PDA

View Full Version : Defense

BrunswickDawg
04-12-2024, 09:50 PM
Something that isn't getting a lot of notice for the improvement is our defense.

Going into tonights game, we were 3rd in the Nation in Fielding %.

Huge, huge upgrade from last year.

redstickdawg
04-12-2024, 09:58 PM
Last year we had far too many walks, and that works on fielders, they become bored and complacent. This year as we know we are throwing strikes and it appears that has had a big effect on fielders being ready.

Commercecomet24
04-12-2024, 10:00 PM
Something that isn't getting a lot of notice for the improvement is our defense.

Going into tonights game, we were 3rd in the Nation in Fielding %.

Huge, huge upgrade from last year.

Yes sir and pitching and defense travels! Can't always count on scoring a bunch but pitching and defense is pretty consistent.

parabrave
04-13-2024, 01:41 AM
And we got a guy who knows how to play 3rd.

Todd4State
04-13-2024, 01:59 AM
Last year we had far too many walks, and that works on fielders, they become bored and complacent. This year as we know we are throwing strikes and it appears that has had a big effect on fielders being ready.

When you have baserunners on even if they walk you're compounding things for the other fielders. It causes more possibilities to happen rather than- ball is hit to me throw it to first base and get the out.

Although I think Alford is a poor defender and Forsythe had the yips. I don't think Forsythe would have started this year between Cupp, Mershon, and Larry. Cupp and Mershon are as good or better defenders and all hit better although Forsythe has hit much better this year. Only catcher was an issue besides those two and Highfill had made some strides before he got hurt.