03-29-2024, 10:13 AM
Braves are STACKED this year. Super excited for this season

Pinto
03-29-2024, 10:16 AM
Pitching still concerns me

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2024, 10:30 AM

I think Chris Sale is exactly what we needed. Another quality arm that has postseason success. Only thing we could use some more bullpen help and another outfielder. Hopefully Arcia plays like he did last year.

RockyDog
03-29-2024, 10:31 AM
We will see. No doubt the Braves are a playoff team barring some catastrophic injuries. But do they run away with it or have a tight battle with the Phillies.

No doubt the Braves won't miss Eddie in LF. But do we get good, bad, or mediocre Adam? Does Kelenic do anything at all or is he a bust? Does Arcia regress at short? Was last year a mirage for Ozuna or does he return to 2022 form? Can we get 1st half Murphy for the entire season?

If Strider, Fried, Olson, Riley, Acuna, and Albies do their normal thing then all of these are minor concerns. But you gotta think that Matt and Ronald put up unreal numbers last year that you can't expect to replicate year after year.

Regardless it gonna be a fun season.

KOdawg1
03-29-2024, 10:33 AM
Why? 1-4, the Braves have the best pitching staff in the league. Strider, Fried, Sale, Morton is damn good. Reynaldo Lopez is the 5th starter and he has tremendous upside, it'll just come down to how he performs as a starter.

The bullpen is stacked too.

Only thing that could hurt the Braves is injuries but that's true for every team.

Tbonewannabe
03-29-2024, 10:35 AM
We will see. No doubt the Braves are a playoff team barring some catastrophic injuries. But do they run away with it or have a tight battle with the Phillies.

No doubt the Braves won't miss Eddie in LF. But do we get good, bad, or mediocre Adam? Does Kelenic do anything at all or is he a bust? Does Arcia regress at short? Was last year a mirage for Ozuna or does he return to 2022 form? Can we get 1st half Murphy for the entire season?

If Strider, Fried, Olson, Riley, Acuna, and Albies do their normal thing then all of these are minor concerns. But you gotta think that Matt and Ronald put up unreal numbers last year that you can't expect to replicate year after year.

Regardless it gonna be a fun season.

I am anxious to see how Strider does. I haven't watched any Spring training but he supposedly has a devastating curveball now to go with 100 heater.

msstate7
03-29-2024, 11:15 AM
Braves are the best team in baseball. Hopefully they're hot in October... that's all that matters for a championship - rangers 2023 and braves 2021 are good examples; neither were the best teams their years

BrunswickDawg
03-29-2024, 12:37 PM
I am anxious to see how Strider does. I haven't watched any Spring training but he supposedly has a devastating curveball now to go with 100 heater.

Watching his new curve reminded me of watching Nolan Ryan. It just buckles your knees and there is nothing you can do about it. Nolan was more of the traditional 12-6, but the effect is just as devastating.

Commercecomet24
03-29-2024, 01:56 PM
Let's GO!

KOdawg1
03-29-2024, 02:48 PM
Strider's curve is making guys look silly so far

RockyDog
03-29-2024, 03:56 PM
Duvall! Gotta love it.

Unfortunately it looks like Murphy may be out for a while

msstate7
03-29-2024, 04:00 PM
Duvall! Gotta love it.

Unfortunately it looks like Murphy may be out for a while

Sucks, but early in season, so not a killer

RockyDog
03-29-2024, 04:14 PM
You have to love the wisdom of Major League Baseball. These guys have been playing games in Florida and Arizona for over a month and then you schedule openers in New York, Philly, Chicago and Baltimore

Commercecomet24
03-29-2024, 04:37 PM
Braves have opened up a can!

RockyDog
03-30-2024, 04:07 PM
THAT is why you let Fried walk. Even though he got hosed on a strike 3 RIGHT down the middle, he’s not a 20 or 30 million per year pitcher. Terrible effort.

MaroonFlounder
03-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Damn Fried got screwed there.

Commercecomet24
03-30-2024, 04:19 PM
This Braves team is relentless

KOdawg1
03-30-2024, 04:24 PM
Didn't have Max Fried and Aaron Nola giving up a combined 8 runs in less than 2 innings on my bingo card

Commercecomet24
03-30-2024, 04:37 PM
Didn't have Max Fried and Aaron Nola giving up a combined 8 runs in less than 2 innings on my bingo card

Lol got that right! They both always struggle early. Kinda like power hitters

Commercecomet24
03-30-2024, 04:38 PM
Glad we got uncle Jessie back. Dude knows how to pitch and eats innings!

