PDA

View Full Version : Have most of you given up on football ?

Offshore Dawg
04-05-2024, 07:52 AM
There has been almost zero discussion about spring practices. Have the expectations gone down so low that the sport is a non-entity around here.

Quaoarsking
04-05-2024, 07:59 AM
No, I expect to start a new 13-year bowl streak this fall.

viverlibre
04-05-2024, 08:06 AM
No sir, not at all. I'm bullish, looking for 6-6 in 2024 and then improvement for there. I like the new coach.

I've never been into spring practice or recruiting, although I do understand how important both are.

RockyDog
04-05-2024, 08:16 AM
Practice? Nothin to see there

BrunswickDawg
04-05-2024, 08:23 AM
Discuss something we can't go see and barely get any reports about??? That would be productive, fact based debate****

confucius say
04-05-2024, 08:23 AM
Not according to the over under thread. Every comment has us going over. Lot of optimism around here.

Santiago
04-05-2024, 08:41 AM
I am excited for Lebby, but more burned out on how the past staff was put on us with praise when we clearly could see the HC was over his head.
Ready for results.

Commercecomet24
04-05-2024, 08:58 AM
Heck I'm excited about Coach Lebby and hopefully getting to watch a competent offense and a team that plays hard. Yeah I'm good

bigbub50
04-05-2024, 09:04 AM
I love practice rumors but we got burned last year hearing about how good Barbays offense was looking. Likely the reason they were looking so good was because they were going against our defense.

TrapGame
04-05-2024, 09:07 AM
Football is the only thing a give a shit about. That's why I don't partake in the baseball and basketball threads. Those sports just don't get me fired up like football. And honestly, I can only take so much heartbreak from one sport anyway.

I'm really looking forward to see what this team looks like year one of the Lebby Era. I'm not excited yet but I will be come August. If we can manage 6-6 and look good in most of the losses, I'll be happy for year one.

Lord McBuckethead
04-05-2024, 09:10 AM
Yeah. Pretty much. We missed a huge opportunity with the start of NIL. Our fanbase is just not big enough to maintain the spending required to get the best when we play in the same conference as Oklahoma, Texas, LSU, Alabama, Georgia, and aTm. We are even further behind the curve now.
Thanks Joe Morehead.

Matt3467
04-05-2024, 09:26 AM
Practice? We talking about practice? Not a game. Practice?

StarkVegasSteve
04-05-2024, 09:33 AM
I am waiting to see what we look like on Sept. 21 against Florida. Toledo and ASU will definitely be challenging but we have better athletes at almost every position than those teams. Just like I said last year, if I have a comment on the offense before game 4 then that is not good.

preachermatt83
04-05-2024, 09:41 AM
I’m excited about Lebby. I’m hoping for 6-6 this season and getting better each year after
That. The best thing about him seems to be his tireless recruiting. HOWEVER, nobody wants to say it but I will, the one thing affecting many fans right now is Lane Kiffin. The dude can flat out do it and he’s at our rival school. He’s doing all the right things at OM and they are lapping us. It’s got a lot of fans discouraged. Again, nobody wants to say it but it’s def affected our fanbase’s excitement. We have to take our focus off of them and just focus on us. But it’s hard to do that when they are doing what they are doing at om.

Todd4State
04-05-2024, 09:43 AM
I am excited for Lebby, but more burned out on how the past staff was put on us with praise when we clearly could see the HC was over his head.
Ready for results.

There was a lot of agenda from certain people at that time.

TrapGame
04-05-2024, 10:02 AM
I am waiting to see what we look like on Sept. 21 against Florida. Toledo and ASU will definitely be challenging but we have better athletes at almost every position than those teams. Just like I said last year, if I have a comment on the offense before game 4 then that is not good.

Toledo and ASU will be good measures for year one. I think we can out talent them. Now Florida could be that upset game that gets people talking. I'm not sold on Sunbelt Billy. He's a mediocre coach. Unfortunately, if we beat the breaks off Florida they may pull a Brinks truck up to Lebby's house at the end of the season.

Coach34
04-05-2024, 10:07 AM

Agree- this is the huge game for us

Sunbelt Billy is on the chopping block and has to beat us. Would rather play them later when things probably start going South for him.

