PDA

View Full Version : Jans interviewing for Arkansas

HoopsDawg
04-06-2024, 11:37 PM
On Sunday. If he takes it, gotta hire Will Wade right?

Cooterpoot
04-06-2024, 11:42 PM
He gone

CaptainObvious
04-06-2024, 11:50 PM
Hmmm. I was wondering why Vic Schaefer was at the baseball game tonight. He must be interviewing for our soon to be vacant Men's Coach!

msstate7
04-07-2024, 12:09 AM
On Sunday. If he takes it, gotta hire Will Wade right?

That would be a strong hire. I'm actually ok if that's the trade

klong-dog
04-07-2024, 12:11 AM
if he indeed interviews, please get to stepping Jans.

msstate7
04-07-2024, 12:13 AM

I can't blame him for interviewing. Ark is a better job

HoopsDawg
04-07-2024, 12:15 AM

Yeah, normally when an SEC coach interviews in person. it's just a formality. He's likely gone.

msstate7
04-07-2024, 12:16 AM
I don't think he gets it tho

HoopsDawg
04-07-2024, 12:16 AM
That would be a strong hire. I'm actually ok if that's the trade

Wade is probably an upgrade.

preachermatt83
04-07-2024, 12:22 AM
Hmmm. I was wondering why Vic Schaefer was at the baseball game tonight. He must be interviewing for our soon to be vacant Men's Coach!

I know you’re joking. But I am crazy enough to absolutely want this

Todd4State
04-07-2024, 12:57 AM
If he does leave can we get someone that can teach the team to shoot free throws?

HoopsDawg
04-07-2024, 01:12 AM
If he does leave can we get someone that can teach the team to shoot free throws?

No, but we can recruit players that can shoot free throws

ZedFedder
04-07-2024, 01:18 AM
I?m all in on Will Wade if so.

ETA; I knew we would eventually lose Jans, but I did not think it would be to Arkansas.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
04-07-2024, 06:03 AM
Hubbard gone too?

civildawg
04-07-2024, 06:54 AM
I?m all in on Will Wade if so.

ETA; I knew we would eventually lose Jans, but I did not think it would be to Arkansas.

I agree with all of this. Go get will wade and inject some excitement into this program. Jans' style is just not exciting, which attributes to small attendance. I've been pretty critical of Jans this year because I've felt like he's done a pretty mediocre job coaching this team this past year but I also recognize he's got us to the tournament 2 years in a row and thank him for that

msstate7
04-07-2024, 07:14 AM
Darrell Walker of ark LR is also being interviewed today. If you believe tRant, wade used ark to get raise at mcneese. No idea he really turned em down, but if he's looking for bigger than ark, no way we pull em

TheLostDawg
04-07-2024, 07:28 AM
Darrell Walker of ark LR is also being interviewed today. If you believe tRant, wade used ark to get raise at mcneese. No idea he really turned em down, but if he's looking for bigger than ark, no way we pull em

Arkansas expects to win now. More cushion here. That being said, I believe you're right. No one thinks they'll fail moving upwards. Unfortunately it's about what kind of money you have to pay the coach, staff, and now to get players

starkvegasdawg
04-07-2024, 07:46 AM

I don't think we've had a coach that cared about that since Richard Williams.

maroonmania
04-07-2024, 08:44 AM
Figures we will likely lose the best men's coach on campus. What a wonderful sports weekend this has been for us.

CaptainObvious
04-07-2024, 09:09 AM
Well, the fact that he is interviewing and he hasn't been told to pack his bags shows how weak our admin is. The fact is Men's Basketball ranks 4th in importance to State Admin and State Fans. It is what it is. State a basketball hasn't been in the Top 2 ever and it hasn't been in the Top 3 since Stansbury was run off. There are a few hundred sometimes vocal message board fans who hated Stans and his team family dynamic, but Thousands of State fans loved him and felt he should have had a chance to right the ship. Then, the clown that was forced upon the State "Family" to coach just pushed more fans away. Then boring styles of basketball made things less palatable.

Cooterpoot
04-07-2024, 10:02 AM
Well, the fact that he is interviewing and he hasn't been told to pack his bags shows how weak our admin is. The fact is Men's Basketball ranks 4th in importance to State Admin and State Fans. It is what it is. State a basketball hasn't been in the Top 2 ever and it hasn't been in the Top 3 since Stansbury was run off. There are a few hundred sometimes vocal message board fans who hated Stans and his team family dynamic, but Thousands of State fans loved him and felt he should have had a chance to right the ship. Then, the clown that was forced upon the State "Family" to coach just pushed more fans away. Then boring styles of basketball made things less palatable.

