PDA

View Full Version : Lemon?s buy out

bigbub50
02-27-2024, 05:01 PM
Is the buy out more if we do it mid-season vs waiting til after season? Does anyone know the approximate cost?

MaroonFlounder
02-28-2024, 12:01 PM
There's still a disagreement whether the amount of the buyout was the reason Lem wasn't fired after last season.

That shouldn't be the case if we have a 3rd straight non-competitive year.

Coach34
02-28-2024, 12:15 PM
Is the buy out more if we do it mid-season vs waiting til after season? Does anyone know the approximate cost?

We have to pay out his contract. His deal wasnt extended after last season obviously. It cost what it cost. If he needs to get the boot- he most assuredly will.

MStateDawg
02-28-2024, 01:27 PM

He signed a contract extension in July of 2021. It was to pay him $1.25 million in 2022 with a $25k raise every year afterwards. Assuming it was the standard 4 year contract (max allowed by Mississippi law), then we'll owe him a buyout of $1,325,000 after this season.

2022: 1,250,000
2023: 1,275,000
2024: 1,300,000
2025: 1,325,000

Homedawg
02-28-2024, 03:18 PM
He signed a contract extension in July of 2021. It was to pay him $1.25 million in 2022 with a $25k raise every year afterwards. Assuming it was the standard 4 year contract (max allowed by Mississippi law), then we'll owe him a buyout of $1,325,000 after this season.

2022: 1,250,000
2023: 1,275,000
2024: 1,300,000
2025: 1,325,000

I'm not positive but I think Cohen extended him after 22

HoopsDawg
02-28-2024, 03:37 PM

Yikes

The Federalist Engineer
02-28-2024, 06:43 PM
If I were the AD, I would have a group of former players 1990 to 2023 audit the program to report back on issues. Make sure that if you fire the coach, there are no other rogue elements contributing to problems. Groupies, clingers, jock-sniffers, or local party-dorks that are making the program soft.

The current state of the program is like watching Rocky III, "eye of the tiger", when Rocky goes soft and loses his edge. LSU winning the title is Clubber Lang.

KOdawg1
02-28-2024, 08:31 PM
Reason #420 why he was a shitty AD

MStateDawg
02-29-2024, 10:39 AM

The university always publicly announces extensions. July 2021 was the last release regarding Lemonis: https://hailstate.com/news/2021/7/26/baseball-national-coach-of-the-year-lemonis-signs-long-term-contract-extension

https://www.google.com/search?q=chris+lemonis+contract+extension

Homedawg
02-29-2024, 11:22 AM
The university always publicly announces extensions. July 2021 was the last release regarding Lemonis: https://hailstate.com/news/2021/7/26/baseball-national-coach-of-the-year-lemonis-signs-long-term-contract-extension

https://www.google.com/search?q=chris+lemonis+contract+extension

always? ok

Coach34
02-29-2024, 11:43 AM
Does it matter?

Misses NCAA's? He will be fired

Makes NCAA's? Likely keeps job unless he is a 3 seed/last team in kind of deal then it's 50/50

confucius say
02-29-2024, 01:25 PM
Let's let the season play out before we have daily threads and daily podcasts (hadad and Faulk) saying our coach is done.

Pancho
02-29-2024, 01:27 PM
pay as much attention to those 2 as the weather guy. they all get paid regardless

Todd4State
03-01-2024, 02:51 AM
I highly doubt his buyout will be an issue.

Todd4State
03-01-2024, 02:53 AM
Does it matter?

Misses NCAA's? He will be fired

Makes NCAA's? Likely keeps job unless he is a 3 seed/last team in kind of deal then it's 50/50

Not so sure about this. There just seems to be a lot of goodwill that has been burned between Lemonis and the fanbase. If he turns this around it wouldn't shock me if he pulled a Pat McMahon and left.

Coach34
03-01-2024, 07:48 AM
Not so sure about this. There just seems to be a lot of goodwill that has been burned between Lemonis and the fanbase. If he turns this around it wouldn't shock me if he pulled a Pat McMahon and left.

Mac left for a better job. Lemon won’t have that chance

basedog
03-01-2024, 07:51 AM

Polk was a problem for McMahon

Todd4State
03-01-2024, 12:51 PM

1. Not sure that I would consider Florida a "better" job than ours. We offset the lack of talent in the area with massive support. Both of us have the same amount of NC titles.

