PDA

View Full Version : What was Cheese doing to let the fiasco happen

tcdog70
04-09-2024, 08:23 AM
how did he let Hisack just walk into an out. Could He not tell Him to get his ass back on third. Makes me wonder why even have a third base coach.

Coach34
04-09-2024, 08:42 AM
Hugesak thought for whatever reason the bases were loaded and he was headed home after Ball 4. Cheese called him back and the throw beat him. Had Cheese not called him back he would have kept on going

Cheese aint perfect in the coaching box but that was on Hugesak all the way

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 08:45 AM
Hugesak thought for whatever reason the bases were loaded and he was headed home after Ball 4. Cheese called him back and the throw beat him. Had Cheese not called him back he would have kept on going

This, not on cheese. I've seen this kind of thing happen at all levels too. No excuse for it but it does happen, humans after all do make mistakes, lol.

ZedFedder
04-09-2024, 08:49 AM
You could say Cheese should have been paying better attention, but in his defense, who in their right mind would even think Hujsak would do that.

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 08:56 AM
If you watch the replay Hujsak started back toward the bag and I'm sure Cheese thought he was coming back then he did a 180 and started toward the play, you see Cheese gesturing and yelling for him to get back. This was all on Hujsak and he knows it. I love the way Hujsak plays the game but he screwed up there. Happens to the best. I saw Mickey Mantle take off on a pop fly because he thought there were 2 outs and he got doubled up.

basedog
04-09-2024, 09:01 AM
Hmmmm, the 3rd base coach should always tell the runner the situation and explain the "what ifs". Sure, Hujsak is responsible for his mistake, but Cheese should have been more alert also. I wondered what Cheese was doing or not doing when the play accrued. Actually, i think it's more 50-50.

Btw, our base running situation needs to get corrected. Hasn't been as bad lately but it has caused issues in the past, just saying so don't hate on me. I like winning and coaching guys up. LOL.

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 09:18 AM
Hmmmm, the 3rd base coach should always tell the runner the situation and explain the "what ifs". Sure, Hujsak is responsible for his mistake, but Cheese should have been more alert also. I wondered what Cheese was doing or not doing when the play accrued. Actually, i think it's more 50-50.

Btw, our base running situation needs to get corrected. Hasn't been as bad lately but it has caused issues in the past, just saying so don't hate on me. I like winning and coaching guys up. LOL.

Base, I normally agree with you but as someone who coached third base for a long time, I can assure you, that you can remind a runner of everything and be screaming at them and watch them still do something like what Hujsak did. General rule is if a coach has to yell at you, it's to late. Now I do agree our baserunning has been interesting to say the least, but that was just a brain cramp by Hujsak. Watch the replay he started coming back to third on ball 4 and then made a 180 and headed to the plate, it was to late for cheese to do anything at that point.

basedog
04-09-2024, 09:54 AM
Base, I normally agree with you but as someone who coached third base for a long time, I can assure you, that you can remind a runner of everything and be screaming at them and watch them still do something like what Hujsak did. General rule is if a coach has to yell at you, it's to late. Now I do agree our baserunning has been interesting to say the least, but that was just a brain cramp by Hujsak. Watch the replay he started coming back to third on ball 4 and then made a 180 and headed to the plate, it was to late for cheese to do anything at that point.

LOL, I don't doubt what you say, but maybe someone could ask both runner and coach IF things were explained. It's a guess for all of us what may have been discussed or not discussed. Again no doubt runner made a mistake of not paying attention, but my first reaction watching was WTF? LOL, all good with you 24, you know more baseball than me, I don't have to be right every time on a message board.

May have some news for you on upcoming games.

shoeless joe
04-09-2024, 10:11 AM
what was cheese supposed to do? "bases aren't loaded so don't try to walk home if this next pitch is a ball...if it's a strike stay here as well...if it's a wild pitch try to score if it's no doubt...if it bounces back quickly then hold up...if it's a deep fly ball we're gonna tag, etc........"

hell no, i guarantee you he relayed the situation and number of outs but you can't go over every possible scenario in every situation. also, if you think merely telling a base runner exactly what to and not to do is going to prevent any mistakes or errors then you haven't spent much time on the diamond. it is mind numbing what can happen at all levels.

basedog
04-09-2024, 10:32 AM
Well, I think I will go eat some "crow meat", LOL! Glad we won.