Why would we fire him and pay his buyout? Have a little common sense.

Cooterpoot
04-07-2024, 10:05 AM
This guy wants out of Starkville. He's talking to everybody that will listen. Arkansas wasn't the first and won't be the last if he misses out on it. It's been rumored for awhile and those rumors are obviously true- It's Dan Mullen 2.0

TheLostDawg
04-07-2024, 10:11 AM

If he wants out that bad then I'm sure that he'd wave his buyout. However it's better for us if the place he goes has to pay us his buyout. Either way Selmon is having a busy weekend

TheLostDawg
04-07-2024, 10:15 AM
It's going to be interesting to see how long Selmon stays. Possibly hit on football. Now we'll see basketball. Has been fixing our nil.

BankerDog
04-07-2024, 10:54 AM
Our next coach is only 2.5 hours away in Homewood, AL and he goes by ?Bucky?.

civildawg
04-07-2024, 11:13 AM
Looks like Faulk has informed people on On3 that Jans will be the next coach at arky. Go get will wade yesterday and thank your lucky stars that Arky did this.

msstate7
04-07-2024, 11:14 AM

This would be a good hire

civildawg
04-07-2024, 11:17 AM
I would be good with him as well

maroonmania
04-07-2024, 11:19 AM
Looks like Faulk has informed people on On3 that Jans will be the next coach at arky. Go get will wade yesterday and thank your lucky stars that Arky did this.

Well it's so nice that we can train coaches and ADs for the rest of the league.***

Embarrassing

basedog
04-07-2024, 11:19 AM
I am on the fence about Wade, but we shall see. Jans will do well at Arkansas, they are all in for Basketball which will help him recruit. Not sure we will ever win in Basketball enough, we never have but just a few years overall.

basedog
04-07-2024, 11:20 AM
Well it's so nice that we can train coaches and ADs for the rest of the league.***

Embarrassing

It's what it is in todays sports, you don't see guys around long now days.

maroonmania
04-07-2024, 11:29 AM

I would like to understand why he is interviewing 'all over' after only 2 years and Hubbard and Matthew's coming back? He's yet to even have a winning record in the SEC and really hasn't even gotten things fully established. Still been mostly using Howland's guys.

civildawg
04-07-2024, 11:35 AM
Apparently he's just doesn't like Starkville and that's ok, it's a small town so it's not for everyone. My problem with it though is you've had the sec player of the year this year and will have the front runner for it next year. What more can you ask for to build a good team around? Our basketball resources have been plentiful in the past so unless something has changed, then I don't know what else he expects

R2Dawg
04-07-2024, 11:40 AM
We find the right guy, he will come here, do well and stay. Until then get whoever can recruit and win. Now I don't know about Wade. Too much for me.

Cooterpoot
04-07-2024, 11:55 AM
I want what's best for all our programs. The best thing is for Jans to come back. But damage is being done now and the more he does this, the worse it's going to be. Maybe he's back another season but we need to be looking for another coach. I'd pull the contract offer now too. That buyout would go up if he wants a contract. Otherwise, play out the current one.

Commercecomet24
04-07-2024, 12:13 PM

This and it's not just sports either. It's in every line of work

CaptainObvious
04-07-2024, 12:17 PM

And why would we create a contract that allows a coach to look around and interview all he wants to with no repercussions? Did State not learn the lessons from Merlin's and Schaefers? Admin, use a little common sense!

Extendedcab
04-07-2024, 12:41 PM
I would like to understand why he is interviewing 'all over' after only 2 years and Hubbard and Matthew's coming back? He's yet to even have a winning record in the SEC and really hasn't even gotten things fully established. Still been mostly using Howland's guys.

Same here, he must either:

Not like Starkville (or his wife)
Has some rub with somebody in the administration

Otherwise it does not make sense to go to AR! I do not see how they are a better job.

basedog
04-07-2024, 12:48 PM

Otherwise it does not make sense to go to AR! I do not see how they are a better job.

Way better job, they have a really nice arena with it being very loud. They have been good in basketball way longer than Msu.

NeuteredDawg
04-07-2024, 12:49 PM
The Starkville factor hits again. Outside of campus it?s a dump.

HoopsDawg
04-07-2024, 12:49 PM

Seriously?

HoopsDawg
04-07-2024, 12:53 PM

Wade will be a tough pull for us, but you gotta try.

If Jans is interviewing in person today, it's over. One way or the other, it's over

Extendedcab
04-07-2024, 12:56 PM
Seriously?