2. Depends on how we do this year and what is open and available. I wouldn't be shocked if he ends up at the Citadel.

Coach34
03-01-2024, 01:52 PM
1. Not sure that I would consider Florida a "better" job than ours. We offset the lack of talent in the area with massive support. Both of us have the same amount of NC titles.

90% of coaches would prefer the Florida job to ours.

Live in Fla
Talent all around
Same pay

DawgFromOxford
03-01-2024, 02:20 PM
My fear is he does just enough to make administration think maybe he can still be the guy so he doesn?t get fired and we continue for another year or 2 of mediocrity. Super regional or bust for me at this point.

TheLostDawg
03-02-2024, 03:01 PM
90% of coaches would prefer the Florida job to ours.

Live in Fla
Talent all around
Same pay

Hate to break it to you but Gainesville is nothing special. It isn't far from Tampa or Orlando but the town itself, well.. again,
nothing special.

CaptainObvious
03-02-2024, 09:37 PM
Hate to break it to you but Gainesville is nothing special. It isn't far from Tampa or Orlando but the town itself, well.. again,
nothing special.

Gainesville is Jackson without the high murder rate.

Coach34
03-02-2024, 10:04 PM
Gainesville is Jackson without the high murder rate.

thats fine. But Fla has no state tax and other bennies in addition to the weather. I love StarkVegas but most coaches with families do not want to move there. Nor Oxford. Moving to Mississippi is very frowned upon

TheLostDawg
03-02-2024, 11:47 PM
thats fine. But Fla has no state tax and other bennies in addition to the weather. I love StarkVegas but most coaches with families do not want to move there. Nor Oxford. Moving to Mississippi is very frowned upon

The governor was talking about getting rid of the state tax. That was pre election. Haven't heard anything since. Typical.

Homedawg
03-02-2024, 11:57 PM
The governor was talking about getting rid of the state tax. That was pre election. Haven't heard anything since. Typical.

If you get rid of income tax you have to raise sales tax or something else. You can't just stop getting the money. No great solution. And I'm not defending the governor, although he's better than the alternative

Cowbell
03-03-2024, 12:30 AM
If you get rid of income tax you have to raise sales tax or something else. You can't just stop getting the money. No great solution. And I'm not defending the governor, although he's better than the alternative

Correct. Texas has no income tax. Just the evil property tax that will cost you about $800/month on a $300k modest home

Todd4State
03-03-2024, 01:21 AM

People in Memphis have first hand knowledge of this.

RockyDog
03-03-2024, 01:25 AM

What alternative? A steaming pile of shit is better than Tate Reeves

BigDawg81
03-03-2024, 03:19 PM
We are about to find out according to an account on Twitter. Lemonis is getting fired on Thursday according to him. https://twitter.com/poohandy1/status/1764363297250328925

Coach34
03-03-2024, 03:36 PM
5 game win streak and we gonna fire the coach???? Yeahhhhhhh

BigDawg81
03-03-2024, 03:42 PM
5 game win streak and we gonna fire the coach???? YeahhhhhhhHahaha. Damn, he got mad at me for saying that I am not buying it.

Homedawg
03-03-2024, 03:45 PM
Some gullible people

TheLostDawg
03-04-2024, 06:32 PM

I was responding to c34 post. He was using that as a selling point for fl

The Federalist Engineer
03-04-2024, 08:45 PM
5 game win streak and we gonna fire the coach???? Yeahhhhhhh

I doubt it too, but this streak is the Vegan sandwich of baseball accomplishments. Jackson State and Mount St Mary are less competition than Jackson Prep or Madison Central.

Lemons is the coach until May and no interim can be hired cause the whole staff will be gone, except Parker. Just being better than Missouri won't save him.

Todd4State
03-04-2024, 08:50 PM
I doubt it too, but this streak is the Vegan sandwich of baseball accomplishments. Jackson State and Mount St Mary are less competition than Jackson Prep or Madison Central.

Lemons is the coach until May and no interim can be hired cause the whole staff will be gone, except Parker. Just being better than Missouri won't save him.

It was a really weird tweet. "Hey Chris. Looks like the team is playing better. But we just can't overlook that Austin Peay series from two weeks ago despite the winning streak. So see ya".

That would be like firing Arnett after beating Western Michigan.

99jc
03-04-2024, 08:54 PM
We are about to find out according to an account on Twitter. Lemonis is getting fired on Thursday according to him. https://twitter.com/poohandy1/status/1764363297250328925

check out the guy on that account its a black bert stare.