RockyDog
03-30-2024, 04:50 PM
I still like the Braves to run away with the division. Wheeler and Nola are good pitchers but in today’s age of baseball all you gotta do is keep it close until the 5th inning and attack the opposing bullpen. The Braves are built for that.

Bohm is trash at third and the Phillies outfielders have little league arms. That being said I’d rather play anybody else in the postseason.

msstate7
03-30-2024, 04:55 PM
Signing fried to an extension is a moot point imo bc I think he's headed west. I would absolutely sign him at 20 million though. Bad games happen to every pitcher

Tbonewannabe
03-31-2024, 06:29 PM
Signing fried to an extension is a moot point imo bc I think he's headed west. I would absolutely sign him at 20 million though. Bad games happen to every pitcher

Yep, seems Fried has his eyes set on the West Coast. I really hate that.

Can we trade him to the Angels and hope he sticks? I am going to really hate him in a Dodgers uniform.

Political Hack
04-01-2024, 04:07 PM
We could leverage a pitcher right now if we need to, but there's not much to gain unless your rotation somehow gets deeper dealing Fried.

I'll take the Bravos Catchers, primary IF, and 2/3 of the OF over damn near any team in the bigs right now.

Political Hack
04-01-2024, 04:08 PM
Glad we got uncle Jessie back. Dude knows how to pitch and eats innings!

Only for the Braves though! It's crazy how good he is as a Brave.

RockyDog
04-01-2024, 06:20 PM
It’s early but Kelenick has been good. If he and Duvall can combine for 30 HR and 80-90 RBI in the LF spot, this team could be unstoppable.

The Dodgers have spent a ton of money but there is no team close to the Braves 1 thru 9, and I dare say the rotation outclasses most others too

Commercecomet24
04-01-2024, 07:37 PM
Only for the Braves though! It's crazy how good he is as a Brave.

It is amazing! I'm surprised the Braves didn't retain him after last year. He was great before the injury.

Commercecomet24
04-01-2024, 07:37 PM
It’s early but Kelenick has been good. If he and Duvall can combine for 30 HR and 80-90 RBI in the LF spot, this team could be unstoppable.

The Dodgers have spent a ton of money but there is no team close to the Braves 1 thru 9, and I dare say the rotation outclasses most others too

I agree.

Commercecomet24
04-01-2024, 07:38 PM
We could leverage a pitcher right now if we need to, but there's not much to gain unless your rotation somehow gets deeper dealing Fried.

I'll take the Bravos Catchers, primary IF, and 2/3 of the OF over damn near any team in the bigs right now.

Yep and good to see you posting, Hack!

RockyDog
04-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Uh oh. Strider is going in for an MRI on his elbow. You just had to know this was coming at some point. I guess it’s a good thing that AA didn’t spend $ on Giolito too. I really wish he had pulled the trigger on Montgomery. You would have been the perfect fit for this group and the DBacks ended up getting him for dirt cheap.

BoomBoom
04-06-2024, 02:14 PM
Uh oh. Strider is going in for an MRI on his elbow. You just had to know this was coming at some point. I guess it?s a good thing that AA didn?t spend $ on Giolito too. I really wish he had pulled the trigger on Montgomery. You would have been the perfect fit for this group and the DBacks ended up getting him for dirt cheap.

It's just a gamble you have to take these days. If it's TJ for Strider, they'll pick somebody up mid-season.

Pinto
04-06-2024, 03:21 PM
Strider has a tear in his tendon in right elbow.

msstate7
04-06-2024, 03:24 PM
Sucks, but season isn't over. Braves won a WS the same year they lost Acuna for the year. Gotta baby sale and fried some

trob115
04-06-2024, 03:26 PM
Need to go sign Trevor Bauer now.

KOdawg1
04-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Probably will wait until the all star break to pick up a top arm from a team that's selling.

This is still a top 3 team even without Strider

msstate7
04-06-2024, 03:28 PM
Need to go sign Trevor Bauer now.

No way they do it, but man, that would be one hell of a replacement. I wonder if mlb has silently let it be known Bauer is off limits... if so, tell mlb if they let ohtani gamble, we getting Bauer haha

trob115
04-06-2024, 03:30 PM
I would sign Bauer because he doesn't cost anything in prospect capital. A one year prove it deal at MLB minimum and I bet he would accept it just to be back in the league. I bet AA doesn't do it though

msstate7
04-06-2024, 03:30 PM
Probably will wait until the all star break to pick up a top arm from a team that's selling.

