PDA

View Full Version : adidas - unforced errors

Count Istvan Teleky
04-04-2024, 02:23 PM
Historically, I've been an adidas fan. Going back to learning about the conflict between the Dassler brothers, one forming adidas and the other Puma. In reading, you find what a cut-throat Adi was and how he always had a grudge against his brother. I'm digressing from what I wanted to say, though.

Having said I'm historically an adidas fan, I have to say now that I'm tired of them.

My main problems now are twofold:
1.They try to be edgy but fail. Their uniforms are not sophisticated at all. Like corny jokes - not really any good. Baseball uniforms that looked like pajamas, basketball uniforms that had the 'sash' around the waist, the baseball practice jerseys that had the F word in them, etc.
2.And I really hate this: the numerals. They look like elementary students drew them. Maybe it's the euro-design or something (see article) but they look stupid. Glance at a Will Rodgers number 2 versus a Nike 2. Horrible.

Now this:
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/02/style/germany-adidas-soccer-jersey-nazi-symbol-controversy-intl-hnk/index.html?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email&utm_placement=newsletter

They are a company of unforced errors, and we are a part of that not-so-funny comedy.

Sheesh.

BrunswickDawg
04-04-2024, 02:51 PM
Um, have you been keeping up with the NIKE/Fabletics MLB uni issues? They are suffering from the same type of design issues on top of sweat being highly visible.

The real issues are - uni companies have gone overboard trying to be edgy; they are chasing revenues by introducing too many products for each team; and they are going cheap on materials to try to maximize profits.
ALL of them are doing it.

Count Istvan Teleky
04-04-2024, 03:07 PM
Um, have you been keeping up with the NIKE/Fabletics MLB uni issues? They are suffering from the same type of design issues on top of sweat being highly visible.

The real issues are - uni companies have gone overboard trying to be edgy; they are chasing revenues by introducing too many products for each team; and they are going cheap on materials to try to maximize profits.

You make good points. I was vaguely aware of the MLB issues, but since that doesn't directly impact the Bulldogs, I didn't really think about it. The examples I used were directly from the MSU experience with adidas.

I will say that what I've seen for MSU's football uniforms for the fall look good with the exception of the numerals.

Commercecomet24
04-04-2024, 03:20 PM

Yeah this all day. The mlb uniforms are insanely bad. You nailed it, they're all doing the same thing.

Lord McBuckethead
04-05-2024, 09:12 AM
Wasn't the guy who started Adidas a huge Nazi?

schddog72
04-05-2024, 07:59 PM
Wasn't the guy who started Adidas a huge Nazi?

Nike is all in with the Chinese commies so what's worse?