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 10:44 AM
LOL, I don't doubt what you say, but maybe someone could ask both runner and coach IF things were explained. It's a guess for all of us what may have been discussed or not discussed. Again no doubt runner made a mistake of not paying attention, but my first reaction watching was WTF? LOL, all good with you 24, you know more baseball than me, I don't have to be right every time on a message board.

May have some news for you on upcoming games.

Ah man you know you're one of my favorites. Me and you will always be all good. And I agree someone should ask exactly what went on between cheese and Hujsak. I'd like to hear that as well. I'm wrong a plenty on here. I remember I had this kid played for me. Wound up playing d1 ball at eastern Kentucky, but was a truly awful base runner but blazing fast which made him even more dangerous lol. He was on second with 2 outs runner on first 3-2 count on hitter so we're off on the pitch. Im reminding him wait for the pitcher to release don't get picked. And you know what he did? Pitcher made inside move he left to soon and got picked. I was so mad I benched his butt right there. We lost that game by one run lol. Love the kid and him my son roomed together on baseball team at jones but he sucked as a base runner! I always appreciate and respect your posts my friend!

Just let me know on the games!

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 10:48 AM
Well, I think I will go eat some "crow meat", LOL! Glad we won.

Naw dude you're good! Glad we won too!

Knowing what I know about Hujsak if that would've cost us the game someone would've had to keep him from jumping off a building. The kid is a competitor and hates losing and that play was out of character for him because he's fundamentally sound. Did y'all notice the hustle on the pop up to right the guy dropped? Hujsak never stopped running and wound up on third. Most players would've loaded and wound up on first maybe second. I'll let him slide on that because I know the kids makeup, just don't do it again or your fired lol

Coach34
04-09-2024, 11:04 AM
what was cheese supposed to do? "bases aren't loaded so don't try to walk home if this next pitch is a ball...if it's a strike stay here as well...if it's a wild pitch try to score if it's no doubt...if it bounces back quickly then hold up...if it's a deep fly ball we're gonna tag, etc........"

hell no, i guarantee you he relayed the situation and number of outs but you can't go over every possible scenario in every situation. also, if you think merely telling a base runner exactly what to and not to do is going to prevent any mistakes or errors then you haven't spent much time on the diamond. it is mind numbing what can happen at all levels.

Exactly.

I'm not talking about Base here but we seem to have some fans that want to blame the coach for every single thing bad that happens. Like the coaches have remotes and are moving them. Shit just happens sometimes. Or we will talk about how lucky we were that Alford booted that ball knowing good and well that Alford is a shitty defender. And absolutely ignoring Chester's two throwing errors at 3rd on routine balls that helped Georgia score some runs.

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 11:24 AM
Exactly.

I'm not talking about Base here but we seem to have some fans that want to blame the coach for every single thing bad that happens. Like the coaches have remotes and are moving them. Shit just happens sometimes. Or we will talk about how lucky we were that Alford booted that ball knowing good and well that Alford is a shitty defender. And absolutely ignoring Chester's two throwing errors at 3rd on routine balls that helped Georgia score some runs.

34 you know like I do that baseball, above all other sports, is a game of failure and you have to deal with adversity constantly. Kinda like life. Obviously you want to keep mistakes to a minimum but as you said sometimes, stuff happens. Baseball is not a sport where you can just put it in the hands of your best player every single time you need a big play. I don't think most of our fans understand this and expect perfection. That's why so many people give up In the game threads when we get behind early or when we lose a game we're not "supposed" to
lose. Heck I've seen people hit 3 home runs in a game and then come up in the 9th with the winning run on and whiff. I've also seen games where a guy whiffs 4 times and comes up in the 9th and drives in the winning run you forget about the 4 whiffs. In baseball you constantly have to deal with failure and it's how you deal with it that separates winners from losers. It's why a lot of sports fans can't handle baseball! Sorry rant over!