This is still a top 3 team even without Strider

You need 3 starters in the playoffs. If they started today, sale, fried, and Morton/lopez is probably as good as anyone. I thought our 3 with strider was the best. Gotta keep sale and fried healthy

KOdawg1
04-06-2024, 03:33 PM
You need 3 starters in the playoffs. If they started today, sale, fried, and Morton/lopez is probably as good as anyone. I thought our 3 with strider was the best. Gotta keep sale and fried healthy

I don't trust Sale to stay healthy

msstate7
04-06-2024, 03:38 PM
I don't trust Sale to stay healthy

Maybe not, but I don't trust any pitcher to stay healthy.

Playoffs are totally random now it seems... Braves had 1 starter in 2021 that was reliable unless you count Morton who got hurt in the playoffs. Rangers basically has 1 in Montgomery unless you count the shadow of scherzer

Commercecomet24
04-06-2024, 03:49 PM
Maybe not, but I don't trust any pitcher to stay healthy.

Playoffs are totally random now it seems... Braves had 1 starter in 2021 that was reliable unless you count Morton who got hurt in the playoffs. Rangers basically has 1 in Montgomery unless you count the shadow of scherzer

100% right.

Commercecomet24
04-06-2024, 03:53 PM
Strider with ucl damage not tendon.

msstate7
04-06-2024, 03:53 PM
Strider with ucl damage not tendon.

What's the recovery time?

Commercecomet24
04-06-2024, 03:58 PM
What's the recovery time?

I just watched the release of the news. They didn't mention the extent of damage and said he would be further evaluated by a doctor in Texas. He's already had one Tommy John and I'm pretty sure he's gonna require a second one now. They may try to rehab without surgery but he'll end up having to have it done again.

MaroonFlounder
04-06-2024, 04:29 PM
Does Bryce Elder get called back up now with Strider on the shelf?

RockyDog
04-06-2024, 05:07 PM
UCL is pretty much Tommy John every time. He’s toast until mid season 2025. AA is going to have to change his ways and stop being a cheap little bitch and spend some money now.

msstate7
04-06-2024, 05:16 PM
UCL is pretty much Tommy John every time. He’s toast until mid season 2025. AA is going to have to change his ways and stop being a cheap little bitch and spend some money now.

Here's an example of not needing TJS today...

https://twitter.com/BryanHoch/status/1776699337210319307?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1776699337210319307%7Ctwgr% 5E8db2478794ee6444e8022d71503d3dc4ebd45611%7Ctwcon %5Es1_c10&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chopcountry.com%2Fforums% 2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D12063page%3D5

No idea if strider is in same boat

msstate7
04-06-2024, 05:50 PM
Does Bryce Elder get called back up now with Strider on the shelf?

He's pitching at Gwinnett now, so I say no. Maybe his next start is in Atlanta

RockyDog
04-06-2024, 07:20 PM
AA needs to do something fast. Fried sucks too

msstate7
04-06-2024, 07:23 PM
AA needs to do something fast. Fried sucks too

He can't do anything. No one is trading anyone worth a crap right now

ETA... fried has joined us now after 2 of the worst 1st innings I've ever saw

Commercecomet24
04-06-2024, 07:31 PM
He can't do anything. No one is trading anyone worth a crap right now

ETA... fried has joined us now after 2 of the worst 1st innings I've ever saw

This. The Braves will be just fine

RockyDog
04-06-2024, 09:36 PM
Definitely don’t need pitching against the DBacks. We will see about the Dodgers. The Braves offense is just elite. Ever since they cut down on the strike outs 2 years ago it’s been on another level.

Commercecomet24
04-07-2024, 12:01 AM
Definitely don’t need pitching against the DBacks. We will see about the Dodgers. The Braves offense is just elite. Ever since they cut down on the strike outs 2 years ago it’s been on another level.

They are relentless at the plate. They just don't get tight in any game and never are out of any game . Grinders!

KOdawg1
04-16-2024, 10:13 PM
Even with injuries from Strider, Murphy, and now Albies, the Braves are 11-5 and just took a series from the Astros on the road.

Team isn't even playing their best, but is off to a great start

Commercecomet24
04-16-2024, 10:21 PM
Even with injuries from Strider, Murphy, and now Albies, the Braves are 11-5 and just took a series from the Astros on the road.

Team isn't even playing their best, but is off to a great start

Braves gotta be the best 7-9th inning team in baseball. They literally knock teams out late!

