PDA

View Full Version : State baseball #177 rpi

msstate7
03-07-2024, 01:24 PM
Yikes.

Who put this schedule together?

ZedFedder
03-07-2024, 01:34 PM
You win some in the SEC portion and all is well.

I just don?t know if that?s going to happen.

Coach34
03-07-2024, 01:37 PM
Get back to me at the end of March when we have played 9 games vs #2, #6, and #7

Our schedule will take care of itself

Commercecomet24
03-07-2024, 01:40 PM
The rpi will take care of itself when we hit the sec, provided we win of course. There's not much to be gleened from anyones schedule at this point of the season.

HoopsDawg
03-07-2024, 01:45 PM
Yikes.

Who put this schedule together?

Lemonis. It's the worst non conference schedule we've had in the RPI era.

It is going to force us to win 14 SEC games which is just not likely.

MStateDawg
03-07-2024, 01:46 PM
Way too soon to worry about RPI.
Check it again at the beginning of April.

msstate7
03-07-2024, 02:07 PM
Is Evansville d1? I don't see them listed

Commercecomet24
03-07-2024, 02:13 PM
Lemonis. It's the worst non conference schedule we've had in the RPI era.

It is going to force us to win 14 SEC games which is just not likely.

IMO we need to win at the very least 14+ games every year, otherwise time to move on to someone who can. Time for Lemonis to get it done or move on and you're right 14 could be difficult but its like this every year.

Commercecomet24
03-07-2024, 02:15 PM

Yes they are D1, Missouri Valley Conference

Coach34
03-07-2024, 02:19 PM
IMO we need to win at the very least 14+ games every year, otherwise time to move on to someone who can. Time for Lemonis to get it done or move on and you're right 14 could be difficult but its like this every year.

Exactly. Get the job done or we gonna fire that ass. It's simple

Coach34
03-07-2024, 02:20 PM

Evansville is 7-5 with a 7-3 loss to Vandy

State82
03-07-2024, 02:29 PM

They are #140

msstate7
03-07-2024, 02:31 PM

Good deal. I was hoping for this

MStateDawg
03-07-2024, 02:36 PM
Evansville is 7-5 with a 7-3 loss to Vandy

They are also considered to be one of the better teams in that conference for 2024.

https://mvc-sports.com/news/2024/2/5/indiana-state-favored-in-2024-baseball-preseason-poll.aspx#:~:text=Indiana%20State%20has%20been%20p icked,regular%2Dseason%20and%20tournament%20champi ons.

https://twitter.com/11point7/status/1754852693313552802

Todd4State
03-07-2024, 02:38 PM
Get back to me at the end of March when we have played 9 games vs #2, #6, and #7

This. No one has attention to RPI more than MSU fans. We win SEC games and everything will take care of itself. We went up like 15 spots just by beating USM.

The rest of our schedule doesn't look too bad as far as RPi is concerned outside of Alcorn and North Alabama. I highly doubt we even play North Alabama though.

Todd4State
03-07-2024, 02:41 PM

Yep. This offseason could be very interesting. We'll see if the boosters agree with us. I know they weren't too happy recently but that can certainly change and that was right before this winning streak started.

HoopsDawg
03-07-2024, 02:43 PM

I agree. 15-15 should be the floor.

Just ironic that Lemonis put together this crap schedule hoping to stack wins but it may end up costing him his job.

Saltydog
03-07-2024, 02:45 PM
It won't if you don't win some games, which is going to be difficult for this team..........

Coach34
03-07-2024, 02:46 PM

Just ironic that Lemonis put together this crap schedule hoping to stack wins but it may end up costing him his job.

I think he put together the schedule because of the new PC and giving him time to figure out the staff. Everybody knows- especially Lemon- that what he does in the SEC controls his fate- not OOC. We were 18-5 OOC last year- stacking wins. Didnt matter. This year's OOC doesnt matter either. A 14 or more SEC baseball team is not getting left out in this day as tough as the SEC is

Saltydog
03-07-2024, 02:47 PM
you know it's bad if you have to beat teams with a rpi of 140 for your own rpi to increase............

Coach34
03-07-2024, 02:50 PM

You cant put a certain numbers of wins out there and say floor.

The standard at State in baseball is make the NCAA's with the expectation of advancement to a Super or better more often than not.

Lemon is on his 3rd strike.

RezDog7
03-07-2024, 03:00 PM
I think he put together the schedule because of the new PC and giving him time to figure out the staff. Everybody knows- especially Lemon- that what he does in the SEC controls his fate- not OOC. We were 18-5 OOC last year- stacking wins. Didnt matter. This year's OOC doesnt matter either. A 14 or more SEC baseball team is not getting left out in this day as tough as the SEC is

Since we have trouble beating these crappy teams, we won't be winning 14 SEC games. No different than basketball right now. Go ahead and make other plans for that first round weekend.

basedog
03-07-2024, 03:11 PM
All games matter, maybe that has been our problem the last couple of years.

