PDA

View Full Version : OK- here we are. Baseball season is now a fight

Coach34
03-10-2024, 07:51 PM
12-4 heading into the meat of the season. Should get 2 midweeks this week to get to 14-4 facing LSU at home. Then got to find a way to win the series.

Huge week for the Diamond Dawgs

msstate7
03-10-2024, 08:01 PM
Gotta admit I'm starting to buy in.

parabrave
03-10-2024, 08:09 PM
Not worried about pitching but we still have some holes in the batting order that need to be addressed,

BeardoMSU
03-10-2024, 08:24 PM

I want it bad.

BigDawg81
03-10-2024, 08:40 PM
Gotta admit I'm starting to buy in. I want to but I am not there yet. If State can take just one vs LSU and competitive in the other 2, I can believe this team can be alright. Is that too much to ask? I don?t think so. State took 2/3 from LSU last year and this is a little better than last year.

basedog
03-10-2024, 08:47 PM
Win 2 against LSU and everyone will start to buy in.

Skydawg1
03-10-2024, 08:50 PM
I like us taking 1 from LSU, and I like our Sunday matchup with Lo vs Hurd. That being said, who knows who LSU will throw Sunday. We could take this series. Kinda depends on how many arms we use in Biloxi. Also, has anyone heard anything on Dohm?

somebodyshotmypaw
03-10-2024, 09:08 PM
Just a reminder. We are currently 12-4 in nonconference games (18-5 last year). Last year we went 9-21 in SEC play, which was our issue. Our final record was 27-26 with an RPI of 51.

So the RPI will take care of itself because of strength of schedule. We can't really improve on last season's nonconference record. We have to get these midweek games throughout the season, and improve our play in the SEC.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-10-2024, 09:12 PM
Last season in conference play

got swept - 4 times
won 1 of 3 - 3 times
won 2 of 3 - 3 times
swept - 0 times

We have to avoid sweeps. Sweeps killed us last year.

Bdawg
03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
12-4 heading into the meat of the season. Should get 2 midweeks this week to get to 14-4 facing LSU at home. Then got to find a way to win the series.

Why did we schedule 2 midweek before LSU weekend?

Coach34
03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
LSU is very talented and a Top 5 level team. However they aren’t in a good place swinging the bat. Lost today vs Xavier 2-1

Pitching and D has to show up this weekend. I’ll be there. Can’t wait

MaroonFlounder
03-10-2024, 09:28 PM
Many of the SPSers on that 3on site are actively rooting against this baseball team so that Lem gets fired.

Most also can't stand the outfield loungers that feed opposing players, and they don't like ANY NIL $$ or upgrades going to baseball.

KOdawg1
03-10-2024, 09:41 PM
Many of the SPSers on that 3on site are actively rooting against this baseball team so that Lem gets fired.

Most also can't stand the outfield loungers that feed opposing players, and they don't like ANY NIL $$ or upgrades going to baseball.
That first sentence isn't true at all. Completely false.

Not saying there aren't a couple, but most are just skeptical like me. Win 1 or 2 this weekend while looking competitive, and I'll eat my crow.

But I've yet to see anyone actively rooting against the baseball team. There's just lots of frustration after 2 years of sucking

Coach34
03-10-2024, 10:10 PM
I sure have seen a lot of people calling for a firing after those 4 losses yet have gotten quiet lately

KOdawg1
03-10-2024, 10:13 PM
I sure have seen a lot of people calling for a firing after those 4 losses yet have gotten quiet lately

Tends to happen when you beat up on powerhouses like Mt. Saint Mary and Evansville.

These next 3 weekends will let us know

Todd4State
03-10-2024, 11:12 PM

Yep. But to be honest I think we're somewhere in the middle of the SEC and LSU is somewhere near the top. It's going to be interesting because it comes down to SEC play as we have said many times. I think we're good enough to make the SEC Tournament and I think we're good enough to make a regional. But will that be enough to keep Lemonis around?

Why did we schedule 2 midweek before LSU weekend?