Mjoelner34
04-09-2024, 11:47 AM

BS! It's 100% on him! The base coaches job is not to just wave runners. It is to keep them aware of the situation too. Yes, Hugesack screwed up but it was the coach or more like, the lack-of that let him screw up.

basedog
04-09-2024, 12:10 PM
Exactly.

That is correct and a good point about not liking a Coach and blaming lots of situations on a coach that he has no control. We have improved no doubt, I just hope we keep it up, Lord knows I have been somewhat outspoken about Lemonis, but I just want us to win! Btw, I don't dislike Lemonis, I just think he fell a sleep at the wheel to quickly.

smootness
04-09-2024, 12:28 PM
BS! It's 100% on him! The base coaches job is not to just wave runners. It is to keep them aware of the situation too. Yes, Hugesack screwed up but it was the coach or more like, the lack-of that let him screw up.

This is insane.

What do we think he did not tell him that he should have? Do not walk home if there is a walk here because the bases are not loaded?

Some things can be assumed. A coach does not tell every player on the field every detail about a play before every pitch.

Coach34
04-09-2024, 12:39 PM

disagreement noted

Coach34
04-09-2024, 12:41 PM
This is insane.

What do we think he did not tell him that he should have? Do not walk home if there is a walk here because the bases are not loaded?

Not to mention that Hugesak stole 3rd a couple pitches earlier because the 3rd baseman was cheating trying to sneak in on the bunt. Who we gonna give that credit to?

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 12:50 PM
This is insane.

Some things can be assumed. A coach does not tell every player on the field every detail about a play before every pitch.

Yep! 100%

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 12:53 PM
Not to mention that Hugesak stole 3rd a couple pitches earlier because the 3rd baseman was cheating trying to sneak in on the bunt. Who we gonna give that credit to?

Was an extremely smart play by Hujsak, that was as smart a play as the pickoff was dumb!

basedog
04-09-2024, 12:58 PM
This is insane.

Well, if my wife was Coaching third base, I guarantee you she would have been "coaching him up"* on every pitch! Tell me you married guys agree? LMBO

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 01:05 PM
Well, if my wife was Coaching third base, I guarantee you she would have been "coaching him up"* on every pitch! Tell me you married guys agree? LMBO

100%!

State82
04-09-2024, 01:28 PM
You could say Cheese should have been paying better attention, but in his defense, who in their right mind would even think Hujsak would do that.

And I will bet anyone 100 bucks that he does not do it again.

preachermatt83
04-09-2024, 02:52 PM

This

Goldendawg
04-09-2024, 03:22 PM

Our 2 family groups were sitting about 7 and 8 rows above the third base dugout and saw the play in real time. All five of us felt that both Cheese and Hujsak fell asleep at the wheel. Bone headed play by both. My wife says that the only job Cheese has coaching the third base.

preachermatt83
04-09-2024, 03:38 PM
Our 2 family groups were sitting about 7 and 8 rows above the third base dugout and saw the play in real time. All five of us felt that both Cheese and Hujsak fell asleep at the wheel. Bone headed play by both. My wife says that the only job Cheese has coaching the third base.
Facts!!

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 03:41 PM
Let me just say this, if a coach has to yell for you to get back or go, guess what? It's to late.

Goldendawg
04-09-2024, 03:55 PM
Let me just say this, if a coach has to yell for you to get back or go, guess what? It's to late.

Always appreciate your insight and knowledge from your coaching days, but the opinion of our group had nothing to do with Cheese yelling for the player to head home or come back. We all felt both were totally unaware during this situation and both lost focus. My wife told me again that all Cheese has to do is coach 3rd base.

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 03:59 PM
This would've been my instruction in between every pitch, "Nobody out, runner on first, Conservative lead, good secondary, dont get picked, tagging on a fly ball, line drives have to go through, ground ball to the middle we're scoring, to first or third we're holding unless they go for 2, your read on a passed ball." I don't what cheese instructions were but every third base coach has pretty much the same rap, depending on situation.

