a sitting SEC head coach in 2024. Mingione has it made and Butch is Auburns Polk

MoreCowbell
04-14-2024, 09:09 PM
Also, no I did not add Vitello because he is not coming. Same for Link Jarrett, Tim Corbin, Tim Tadlock, Dan McDonnell, or whatever other pipe dream candidates people throw out there. We had our chance to hire Vitello in 18 and did not even interview him.

Butch and Mingione not leaving either

MoreCowbell
04-14-2024, 09:12 PM

There is having fire- which I am all for, then there is showing your ass in back to back weekends looking like a fool not backing up that shit talking. Its cool if you can back it up.

civildawg
04-14-2024, 09:14 PM

Thank goodness.

Todd4State
04-14-2024, 09:37 PM

Do we really want them? Butch might bring back Foxhall for Heaven's sakes and they are having an awful season. Mingione has a history of sputtering out at the end after white hot starts. Get used to playing St. Mary's a LOT if we hire him OOC.

I really like his staff make up. He has some assistants with MLB scouting experience. That was the biggest draw with Cann. But with Pollard he's proven as a head coach and so very little risk of schenanigans.

HoopsDawg
04-14-2024, 09:38 PM
Do we really want them? Butch might bring back Foxhall for Heaven's sakes and they are having an awful season. Mingione has a history of sputtering out at the end after white hot starts. Get used to playing St. Mary's a LOT if we hire him OOC.

I really like his staff make up. He has some assistants with MLB scouting experience. That was the biggest draw with Cann. But with Pollard he's proven as a head coach and so very little risk of schenanigans.

Id rather keep lemon over Pollard

DawgFromOxford
04-14-2024, 09:47 PM
Give me Haire or Pollard.

Not sold on Walter. He?s been at WF for 15 years and wasn?t overly impressive until Muscara got there meaning the minute Muscara leaves it?s back to average. 4 regionals advanced to the supers twice in 14 years. 2 of those regionals and 1 of those advances coming during Muscaras tenure

TNDawg35
04-15-2024, 01:16 AM
I still say you throw a blank check at Vitello. Make him tel you no a couple times. Then you go hire Haire.

Todd4State
04-15-2024, 01:54 AM

I'm curious as to why that is?

KOdawg1
04-15-2024, 06:26 AM
Lol that's silly

CaptainObvious
04-15-2024, 07:20 AM
Maybe Selmon will guarantee us it will be someone who has taken his team to Omaha multiple times.😎

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2024, 08:26 AM
I like your list SV Steve, and I think most will agree with you. But for me, I would go no further than your no. 1, 2, and 3. Any of those 3 would please most all of us I think.

I do not think it gets past 1 on my list. There is a reason Haire did not take the Bama job last year or the jobs he was offered after 22. He has been waiting for our job to open. We had boosters reaching out last year to gauge his interest before the LSU series.

BankerDog
04-15-2024, 10:06 AM
Will Clark had fire and cussed but I never saw him stand over someone who had slid back into 1st and knee them a couple of times while their trying to get up. That was being a punk.

I also never saw Will throw his bat a mile in the air after hitting his only HR this far into the season while he's only batting .250 either. I really wasn't bothered too much by last night tho, just thought for such an average player he might wanna rein it in some. It would be nice if he could throw someone out at 2nd too.

Were you that pissed when Mac hit his HR against Stanford and pimped it like he did? Or how about with LoTan would blow kisses or wave after throwing someone out? Or did you not care because we were winning and it looked cool?

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2024, 10:15 AM
Were you that pissed when Mac hit his HR against Stanford and pimped it like he did? Or how about with LoTan would blow kisses or wave after throwing someone out? Or did you not care because we were winning and it looked cool?

I think you know the answer to this. Weird how it is passion when you are winning but it is trashy when you are losing.

DownwardDawg
04-15-2024, 11:12 AM

I'll never forget Mac's home run against Stanford. I still watch the YouTube video all the time. It was beautiful.

Commercecomet24
04-15-2024, 11:15 AM
I think you know the answer to this. Weird how it is passion when you are winning but it is trashy when you are losing.

This. Very weird indeed.