Because while it's good for MSU to play in Biloxi it's logistically hard for MSU to travel there because we're using the bus. So to make it worth our while we schedule Biloxi during spring break when the players don't have class so we can stay overnight and don't have to worry about the players missing class. The SEC is the one that decided to schedule LSU where they did in our schedule. It is what it is.

Most of them also thought that Barbay was going to be awesome and have the best offense ever at MSU. Their forte is sports logos, eating bar-b-que and mac and cheese at Two Brothers, and field paint. Not sports discussion. Kind of like fashion designers on HGTV.

Todd4State
03-10-2024, 11:15 PM

They're about to learn that pitching and defense can win you baseball games. I'm sure they'll be back when LSU beats us 2/3 or sweeps us.

KOdawg1
03-10-2024, 11:40 PM
Most of them also thought that Barbay was going to be awesome and have the best offense ever at MSU. Their forte is sports logos, eating bar-b-que and mac and cheese at Two Brothers, and field paint. Not sports discussion. Kind of like fashion designers on HGTV.

El oh el.

Swing and a miss

CaptainObvious
03-11-2024, 12:32 AM
They're about to learn that pitching and defense can win you baseball games. I'm sure they'll be back when LSU beats us 2/3 or sweeps us.

Lemonis has got to show he has the nuts to grind the gears in unison to beat the good SEC teams, not just beat up on Sad sacks like Missouri, UK, and Ole Miss.

99jc
03-11-2024, 08:29 AM
Lemonis has got to show he has the nuts to grind the gears in unison to beat the good SEC teams, not just beat up on Sad sacks like Missouri, UK, and Ole Miss.

exactly.... nobody who is a true state fan wants us to lose but until lemondick starts winning the last 2 season are like an albatross around his bucket sitting butt!

The Federalist Engineer
03-11-2024, 09:00 AM
MSU fans can't stand losing to LSU or anyone enough foresake a coach. But there is always that guy, that does. Does that matter on the field, not at all.

Just enjoy the season. Maybe they win a bunch of games. You can't fire the coach until May and even then, you don't have a guarantee that Selmon will hire someone better.

Not saying there aren't better coaches, just saying that Selmon and MSU have to find, recruit and hire that better coach.

ArrowDawg
03-11-2024, 10:41 AM

If LSU wins the series, that's par-for-the-course. We haven't won a home series over LSU in ages. This series won't define the baseball team, although if we win it that could give us all a boost of hope.

confucius say
03-11-2024, 10:49 AM
As long as we continue to play defense and shove it in the zone we will be okay.

We have 4 losses. The first 3 were without both Mershon and Kohler. We're 14-2 if healthy. Maybe 15-1.
Yes I know the competition has largely sucked.

Commercecomet24
03-11-2024, 10:56 AM
Find a way to split the first 2 of every conference weekend series and then Loo against everyone elses #3 guy gives a great chance to win a bunch of sec series. While sweeping series is awesome the key in baseball is to just win every series and that puts you where you need to be at the end of the season.

ScottH
03-11-2024, 11:02 AM
Should get 2 midweeks this week to get to 14-4 facing LSU at home.

I would?t ring up USA as a win just yet. They may end up being our toughest non SEC game when it?s all said and done.

confucius say
03-11-2024, 11:29 AM
I hate playing 2 the midweek before sec play.

PGHBulldogBG
03-11-2024, 12:05 PM
If we can win both mid weeks and at least get 1 from LSU that would be a successful week.

R2Dawg
03-11-2024, 03:27 PM
As long as we continue to play defense and shove it in the zone we will be okay.

We have 4 losses. The first 3 were without both Mershon and Kohler. We're 14-2 if healthy. Maybe 15-1.
Yes I know the competition has largely sucked.

Late inning pitching cost us two wins after dominating the games. We easily 14-2 or 15-1 if healthy and better pitching management.

Coach34
03-11-2024, 08:51 PM
Fielding percentage is up to .982

State82
03-11-2024, 08:58 PM

That is excellent.