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 04:00 PM
Always appreciate your insight and knowledge from your coaching days, but the opinion of our group had nothing to do with Cheese yelling for the player to head home or come back. We all felt both were totally unaware during this situation and both lost focus. My wife told me again that all Cheese has to do is coach 3rd base.

Once again it's all on Hujsak. NOBODY in the dugout is blaming cheese for this, no one. Watch the replay hujsak is down the line on ball 4 he starts back to third and then suddenly turns and heads for home and you can see cheese motioning and yelling, and that's what i mean by it was to late. This is all hujsak, sorry. And i'm sorry but you can never go by what a well meaning woman says during a baseball game. Just watch the replay you'll see what i mean.

Goldendawg
04-09-2024, 04:06 PM
Once again it's all on Hujsak. NOBODY in the dugout is blaming cheese for this, no one. Watch the replay hujsak is down the line on ball 4 he starts back to third and then suddenly turns and heads for home and you can see cheese motioning and yelling, and that's what i mean by it was to late. This is all hujsak, sorry. And i'm sorry but you can never go by what a well meaning woman says during a baseball game. Just watch the replay you'll see what i mean.

So wife just asked then, what is the third base coach's job if he didn't notice player was half way down the line before it was too late in this play? Thanks

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 04:29 PM
So wife just asked then, what is the third base coach's job if he didn't notice player was half way down the line before it was too late in this play? Thanks

And like I just said Hujsak started back toward the bag and the turned and started trotting home. At that point it's too late for the 3b coach to do anything. And he wasn't halfway when he got picked. Please watch the replay and you'll see. It's why Lemonis said in the postgame nobody feels worse about this than Connor(he did not mention cheese), and said he won't make that mistake again. I like you a lot but the only way cheese prevents this is by tackling him and he ain't fast enough. Trust me I've coached third for more than 2 decades this is all on the runner.

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 04:44 PM
The replay of the game watch from 2:45:40 mark. Hujsak is almost completely back to third and then for some reason has a brain fart and turns around and trots for home. Notice as soon as he turns from the bag and starts trotting toward home look at cheese he's gesturing and hollering at Hujsak. Hujsak just gets past the dirt cutout(not halfway) when the throw comes. Cheese even run towards the line and the bag and is gesturing at the bay. No way anyone can watch that and say it's not on Hujsak.

Goldendawg
04-09-2024, 04:48 PM
And like I just said Hujsak started back toward the bag and the turned and started trotting home. At that point it's too late for the 3b coach to do anything. And he wasn't halfway when he got picked. Please watch the replay and you'll see. It's why Lemonis said in the postgame nobody feels worse about this than Connor(he did not mention cheese), and said he won't make that mistake again. I like you a lot but the only way cheese prevents this is by tackling him and he ain't fast enough. Trust me I've coached third for more than 2 decades this is all on the runner.

Thanks for further explanation. Not only do you explain things from a coach's perspective as well as a fan, I appreciate your kind words which brought a smile to my face. True state fans want us to be our best possible in all sports. Our group and those around us as fans are prone to do and lost it after this play "among a few others". I don't think i've met a true state fan that I didn't like, it takes guts to be one. So glad my late superdawg dad raised me hardcore as I have my son. Heck, I would watch state play tiddlywinks, especially if it was against ole miss and want to win every play and game! Hail State!

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 04:54 PM
Thanks for further explanation. Not only do you explain things from a coach's perspective as well as a fan, I appreciate your kind words which brought a smile to my face. True state fans want us to be our best possible in all sports. Our group and those around us as fans are prone to do and lost it after this play "among a few others". I don't think i've met a true state fan that I didn't like, it takes guts to be one. So glad my late superdawg dad raised me hardcore as I have my son. Heck, I would watch state play tiddlywinks, especially if it was against ole miss and want to win every play and game! Hail State!

You're a good dude, Golden! I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be a butthole but it probably came off that way. My apologies. Yes we all want what's best for State for sure! HAILSTATE and Go Dawgs! I agree I would watch State play anything! Love em!