If the size of the arena is the most important factor, then sure.

But we have owned them the past 9 years with a 11 wins and only 2 losses.

And yes I have spent time in northwest Arkansas. :confused:

maroonmania
04-07-2024, 01:31 PM
The Starkville factor hits again. Outside of campus it?s a dump.

Apparently we will never be able to keep a coach without a Target.:( ***

Bothrops
04-07-2024, 01:32 PM
If Jans is hired at Arkansas, our MBK program is finished immediately. In other words, we are the worst program in the West. That's cool because football needs serious serious concentration. But even if Jans returns it will have a negative effect on the program and whether he makes the tourney next year will be irrelevant because he isn't committed. He won't be here for the 25-26 season. Let's please, please make this an opportunity for football.

Dawgface
04-07-2024, 01:41 PM
If Jans is hired at Arkansas, our MBK program is finished immediately. In other words, we are the worst program in the West. That's cool because football needs serious serious concentration. But even if Jans returns it will have a negative effect on the program and whether he makes the tourney next year will be irrelevant because he isn't committed. He won't be here for the 25-26 season. Let's please, please make this an opportunity for football.

I hope he leaves. No one will be fired up over basketball knowing he wants out. As far as emphasizing football goes that would be fine with me. But you know State will try to get a good coach and compete.

FoggyBottom
04-07-2024, 02:05 PM
Chris Beard was offered the Arkansas job and quickly turned it down. KSU?s coach, Tang, was also approached but reupped with the Wildcats.

I am surprised the Jans? interview was made public. This makes it uncomfortable to return in the event he is not selected. I would not be surprised to see the Hogs turn to former player Darrell Walker.

msstate7
04-07-2024, 02:41 PM
Chris Beard was offered the Arkansas job and quickly turned it down. KSU?s coach, Tang, was also approached but reupped with the Wildcats.

I am surprised the Jans? interview was made public. This makes it uncomfortable to return in the event he is not selected. I would not be surprised to see the Hogs turn to former player Darrell Walker.

Supposedly Arkansas didn't meet beard's NIL requirements. If ark isn't gonna spend, not sure Jans moves the needle for them. Jans will make the tourney there, but probably won't pull the talent to win like ark wants to win

Quaoarsking
04-07-2024, 02:54 PM
Walker is 82-99 (50-56) at UALR. Why him?

Coach34
04-07-2024, 03:03 PM
Walker is 82-99 (50-56) at UALR. Why him?

He is a courtesy interview most likely

Cooterpoot
04-07-2024, 03:07 PM
And why would we create a contract that allows a coach to look around and interview all he wants to with no repercussions? Did State not learn the lessons from Merlin's and Schaefers? Admin, use a little common sense!

Because we don't pay the buy out and our players don't leave.

Cooterpoot
04-07-2024, 03:07 PM
Supposedly Arkansas didn't meet beard's NIL requirements. If ark isn't gonna spend, not sure Jans moves the needle for them. Jans will make the tourney there, but probably won't pull the talent to win like ark wants to win

Jans wants out. If he's offered, he's gone.

msstate7
04-07-2024, 03:09 PM

Never said differently. I would to if I were him. Ark is a much better job

Cooterpoot
04-07-2024, 03:12 PM

Arkansas isn't Richardson Arkansas anymore. They aren't nearly what some people think. It's marginally better, & that's about it otherwise they'd be making a bigger hire than Jans.

msstate7
04-07-2024, 03:14 PM
Arkansas isn't Richardson Arkansas anymore. They aren't nearly what some people think. It's marginally better, & that's about it otherwise they'd be making a bigger hire than Jans.

The fact their fans show up makes it better just by myself

maroonmania
04-07-2024, 03:28 PM

Yes, but is there a Target in Fayetteville? If you don't want a small town is Fayetteville the place to go?

schddog72
04-07-2024, 03:49 PM

Huh???

msstate7
04-07-2024, 03:51 PM
Huh???

Bucky McMillan of Samford

BuckyIsAB****
04-07-2024, 03:57 PM
It?s me

NCMSTFAN
04-07-2024, 04:01 PM
If this is true and he is interviewing its over with us even if he doesn't get hired. How could he come back to the team and face the players, admin and fans with everyone knowing he is trying to get out. We need to be looking for a new coach right now! Will Wade sounds good to me but would he be interested?

msudawg1200
04-07-2024, 04:23 PM
I hope he leaves. No one will be fired up over basketball knowing he wants out. As far as emphasizing football goes that would be fine with me. But you know State will try to get a good coach and compete.