TNDawg35
04-15-2024, 11:21 AM
I wish we had a whole damn team full of Longs! I want that swag back. Right now, we look like a bunch of 90 year old men playing baseball…

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2024, 11:42 AM
I wish we had a whole damn team full of Longs! I want that swag back. Right now, we look like a bunch of 90 year old men playing baseball…

There is playing with emotion and playing emotionally. Long tiptoes that line and tends to toe it more on the playing emotionally side. It also helps when you can back the bravado up. Two straight weekends Long has been the catalyst for giving the other team a Saturday night victory. He got the entire team kicked out two weeks ago and this Saturday pissed off the other team to the point of getting their coach fired up and their team back in it. I like the fire, but he does not know how to control it. There is a great quote from Cus D’Amato regarding emotion. It applies. Emotions are like fire, control them and they keep your house warm. Let them get out of control and they burn your house down.

Commercecomet24
04-15-2024, 11:46 AM
Saturday night we lost because our freshman pitcher couldn't throw strikes or make a throw to second to turn a double play after walking first hitter. Om didn't win because they were fired up they won because we couldn't throw strikes or turn a routine double play. It's not like they hit bullets everywhere to win.

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2024, 11:49 AM
Saturday night we lost because our freshman pitcher couldn't throw strikes or make a throw to second to turn a double play after walking first hitter. Om didn't win because they were fired up they won because we couldn't throw strikes or turn a routine double play. It's not like they hit bullets everywhere to win.

True. But Long’s antics did not help. His celebration caused Bianco to flip out and get tossed. That alone may have fired them up enough to get through the inning and then our pitching sealed it for them. But, we had plenty of chances to win that. We never should have went to extras and Hines HR in the 10th should have sealed it.

Todd4State
04-15-2024, 12:03 PM
True. But Long’s antics did not help. His celebration caused Bianco to flip out and get tossed. That alone may have fired them up enough to get through the inning and then our pitching sealed it for them. But, we had plenty of chances to win that. We never should have went to extras and Hines HR in the 10th should have sealed it.

Usually when you're fired up you hit the ball hard. Not be patient and stand there and walk.

Commercecomet24
04-15-2024, 12:04 PM

The Long thing from Saturday is being overblown. The week before against uga yeah he screwed up. But Saturday night that didn't change anything, we couldn't throw a strike or turn a double play in the bottom of the inning. We make the plays there and it doesn't matter. They didn't come out breathing fire or hitting bullets they walked because we weren't even close to the plate. Besides that kind of stuff goes on every day at every level. Heck I watched ozuna hit a 3 run homer in top 9 yesterday to give Braves a lead and he literally carried the bat all the way to first and took 30 seconds to go around the bases and do a basketball celebration with the third base coach. It fired up the marlins so much they went diwn 1-2-3 in 9th. You are right that the game should've been over in regulation and then again after 10 but we botched that by not throwing strikes and Larry booting the game winning out. Last 2 years every one said we didn't have anyone that cared or has any swag to them. Now I guess it's too much swag, lol. Our most serious problem is no closer. If we had a closer we have at least 6 more wins but we don't and that's because we've failed getting one or developing one. This could've been a very good season and a reboot but we've let it bleed away and it's a shame because this year has potential.

Commercecomet24
04-15-2024, 12:05 PM
Usually when you're fired up you hit the ball hard. Not be patient and stand there and walk.

Lol see the post I just made. Completely agree. WE lost this game and gave it away.

Santiago
04-15-2024, 01:06 PM

Cohen's mouth wrote a check during the season he couldn't cash. Bragging on radio shows , about having a coach lined up with multiple CWS appearances.
He should have been looking at Vitello instead of Lemonis. Virtually the same argument of going to the CWS as an assistant.

Man that guy was an idiot as AD.

Santiago
04-15-2024, 01:09 PM
I do not think it gets past 1 on my list. There is a reason Haire did not take the Bama job last year or the jobs he was offered after 22. He has been waiting for our job to open. We had boosters reaching out last year to gauge his interest before the LSU series.

Was Haire approached about the Bama job? I did not follow that search but seemed Byrne wasted little time hiring the Maryland coach.

Coach34
04-15-2024, 01:37 PM
I still say you throw a blank check at Vitello. Make him tel you no a couple times. Then you go hire Haire.