ArrowDawg
04-05-2024, 10:20 AM
I’m excited about Lebby. I’m hoping for 6-6 this season and getting better each year after
That. The best thing about him seems to be his tireless recruiting. HOWEVER, nobody wants to say it but I will, the one thing affecting many fans right now is Lane Kiffin. The dude can flat out do it and he’s at our rival school. He’s doing all the right things at OM and they are lapping us. It’s got a lot of fans discouraged. Again, nobody wants to say it but it’s def affected our fanbase’s excitement. We have to take our focus off of them and just focus on us. But it’s hard to do that when they are doing what they are doing at om.

That's exactly it.

viverlibre
04-05-2024, 10:41 AM

Lane is a good coach and we have accept that he may be there for a long time. Hopefully a desirable NFL job comes calling, I don't see him moving on to another college job. Hopefully their success will drive us to succeed.

CaptainObvious
04-05-2024, 10:53 AM
Lane is a good coach and we have accept that he may be there for a long time. Hopefully a desirable NFL job comes calling, I don't see him moving on to another college job. Hopefully their success will drive us to succeed.

I do think Lane may be at a salary level now that only a Top 5 program would pay him to leave Ole Miss. There will be no more lateral moves or (downward moves if he gets caught in bed with a dead girl or live boy) so Lane may be in his Retirement Home.

Coach34
04-05-2024, 10:53 AM
Lame Kitten doesnt really bother me. He is doing a very good job there but most of my angst is about the rest of the SEC getting tougher and tougher. Bama/Georgia have been the dominant but Tenn is up as well. Add OU and Texas now. Freezus will make Auburn solid. A&M likely stays solid. SC likely stays solid. Mizzou is playing good ball.

It's getting harder and harder to stay in the middle

R2Dawg
04-05-2024, 11:30 AM
To OP, nope but not hearing much from spring.

Be something to talk about after spring game but even then only tempered. Question will be, boy O looked great or are we concerned about D or boy the D is gonna be better than we thought or is it O is learning a new system, etc. But I look more at personnel in spring vs O or D output. You can't hide individual talent but O and D statistics can be mileading.

Saltydog
04-05-2024, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure if it's giving up but I just don't have the vested interest in it like I used to. NIL, etc. has just transformed the game into a product that a lot of people are just kinda getting fed up with and it's not just me, I hear this sentiment a lot.

Goldendawg
04-05-2024, 11:51 AM
There has been almost zero discussion about spring practices. Have the expectations gone down so low that the sport is a non-entity around here.

Hail No! Win or lose, not until they remove my 45 year old cowbell that my late SuperDawg Dad had made for me from my cold, stiff hand to put in my maroon and white casket with me! BTW, read Lebby is keeping details from Spring practice close to the vest and I'm good with that. He has noted Spring Game will be 1's on 2's & 2's on 1's with special scoring systems. Sounds good to me.

CaptainObvious
04-05-2024, 11:58 AM
Lame Kitten doesnt really bother me. He is doing a very good job there but most of my angst is about the rest of the SEC getting tougher and tougher. Bama/Georgia have been the dominant but Tenn is up as well. Add OU and Texas now. Freezus will make Auburn solid. A&M likely stays solid. SC likely stays solid. Mizzou is playing good ball.

It's getting harder and harder to stay in the middle

Do you suggest we focus more on Basketball and Baseball with our meager funding program because we don't have the funds to keep up in football. Just let football be a nice social event for fans to gather on game day and accept that 5-7 and 6-6 will be the norm going forward with an occasional bowl trip?

Or wait for one of our supporters to win the $Billion lottery and donate half to MSU athletics?

R2Dawg
04-05-2024, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure if it's giving up but I just don't have the vested interest in it like I used to. NIL, etc. has just transformed the game into a product that a lot of people are just kinda getting fed up with and it's not just me, I hear this sentiment a lot.

Agree with this. It has affected my interest and care but I'm True Maroon and will always support my school.

R2Dawg
04-05-2024, 12:12 PM
Hail No! Win or lose, not until they remove my 45 year old cowbell that my late SuperDawg Dad had made for me from my cold, stiff hand to put in my maroon and white casket with me! BTW, read Lebby is keeping details from Spring practice close to the vest and I'm good with that. He has noted Spring Game will be 1's on 2's & 2's on 1's with special scoring systems. Sounds good to me.

Same here gold.....

Coach34
04-05-2024, 12:25 PM
Do you suggest we focus more on Basketball and Baseball with our meager funding program because we don't have the funds to keep up in football. Just let football be a nice social event for fans to gather on game day and accept that 5-7 and 6-6 will be the norm going forward with an occasional bowl trip?

