PDA

View Full Version : Next Wk ends Rotation

bigbub50
03-17-2024, 05:44 PM
Next series at Tex am is a Thurs, Fri, sat. So that will affect the rotation. Gotta keep loo on game 3 in that case to get 6 days rest though he deserves to move up. If dohm is back, I go Dohm, Stevens, loo. If Dohm is out, I go Stevens, Stephen, loo.

preachermatt83
03-17-2024, 06:35 PM
If we ever move loo off of Sunday, or whatever game 3 falls on, then we are dumber than can be explained

somebodyshotmypaw
03-17-2024, 07:23 PM
I will be shocked if Stephen doesn’t start game 1 or 2. Loo will get game 3. I’m guessing Dohm won’t be ready to start this weekend.

bigbub50
03-17-2024, 07:29 PM
Stephen has had two good outings and two bad. I just don’t see him as a sec starter. I hope he proves me wrong. His stuff looks flat and LSU looked like they were having batting practice against him. These coaches obviously know wayyy more than me, but if Dohm were back, I’d try someone else as a starter. If Dohm remains out, I’d give him another chance.

Saltydog
03-17-2024, 07:31 PM
Yeah he has little to no movement on that fb.....Loftin has better stuff and so does Ligon.....

Coach34
03-17-2024, 07:32 PM
Stephen probably gets another shot. Throwing Stevens out there for his 1st college start on the road is something most coaches would hesitate to do.

Coach34
03-17-2024, 07:34 PM
Yeah he has little to no movement on that fb.....Loftin has better stuff and so does Ligon.....

Ligon needed that outing this weekend. He has really good stuff- he just needs more innings and confidence

Loftin is the same

These 2 guys could/should be huge factors the next 2 months

KOdawg1
03-17-2024, 07:49 PM
Ligon needed that outing this weekend. He has really good stuff- he just needs more innings and confidence

Loftin is the same

These 2 guys could/should be huge factors the next 2 months

I was surprised by Tyson Hardin too. Dude showed some nuts this weekend

bigbub50
03-17-2024, 07:50 PM
Is it safe to say that Loftins stuff mimics Holmans with an average fast ball but a plus curve/slider? Doesn’t Loftin have a really good changeup as well?

Coach34
03-17-2024, 07:53 PM
Is it safe to say that Loftins stuff mimics Holmans with an average fast ball but a plus curve/slider? Doesn’t Loftin have a really good changeup as well?

Loftin's best pitch is his change. It's 5-star

He has to locate his FB and work to get movement. His CB is decent. He thinks he is a King on the mound- doesnt lack confidence. Need him on the hill

DownwardDawg
03-17-2024, 08:16 PM
Stephen probably gets another shot. Throwing Stevens out there for his 1st college start on the road is something most coaches would hesitate to do.

I agree. I would pitch this Thursday night just like we did this past Friday. Don't rush him into a start yet. Let him come in from the bullpen. For now.....

somebodyshotmypaw
03-17-2024, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to see Loftin get the start against Memphis, and the staff attempt to stretch him a little. Maybe get 4-6 innings from him.

I don't think Dohm will be ready to start versus A&M. I will be shocked if Stephen doesn't start game 1 or 2. But Stephen may not be in the weekend rotation by early April. But with Loftin not quite ready, Dohm on the mend, and Stevens just a freshman, I just can't see how Stephen gets booted out of the rotation just yet.

I would like to see Dohm, Loftin, Stephen, and Loo all pitching well and Lemonis/Parker have to make tough decisions.

basedog
03-17-2024, 09:27 PM
Stevens doesn't look or play like scared Freshman. Not saying he will start yet but he looks like he can handle the situation.

maroonmania
03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Stephen has had two good outings and two bad. I just don’t see him as a sec starter. I hope he proves me wrong. His stuff looks flat and LSU looked like they were having batting practice against him. These coaches obviously know wayyy more than me, but if Dohm were back, I’d try someone else as a starter. If Dohm remains out, I’d give him another chance.

Yep, losing confidence in Stephen as an SEC starter. He doesn't really have swing and miss stuff and is going to get hit. Seems when he pitches you have to hope the ball stays in the yard and goes in the direction of a fielder. Otherwise, you get a result like we got yesterday.

Todd4State
03-17-2024, 10:06 PM
I think this weekend is make or break for Stephen. If he gets hit hard again I would drop him to midweek. I think he has good enough stuff to beat those types of teams. His pitch to contact approach has me skeptical against SEC teams.

I have a feeling our rotation will end up being Dohm, Loftin, and Loo by the end of the year although I would love it if we started Stevens and moved Dohm back to the bullpen and used him as a relief ace.

The Federalist Engineer
03-18-2024, 06:21 PM
Stevens doesn't look or play like scared Freshman. Not saying he will start yet but he looks like he can handle the situation.

Stevens is clearly a boss on the mound. He embodies the Bobby Cox saying, "I don't need a scout to point-out a 1st round pick"

That said, I would start Siary and then bring Stevens. Then Stevens doesn't have to think about the game in the buildup.

The Federalist Engineer
03-18-2024, 06:27 PM
I think this weekend is make or break for Stephen. If he gets hit hard again I would drop him to midweek. I think he has good enough stuff to beat those types of teams. His pitch to contact approach has me skeptical against SEC teams.

I have a feeling our rotation will end up being Dohm, Loftin, and Loo by the end of the year although I would love it if we started Stevens and moved Dohm back to the bullpen and used him as a relief ace.

Seems that Stephen is an opening pitcher. His stats a Purdue show a hit-miss pattern. He had good and bad games. Some really bad. MSU can simply pull the plug quickly when things are not working. Just treat Stephen like the first from the Pen. The pay off is that Stevens, Dotson, and Davis are comfortable from the pen.

Keep doing this until Loftin's pedigree kicks-in.