PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology 3/8

Coach34
03-08-2024, 10:30 AM
https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/bracketology/ncaa-bracketology-2024-march-madness-men-field-predictions

10 seed

Need a win Saturday

Commercecomet24
03-08-2024, 10:47 AM
Gotta win Saturday. Do that and win at least 1 in the SEC tournament would help a bunch. Saturdays is pretty much a must win.

parabrave
03-08-2024, 10:53 AM
Got to have Shak and Toulu show up Sat.

PGHBulldogBG
03-08-2024, 10:56 AM
Saturday is a must win. Committee doesn’t look at SEC tournament unless you win the whole thing.

Coach34
03-08-2024, 11:05 AM
Neither Mississippi nor A&M even in the discussion

StarkVegasSteve
03-08-2024, 11:15 AM
Win and we are in Saturday. We are currently in the last 4 byes. Someone needs to tell Tolu to show up and Shak and Davis that it is ok to not let Hubbard take ALL the shots.

msudawg1200
03-08-2024, 11:15 AM
Win Saturday, and we are in. Lose and it's sweating it out time. I will be there rooting us on.

Commercecomet24
03-08-2024, 11:23 AM
Win and we are in Saturday. We are currently in the last 4 byes. Someone needs to tell Tolu to show up and Shak and Davis that it is ok to not let Hubbard take ALL the shots.

Yeah if we win saturday we are definitely in. Tolu has disappeared(especially in the first half lately), as well as Shak but Davis had 14 against AM so he was at least helping. Those chincy fouls on Hubbard in the first half Wednesday cost us big time. He was starting to feel it and had hit 2 threes in a row when he picked up his 3rd foul and had to sit the rest of the half. We had tied it 28-28 at that point.

Have to find a way to get shak, murphy and tolu going again.

maroonmania
03-08-2024, 11:47 AM
Gotta win Saturday. Do that and win at least 1 in the SEC tournament would help a bunch. Saturdays is pretty much a must win.

Guess I'm letting my pessimism get the best of me but, at this point, I'm expecting the men's team to collapse and keep losing just like the women did. Seems like, since the baseball NC, MSU sports has just been one disappointment after another so its probably best to keep expectations very low and if we get anything better than that, be grateful and happy. I've gotten very cynical with college sports anyway with all the NIL/transfer portal stuff.

confucius say
03-08-2024, 11:54 AM
I like that matchup. I'll take that 10 seed over an 8/9.

msstate7
03-08-2024, 11:55 AM
I like that matchup. I'll take that 10 seed over an 8/9.

I just want in and win 1 game. We shoot FTs too poorly to win 2 games imo

confucius say
03-08-2024, 12:01 PM
We're 45-66 in our last 4 games. 68%. Not great but Progress.

confucius say
03-08-2024, 12:06 PM
https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/bracketology/ncaa-bracketology-2024-march-madness-men-field-predictions

10 seed

Need a win Saturday

On February 8 you argued with me and said we would be a "damn 7-8 seed" if we get to 9-9 and I said that's insane. You then walked it back a little and said "we'll be an 8 if we get to 9-9" and I said bookmark.

I still think you're wrong, but I just hope we get to 9-9.

PGHBulldogBG
03-08-2024, 12:30 PM
On February 8 you argued with me and said we would be a "damn 7-8 seed" if we get to 9-9 and I said that's insane. You then walked it back a little and said "we'll be an 8 if we get to 9-9" and I said bookmark.

I still think you're wrong, but I just hope we get to 9-9.

A lot of people don’t understand how the committee works. If we go 9-9 we are solid in the tournament as probably a 9. Possibly a 10 if there are some conference tournament upsets. The committee pretty much has the field set before conference tournaments. They just revise it if a team not in the tournament wins the conference. They just then push out the last team or two in the field. If we lose Saturday my guess is that we move to last four in. We might get a spot if there are 1-2 or less conference tourney champ upsets. If they get over the 2 mark then we are 1 seed NIT

Goldendawg
03-08-2024, 12:41 PM

Tolu has turned so soft with his game recently. Prefers to shoot reverse layups under the rim and a real liability on D. Would love to see him dunk with authority when it's there. His game, however is what it is at this point. Need Moore to shot! SC will be a tough game if they take Tolu or Hubbard out of the game. We can't win playing 2 on 5 on offense. Hail State!