Todd4State
03-07-2024, 03:35 PM

Wouldn't matter if we went undefeated in OOC play. His fate was always tied to SEC play.

msstate7
03-07-2024, 03:54 PM
3 sec teams have an rpi outside the top 75: OM, mizzou, and us. Anyone think someone makes the tourney in this group of 3?

Coach34
03-07-2024, 03:59 PM
3 sec teams have an rpi outside the top 75: OM, mizzou, and us. Anyone think someone makes the tourney in this group of 3?

Our pitching gives us a chance. Got to scratch and claw for runs. Plus- we are pretty good defensively- .978 fielding (.964 last year)

PGHBulldogBG
03-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Winning 14 SEC games is going to be tough, but it is what it will take to make a regional. I just hope if Lemo is let go we still find a way to keep Parker. The improvement he has made with our pitching is remarkable

Tbonewannabe
03-07-2024, 04:45 PM
Polk was 7-7 going into the SEC his last year before going 9-21 in the SEC. I wonder what the floor is. I feel like the National Championship goodwill is all used up.

Not sure if squeaking into a Regional as a 3 seed is truly enough, especially if we get run ruled like last year.

parabrave
03-07-2024, 06:24 PM

This has been brought up by T&L and other entertainment outlets.

Commercecomet24
03-07-2024, 08:21 PM
All games matter, maybe that has been our problem the last couple of years.

I couldn't agree more! Yes they do!

No BS Dawg
03-07-2024, 08:32 PM
State has their hands full with Evansville this weekend. Bats better wake up quick.

Goldendawg
03-07-2024, 08:36 PM
State has their hands full with Evansville this weekend. Bats better wake up quick.

Think someone posted their RPI is 140 to our 177. Does this mean we are underdogs at home?****

Turfdawg67
03-07-2024, 09:19 PM
Exactly. Get the job done or we gonna fire that ass. It's simple

Defend, defend, defend... but give yourself a token out. Lolz

Coach34
03-07-2024, 09:38 PM
Defend, defend, defend... but give yourself a token out. Lolz

This makes no sense.

I agreed he should get a 3rd year. I also have agreed he should be fired if he doesnt get the job done.

BigDawg81
03-07-2024, 09:43 PM

Only if you win some of those

Coach34
03-07-2024, 10:09 PM
Only if you win some of those

Thats what its all about

Todd4State
03-08-2024, 03:54 AM
This makes no sense.

I agreed he should get a 3rd year. I also have agreed he should be fired if he doesnt get the job done.

It's been funny to me to see fans criticize those that said that he would come back and should come back- which we were correct about- get also criticized because Lemonis isn't performing up to standard. When the entire stance the whole time was that year three would tell the tale. Just because we won a National Championship it doesn't mean we should act like Texas A&M football.

Todd4State
03-08-2024, 04:07 AM
Winning 14 SEC games is going to be tough, but it is what it will take to make a regional. I just hope if Lemo is let go we still find a way to keep Parker. The improvement he has made with our pitching is remarkable

If we win 13 SEC games we're likely getting in. And I still say that 12 gets us on the bubble and very likely in. Our RPI will self correct from SEC wins.

Here are the current RPI's of our SEC opponents- 29, 9, 15, 14, 107 (Ole Miss which will easily go up), 70, 92, 8, 1, and 202 (Mizzou).

And then OOC right now we have top 100 South Alabama at a neutral site, Samford on the road, Central Arkansas, and 107 Ole Miss which as I said should be 100 easily by the time we play them. And sure some of those teams RPI's will fluctuate but at the same time it's also likely that someone like Austin Peay and Georgia Southern will fluctuate too.

But again- it comes down to SEC wins.

basedog
03-08-2024, 08:40 AM
If we win 13 SEC games we're likely getting in. And I still say that 12 gets us on the bubble and very likely in. Our RPI will self correct from SEC wins.

Here are the current RPI's of our SEC opponents- 29, 9, 15, 14, 107 (Ole Miss which will easily go up), 70, 92, 8, 1, and 202 (Mizzou).

And then OOC right now we have top 100 South Alabama at a neutral site, Samford on the road, Central Arkansas, and 107 Ole Miss which as I said should be 100 easily by the time we play them. And sure some of those teams RPI's will fluctuate but at the same time it's also likely that someone like Austin Peay and Georgia Southern will fluctuate too.

But again- it comes down to SEC wins.