KOdawg1
04-16-2024, 10:23 PM
Braves gotta be the best 7-9th inning team in baseball. They literally knock teams out late!
Yeah, what they did last night against Hader was impressive. Best reliever in baseball and they bullied that boy.

Just waiting on Ronnie to heat up and return to his mvp level. They'll be off and running when that happens

Commercecomet24
04-16-2024, 10:42 PM
Yeah, what they did last night against Hader was impressive. Best reliever in baseball and they bullied that boy.

Just waiting on Ronnie to heat up and return to his mvp level. They'll be off and running when that happens

You got that right! It's so cool to know that even if they get behind early and can look like crap at the plate that they have a big finishing kick. They're never out of a game. They play so loose and relaxed, like a bunch of 8 year olds playing coach pitch.

RockyDog
04-17-2024, 09:29 AM
The things the Braves have done to improve at the plate over the last couple of years is scary. Right now, they have the 2nd least number of strikeouts as a team in the league. The only regular hitting under .270 is TDA and they have driven in nearly 100 runs so far on only 16 homers.

It's sad that Strider went down so early because this team could have legit pushed for 110-115 wins. Losing him makes it more difficult to "save" Morton and Sale for the postseason. I just hope they can hold up for October.

KOdawg1
04-17-2024, 09:59 AM
The things the Braves have done to improve at the plate over the last couple of years is scary. Right now, they have the 2nd least number of strikeouts as a team in the league. The only regular hitting under .270 is TDA and they have driven in nearly 100 runs so far on only 16 homers.

It's sad that Strider went down so early because this team could have legit pushed for 110-115 wins. Losing him makes it more difficult to "save" Morton and Sale for the postseason. I just hope they can hold up for October.
Need to find a top of the rotation starter at the deadline.

The emergence of Lopez has been good. He's the 5th guy in the rotation and has a 0.50 ERA. So he sort of minimizes the hurt of losing Strider, but you need top tier guy for the playoffs to pair with Fried, Morton, and Sale, because odds are, one of them will get hurt right at or before playoff time

RockyDog
04-17-2024, 10:54 AM
Need to find a top of the rotation starter at the deadline.

The emergence of Lopez has been good. He's the 5th guy in the rotation and has a 0.50 ERA. So he sort of minimizes the hurt of losing Strider, but you need top tier guy for the playoffs to pair with Fried, Morton, and Sale, because odds are, one of them will get hurt right at or before playoff time

In theory, yes. But that's not going to happen under AA's watch. And I doubt there is going to be a top of the rotation starter that is just dangling out there at the deadline to begin with. He's going to grab a cheap 4th, 5th or 6th starter from one of the noncontenders like the White Sox, Pirates, or Royals. While he's struck some gold with reliever trades, not so much with starters. I think Tommy Milone and Jake Odorizzi are the only 2 i can remember.

The Braves were long rumored in the past for deadline guys like Tajuan Walker, Marcus Stroman, Chris Archer and it never happened.

I think the best you could probably hope for is somebody like Paul Blackburn with the As, maybe Kyle Freeland with the Rockies, but guys like that aren't near the level of Strider, or even Fried.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2024, 11:49 AM

I agree. The Strider injury really hurts. This is a team of professional hitters. Look in the dugout and these guys are always on tablets looking at abs and constantly making in game adjustments. They don't wait for the next game, they do it in game. I would love to see Smith-Shawver get a shot in the rotation or Waldrup(down the road). I know Waldrup has gotten beat up a little this year but the guy has top of the rotation stuff/potential. Amazing to that this team when someone goes down, it's just next man up and the others pickup the slack. It's fun to watch a real TEAM.

Commercecomet24
04-17-2024, 04:28 PM
Late inning magic again from the Braves

KOdawg1
04-17-2024, 04:28 PM
Come from behind win in extra innings to complete the sweep over Houston.

Love this team!

BoomBoom
04-19-2024, 11:29 AM
In theory, yes. But that's not going to happen under AA's watch. And I doubt there is going to be a top of the rotation starter that is just dangling out there at the deadline to begin with. He's going to grab a cheap 4th, 5th or 6th starter from one of the noncontenders like the White Sox, Pirates, or Royals. While he's struck some gold with reliever trades, not so much with starters. I think Tommy Milone and Jake Odorizzi are the only 2 i can remember.

The Braves were long rumored in the past for deadline guys like Tajuan Walker, Marcus Stroman, Chris Archer and it never happened.

I think the best you could probably hope for is somebody like Paul Blackburn with the As, maybe Kyle Freeland with the Rockies, but guys like that aren't near the level of Strider, or even Fried.