Goldendawg
03-08-2024, 12:51 PM
I just want in and win 1 game. We shoot FTs too poorly to win 2 games imo

Have been to nearly all home games. Tolu has improved on his FT's in the first half, but struggles in the 2nd half as he starts to tire. This has cost us at some critical times late in recent games when we needed the points. I also think our D has suffered lately as the players have tired legs from Jans D first philosophy. We have given up a lot of points in these losses in this streak. We are not going to out score any quality teams playing their game into the 70's or 80's, especially when we are usually playing 3 on 5 with our lack of scorers when on offense.

basedog
03-08-2024, 01:05 PM
I think we upset SC, playing at home helps. Jans will have them ready.

somebodyshotmypaw
03-08-2024, 01:13 PM

I don't consider us beating South Carolina in Starkville to be an upset.

confucius say
03-08-2024, 01:14 PM

Upset? We're favored.

maroonmania
03-08-2024, 01:39 PM
Upset? We're favored.

Yep, by 6 points.

parabrave
03-08-2024, 01:50 PM
Have been to nearly all home games. Tolu has improved on his FT's in the first half, but struggles in the 2nd half as he starts to tire. This has cost us at some critical times late in recent games when we needed the points. I also think our D has suffered lately as the players have tired legs from Jans D first philosophy. We have given up a lot of points in these losses in this streak. We are not going to out score any quality teams playing their game into the 70's or 80's, especially when we are usually playing 3 on 5 with our lack of scorers when on offense.

two things on TS. 1st the last few games he has been getting mugged and getting out muscled by the other team. The refs are "letting them play" now and he is getting intimidated at the onset of the game. Secondly Jans said he hurt himself in practice but didn't say when during the TAM postgame interview. Maybe let JB start the game so he can outphysical the cocks then have TS come in.

msstate7
03-08-2024, 01:52 PM
two things on TS. 1st the last few games he has been getting mugged and getting out muscled by the other team. The refs are "letting them play" now and he is getting intimidated at the onset of the game. Secondly Jans said he hurt himself in practice but didn't say when during the TAM postgame interview. Maybe let JB start the game so he can outphysical the cocks then have TS come in.

Tolu got hurt last Friday before the Auburn game

Dawgology
03-08-2024, 11:26 PM
Tolu won?t show up. He rarely does in the games that mean the most

R2Dawg
03-09-2024, 11:36 AM
Big game on campus and a must win game. Wish all the students were there, maybe some local holdovers will fill up the Hump.

Its senior day and I think we come out ready to go.

parabrave
03-09-2024, 01:18 PM

I would start JB. Jans has done it in the past and got a good game out of him. Also need Shak and KM to show up. They have all but disappeared during this losing streak.

Homedawg
03-09-2024, 01:23 PM

Define most and big. He had 21 against uk had 23 against UT. Sure he's had some off games but it's not like it's always in the "big" ones. Which I think all of them are big.

msstate7
03-09-2024, 01:30 PM
Define most and big. He had 21 against uk had 23 against UT. Sure he's had some off games but it's not like it's always in the "big" ones. Which I think all of them are big.

Our fans define big games as the ones we lose.

Homedawg
03-09-2024, 02:03 PM
Our fans define big games as the ones we lose.

I'm not sure how one averages 16.5 pt and 8 rebounds in a conference schedule only and he never shows up in the big games. Just don't get it.

maroonmania
03-09-2024, 05:02 PM
Guess I'm letting my pessimism get the best of me but, at this point, I'm expecting the men's team to collapse and keep losing just like the women did. Seems like, since the baseball NC, MSU sports has just been one disappointment after another so its probably best to keep expectations very low and if we get anything better than that, be grateful and happy. I've gotten very cynical with college sports anyway with all the NIL/transfer portal stuff.

Collapse is now complete. I could feel it in my bones. Getting really difficult to enjoy any MSU sports.

msstate7
03-09-2024, 05:05 PM
I think we're in the same position as last year now - win a game in sect to get a play in game. Maybe we get it, maybe we don't... I'm done caring

RezDog7
03-09-2024, 05:07 PM
I think we're in the same position as last year now - win a game in sect to get a play in game. Maybe we get it, maybe we don't... I'm done caring

Told you, this is the exact same team as last year.

MoreCowbell
03-09-2024, 05:08 PM
Collapse is now complete. I could feel it in my bones. Getting really difficult to enjoy any MSU sports.