Yeah, he needs to go whether Arkansas hires him or not. If he doesn't get the job and comes back he'll spew the rah rah "I'm all Dawg" bs, but his arse can kick rocks and pound sand. If we ain't good enough get the eff out. He's dead to me now.

maroonmania
04-07-2024, 04:34 PM
If this is true and he is interviewing its over with us even if he doesn't get hired. How could he come back to the team and face the players, admin and fans with everyone knowing he is trying to get out. We need to be looking for a new coach right now! Will Wade sounds good to me but would he be interested?

Mullen apparently didn't have any trouble coming back and facing the players. But seriously, Jans is not a top line recruiter any way so I don't see how this would help get the players he needs.

NCMSTFAN
04-07-2024, 04:36 PM
Mullen apparently didn't have any trouble coming back and facing the players. But seriously, Jans is not a top line recruiter any way so I don't see how this would help get the players he needs.

Refresh my memory, did Mullen interview for another job and get turned down then returned? I'm not saying you're wrong I just don't remember that. If so was it public knowledge that he was interviewing?

Coach34
04-07-2024, 04:44 PM
Refresh my memory, did Mullen interview for another job and get turned down then returned? I'm not saying you're wrong I just don't remember that. If so was it public knowledge that he was interviewing?

Miami

Interviewed before the Egg Bowl. THought he had it locked down and was taking Manny with him. Richt snaked him late and got it- and also took Manny

NCMSTFAN
04-07-2024, 04:49 PM
Miami

Interviewed before the Egg Bowl. THought he had it locked down and was taking Manny with him. Richt snaked him late and got it- and also took Manny

Oh ok, I don't remember that. Regardless I don't want Jans back at all! I hope he gets the job, I don't want anyone at State that doesn't want to be there. The fact that he is interviewing for another job affects current players, signees and recruits.. they are all probably thinking about the transfer portal right now and I can't really blame them

Goldendawg
04-07-2024, 05:41 PM
Yeah, he needs to go whether Arkansas hires him or not. If he doesn't get the job and comes back he'll spew the rah rah "I'm all Dawg" bs, but his arse can kick rocks and pound sand. If we ain't good enough get the eff out. He's dead to me now.

Same here. I don't need Mullen 2.0. If he interviewed, "Good Riddance". Be all in or be gone.

Goldendawg
04-07-2024, 05:50 PM

Except for Hubbard falling into his lap, he has brought in no one who made a difference his two years here. Has won with Howland's recruits and most are gone next year. Good riddance "Dan 2.0".

NCMSTFAN
04-07-2024, 06:18 PM
Except for Hubbard falling into his lap, he has brought in no one who made a difference his two years here. Has won with Howland's recruits and most are gone next year. Good riddance "Dan 2.0".

Thats a really good point. Other than Hubbard, who has he brought in thats made an impact? No one! And he was lucky to get Hubbard because of Ole Miss' coaching change

MoreCowbell
04-07-2024, 06:18 PM

Ark is definitely a better job but damn what a risky move by Jans. If he does not get it he just 17ed himself. What players will want to stay now? And fan support will die

CaptainObvious
04-07-2024, 06:35 PM
Anybody think maybe Selmon and Bailey Howell told him to look around because he is a short timer here?

NCMSTFAN
04-07-2024, 06:57 PM
Anybody think maybe Selmon and Bailey Howell told him to look around because he is a short timer here?

I highly doubt that. Unless there is something going on that we don't know about, he took us to the tournament 2 times in two years.. Howland got us there once in 7 years.
Jans can coach defense but he can't recruit so that will be an issue for him. I just hope he leaves, I lost all respect for him. If you are interviewing for a job that means he is not happy or content where he is. He has to go

PGHBulldogBG
04-07-2024, 07:14 PM
This is really bad timing for us so late into the year because all the good coaches got scooped up. This is definitely not good at all no matter the outcome.

civildawg
04-07-2024, 07:45 PM
Honestly I wouldn't be mad if he interviewed, but to let this get out is really unforgivable in my eyes. You can't let an interview be out in the public just in case you don't get it

NCMSTFAN
04-07-2024, 07:57 PM
Honestly I wouldn't be mad if he interviewed, but to let this get out is really unforgivable in my eyes. You can't let an interview be out in the public just in case you don't get it

Agree 100%

Coach34
04-07-2024, 08:02 PM

No. We want him to stay awhile. But he doesnt want that

maroonmania
04-07-2024, 08:31 PM
No. We want him to stay awhile. But he doesnt want that

What is his biggest hangup? Just Starkville itself or something specific with the program? I have not been very impressed with Jans recruiting. Without what Howland left behind there would not have been 2 trips to the NCAA tourney.

sleepy dawg
04-07-2024, 08:40 PM
We need to give Jans a raise and put an end to this.

msstate7
04-07-2024, 08:52 PM
We need to give Jans a raise and put an end to this.

