PDA

View Full Version : Delta Sky Club Access - Is There an Easy Way?

Count Istvan Teleky
03-28-2024, 02:29 PM
In times past, American Express provided membership to the Delta Sky Clubs as a perk for being a cardholder. I suppose - technically - they still do but the annual fees on those cards are pretty high. Having retired, I don't have the occasion to access the clubs like I did while working (and passing the costs on expense reports), but it would still be nice for when I do travel.

Question for Elite: Has anybody found a hack to get around having to pay $650 a year for an AmEx card (with limited visits - 15, I think) or paying $900 for a membership through Delta? They do not do day passes anymore.

Thanks.

MedDawg
03-28-2024, 03:40 PM
I have never once been in an airline club. What are they for? The bar? A better place to sit than the terminal? For most flights I don't seem to have enough time in a terminal to spend in a club.

civildawg
03-28-2024, 03:43 PM
Pretty sure they just changed the rules to curb exactly what you're describing. The only other way is they may have a spending threshold you could hit but with you being retired, that seems like it's out of the question.

Dawghouse
03-28-2024, 03:53 PM
Have you looked into the delta credit card? It gives nice perks. I've never researched whether the sky club was one of them because it seems I spend all of my time sprinting through larger airports trying to make my connections.

MagicDawg
03-29-2024, 06:49 AM
The rule changes are intended to ease the overcrowding. Over the past few years the clubs have become so crowded that sometimes they have a line outside, and you have to wait for someone to leave to even get in.

I have used the AmEx for years which provided me membership. Now it's not a "full" membership, but provides a limited number of club visits per year. They are still tweaking the changes. I will probably keep the AmEx but I can easily see myself letting this go. Another club where I'm a member has also raised their annual dues to an extreme amount and even with my grandfathered status, I'm in for a huge increase on a club I can only visit in person once or twice a year. (They have a LOT of great virtual resources, though, so I'm torn.)

Bottom line, they are trying to eliminate inexpensive ways to get in as a way to ease the crowds. They will have plenty of high-revenue, corporate card, corporate membership people in the clubs and that's how it was originally created anyway. All of the changes over the last 20 years that allowed small-fry guys like me to get in for a few hundred bucks a year -- well, word got around and it eventually had to be reined in.

As for the value of the club -- it is quieter, has food and beverage included in the membership, nicer restrooms (often with showers which are fantastic if you're on a long layover traveling internationally or getting in somewhere super early), and it's just nice to be in a less crowded spot. I make a habit of going to the airport WELL in advance of my flight. Traffic to ATL is unpredictable a lot of the time, and it's best to leave early to save anxiety over being stuck in traffic. So I always travel with a big time buffer and the club is a nice perk for having gotten through security early.

The best way to get in cheap, I suppose, is to travel with a friend who has a membership that allows a guest or a guest pass. They will have to be with you, though.

Alternatively, there are non-airline lounges in some airports where you can buy day passes -- or at least you could. I bet they are tweaking rules, too.

Good luck.

basedog
03-29-2024, 07:15 AM
Crowds are overflowing because of delays and cancelled flights. Last two or three years have been a disaster for me with both! I'm retired now and my travel is for vacations and still have not had a smooth trip in a while.

redstickdawg
03-29-2024, 07:32 AM
I retired last year but on my last few trips the Crown rooms were a joke due to overcrowding. I had folks that were trying to impress people by doing zoom type meetings with several folks and open audio, far too overcrowded and the accommodations (food) just weren't that good. I took advantage of the showers on trips from the ME and the like. There is no way that I would have paid extra for the crown room.

MagicDawg
03-29-2024, 09:37 AM
Crowds are overflowing because of delays and cancelled flights.

Those also contribute, along increased access through credit cards and day-passes that used to be available.