Right there with you

maroonmania
03-09-2024, 05:11 PM

Exactly, at the moment we can't beat tournament quality teams so even if we got in we aren't going anywhere.

msstate7
03-09-2024, 05:12 PM
Exactly, at the moment we can't beat tournament quality teams so even if we got in we aren't going anywhere.

I still want it even if we lose. It makes it easier to recruit for jans

MoreCowbell
03-09-2024, 05:14 PM
Regular season comparisons

2023: 20-11, 49 NET, 4-8 Q1
2024: 19-11, 39 NET, 3-8 Q1

msstate7
03-09-2024, 05:17 PM
Regular season comparisons

2023: 20-11, 49 NET, 4-8 Q1
2024: 19-11, 39 NET, 3-8 Q1

Probably fall around 5 spots in net, so little better this season

MoreCowbell
03-09-2024, 05:18 PM
Still pretty disappointed that we basically did not improve with everyone returning plus adding one of the best freshman in the country.

StarkVegasSteve
03-09-2024, 05:21 PM
Still pretty disappointed that we basically did not improve with everyone returning plus adding one of the best freshman in the country.

You are all still operating on the premise that everyone else stayed the same. Tennessee is better, Kentucky is better, Auburn is better, OM is better, A&M is better, Florida is better, Bama is better, USCe is better. We are better but everyone else that was better than us last year got better and teams that were at our level or a little worse got better.

maroonmania
03-09-2024, 05:21 PM

We just don't make stops in the halfcourt like we did last year. I'm not sure if its just people have figure Jans out or what but if we had Hubbard with last year's defense we would be significantly better. We just didn't make enough stops today.

parabrave
03-09-2024, 05:35 PM
Well we just played the hardest 4 game stretch in the entire NCAA and had 2 close losses with our big man okaying hurt for 3 of the games.

StarkVegasSteve
03-09-2024, 05:38 PM
Well we just played the hardest 4 game stretch in the entire NCAA and had 2 close losses with our big man okaying hurt for 3 of the games.

And you know how much the committee will care? ZERO PERCENT

maroonmania
03-09-2024, 05:52 PM

We were a 5 point favorite today. We were expected to win but we didnt and were basically behind the whole game after not playing well the past 2 games. No excuses. I hope we don't get left out but if we do I'm not going to gripe about it.

civildawg
03-09-2024, 06:05 PM

Good lord this fanbase. Sorry we expect to win games sometimes. There is no taking up for this team. They have underachieved tremendously and it starts at the top with Jan's. Hit the portal and get some offensive players or get out

msstate7
03-09-2024, 06:09 PM
Last 4 in...
Villanova lost
New Mexico underdog tonight
Virginia big fav vs GT
St. John's won vs bad team

Next 4...
Colorado winning at osu right now
Providence underdog vs UConn
Iowa host Illinois tomorrow
Memphis lost

Maybe we will get some help

msstate7
03-09-2024, 06:13 PM
NW is #52. We desperately need them to win tonight vs Minnesota to hopefully get to top 50

Commercecomet24
03-09-2024, 06:14 PM
We were a 5 point favorite today. We were expected to win but we didnt and were basically behind the whole game after not playing well the past 2 games. No excuses. I hope we don't get left out but if we do I'm not going to gripe about it.

Yeah as much as I want us to get in, we haven't taken care of business. We were in a position to lock it up and get a very good seed and we didn't get it done. You have to win period. Close losses don't count.

PGHBulldogBG
03-09-2024, 06:58 PM
We aren’t making it now. Today was our last chance. We would need a miracle like no conference tournament upsets

State82
03-09-2024, 07:01 PM
We aren’t making it now. Today was our last chance. We would need a miracle like no conference tournament upsets

Or an even bigger miracle like winning the SEC tournament

msstate7
03-09-2024, 07:11 PM
We aren?t making it now. Today was our last chance. We would need a miracle like no conference tournament upsets

Maybe, but it isn't just us in a vaccum... other teams have to win games

ETA... we all said the same thing last year when we played and lost to vandy the last game. I still think it's just like last year where we have to win an SECT game, which is hardly a given for us

Quaoarsking
03-09-2024, 07:15 PM
I wouldn't say we're hopeless. Our resume is about the same as it was last year. But I no longer expect to make it. If we do, I'd bet on being one of the First Four again.

Commercecomet24
03-09-2024, 07:16 PM
I still think we get in as a play in game. We need to win some and play better in the sec tournament to try and get going again.

msstate7
03-09-2024, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't say we're hopeless. Our resume is about the same as it was last year. But I no longer expect to make it. If we do, I'd bet on being one of the First Four again.