State82
03-11-2024, 08:59 PM
Find a way to split the first 2 of every conference weekend series and then Loo against everyone elses #3 guy gives a great chance to win a bunch of sec series. While sweeping series is awesome the key in baseball is to just win every series and that puts you where you need to be at the end of the season.

Absolutely.

Lord McBuckethead
03-12-2024, 07:28 AM

Not until we start hitting.

Lord McBuckethead
03-12-2024, 07:29 AM

How is our runs scored and project HR totals?

Todd4State
03-12-2024, 10:07 AM
Not until we start hitting.

Our team batting average is comparable to last year and in the middle of the SEC right now.

Now yes we do need to hit with more power but a lot of that is Highfill being out and Hines in a power slump. I think our slugging percentage will improve over the course of the year.

cujo
03-12-2024, 10:51 AM
Our team batting average is comparable to last year and in the middle of the SEC right now.

Now yes we do need to hit with more power but a lot of that is Highfill being out and Hines in a power slump. I think our slugging percentage will improve over the course of the year.

Maybe not next year either.
Power going to have to come from someone else

DownwardDawg
03-12-2024, 11:37 AM

Absolutely. I'll be glad to win both midweek games and 1 against LSU. If we win 2 against LSU I'll be very glad, even if we drop 1 of the midweek games.

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-12-2024, 11:42 AM
Weak non-con opponents can only teach you bad things. We won't know what we have till 2weekends of SEC play. Even this weekends honestly, we could get swept and still end up at 14 wins. Just have to be patient and see. That's why I have been quiet, nothing to say till they show me something

Coach34
03-12-2024, 11:44 AM
How is our runs scored and project HR totals?

Team BA and runs scored per are higher than last season overall- but we obviously havent played an SEC game.

This team is different as it will be a pitching and defense team. It's not going to hit for power- so you adjust offensively to what you have. Incorporate a little more bunting and such. Just getting Rally Killa out of the 5 hole has helped the last 2 games.

Todd4State
03-12-2024, 12:48 PM
Weak non-con opponents can only teach you bad things. We won't know what we have till 2weekends of SEC play. Even this weekends honestly, we could get swept and still end up at 14 wins. Just have to be patient and see. That's why I have been quiet, nothing to say till they show me something

You were pretty vocal when we were 3-4. What happened?**

StarkVegasSteve
03-12-2024, 12:56 PM

Win your home series and do not get swept on the road. That puts you 15-15 in conference play and will have you hosting.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2024, 01:16 PM
Win your home series and do not get swept on the road. That puts you 15-15 in conference play and will have you hosting.

Yep that works for me too.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2024, 01:19 PM
Team BA and runs scored per are higher than last season overall- but we obviously havent played an SEC game.

This team is different as it will be a pitching and defense team. It's not going to hit for power- so you adjust offensively to what you have. Incorporate a little more bunting and such. Just getting Rally Killa out of the 5 hole has helped the last 2 games.

I know it's not the sexy thing, but If i had to pick between having a slugging team or a pitching/defense team, I'll take the pitching/defense every time because that's what it takes to win consistently. Obviously you'd like both but take the pitching/defense every time. It all comes down to the arms.

Getting a better hitter in the 5 hole made a world of difference.

confucius say
03-12-2024, 02:28 PM

And 6 of our 10 errors are on pitcher pickoffs or run downs. We are fielding it exceptionally well.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2024, 02:34 PM
And 6 of our 10 errors are on pitcher pickoffs or run downs. We are fielding it exceptionally well.

I'm a pitching/defense guy and I love the way our infield is playing(outfield too), but the improvment on the infield, especially the left side is nothing short of astounding!

somebodyshotmypaw
03-12-2024, 02:51 PM

Last season we went 9-21. We got swept in 4 of our 10 SEC series. A sweep is a killer. You have to avoid sweeps.

Let's say a team wins 8 SEC series (2 games of 3), and is swept twice. Your final record is 16-14 (barely over .500) yet you won 8 of the 10 series that you played. That is the power of the sweep.

basedog
03-12-2024, 05:22 PM
I'm a pitching/defense guy and I love the way our infield is playing(outfield too), but the improvment on the infield, especially the left side is nothing short of astounding!