Or wait for one of our supporters to win the $Billion lottery and donate half to MSU athletics?

I really dont know the answer. We have to keep trying in football because inevitably football is what pays alot of the bills. But its going to get tougher and tougher. With the talk yesterday of a new 80 team "Superconference"- we have to work to make sure we stay part of that. That's where the money will be. I like the 80 team Superconference idea and then hopefully NIL will transition into something that isnt gouging us- the everyday fan

confucius say
04-05-2024, 12:28 PM

No. You get a really good offensive coach who can get really good QB play. Any competent recruiting staff here can get enough athletes on defense to keep you competitive if you get the QB position right and a good offensive coach.

Todd4State
04-05-2024, 12:49 PM
Fans typically aren't going to be fired up about "rebuilding" seasons coming off of a bad season.

Even if odds are we will be better.

viverlibre
04-05-2024, 12:52 PM
I really dont know the answer. We have to keep trying in football because inevitably football is what pays alot of the bills. But its going to get tougher and tougher. With the talk yesterday of a new 80 team "Superconference"- we have to work to make sure we stay part of that. That's where the money will be. I like the 80 team Superconference idea and then hopefully NIL will transition into something that isnt gouging us- the everyday fan

The 80 team super conference stuff is just clickbait. It doesn't take much brain power to understand that the SEC and Big 10 run CFB. Neither are giving up any power. These two conferences will stay intact (and maybe add a highly derisible team or two like UNC or FSU). Other divisions/conferences will be part of it, but second tier. ND will likely stay independent, but have a voice at the table, they will likely continue to negotiate their own football media deal(s). Lower tier teams in the ACC/Big 12 should be concerned.

CaptainObvious
04-05-2024, 12:54 PM

Yes. I'm with you on that. We need to stay in the Top group. I just don't want us to always be the whipping boy "Tied To The Whipping Post!" It just isn't fun to me to go watch us get pounded in to submission by the big boys even when we do win enough to make a small bowl. I will continue to travel to those bowls as long as state makes them because it is like a second vacation trip at Christmas time for us. But Competitive is not enough if State is still losing. I want to go watch State beat Arkansas, Missouri, Vandy, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, A&M, Kentucky, USCe, ole miss and Florida and occasionally Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama and Georgia!

Coach34
04-05-2024, 01:01 PM
The 80 team super conference stuff is just clickbait. It doesn't take much brain power to understand that the SEC and Big 10 run CFB. Neither are giving up any power. These two conferences will stay intact (and maybe add a highly derisible team or two like UNC or FSU). Other divisions/conferences will be part of it, but second tier. ND will likely stay independent, but have a voice at the table, they will likely continue to negotiate their own football media deal(s). Lower tier teams in the ACC/Big 12 should be concerned.

I disagree. Some type of change is coming sooner rather than later. What's going on now is not sustainable

TaleofTwoDogs
04-05-2024, 01:14 PM

Why bother? It's always wash, rinse & repeat. There was a time when I couldn't wait for the latest buzz from the board's insiders, but not so much now as apathy has set in, especially in today's college football world. 2014 was our only and greatest hope but we botched that one. Even if we had won a natty in 2014, we probably would have gone 4-8 or 3-9 the next couple of years after, that's the State way.

viverlibre
04-05-2024, 01:24 PM
I disagree. Some type of change is coming sooner rather than later. What's going on now is not sustainable

I don't understand this augment, CFB is more popular than ever. 2023 was likely the best season in history and 2024 will be even better. The 12 team playoff will be huge. CFB will get even more popular. The money will even out, eventually dollar figures will be assigned to positions, but like draft picks, small market teams will have to play money ball. We're not going to win a natty anyway but that doesn't mean we can't go 7-5/8-4 most years and challenge for a playoff berth periodically. There may not be 100+ teams trying to play big team football and there never should have been that many. It'll settle out at 60ish teams, the same teams that won in the past will continue to win. In person attendance will continue to trend down, but TV viewership will remain strong and increase.

I'm sure during integration folks were screaming, "CFB is dead!" There was an adjustment period, but the product was much better in the long run. Change comes to everything, it doesn't mean doom.

