PDA

View Full Version : I can't defend Gautreau anymore

bulldogcountry1
02-26-2024, 04:29 PM
I've heard JG say that his coaching style is to effectively let the players learn from their mistakes early in the season and go from there. The pattern has always been consistent. We tend to get better at hitting as the season goes on.

I've always given him a pass on that because the early season hitting struggles weren't as wholesale as it is now, and it generally was good enough, had the pitching been decent.

Now, we are seeing guys who have been in the program 2-3 years looking awful. What the heck is JG teaching them in the off-season to cause them to regress? There's no reason Hines and Jordan shouldn't be raking right now. We should definitely be seeing better production from Hujsack and Downs. I swear none of these guys have seen a breaking ball in practice. It's nothing but a bunch of selfish swings, and we are always behind in the count.

preachermatt83
02-26-2024, 06:12 PM
He’s just simply not a good hitting coach. I’ve never understood why ppl thought that he was. Im far more down on him than I am Lemo.

TheLostDawg
02-26-2024, 06:15 PM
He’s just simply not a good hitting coach. I’ve never understood why ppl thought that he was. Im far more down on him than I am Lemo.

Lemo was a hitting coach prior to HC. Two hitting coaches and we can't hit

cheewgumm
02-26-2024, 07:57 PM
When we play crappy teams - sit on breaking ball

When we play SEC - sit on fastball

You?re welcome.

Skydawg1
02-26-2024, 08:05 PM
What was JG's responsibilities under Cann? Cann was the hitting coach, right?

Saltydog
02-26-2024, 08:20 PM
That was definitely the case with Rowdy Jordan. He got off to some absolutely horrible starts but always picked it up mid to late season.......

BeardoMSU
02-26-2024, 08:55 PM

Answering the phone and keeping the choice hoes on hold for the big guy**

preachermatt83
02-26-2024, 09:13 PM
Answering the phone and keeping the choice hoes on hold for the big guy**

I hollered

Todd4State
02-26-2024, 09:20 PM

Yes. But he was only here for three games with Cann.

Coach34
02-26-2024, 09:46 PM
Lemo was a hitting coach prior to HC. Two hitting coaches and we can't hit

Yeah but damn. Hitting is hitting. GoTro nor Lemon are doing anything to these guys in a major way. The slow starts to me seem to signal a practice problem. We aren?t getting enough cuts in BP?.or aren?t seeing enough breaking balls whether from the machine or live in pre-practice?something just doesn?t jeehaw. It justdoesn?t make sense about the slow starts.

The Federalist Engineer
02-26-2024, 09:58 PM
Goat was supposed to be a Scott Boras scout. Find us the best talent and have connections to MLB get MSU scoop on players that needed college to improve draft status.

Like convince 8th rounders that could be 1st rounders with college experience, to play at MSU. Seems Cohen did this much better with Westburg, Foscue, Rooker, Mangum, and many other players.

Who is Goats best player that was not inherited to him? Kellum Clark, Hines, Logan Tanner, and now Jordan? Did he maximize this talent? Is Jordan playing himself into the 1st Round?

Skydawg1
02-26-2024, 10:04 PM
Yes. But he was only here for three games with Cann.That rings a bell. I wish I could keep a job that long after the guy who hired me got canned in 3 days.

BeardoMSU
02-26-2024, 10:06 PM
Goat was supposed to be a Scott Boras scout. Find us the best talent and have connections to MLB get MSU scoop on players that needed college to improve draft status.

Like convince 8th rounders that could be 1st rounders with college experience, to play at MSU. Seems Cohen did this much better with Westburg, Foscue, Rooker, Mangum, and many other players.

Who is Goats best player that was not inherited to him? Kellum Clark, Hines, Logan Tanner, and now Jordan? Did he maximize this talent? Is Jordan playing himself into the 1st Round?

That's a good point...depressing...but good.

Todd4State
02-27-2024, 01:04 AM
Yeah but damn. Hitting is hitting. GoTro nor Lemon are doing anything to these guys in a major way. The slow starts to me seem to signal a practice problem. We aren?t getting enough cuts in BP?.or aren?t seeing enough breaking balls whether from the machine or live in pre-practice?something just doesn?t jeehaw. It justdoesn?t make sense about the slow starts.

It makes me wonder if (and who) our hitters are working with in the offseason? I would venture to guess that most SEC hitters are going to private hitting instructors in the offseason. One of the "in" things is to basically have an upper cut swing and pull everything.

Now- if that is the case it us up to Gautreau to fix that or recommend someone credible. But that may explain some of the approach issues we are seeing.

TNDawg35
02-27-2024, 05:30 AM
I just can’t put it past me that our offense has regressed this much in one off season. We harped all year on how we just need our pitching to be average and we would be fine. Well lo and behold, we got that and now our offense can’t hit swac guys, our line up has massive holes, and our power has virtually disappeared! If I was Lemonis, I would do some line up changing. Let some of the freshman get some at bats. Do something… All we heard all off season was how Hines and Hujsak were tearing up the cape. Now Hujsak can’t hit shit cause he is guessing like crazy, Dakota looks he don’t give a shit half the time and swings fastball plane on every off speed pitch, and Hines lost his pop apparently. Our best hitter and spark is a 5’5 DH who is hurt… If we are gonna keep the same guys in the line up I may try something like this…

Mershan
Larry
Koeler
Hines
Jordan
Chance
Powell
Hujsak
Cupp

TheLostDawg
02-27-2024, 10:19 AM

I remember when dak was at state. They were talking about how that team would always stay after practice/ were out there on their own time. They were true dawgs. I wonder if this time was/ is now spending the extra time outside of practice working on getting better