Tbonewannabe
03-04-2024, 10:10 PM
Correct. Texas has no income tax. Just the evil property tax that will cost you about $800/month on a $300k modest home

I am moving to Orlando area and property taxes not any higher than Starkville.

Coach34
03-04-2024, 10:42 PM

Maybe so. But until we get there- some of us remain optimistic. Us going on a win streak once healthy is not a coincidence. Get it done or we will fire your ass. Thats the bottom line. However- we aint firing him this weekend. Vitello is not leaving a job as good as ours in a state better than ours to raise kids in Mississippi

msudawg1200
03-04-2024, 10:59 PM
Maybe so. But until we get there- some of us remain optimistic. Us going on a win streak once healthy is not a coincidence. Get it done or we will fire your ass. Thats the bottom line. However- we aint firing him this weekend. Vitello is not leaving a job as good as ours in a state better than ours to raise kids in Mississippi

Tony Vitello is not married and doesn't have any kids. Just sayin. But I get your point.

Todd4State
03-05-2024, 12:04 AM

This is the quandry some of our fans have. They don't think Lemonis will get us back to where we expect to be but at the same time he may not be bad enough to justify firing.

To me, the reality is it comes down to our big baseball boosters and if this season isn't up to par I think he is gone.

basedog
03-05-2024, 08:36 AM
This is the quandry some of our fans have. They don't think Lemonis will get us back to where we expect to be but at the same time he may not be bad enough to justify firing.

To me, the reality is it comes down to our big baseball boosters and if this season isn't up to par I think he is gone.

This is my thinking Todd, but I'm hoping we "getr done" this season. I love Msu way more than any Coach whether I like them or not. I was not a Leach fan but I liked winning! I just know we have had some locker issues that caused problems and laziness in detail was costly. I think looking at the overall Sec teams, we are not as talented as the top 8, maybe top 10. Again I hope I am wrong.

PGHBulldogBG
03-05-2024, 09:17 AM
Today is a big game for Lemonis. USM is probably the best non conference team we will face this year so getting a win would be really helpful.

Tbonewannabe
03-05-2024, 10:24 AM
This is my thinking Todd, but I'm hoping we "getr done" this season. I love Msu way more than any Coach whether I like them or not. I was not a Leach fan but I liked winning! I just know we have had some locker issues that caused problems and laziness in detail was costly. I think looking at the overall Sec teams, we are not as talented as the top 8, maybe top 10. Again I hope I am wrong.

Do you think the locker room issues have been corrected? One thing Leach corrected was the lazy culture from Moorhead. I am afraid that Lemonis has let the players run things and we have been on a steady decline. Not necessarily the players fault, you have to have a coach set the standard.

Lord McBuckethead
03-05-2024, 11:02 AM
Yep, but high earners generally are not as impacted by consumption taxes, obviously.

Lord McBuckethead
03-05-2024, 11:02 AM
I learned that I make more money than Lemonis. That is interesting.

Lord McBuckethead
03-05-2024, 11:03 AM
We are probably going to lose, 7-2. Hitting quality pitching is going to be an issue.

Coach34
03-05-2024, 11:27 AM
We are probably going to lose, 7-2. Hitting quality pitching is going to be an issue.

They hit .237 as a team so giving up 7 would be disappointing

basedog
03-05-2024, 11:50 AM
Do you think the locker room issues have been corrected? One thing Leach corrected was the lazy culture from Moorhead. I am afraid that Lemonis has let the players run things and we have been on a steady decline. Not necessarily the players fault, you have to have a coach set the standard.

After the Championship game I think the players didn't have that "go to guy" to take charge. Players weren't held to "responsibility" which has led to not working hard, more of "on their own" which some didn't. Coaching has been very laid back, is it corrected, lets hope so but I don't think so but maybe a little better. It's my opinion, I could be wrong but I don't see the Msu baseball I'm use to seeing in the past. Just watching Lsu, Ark, Tn, Aub, Ala and a few others, they have passed us big time.

Hope we play today as weather is really bad right now and if so we kicked Usm to the curb. I hope I'm wrong, but time will tell not just in the next few weeks but the season.

Tbonewannabe
03-05-2024, 11:54 AM
The SEC will be where the truth comes out. We have all the run rule losses like last year and Lemonis might not make it to May. It is one thing to lose, it is completely different becoming the Vandy football of SEC baseball.