Todd4State
04-05-2024, 02:26 PM
I don't understand this augment, CFB is more popular than ever. 2023 was likely the best season in history and 2024 will be even better. The 12 team playoff will be huge. CFB will get even more popular. The money will even out, eventually dollar figures will be assigned to positions, but like draft picks, small market teams will have to play money ball. We're not going to win a natty anyway but that doesn't mean we can't go 7-5/8-4 most years and challenge for a playoff berth periodically. There may not be 100+ teams trying to play big team football and there never should have been that many. It'll settle out at 60ish teams, the same teams that won in the past will continue to win. In person attendance will continue to trend down, but TV viewership will remain strong and increase.

I'm sure during integration folks were screaming, "CFB is dead!" There was an adjustment period, but the product was much better in the long run. Change comes to everything, it doesn't mean doom.

2023 was the best ever? What? I'm not saying change is all bad or good but that's a stretch.

Todd4State
04-05-2024, 02:29 PM

Eventually players are going to be paid by booster clubs through university's instead of by fans through collectives.

That's what our future Bulldog Club is going to be if I had to guess. Probably with Charlie Winfield managing it.

Coach34
04-05-2024, 02:36 PM
2023 was the best ever? What? I'm not saying change is all bad or good but that's a stretch.

yeah not sure where that comes from. Attendance is down and other factors affecting it as well.

Here is what I am talking about:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3509272/a-group-of-college-presidents-and-sports-executives-has-devised-a-plan-for-an-80-team-college-football-super-league

When Presidents start supporting something- change is coming

viverlibre
04-05-2024, 03:14 PM
yeah not sure where that comes from. Attendance is down and other factors affecting it as well.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3509272/a-group-of-college-presidents-and-sports-executives-has-devised-a-plan-for-an-80-team-college-football-super-league

Attendance means little, it's been trending down for a long time in many sports and will continue. Look at viewership it is up and will increase.

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2023/12/espn-platforms-boast-banner-year-for-college-football-as-abc-leads-the-way-with-most-total-minutes-watched-and-espn-streams-the-platforms-most-watched-season-ever/

I didn't see anyone from the SEC/Big 10 quoted, when powerbrokers from the Big 2 start chiming in, you'll know something is coming.

There are more and more entertainment options competing for our eyeballs, that CFB ratings remain strong is huge.

Thick
04-05-2024, 03:23 PM
Attendance means little? Not sure that is correct. What kids want to play in empty stadiums?

viverlibre
04-05-2024, 03:40 PM
Attendance means little? Not sure that is correct. What kids want to play in empty stadiums?

To the bottom line. Many MLB parks are almost empty. I don't mean no one will attend, but overall attendance will continue to trend down. I'm for beginning to rip out bleachers and convert the lower deck to chair backs. Bring capacity down to 50k or so.

There are so many more things vying for our Saturdays these days, kids activities and not being able to watch as many other games are two big ones. For many of us attending a game is a full day (or possibly full weekend). I'd completely revamp our game day experience from soup to nuts.

Todd4State
04-05-2024, 03:47 PM

Those they want to play for USM.**

confucius say
04-05-2024, 03:52 PM
Changes coming.
But the 80 team super league peddled by non Big10 and non sec is a red herring.
The sec and Big10 will break away. Probably be some others come with that they allow.
Solves the antitrust issue.

viverlibre
04-05-2024, 04:16 PM
Changes coming.
But the 80 team super league peddled by non Big10 and non sec is a red herring.
The sec and Big10 will break away. Probably be some others come with that they allow.
Solves the antitrust issue.

Concur, only the simple fell for that. Whatever happens will be at the direction of, and to the benefit of, the Big 2.

Ranchdawg
04-05-2024, 06:35 PM
Sorry brothers but I?m just really apathetic towards football. Not necessarily in the correct order.
1. Cost it?s really gotten really stupid expensive. Bulldog club payments, NIL donation, ticket prices, 2.5 hours one way, lodging in Starkville.
2. Only sniffed at a championship once.
3. Every game I can sit in the comfort of my home and my easy chair watch on tv.
4. And I?m on the back side of 60. And I?ve done it my entire adult life.
5. NIL and transfer portal is BS imo before the NIL we hand a chance to get players and win meaningful games. Today we have no chance.
What ole miss does or doesn?t do really doesn?t effect my apathy for State football.