First off, times have changed, coaches now day are paid to win now, second, we built a very expensive stadium and I expect to win, thirdly, most don't care about rpi, it is all about winning. So in saying this, he is getting third year, it's kinda iffy if he makes a 4th year. Msu has finally stepped up like a SEC program when it comes to firing coaches before contract ends, LOL.
I hope Lemonis wins big, we host a region and win it. There is no excuse our program has been last and next to last in the Sec in baseball. I expect more from our Baseball program, I'm not use to seeing us lose and not make sec or regionals.

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-08-2024, 02:01 PM
It's been funny to me to see fans criticize those that said that he would come back and should come back- which we were correct about- get also criticized because Lemonis isn't performing up to standard. When the entire stance the whole time was that year three would tell the tale. Just because we won a National Championship it doesn't mean we should act like Texas A&M football.

We fired JoMo after 2 bowl seasons because it was obvious the program was trending down.

We fired Arnett after 1 because it was obvious the program was trending down.

But Lemo can miss Hoover in back to back seasons and we keep him because he "deserves" another chance? What? He should have been gone for the same reasons JoMo and Arnett were fired; they just aren't likely to perform at the level we want moving forward

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-08-2024, 02:03 PM
You cant put a certain numbers of wins out there and say floor.

The standard at State in baseball is make the NCAA's with the expectation of advancement to a Super or better more often than not.

Lemon is on his 3rd strike.

Should JoMo have gotten a "3rd strike"?

Coach34
03-08-2024, 02:16 PM

No. His off the field issues cost him his job

Coach34
03-08-2024, 02:22 PM
We fired JoMo after 2 bowl seasons because it was obvious the program was trending down.

Based on strictly coaching- JoMo was getting another year in spite of the off field issues. Then the fight happened. Then team hotel wreaked of weed. Then we played like ass in the bowl game.

Only then was he let go

the_real_MSU_is_us
03-08-2024, 03:40 PM
Based on strictly coaching- JoMo was getting another year in spite of the off field issues. Then the fight happened. Then team hotel wreaked of weed. Then we played like ass in the bowl game.

Only then was he let go

Only then we had the EXCUSE to let him go; but 99% of the fan base -including yourself- wanted him fired before the hotel incident.

Coach34
03-08-2024, 03:44 PM
Only then we had the EXCUSE to let him go; but 99% of the fan base -including yourself- wanted him fired before the hotel incident.

I wanted him gone after he lost to Mullen. But he also didn’t have a Natty on his belt either. That’s why Lemon got a 3rd strike

Tbonewannabe
03-08-2024, 04:10 PM
I wanted him gone after he lost to Mullen. But he also didn’t have a Natty on his belt either. That’s why Lemon got a 3rd strike

This is the answer. If we had lost to Vandy in a 15 inning game 3, Lemonis is fired last year. Crossing the finish line gave him an extra get out of jail free card. He used it last year so now it is crap or get off the pot.

Quaoarsking
03-08-2024, 05:20 PM
If Moorhead won the College Football Playoff in 2018, he likely gets a very long leash after that. Can you imagine:

2018 - National Title
2019 - 6-7 oops
2020 - COVID year, nothing matters
2021 - probably suck but he gets another year
2022 - second straight non-bowl year, but the national title probably gets him one more
2023 - we fire him midseason and still say "thanks for the memories"

Todd4State
03-08-2024, 11:57 PM

This is your biggest issue and why you don't get it. You compare baseball coaching to football coaching. You can't do that because it's a completely different field. Baseball has a completely different recruiting cycle than football. Baseball coaches have to go through a full season basically without any of their recruits. In football you can have some of your own players in year one. Baseball coaches prefer stability rather than prestige from coaching in the SEC and getting a massive contract before settling down. That's why you see coaches stay at mid majors forever sometimes- especially if they are well liked and comfortable.

That's why MSU is handling Lemonis differently than they handled Moorhead. Because they actually understand the difference.

Todd4State
03-08-2024, 11:58 PM
If Moorhead won the College Football Playoff in 2018, he likely gets a very long leash after that. Can you imagine:

2018 - National Title
2019 - 6-7 oops
2020 - COVID year, nothing matters
2021 - probably suck but he gets another year
2022 - second straight non-bowl year, but the national title probably gets him one more
2023 - we fire him midseason and still say "thanks for the memories"

This is a good comparison to our situation to Lemonis but put in football terms.

msstate7
03-10-2024, 09:38 AM
And just like that, we're up to #108. Nice week so far, so let's finish it strong

basedog
03-10-2024, 09:47 AM
It really is good seeing the winning streak, been a while and things are looking better. Tough weak ahead but a good test. Need to take the series today also.

MetEdDawg
03-11-2024, 06:15 AM
Just as an update to this, I'm seeing our RPI as 88 heading into the week.

