PDA

View Full Version : Yall think the Rebs gonna be upset?

BeastMan
12-08-2013, 05:31 PM
At 6-6 MSU has gotten the Music City and Liberty of late. Last year Ole Miss goes 6-6 and get stuck in B'ham at the worst bowl venue in the SEC hands down. Wonder why? Is MSU more desirable to bowl games? Does MSU get better treatment from the SEC Bowl selection process?

Coach34
12-08-2013, 05:33 PM
#Flagship

BogeyGolfer
12-08-2013, 05:43 PM
At 6-6 MSU has gotten the Music City and Liberty of late. Last year Ole Miss goes 6-6 and get stuck in B'ham at the worst bowl venue in the SEC hands down. Wonder why? Is MSU more desirable to bowl games? Does MSU get better treatment from the SEC Bowl selection process?

There was already thread on nafoom last week claiming there is no way that we deserve LB and that we WOULD be in B-Ham. Truth be known there is really not much difference between LB and MC.

BulldogBear
12-08-2013, 06:21 PM
It all depends on how may schools are available and what their records are. Can shift from year to year. It's like comparing red apples and green apples.

BeastMan
12-08-2013, 06:23 PM
It all depends on how may schools are available and what their records are. Can shift from year to year. It's like comparing red apples and green apples.

Regardless of color, MSU has gotten tastier apples

BulldogBear
12-08-2013, 06:32 PM

True though I don't know if it may be more circumstantial than we'd want it to be. It is interesting to not however that when you check Ole Miss's recent Liberty attendance, we beat their socks off, even in 1991. It makes no sense that we would travel to Memphis any better or worse than them but there it is...we seem to travel better.

Todd4State
12-08-2013, 06:38 PM
True though I don't know if it may be more circumstantial than we'd want it to be. It is interesting to not however that when you check Ole Miss's recent Liberty attendance, we beat their socks off, even in 1991. It makes no sense that we would travel to Memphis any better or worse than them but there it is...we seem to travel better.

You would think they would attend better since they are closer and they have so many alumni there.

BulldogBear
12-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Maybe the Liberty Bowl is "beneath" some of them..... or they start out on Beale and would rather stay there.

AlSwearengen
12-08-2013, 07:08 PM
#Flagship

Nice!

LiterallyPolice
12-08-2013, 07:09 PM

We got the liberty bowl. How do you like them apples?

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/2199153/how-do-you-like-them-apples-o.gif

War Machine Dawg
12-08-2013, 08:14 PM
I repeat, we SHOULD be ahead of them for the MCB this season. We finished ahead of them in the division. And we've traveled very well for damn near 20 years. At what point do we stop getting the "MSU doesn't travel well" bullshit as an excuse for shafting us?

Coach34
12-08-2013, 08:29 PM
At what point do we stop getting the "MSU doesn't travel well" bullshit as an excuse for shafting us?

We didnt get shafted at all. The MCB wanted OM because they hadnt been in awhile- Vandy and State had been. Simple as that. When people havent been to a certain place in awhile, they tend to sell more tickets.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
12-08-2013, 08:58 PM

They Shouldn't be. Got 2 cotton bowls at 8-4 when the SEC wasn't as top-heavy. I think they should get one more year of BBVA to even things out.

Forgot to add:
First time in 50 YEARS!! FIFTY!!!!

Todd4State
12-08-2013, 09:06 PM
I repeat, we SHOULD be ahead of them for the MCB this season. We finished ahead of them in the division. And we've traveled very well for damn near 20 years. At what point do we stop getting the "MSU doesn't travel well" bullshit as an excuse for shafting us?

If they didn't go to Birmingham last year and if Vanderbilt was anywhere other than Nashville, I think those two selections would have been swapped.

BossDawg
12-08-2013, 09:12 PM
You would think they would attend better since they are closer and they have so many alumni there.

They have too much money to go to the Liberty Bowl.

Pollodawg
12-08-2013, 09:25 PM
I was thinking the same thing, WMD. If we hadn't just gone to the MCB, we likely would have gotten that bid instead.

HereComesTheSpiral
12-08-2013, 09:27 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/38f15462538723ca3590ae2009cf5f8b/tumblr_mgbti0GHSD1qb10u5o1_500.gif

This is what they probably look like right now

Pollodawg
12-08-2013, 09:27 PM
I don't buy the they have more money excuse because, well, they don't. Our alumni and fans travel every bit as well theirs do and spend every cent as much.

War Machine Dawg
12-08-2013, 09:54 PM
I don't buy the they have more money excuse because, well, they don't. Our alumni and fans travel every bit as well theirs do and spend every cent as much.

And this is my point. I'm not talking about this year specifically, although this year is a prime illustration. How long should it take for us to overcome the stigma that "MSU doesn't travel well." Because for going on 20 years now, we've traveled and spent extremely well at every bowl we've been sent to, be it Cotton, Peach/Chick-fil-A, Liberty, MCB, or Gator. Also, we went to the Gator twice in three years. Why can't the MCB do the same?

Once aGAIN, we finished ahead of the BearSharks in the conference. Thusly, we should be slotted ahead of them in the bowl selection process. We aren't necessarily getting shafted, but can we at least acknowledge we have every bit as legit a claim for making the MCB as the BearSharks?

CadaverDawg
12-08-2013, 10:24 PM
And this is my point. I'm not talking about this year specifically, although this year is a prime illustration. How long should it take for us to overcome the stigma that "MSU doesn't travel well." Because for going on 20 years now, we've traveled and spent extremely well at every bowl we've been sent to, be it Cotton, Peach/Chick-fil-A, Liberty, MCB, or Gator. Also, we went to the Gator twice in three years. Why can't the MCB do the same?

Once aGAIN, we finished ahead of the BearSharks in the conference. Thusly, we should be slotted ahead of them in the bowl selection process. We aren't necessarily getting shafted, but can we at least acknowledge we have every bit as legit a claim for making the MCB as the BearSharks?

What stigma are you referring to? We just basically jumped Vandy because the Liberty WANTED us because we travel well. Everyone knows we traveled well to Music city, Gator Bowl, and every other bowl we've been to...so I'm not noticing the stigma that you are referring to. We didn't get shafted this year or any of the last 3 years. In fact, we have gotten the benefit of our good traveling twice now in 3 years IMO. Ole Miss deserved a better bowl than us this season, it is what it is.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
12-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Vandy is the only team who really got the shaft, and their own fanbase is the cause of it. We got bumped up a slot (or finished even in the pecking order if the "shared last pick" is true) over a team with 1 more SEC win and 2 more overall wins. I can see your point that we may deserve MCB over LB, and I would have loved to see the reaction of Bear fans if that had happened. But since we just went in 2011, and we had the lowest overall record of all the bowl-eligible teams, I'm fine with Liberty. For most of the year, it was obvious that MCB wanted the Bears and the Liberty wanted us. After the 4-6 start, I'm just glad the 4 year streak is alive.