How much of that salary will you donate? People act like we got "blank check" money in our program. Vitello makes 1.5 or so....which means we gonna have to double that to even have a chance to get him. If you want to make him the highest paid coach in college baseball- pony up

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2024, 01:39 PM
Was Haire approached about the Bama job? I did not follow that search but seemed Byrne wasted little time hiring the Maryland coach.

Backchannel stuff before the season ended. Remember, Bama fired their coach in April.

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2024, 01:44 PM
How much of that salary will you donate? People act like we got "blank check" money in our program. Vitello makes 1.5 or so....which means we gonna have to double that to even have a chance to get him. If you want to make him the highest paid coach in college baseball- pony up

As good as Vitello may be, and by the way Lemonis has more wins in Omaha than Vitello, you do not give any coach that has not won MULTIPLE national championships blank check money in a non revenue sport. And no, I am not saying Lemonis and Vitello are even remotely the same level.

The Federalist Engineer
04-15-2024, 01:45 PM

Dan McDonnell might be fired soon anyway, he's an expensive, big-mouth mid-pack ACC coach for a basketball school. He has many past CWS appearances but no championship, lately he's missing NCAA regionals pretty regularly. Now Nick Mingione has UK rolling. I think DM takes the OM job if MB retires. Plus, McD is probably aware that Lemons' grip in Starkville is pretty weak. McD interviewed for Alabama last year.

The Federalist Engineer
04-15-2024, 01:55 PM
There is playing with emotion and playing emotionally. Long tiptoes that line and tends to toe it more on the playing emotionally side. It also helps when you can back the bravado up. Two straight weekends Long has been the catalyst for giving the other team a Saturday night victory. He got the entire team kicked out two weeks ago and this Saturday pissed off the other team to the point of getting their coach fired up and their team back in it. I like the fire, but he does not know how to control it. There is a great quote from Cus D’Amato regarding emotion. It applies. Emotions are like fire, control them and they keep your house warm. Let them get out of control and they burn your house down.

If you have prime Dennis Eckersley or Mariano Rivera to close the bottom of the inning, you can celebrate like you won.

But given MSU's deep pen, you should quietly run the bases, murmuring Our Father's or Hail Mary's ... assuming he follows the true faith.

Catchers are supposed to be high IQ players. Long has a Rodman, Artest, Terrell Owen streak.

I'm ready for my abuse and reprimand for not backing him, fire away.

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2024, 02:02 PM
If you have prime Dennis Eckersley or Mariano Rivera to close the bottom of the inning, you can celebrate like you won.

But given MSU's deep pen, you should quietly run the bases, murmuring Our Father's or Hail Mary's ... assuming he follows the true faith.

Catchers are supposed to be high IQ players. Long has a Rodman, Artest, Terrell Owen streak.

No I agree with you. I like the intensity but the bravado is a bit over the top when you are sucking and know that the game is far from over with our pen. Again, things always look better in a win. If we hold on in that one we are talking about how much he pissed their fans off pimping a go ahead homer.

Saltydog
04-15-2024, 02:53 PM
Yeah, nothing like a team full of players that bat .250 with no power, oh wait, nevermind............

BankerDog
04-15-2024, 03:44 PM

So you hated Mitch Slauter and Logan Tanner too? Or you didn?t because we were winning then? We literally have people on this board calling guys p****** yet hate the one kid on the team that actually doesn?t play like one. We are such a bipolar fanbase that just doesn?t get it and never will.

StarkVegasSteve
04-15-2024, 04:07 PM
So you hated Mitch Slauter and Logan Tanner too? Or you didn?t because we were winning then? We literally have people on this board calling guys p****** yet hate the one kid on the team that actually doesn?t play like one. We are such a bipolar fanbase that just doesn?t get it and never will.

Long’s main problem is that the two times he has done something we have lost in painful fashion and he has had a defining moment in the game so therefore he gets blamed. Fairly or unfairly. He obviously plays with intensity but it is not even cockiness like Logan Tanner or the Tennessee guys. It is almost like football intensity. He kind of plays like Jonathan Abram. Like, love the intensity, but maybe tone it down a notch.