We need NW to win tonight to make that win a Q1. We obviously need some teams to lose now. We need an SECt win.

msstate7
03-09-2024, 07:19 PM
BTW, pretty sure our late season slide coincides with our baseball team starting to win. The universe can't allow us to feel good about 2 sports at the same time

PGHBulldogBG
03-09-2024, 07:37 PM
Maybe, but it isn't just us in a vaccum... other teams have to win games

ETA... we all said the same thing last year when we played and lost to vandy the last game. I still think it's just like last year where we have to win an SECT game, which is hardly a given for us

The committee doesn’t look at tournament wins unless you win the whole thing. They will set the field tomorrow and then bounce out teams if there are upsets. We are probably a last 4 in right now so we have to hope for few upsets

msstate7
03-09-2024, 07:39 PM
The committee doesn?t look at tournament wins unless you win the whole thing. They will set the field tomorrow and then bounce out teams if there are upsets. We are probably a last 4 in right now so we have to hope for few upsets

I absolutely think they look at tourney games when they're considering 3-4 teams

ETA... now I don't think a team can play themselves into consideration by winning a couple, but I do think you can lock up a spot

Quaoarsking
03-09-2024, 07:49 PM
The committee doesn’t look at tournament wins unless you win the whole thing. They will set the field tomorrow and then bounce out teams if there are upsets. We are probably a last 4 in right now so we have to hope for few upsets

That's not necessarily true. There's not a lot of consistency from year to year. Some years they don't care at all about conference tournament results, some years they do. Some years NET means a lot, others it doesn't.

Really they just put in whoever they want and make up a justification after the fact.

Honestly, I would rather abolish the committee altogether, and just take the top 37 teams in NET who aren't autobids and pick the field that way, and also use NET to seed the teams. The committee has the potential to be biased, and even worse, lazy and stupid.

msudawg1200
03-09-2024, 07:58 PM
We aren't getting in and shouldn't. A veteran tourney worthy team doesn't shite the bed like this down the stretch. We wouldn't do anything in the tourney anyway. Very disappointing season per Miss State standards. We are headed to the NIT. Period.

CaptainObvious
03-09-2024, 07:58 PM
State May get in but they don't deserve it. 1-4 down the stretch!

msstate7
03-09-2024, 08:00 PM
State May get in but they don't deserve it. 1-4 down the stretch!

We all do this, but who is the more deserving team. We all seem to assume our competition is winning

MoreCowbell
03-09-2024, 08:02 PM
You are all still operating on the premise that everyone else stayed the same. Tennessee is better, Kentucky is better, Auburn is better, OM is better, A&M is better, Florida is better, Bama is better, USCe is better. We are better but everyone else that was better than us last year got better and teams that were at our level or a little worse got better.

Actually, 5 of the 8 teams that finished ahead of us last year regressed. Alabama, TAMU, Vanderbilt, Missouri and Arkansas were much better last year. 4 of those were tourney teams last year and are not this year. Even Kentucky had a better record last year.

South Carolina returned all their guys from an 11 win team and added a stud freshman and won 25 games.

No more excuses, we just did not get it done this year, simple as that.

Coach34
03-09-2024, 08:05 PM
We aren't getting in and shouldn't. A veteran tourney worthy team doesn't shite the bed like this down the stretch. We wouldn't do anything in the tourney anyway. Very disappointing season per Miss State standards. We are headed to the NIT. Period.

Lunardi disagrees right now

State82
03-09-2024, 08:06 PM
BTW, pretty sure our late season slide coincides with our baseball team starting to win. The universe can't allow us to feel good about 2 sports at the same time
Absolutely true story right here.

Coach34
03-09-2024, 08:07 PM
very disappointing not to win one of the last 4

Quaoarsking
03-09-2024, 09:07 PM
If we have one of the top 37 resumes of out teams without an autobid, we deserve to be there, period. I think we probably are in that top 37, but barely.

Commercecomet24
03-09-2024, 09:51 PM
I believe we squeak in. That's ok too.

basedog
03-09-2024, 10:12 PM
The Sec has some very good basketball teams this year. SC may be dangerous in the Big Dance. Very well Coached.
Losing is losing but we played some good teams down the stretch and went toe to toe with some.
I hope and think we get in and make some noise.