As far as tradition and reputation, I would say only LSU is above us in the SEC.

Coach34
03-05-2024, 12:13 PM
As far as tradition and reputation, I would say only LSU is above us in the SEC.

I agree with that. But that doesnt mean there arent better SEC jobs that ours. We are the same in tradition and such as Vandy, Florida, UPig, SC, etc- but coaches would rather coach at some of those places before taking our job. That's just reality. The stupidity by our forefathers to put a major college in the middle of nowhere in Mississippi has done incredible damage to the state and retarded its growth for 150 years and counting

basedog
03-05-2024, 12:34 PM
I agree with that. But that doesnt mean there arent better SEC jobs that ours. We are the same in tradition and such as Vandy, Florida, UPig, SC, etc- but coaches would rather coach at some of those places before taking our job. That's just reality. The stupidity by our forefathers to put a major college in the middle of nowhere in Mississippi has done incredible damage to the state and retarded its growth for 150 years and counting

"Small town USA has started to grow more. Coaches today 34 don't live say in Starkvegas 12 months, they make so much money they can buy dream houses to get away like Leach did, Mullen did and so on. Safety is better in StarkVegas say than Gainesville, even BR. Not everyone wants to be in metro USA. I think you are underestimating a lot of things. Some coaches don't have young families to worry so much about Education as well. In saying this, it's just about hiring the right fit for someone who wants to be at StarkVegas.

Coach34
03-05-2024, 12:49 PM
"Small town USA has started to grow more. Coaches today 34 don't live say in Starkvegas 12 months, they make so much money they can buy dream houses to get away like Leach did, Mullen did and so on. Safety is better in StarkVegas say than Gainesville, even BR. Not everyone wants to be in metro USA. I think you are underestimating a lot of things. Some coaches don't have young families to worry so much about Education as well. In saying this, it's just about hiring the right fit for someone who wants to be at StarkVegas.

I hear you and nothing you said is incorrect. I'm just saying State doesnt provide any kind of advantage that Tenn, Fla, Candy, SC, UPig dont have. So lateral moves at best are unlikely. Could we pull the guy from Campbell? absolutely. We provide an advantage he doesnt currently have.

While football and baseball are different- alot of it remains the same. Guys are very unlikely to make lateral moves. And while too many of our fans think we are a top 5 program in baseball- in all reality we arent. We are a Top 20 program. Would it be best for Lemon to work out? Absolutely. If he doesnt? We'll hire a pretty good coach to replace him. But the idiocy of pulling a Vitello or someone like that is straight delusion.

basedog
03-05-2024, 12:58 PM
I hear you and nothing you said is incorrect. I'm just saying State doesnt provide any kind of advantage that Tenn, Fla, Candy, SC, UPig dont have. So lateral moves at best are unlikely. Could we pull the guy from Campbell? absolutely. We provide an advantage he doesnt currently have.

While football and baseball are different- alot of it remains the same. Guys are very unlikely to make lateral moves. And while too many of our fans think we are a top 5 program in baseball- in all reality we arent. We are a Top 20 program. Would it be best for Lemon to work out? Absolutely. If he doesnt? We'll hire a pretty good coach to replace him. But the idiocy of pulling a Vitello or someone like that is straight delusion.

And I totally agree with what you are saying. I do think there are way more "better" coaches for baseball and even basketball now days. I don't think any Sec Coach is gonna move to another Sec program unless maybe Lsu and that can be iffy. I don't see us getting Tn's coach either. What little I know about the Campbell Coach, seems like he would be a good fit one day.

Tbonewannabe
03-05-2024, 03:44 PM
And I totally agree with what you are saying. I do think there are way more "better" coaches for baseball and even basketball now days. I don't think any Sec Coach is gonna move to another Sec program unless maybe Lsu and that can be iffy. I don't see us getting Tn's coach either. What little I know about the Campbell Coach, seems like he would be a good fit one day.

We are in better shape in baseball vs football or basketball. I don't think we will throw enough money at Vitello to get him to Starkville. Better chance getting someone from a school like Campbell or pulling a Northern coach like from Notre Dame or Michigan.

It needs to be someone that has proven they can elevate a program. Lemonis at best just maintained Indiana. He didn't improve the program.

He has come here and treaded water for a few years until all the previous players worked out of the program and now we fell off a cliff.