Pitching and defense will always or at least most of time keep you in the game. Clutch hitting is important also. My top two all time pitchers are Bob Gibson and Greg Maddox. Talk about strike throwers and quick games.

preachermatt83
03-12-2024, 05:34 PM
Yep that works for me too.

Hosting? We talkin bout hosting? Lol. Just get to the tourney this season. That’s improvement!! We win 1 this weekend and I’m happy.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2024, 06:46 PM
Hosting? We talkin bout hosting? Lol. Just get to the tourney this season. That?s improvement!! We win 1 this weekend and I?m happy.

Lol I'll take that too!

Just win baby!

Commercecomet24
03-12-2024, 06:49 PM
Pitching and defense will always or at least most of time keep you in the game. Clutch hitting is important also. My top two all time pitchers are Bob Gibson and Greg Maddox. Talk about strike throwers and quick games.

Yeah they don't make em like those 2 anymore! Both had a mean streak too and owned the strike zone! If Bob was pitching today there wouldn't be a whole lot of guys pimping home runs on him. They'd only do it once that's for sure lol!

basedog
03-12-2024, 07:22 PM
Yeah they don't make em like those 2 anymore! Both had a mean streak too and owned the strike zone! If Bob was pitching today there wouldn't be a whole lot of guys pimping home runs on him. They'd only do it once that's for sure lol!

Bob Gibson was a great athlete. Wasn’t afraid to throw right under one’s chin to remind them who was in control.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2024, 07:54 PM
Bob Gibson was a great athlete. Wasn’t afraid to throw right under one’s chin to remind them who was in control.

Yep and he was a great basketball player at creighton too. Could've played in the nba as well. He could really hit too and fast until his knees have out. Loved Gibby!

basedog
03-12-2024, 08:27 PM
Yep and he was a great basketball player at creighton too. Could've played in the nba as well. He could really hit too and fast until his knees have out. Loved Gibby!

Gibson I think played one year for the Globe Trotters. No one was as dominant in pitching in World Series as him.

Commercecomet24
03-12-2024, 08:37 PM
Gibson I think played one year for the Globe Trotters. No one was as dominant in pitching in World Series as him.

He did play for the globe trotters. Yeah that guy was money in big games.

Saltydog
03-12-2024, 09:26 PM

We all know, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, how this turns out. It's time to quit all the genespagesque sunshine pumping and call a spade a spade. It's not a question of if, it's when. The sodomization officially begins Friday night.

maroonmania
03-12-2024, 09:36 PM
We all know, whether anyone wants to admit it or not, how this turns out. It's time to quit all the genespagesque sunshine pumping and call a spade a spade. It's not a question of if, it's when. The sodomization officially begins Friday night.

Yea, I actually like Lemonis and wish he would make it but right now I only give him about a 25% chance of making the NCAA tournament which is what he HAS to do. Last year our pitching and defense was our downfall, this year it appears its going to be our offense.

ArrowDawg
03-12-2024, 11:56 PM
Hosting? We talkin bout hosting? Lol. Just get to the tourney this season. That’s improvement!! We win 1 this weekend and I’m happy.

Three consecutive years without hosting post-season baseball isn't improving.

Todd4State
03-13-2024, 12:04 AM
Three consecutive years without hosting post-season baseball isn't improving.

It's also below our standard. We're not Ole Miss baseball 1998 where making the SEC Tournament and a regional is the goal.

We're better than last year but really hard to see this team being up to MSU standards.

Todd4State
03-13-2024, 12:09 AM
Yea, I actually like Lemonis and wish he would make it but right now I only give him about a 25% chance of making the NCAA tournament which is what he HAS to do. Last year our pitching and defense was our downfall, this year it appears it's going to be our offense.

I think our downfall is going to be Lemonis's lack of attention to detail. You can't treat amateur baseball players that are 18-21 like MLB players.

