PDA

View Full Version : If I am Shawn Jones, here is what I do...

cheewgumm
03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
He's a good 3p shooter, but not great and is not gonna be great at that. (Neither was Jordan, it's fine.)

1) make hisself best in the country at driving and finishing at the rim. He can do this, and be great at it. I assume you practice against people banging and fouling you. He'll have to figure out how to do it.
2) Become a great 10ft and in shooter
3) Become a great FT shooter. If he succeeds at 1, he'll l get a lot of FTs.
3) Become a great (not good) defender.

Basically work on perfecting things he's already good at. Eveyone wants to shoot 3s. Forget that. Become great at what you are already talented at and at what you can be the best at.

Basically forget the 3s and pattern his game after Jordan. Embrace what he is.

He has the athleticism to do this and he'd be alll SEC.

defiantdog
03-22-2024, 07:56 AM
He's a good 3p shooter, but not great and is not gonna be great at that. (Neither was Jordan, it's fine.)

1) make hisself best in the country at driving and finishing at the rim. He can do this, and be great at it. I assume you practice against people banging and fouling you. He'll have to figure out how to do it.
2) Become a great 10ft and in shooter
3) Become a great FT shooter. If he succeeds at 1, he'll l get a lot of FTs.
3) Become a great (not good) defender.

Basically work on perfecting things he's already good at. Eveyone wants to shoot 3s. Forget that. Become great at what you are already talented at and at what you can be the best at.

Basically forget the 3s and pattern his game after Jordan. Embrace what he is.

He has the athleticism to do this and he'd be alll SEC.
Here's an old moment, none of these kids seen MJ play.

cheewgumm
03-22-2024, 08:35 AM
Ha yes. Good point.
He?ll have to watch on YouTube.

Saltydog
03-22-2024, 08:46 AM
I would agree with this. Jones is long and athletic but one of the things this team needed was a slasher. He could be that guy.

msstate7
03-22-2024, 08:57 AM
Not having tolu in the paint could open it up for more driving.

StarkVegasSteve
03-22-2024, 09:21 AM

Not having Tolu in the paint WILL open it up for more driving. However, Jones needs to make a decision. Either he needs to be a slasher or be a 3 and D guy, and since we already have a slasher in Matthews, he needs to be 3 and D.

msstate7
03-22-2024, 09:37 AM
Not having Tolu in the paint WILL open it up for more driving. However, Jones needs to make a decision. Either he needs to be a slasher or be a 3 and D guy, and since we already have a slasher in Matthews, he needs to be 3 and D.

Pretty sure I've heard/read that jones can really shoot in practice. Hopefully it finally shows on the court next season bc his defense plays

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-22-2024, 10:31 AM
Ahh yes, just "become the best in the country" at getting to the rim, develop a "great" midrange game, become a "great" FT shooter, and get much better on D.

Why doesn't every player do this simple trick? Are they stupid?***

Goldendawg
03-22-2024, 10:41 AM
We looked very good getting off the bus I'm sure with many of our recent teams. We need to focus on recruiting more basketball players who can shoot (threes, midrange jumpers and free throws), instead of athletes who play basketball. JMO.

cheewgumm
03-22-2024, 12:56 PM
Look I don?t literally mean he?s gonna just practice and be the best ever. Just making a point.

The point is try to become great at what you have talent at.

He is not a consistent 3p shooter but had other valuable skills.

He needs to maximize those.

NCMSTFAN
03-22-2024, 01:09 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of his game to be honest. He will have the occasional good play but I haven't been impressed with him

msstate7
03-22-2024, 01:25 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of his game to be honest. He will have the occasional good play but I haven't been impressed with him

Pretty sure he and Murphy have caught the most ire from me this season, but probably worth noting that he came in as a walk on. Despite this, he's played considerable mins his first 2 seasons. I think he's still raw, so I want em back. Hopefully as I said above, it finally comes together for him his junior year

Goldendawg
03-22-2024, 01:45 PM
We got little from the bench this year. Someone posted only one of seven players brought in this past year made a real contribution. Must hit the portal successfully this off season.

Lord McBuckethead
03-22-2024, 03:43 PM

You could argue we basically didn?t have him in the paint this year in games that actually mattered.