Coach34
04-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Not only that- Cheese has to look into the dugout at Lemon to get the signal for what he wants to do next. Cheese sees Hugesak coming back toward 3rd as he was supposed to do. He probably cut his eyes toward the dugout to see what the plan was and then Hugesak inexplicably takes off

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 05:02 PM
Not only that- Cheese has to look into the dugout at Lemon to get the signal for what he wants to do next. Cheese sees Hugesak coming back toward 3rd as he was supposed to do. He probably cut his eyes toward the dugout to see what the plan was and then Hugesak inexplicably takes off

Man I love the way Hujsak plays the kid is all stones and it killed me that he made that mistake! You could see the hurt on his face too, because he knew he cost us a chance to have a huge inning. If we had lost that game somebody would've had to put a 24 hour watch on him.

Homedawg
04-09-2024, 06:29 PM

Your wife knows what cheese told him!??? Figures. This ain't on cheese. I promise you cheese just told him what they were doing on a ground ball. Let it go through. Etc. you don't tell them let it go through on the bases loaded. And you don't down angle w no outs. So let's just admit this isn't cheese's fault. Like blaming the rb coach for us fumbling.

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Your wife knows what cheese told him!??? Figures. This ain't on cheese. I promise you cheese just told him what they were doing on a ground ball. Let it go through. Etc. you don't tell them let it go through on the bases loaded. And you don't down angle w no outs. So let's just admit this isn't cheese's fault. Like blaming the rb coach for us fumbling.

I like the rb Coach analogy!

Coursesuper
04-09-2024, 07:33 PM

Every damn time!

BrunswickDawg
04-09-2024, 07:43 PM
34 you know like I do that baseball, above all other sports, is a game of failure and you have to deal with adversity constantly. Kinda like life. Obviously you want to keep mistakes to a minimum but as you said sometimes, stuff happens. Baseball is not a sport where you can just put it in the hands of your best player every single time you need a big play. I don't think most of our fans understand this and expect perfection. That's why so many people give up In the game threads when we get behind early or when we lose a game we're not "supposed" to
lose. Heck I've seen people hit 3 home runs in a game and then come up in the 9th with the winning run on and whiff. I've also seen games where a guy whiffs 4 times and comes up in the 9th and drives in the winning run you forget about the 4 whiffs. In baseball you constantly have to deal with failure and it's how you deal with it that separates winners from losers. It's why a lot of sports fans can't handle baseball! Sorry rant over!

Baseball - the only sport where success is failing 70% of the time.

viverlibre
04-09-2024, 07:51 PM
Cheese was too busy telling Hisack to stick a hot pocket in microwave for him.

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 07:53 PM

Yep and it's so very mental and a lot of people can't deal with that little amount of success. It requires a ton of mental toughness to be successful

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 07:53 PM
Cheese was too busy telling Hisack to stick a hot pocket in microwave from him.

Best post in this thread!

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-09-2024, 07:56 PM

That's how I was able to stay on a team as long as I did- the expected failure rate did a lot to hide how mediocre i was lol

the_real_MSU_is_us
04-09-2024, 08:00 PM

I'm helping coach my sons U8 team and we've got to yell what to do every damned play lol. I've about got them all waiting up on a fly ball but when I say "there's 2 outs so run even if the ball is in the air" I get looks almost like betrayal like "what?? You tell me this rule all these times only to break it later??"

But there's no way you can blame a coach for not telling a COLLEGE PLAYER that the bases aren't loaded. like WTF, that's just basic situational awareness. And it's not a big deal, baserunning errors happen and we ultimately win the game anyway

Commercecomet24
04-09-2024, 08:07 PM
I'm helping coach my sons U8 team and we've got to yell what to do every damned play lol. I've about got them all waiting up on a fly ball but when I say "there's 2 outs so run even if the ball is in the air" I get looks almost like betrayal like "what?? You tell me this rule all these times only to break it later??"

But there's no way you can blame a coach for not telling a COLLEGE PLAYER that the bases aren't loaded. like WTF, that's just basic situational awareness. And it's not a big deal, baserunning errors happen and we ultimately win the game anyway

Man that's a fun age! They're just playing for the joy of the game and being kids! Enjoy it, it goes by to quick.