I wanna keep em too.

Coach34
04-07-2024, 08:56 PM
What is his biggest hangup? Just Starkville itself or something specific with the program? I have not been very impressed with Jans recruiting. Without what Howland left behind there would not have been 2 trips to the NCAA tourney.

Doesnt like StarkVegas
Wants unlimited NIL

civildawg
04-07-2024, 09:02 PM
Doesnt like StarkVegas
Wants unlimited NIL

1. Ok that's fine.
2. LOL only a handful of schools have unlimited NIL for basketball. Even if we did have unlimited NIL, Jans ass couldn't recruit the players needed. He's brought in ONE player that has made an impact in two years and his ass got lucky Kirby got fired to get him.

Bothrops
04-07-2024, 11:55 PM
Nm

HaggardDawg
04-08-2024, 06:52 AM
If Jans left I?d definitely interview Chris Holtmann. Last 7 at Ohio state. Now at DePaul. Has family in Jackson.

msstate7
04-08-2024, 06:57 AM
I have a hard time seeing Jans leave this offseason now. Wanna leave Jans? Get us to the sweet 16 next year, and you will have options

civildawg
04-08-2024, 07:38 AM
I have a hard time seeing Jans leave this offseason now. Wanna leave Jans? Get us to the sweet 16 next year, and you will have options

I agree. Win a freaking tournament game and leave. The only problem now is fan/booster support. You betray your fans like this and now you may really have a problem getting people to the games. Like I said earlier, it's not that he interviewed, it's letting it get out in the public.

Pancho
04-08-2024, 07:48 AM
No issues now

BeardoMSU
04-08-2024, 07:48 AM
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1777174492034601010

Leroy Jenkins
04-08-2024, 09:38 AM
Jan's shopping himself every off season. Is he Dan Jans or Chris Mullen?

msstate7
04-08-2024, 10:01 AM
Jan's shopping himself every off season. Is he Dan Jans or Chris Mullen?

Isn't it great to have a coach that teams are interested in? Were we loyal to arnett? Hell no bc this is a business, not a marriage

MabenMaroon
04-08-2024, 10:47 AM
Isn't it great to have a coach that teams are interested in? Were we loyal to arnett? Hell no bc this is a business, not a marriage

Somebody sees this with non-maroon shaded glasses. I am glad folks think enough of Coach Jans to request an interview.

As far as the Fayetteville/Rogers/Bentonville metro area goes, it blows Starkville away in most quality of living categories, benefits and amenities ( I have lived in Oktibbeha County for 44 years and love it here and have retired here ) but if someone had offered me a 50+% pay increase to move to that area back when I was in the work force it would have been adios see ya later....

maroonmania
04-08-2024, 11:09 AM
I agree. Win a freaking tournament game and leave. The only problem now is fan/booster support. You betray your fans like this and now you may really have a problem getting people to the games. Like I said earlier, it's not that he interviewed, it's letting it get out in the public.

Plus Jans, who isn't a great recruiter anyway, is making it harder on himself AND US to elevate our program. How many high profile guys are going to want to transfer in or sign and play for a coach trying to leave? That's what always got me about Mullen never understanding when he was job shopping in December while also trying to recruit. Do coaches not understand that word gets out or more likely just don't care?

Liverpooldawg
04-08-2024, 11:18 AM
Y'all are looking for a unicorn. A successful coach here is always going to be talked about for other jobs. If you want to keep one forever and never have any talk about him leaving, then all you have to do is lose. If we are winning there will be talk. I'd rather have the talk.

maroonmania
04-08-2024, 11:52 AM
Y'all are looking for a unicorn. A successful coach here is always going to be talked about for other jobs. If you want to keep one forever and never have any talk about him leaving, then all you have to do is lose. If we are winning there will be talk. I'd rather have the talk.

I guess we are looking for another Rick Stansbury at MSU who was quite successful during his early years here but who spent his off-seasons chasing recruits over chasing other jobs. I know that is not easy to find these days though.

CaptainObvious
04-12-2024, 01:24 PM
Ole Miss had that in Kennedy(unicorn). Beard will be in the first train out as dominoes fall the right way on the next big opening.

msstate7
04-12-2024, 01:32 PM
Delete