R2Dawg
04-05-2024, 09:03 PM

I've heard from TV viewership but that just goes to show that combined with lowering attendance that fans and choosing to watch on TV for free. The ballon can't continue to go. People will still watch if it is free but I don't know anyone that likes what has been going on in recent years. I still go to games but I ain't spending any more money. I stay in camper and no extra money for other stuff but I still enjoy rooting for my school at least for now.

CaptainObvious
04-05-2024, 10:16 PM
We are either going to have to pay to stream games eventually or pay per view to watch them on TV. There is no way all these TV viewers went out and bought every item advertised during the 3.5 minute commercials.

As far as ticket prices, the Fans of the big boys will keep paying to go no matter how high the prices go. But for us peon schools, there will be a point of diminishing returns. And I fear the average State fan has already been priced out. Soon they will either have to make upper deck tickets family package deals or just create big banners to cover the Empty seats or use the Covid Cardboard cutouts to make the seats look full. Vivre mentioned downsizing and chair backing the lower bowl to cut capacity to 50,000. That would be nice but the seats would be $1000 a season plus BDC or Collective fees to pay for it and the average family of 4 is still priced out.

BuckyIsAB****
04-06-2024, 06:43 AM

I care less now than I ever have. I used to would never ever miss a snap or a pitch. When someone wanted to know what time we were playing I knew a week ahead. but now? I watched about 3 innings last night. I turned 3 of our football games off last year. It made Nick Saban decide to hang it up. All that needs to be said. If you think you know how bad it is, it?s worse

BuckyIsAB****
04-06-2024, 06:47 AM

Man. You would be shocked because I know you want to do things the right way. But 90-95 percent of these kids dont give a shit who is there. They want $ and dont care who wins or loses

R2Dawg
04-06-2024, 08:20 AM
Man. You would be shocked because I know you want to do things the right way. But 90-95 percent of these kids dont give a shit who is there. They want $ and dont care who wins or loses

I think this is probably true and why so many are disgusted with sports now. I have stood down and observed players after games, particularly a bad loss. Some are pissed and hurt but watched many joking, goofing off, laughing. Not saying they need to be slamming helmets but I wouldn't be happy bout a bad loss.

They just don't have the heart I want to see in my team. Love of money is root of all evil. These were kids getting paid too.

NIL, transfer, etc. just tools to enable player selfishness and don't give a crap.

viverlibre
04-06-2024, 10:03 AM
I think this is probably true and why so many are disgusted with sports now.

As far as football, viewership is up biggly, so I don't too many fans are "disgusted," at least not enough to stop watching and caring.

BigDawg81
04-06-2024, 10:26 AM
I hear that the defense plays fast, physical and currently ahead of the offense but also heard that Barbay ran an offense with explosive plays. We will see in the fall.

Goldendawg
04-06-2024, 11:42 AM
I care less now than I ever have. I used to would never ever miss a snap or a pitch. When someone wanted to know what time we were playing I knew a week ahead. but now? I watched about 3 innings last night. I turned 3 of our football games off last year. It made Nick Saban decide to hang it up. All that needs to be said. If you think you know how bad it is, it?s worse

Greedy overpaid coaches like Saben and the billions being made by the corrupt NCAA helped cause this. I can easily see how all the players especially in FB & MBB deserved a fair cut in the eyes of the courts. I reluctantly joined the BI (small quarterly amount, but hope it helps) and the Portal is a no rules joke. Some players been on 3 different teams in 3 years or 4 in 4. Bet their transcripts and progress toward a degree are a joke even though Charlie Winfield says we still watch and adhere to this. Saben quit because he could no longer stack 4 and 5 star players on his roster anymore waiting 3 or 4 years to play. Ruined the mega rich hypocrite's playhouse. They are no longer student athletes at all. Put them on contract and end this free agent portal mess. NFL at least has a salary cap and can lock players up for a few years under contract. Used to be fun to watch young players develop in 2 or 3 years to be good college players, When I was a kid, even attended Freshman football games (couldn't play varsity that year), and watched with interest and sometimes excitement to gauge upcoming talent of players. Now you need a program every spring to see who's playing for you & what other colleges they have abandoned $$$$$$$.

Goldendawg
04-06-2024, 12:15 PM
BTW: AD Greg Byrne recently stated bama lost $40 million on non-revenue producing sports. How do you justify NIL $ for these type programs compared to FB, MBB, and baseball and hockey at some conferences? Title 9 looks to be losing its power. Women's Olympic soccer demanded equal $ to the men no matter the interest or results of the product. This is all a mess.