That's what we had with Polk I and Cohen. And yeah I know we had some bad losses with Cohen but at least I knew he was probably running their ass Augie Garrido style letting them know that play wasn't acceptable. Lemonis will probably let them play at the beach tomorrow.

basedog
03-13-2024, 07:14 AM
I think our downfall is going to be Lemonis's lack of attention to detail. You can't treat amateur baseball players that are 18-21 like MLB players.

That's what we had with Polk I and Cohen. And yeah I know we had some bad losses with Cohen but at least I knew he was probably running their ass Augie Garrido style letting them know that play wasn't acceptable. Lemonis will probably let them play at the beach tomorrow.

Yep, it is one of his downfalls. You have to take full control of details for college players.

Jarius
03-13-2024, 09:49 AM

Some people are going to learn. That’s for sure.

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-13-2024, 01:32 PM
You were pretty vocal when we were 3-4. What happened?**

As I said, a weak non con schedule can only teach you bad things. Starting 3-4 showed us Lemo hasn't fixed a damned thing. It's been hidden by the recent run (that ended last night) so I let the optimists have a break from my negativity and hope I'm wrong.

We will see soon enough whether I'm right (that Lemo creates a soft, mentally weak team) or wrong (and we win 14+ SEC games and make the tourney). If you want me to "call my shot", I'd bet we get 11 wins

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-13-2024, 01:43 PM
It's also below our standard. We're not Ole Miss baseball 1998 where making the SEC Tournament and a regional is the goal.

We're better than last year but really hard to see this team being up to MSU standards.

THANK YOU! we agree on something!

I HATE to see this "I'm so excited to make the tournament! That shows improvement! Great job Lemonis go team!" Type of comments. We are STATE BASEBALL, Lemo needs to show us he can get us back to our standard, not just "improve" from the massive hold he dug the program into. People are mentally lowering the bar like it's end of Polk 2 instead of post Natty.

This is why we should have fired him last year. If he makes the tournament, we won't fire him because he "showed improvement", yet if you look at the roster we will be a worse team next year. So compared to firing Lemo at the end of '23 and bringing in a real coach to rebuild, we will have 2 more wasted Lemo years before starting that process. It was a JoMo/Arnett situation- pull the plug for the betterment of the program.

Todd4State
03-13-2024, 02:16 PM
THANK YOU! we agree on something!

I HATE to see this "I'm so excited to make the tournament! That shows improvement! Great job Lemonis go team!" Type of comments. We are STATE BASEBALL, Lemo needs to show us he can get us back to our standard, not just "improve" from the massive hold he dug the program into. People are mentally lowering the bar like it's end of Polk 2 instead of post Natty.

This is why we should have fired him last year. If he makes the tournament, we won't fire him because he "showed improvement", yet if you look at the roster we will be a worse team next year. So compared to firing Lemo at the end of '23 and bringing in a real coach to rebuild, we will have 2 more wasted Lemo years before starting that process. It was a JoMo/Arnett situation- pull the plug for the betterment of the program.

You're making a lot of assumptions about our baseball boosters.

The bottom line has always been that he has to meet our standards this year. Which I said as much LAST year.

Todd4State
03-13-2024, 02:20 PM
Yep, it is one of his downfalls. You have to take full control of details for college players.

You have to do it in the pros too. That's why they have spring training for over a month where all they work on are fundamentals over and over. I'm sure Cade would tell you as much.

But our guys? Nah. They're good.**

basedog
03-13-2024, 04:15 PM
You have to do it in the pros too. That's why they have spring training for over a month where all they work on are fundamentals over and over. I'm sure Cade would tell you as much.

But our guys? Nah. They're good.**

Cade got invitation yesterday to pitch against the "big boys", he did well. He may end up in the Hudson Valley (NY) to start the season. He has been coached up no doubt.

Commercecomet24
03-13-2024, 06:43 PM
Cade got invitation yesterday to pitch against the "big boys", he did well. He may end up in the Hudson Valley (NY) to start the season. He has been coached up no doubt.

Man that's so good to hear! Wish him much success!