And that's the right perspective on that play Sunday.

tcdog70
04-10-2024, 09:04 AM

exactly--Cheese went to sleep. why have a 3rd base coach if he isn't talking to the runner all the time.

tcdog70
04-10-2024, 09:12 AM
The replay of the game watch from 2:45:40 mark. Hujsak is almost completely back to third and then for some reason has a brain fart and turns around and trots for home. Notice as soon as he turns from the bag and starts trotting toward home look at cheese he's gesturing and hollering at Hujsak. Hujsak just gets past the dirt cutout(not halfway) when the throw comes. Cheese even run towards the line and the bag and is gesturing at the bay. No way anyone can watch that and say it's not on Hujsak.

love your opinions, but some blame has to be on Cheese. why have a 3rd base Coach if he isn't going to prevent stupid plays like this.

tcdog70
04-10-2024, 09:15 AM

when did you become an excuse maker? Cheese 17ed up just like Hisack. Hell -little league players wouldnot make that mistake.. because if they did the 3rd base coach would be yelling --"get your ass back on the base"

shoeless joe
04-10-2024, 09:29 AM
oh boy...i feel like i'm sitting behind the back stop at a travel ball tournament listening to all the mom's talking about what should and shouldn't be done.

Commercecomet24
04-10-2024, 10:04 AM
oh boy...i feel like i'm sitting behind the back stop at a travel ball tournament listening to all the mom's talking about what should and shouldn't be done.

I'm right there with ya! You, me and others have tried explaining this ad nauseam, I've shared the replay timing and I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall. I give up, the ones that know, know, the ones that don't will never get it.

Homedawg
04-10-2024, 10:06 AM
I'm right there with ya! You, me and others have tried explaining this ad nauseam, I've shared the replay timing and I feel like I'm beating my head against the wall. I give up, the ones that know, know, the ones that don't will never get it.

Amen. And it clear shows the ones w lack of baseball knowledge. Easy to see.

Coursesuper
04-10-2024, 10:09 AM

Dead on, you win the thread.

Coursesuper
04-10-2024, 10:12 AM
Amen. And it clear shows the ones w lack of baseball knowledge. Easy to see.

Yup

State82
04-10-2024, 11:10 AM
If I was cooking burgers on a grill with a 20 year old standing next to me the last thing I would ever think about having to say is "Don't lean up against this grill while this meat is sizzling." Kinda the same sort of thing being discussed here. If you think a third base coach needs to be constantly barking at a player at the highest level of collegiate baseball about not leaving third base on a walk with only one other player on at the time, then I don't know what to say.

Commercecomet24
04-10-2024, 11:29 AM
If I was cooking burgers on a grill with a 20 year old standing next to me the last thing I would ever think about having to say is "Don't lean up against this grill while this meat is sizzling." Kinda the same sort of thing being discussed here. If you think a third base coach needs to be constantly barking at a player at the highest level of collegiate baseball about not leaving third base on a walk with only one other player on at the time, then I don't know what to say.

That's an awesome analogy! Wish I could give you more rep!

Coach34
04-10-2024, 12:11 PM
when did you become an excuse maker? Cheese 17ed up just like Hisack. Hell -little league players wouldnot make that mistake.. because if they did the 3rd base coach would be yelling --"get your ass back on the base"

Tell me you haven’t coached 3rd base before without telling me you haven’t coached 3rd base before

Good grief at our fans. That mistake is made on every level of baseball every season from every base

Commercecomet24
04-10-2024, 12:14 PM
Tell me you haven’t coached 3rd base before without telling me you haven’t coached 3rd base before

Good grief at our fans. That mistake is made on every level of baseball every season from every base

Yep from tball to mlb! Actually probably more common than it should be at higher levels.

Todd4State
04-10-2024, 01:18 PM

LOL!

viverlibre
04-10-2024, 09:50 PM
At that point in the inning, Cheese be thinking about

https://media1.tenor.com/m/ESopY9I-GDEAAAAC/chris-pratt-andy-dwyer.gif

Commercecomet24
04-10-2024, 09:54 PM
At that point in the inning, Cheese be thinking about

https://media1.tenor.com/m/ESopY9I-GDEAAAAC/chris-pratt-andy-dwyer.gif

Lol!