It's still too early for that stuff but for those clamoring about it, there you have it. LSU is #33.

Also, our SOS is better than Tennessee, Auburn, and Kentucky. So while we weren't exactly playing the best competition, our SOS is in the Top 50% in all of college baseball.

As another fun fact, our pitching staff is 4th in the country in K/BB ratio with just over 4. Hard to do anything but overwhelmingly praise Parker thus far for what he's done.

basedog
03-11-2024, 08:19 AM
May I add that I'm like Gomer Pile "Surprise Surprise Surprise"! But I'm very happy!

R2Dawg
03-11-2024, 03:33 PM
Just as an update to this, I'm seeing our RPI as 88 heading into the week.

It's still too early for that stuff but for those clamoring about it, there you have it. LSU is #33.

Also, our SOS is better than Tennessee, Auburn, and Kentucky. So while we weren't exactly playing the best competition, our SOS is in the Top 50% in all of college baseball.

As another fun fact, our pitching staff is 4th in the country in K/BB ratio with just over 4. Hard to do anything but overwhelmingly praise Parker thus far for what he's done.

Yeah we ain't got the worst SEC OOC schedule. Everyone plays bad teams and loses to them. Our pitching has been post season good and our bats seem to be waking up a little too. I' cautiously optimistic but still from Missouri- - show me these next two weeks.

Commercecomet24
03-11-2024, 03:39 PM
Yeah we ain't got the worst SEC OOC schedule. Everyone plays bad teams and loses to them. Our pitching has been post season good and our bats seem to be waking up a little too. I' cautiously optimistic but still from Missouri- - show me these next two weeks.

100%!

Saltydog
03-11-2024, 03:51 PM
I'm literally shocked no one has come onto this board and posted that Austin Peay was beaten yesterday by Auburn by the score of 24-5.........

BeardoMSU
03-19-2024, 11:05 AM
That's....uh....quite the jump in one week....

https://twitter.com/SECbaseball/status/1769803520813695104?s=20

Homedawg
03-19-2024, 11:10 AM
I'm literally shocked no one has come onto this board and posted that Austin Peay was beaten yesterday by Auburn by the score of 24-5.........

I'm shocked someone didn't mentioned AP had a good chance to win the series w auburn.

Coach34
03-19-2024, 11:16 AM
I'm shocked someone didn't mentioned AP had a good chance to win the series w auburn.

Should have won it. Blew Game 1

Commercecomet24
03-19-2024, 11:52 AM

It's because nobody believes small schools can actually have good baseball teams, lol. Even though year after year these so called no names schools win and can win big. Baseball is different . Imagine if in baseball you could have your best hitter just go up and hit anytime you wanted to give "him the ball" or you best pitcher could pitch every game. It's the ultimate team sport where your least player or pitcher can be a hero! It's why I love the game so much! You don't have to be 6'4" 240 beast of an athlete to compete and be successful.

Todd4State
03-19-2024, 01:52 PM
It's because nobody believes small schools can actually have good baseball teams, lol. Even though year after year these so called no names schools win and can win big. Baseball is different . Imagine if in baseball you could have your best hitter just go up and hit anytime you wanted to give "him the ball" or you best pitcher could pitch every game. It's the ultimate team sport where your least player or pitcher can be a hero! It's why I love the game so much! You don't have to be 6'4" 240 beast of an athlete to compete and be successful.

Or for example MSU. Our biggest hit in school history was essentially by a walk on.

Coach34
03-19-2024, 02:32 PM
Coastal Carolina, Fresno State, and Rice have a Natty all within the last 2 years or so. You dont have to be a big Dawg to win in baseball

Commercecomet24
03-19-2024, 03:51 PM
Coastal Carolina, Fresno State, and Rice have a Natty all within the last 2 years or so. You dont have to be a big Dawg to win in baseball

Exactly! Theres a ton of good baseball out there. Teams can win in baseball that would never have a shot in football or basketball. And that's what's so awesome about the game of baseball. It literally is any given day.

Todd4State
03-20-2024, 01:57 AM

And Ole Miss.

Leroy Jenkins
03-20-2024, 07:05 AM
And Ole Miss.

Rep.

It was Wichita back in my day, an entire roster of dirtbags.

BrunswickDawg
03-20-2024, 10:46 AM
Rep.

It was Wichita back in my day, an entire roster of dirtbags.

Wichita - victim of the greatest hidden ball trick in the history of baseball.

https://youtu.be/j45ztPQ6i2I?si=HvVfp-GcFDs_Grrt

R2Dawg
03-20-2024, 12:13 PM
Wichita - victim of the greatest hidden ball trick in the history of baseball.

https://youtu.be/j45ztPQ6i2I?si=HvVfp-GcFDs_Grrt

Awesome play.