Yeah, there won't be such a SP available and even if there is the Braves don't have/won't have the prospect capital to go get him. I can see them taking an overpriced #2 or#3, eating the contract. Ian Andedson and Ynoa are working their way back from injury, hopefully one or both will be in form for the 2nd half. Quantity of pitching won't be a problem, but losing a true ace always hurts and is not replaceable these days.

KOdawg1
04-20-2024, 08:53 PM
Another series win for the Braves, this time vs last year's World Series champ.

14-5; best record in baseball

RockyDog
04-20-2024, 09:51 PM
Braves, Philthies and Mets are all scorching hot. The billion dollar Dodgers are 12-11 and have lost series to both the Nats and Mets.

Commercecomet24
04-20-2024, 10:04 PM
Book it, 7th, 8th, 9th inning the Braves will score and mostly in bunches

Commercecomet24
04-20-2024, 10:05 PM
Another series win for the Braves, this time vs last year's World Series champ.

14-5; best record in baseball

And doing it without 3 all stars. Amazing team. It's just next man up with them and no panic. Fun to watch

MaroonFlounder
04-21-2024, 03:42 PM
How did Travis D all of a sudden become the best power hitting catcher?

Liverpooldawg
04-23-2024, 08:17 PM
Freid was fantastic tonight!

BrunswickDawg
04-23-2024, 09:16 PM
Freid was fantastic tonight!

That was Maddox-like - 92 pitches, 1 hr and 45 minutes, complete game shut out.

Commercecomet24
04-23-2024, 09:22 PM
That was Maddox-like - 92 pitches, 1 hr and 45 minutes, complete game shut out.

What he did tonight in this day and age is like spotting a white whale! I never thought I'd see a game like that again. A cg shutout on 92 pitches in less than 2 hours!

RockyDog
04-24-2024, 08:32 AM
At one point a week and a half ago, they were hitting .306 as a team and every starter other than Travis was hitting .275 or better. Since then, Olson and Riley can't see the ball apparently, Ozuna's batting average has cooled a bit and TDA has been on fire. And they have still won just about every game. Baseball is a weird sport, but that lineup top to bottom is just unlike anything that we've seen in a while. When a third of the lineup goes ice cold, the other 5 or 6 are there to pick them up.

msstate7
04-24-2024, 08:41 AM
At one point a week and a half ago, they were hitting .306 as a team and every starter other than Travis was hitting .275 or better. Since then, Olson and Riley can't see the ball apparently, Ozuna's batting average has cooled a bit and TDA has been on fire. And they have still won just about every game. Baseball is a weird sport, but that lineup top to bottom is just unlike anything that we've seen in a while. When a third of the lineup goes ice cold, the other 5 or 6 are there to pick them up.

Pitching catching up now.

Hopefully albies and Murphy back soon

Commercecomet24
04-24-2024, 10:50 AM

100%! This is a real team and everyone in that lineup can hurt you! Heck gullorme and fletcher have contributed. When Riley and Olson get hot and Ozzie gets back, wow! Love how they pick each other up and look at the fun they have playing the game! It's like a bunch of tball kids just having a blast!

BrunswickDawg
04-24-2024, 02:42 PM

This is what has to hit home about baseball more than any other sport. As I say often, it's the only sport where success is failing only 70% of the time.

Political Hack
04-24-2024, 03:23 PM
This is what has to hit home about baseball more than any other sport. As I say often, it's the only sport where success is failing only 70% of the time.

That's hall of fame level success...

Best line up in baseball. If the pitching staff can keep the ball in the ballpark, it's going to be hard to beat this team. They're playing hungry after last year's playoff gaff too.

Commercecomet24
04-24-2024, 04:34 PM

Exactly! And it's why so many sports(not real baseball) fans freak out at a loss or two or when a player struggles, most people can't handle the ups and downs of the game. It's a game of failure that will test your mental and intestinal fortitude. Baseball teaches life lessons. Gotta love it!

Commercecomet24
04-24-2024, 04:35 PM
That's hall of fame level success...

Best line up in baseball. If the pitching staff can keep the ball in the ballpark, it's going to be hard to beat this team. They're playing hungry after last year's playoff gaff too.

100%!

KOdawg1
04-24-2024, 09:23 PM
17-6.

Another sweep.

msstate7
04-24-2024, 09:26 PM
Next series is Cleveland, who has the 2nd best record in mlb behind the braves

Commercecomet24
04-24-2024, 10:48 PM
I swear Austin Riley has been to the Hunter Hines hitting school lol!