PDA

View Full Version : Here's a stat for all you schedule complainers-

messageboardsuperhero
12-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Assuming we end up in the Liberty Bowl against Rice, State will be the first team in the history of college football to play six 10-win teams in one season. Let this sink in- during a rebuilding year, with a very young team and terrible injury luck, we won at least 6 games while playing six 10-win teams. And if LSU wins their bowl game, that would bring the total to seven 10-win teams. It makes me feel better about our season after looking at it that way.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but while we're fighting an uphill battle in the toughest division in the history of college football, we CANNOT make it any harder than it has to be. Now quit bitching about playing Rice- because fact is, they are a solid football team.

Coach34
12-08-2013, 12:38 AM
Ok State
Auburn
Bammer
SC
Rice
Bowling Green

waiting on LSU

CadaverDawg
12-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Assuming we end up in the Liberty Bowl against Rice, State will be the first team in the history of college football to play six 10-win teams in one season. Let this sink in- during a rebuilding year, with a very young team and terrible injury luck, we won at least 6 games while playing six 10-win teams. And if LSU wins their bowl game, that would bring the total to seven 10-win teams. It makes me feel better about our season after looking at it that way.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but while we're fighting an uphill battle in the toughest division in the history of college football, we CANNOT make it any harder than it has to be. Now quit bitching about playing Rice- because fact is, they are a solid football team.

Great stuff, hero. And I agree, with us looking to finish with a winning record, I'd rather play a team we can and should beat. Every week that passes our schedule looks tougher and tougher, and winning 6 with this schedule looks more and more impressive.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Ok State
Auburn
Bammer
SC
Rice
Bowling Green

waiting on LSU

That's incredible. And we could be looking at 5 straight national titles from our division.

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Incredible stat. Wow

Coach34
12-08-2013, 12:50 AM
That's incredible. And we could be looking at 5 straight national titles from our division.

Just the fact that someone from the West is playing for the NC for the 5th year in a row is amazing

messageboardsuperhero
12-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Just the fact that someone from the West is playing for the NC for the 5th year in a row is amazing

In the last five years, the SEC West has had six teams play for a national title. Unreal.

ETA: And the kicker is, we have to play each of these teams every year. I will never understand why people want us to schedule teams like OSU when we have the SECW to contend with every year.

engie
12-08-2013, 01:16 AM
That is totally insane.

Are you positive that is the first time it's happened though?

messageboardsuperhero
12-08-2013, 01:24 AM
That is totally insane.

Are you positive that is the first time it's happened though?

I borrowed the stat from David Murray, so I assume it's correct.

Even if it has been done before, playing six or seven 10-win teams is a crazy tough schedule.

smootness
12-08-2013, 01:29 AM

And all of them would be the winner of the Iron Bowl that year. If we're going to keep narrowing it down, might as well keep going and say it's only been Bama or Auburn. Crazy.

Todd4State
12-08-2013, 01:54 AM
In the last five years, the SEC West has had six teams play for a national title. Unreal.

ETA: And the kicker is, we have to play each of these teams every year. I will never understand why people want us to schedule teams like OSU when we have the SECW to contend with every year.

It's really bizarre to me. In baseball it makes sense because of RPI and the fact that we have a legit chance to win a NC.

For us in football it doesn't make sense to do so. Being in the SEC West, we will have no problems with SOS in the BCS playoff even if we schedule four cupcakes.

I think it's more out of curiousity than anything. They see Oregon and they think "gee- I'd like to watch them play one day." Someone like Louisiana Tech may be a really good team- but they're not "interesting" enough.

That or maybe they've given Ole Miss shit for easy scheduling in the past and then they are afraid that they are going to have to face their smack.

But I will say one thing about Ole Miss fans- I remember in 1997 they went to DETROIT to the Motor City Bowl to play Marshall- which at that time had just moved up to I-A. It was their first year in I-A I believe. But they treated that bowl game like the freaking Super Bowl. Ole Miss went 7-4 that year with a last second win over us, a win over LSU, wins over Arkansas, and then they beat Central Florida (also their first year in I-A), a horrible SMU team, Vanderbilt, and Tulane. They were happy as clams to be playing the Herd.

If it were MSU fans, we would have people like- "screw Detroit and I'm not going up there to watch us play Marshall. We should be playing North Carolina!"

War Machine Dawg
12-08-2013, 03:54 PM
If we REALLY wanted to bitch, we should bitch about Mississippi getting the Music City Bowl invite instead of us. Yes, they have one more win. However, we finished ahead of them in the division and beat them head-to-head. Frankly, I think we should get the invite ahead of them. Hell, if LT 2.0 hadn't screwed us by scheduling Okie State, we'd have the same damn record as them anyway.

FFF
12-08-2013, 04:02 PM
If we REALLY wanted to bitch, we should bitch about Mississippi getting the Music City Bowl invite instead of us. Yes, they have one more win. However, we finished ahead of them in the division and beat them head-to-head. Frankly, I think we should get the invite ahead of them. Hell, if LT 2.0 hadn't screwed us by scheduling Okie State, we'd have the same damn record as them anyway.

Yea, but let's face it... wins over Texas, LSU, and Vandy and a 7-5 overall record look a lot better than Kentucky, Arkansas, and OM and a 6-6 overall record. Our best win was BGSU. Quite frankly, I'm excited about playing in Memphis (assuming the rumors are correct) because I actually get to go this year. I wouldn't be able to go to Nashville because I have to work on 12/30. I couldn't go to Jacksonville, Birmingham (baseball SECT), or Omaha either because of work.

messageboardsuperhero
12-08-2013, 04:11 PM
It's really bizarre to me. In baseball it makes sense because of RPI and the fact that we have a legit chance to win a NC.

For us in football it doesn't make sense to do so. Being in the SEC West, we will have no problems with SOS in the BCS playoff even if we schedule four cupcakes.

I think it's more out of curiousity than anything. They see Oregon and they think "gee- I'd like to watch them play one day." Someone like Louisiana Tech may be a really good team- but they're not "interesting" enough.

That or maybe they've given Ole Miss shit for easy scheduling in the past and then they are afraid that they are going to have to face their smack.

But I will say one thing about Ole Miss fans- I remember in 1997 they went to DETROIT to the Motor City Bowl to play Marshall- which at that time had just moved up to I-A. It was their first year in I-A I believe. But they treated that bowl game like the freaking Super Bowl. Ole Miss went 7-4 that year with a last second win over us, a win over LSU, wins over Arkansas, and then they beat Central Florida (also their first year in I-A), a horrible SMU team, Vanderbilt, and Tulane. They were happy as clams to be playing the Herd.

If it were MSU fans, we would have people like- "screw Detroit and I'm not going up there to watch us play Marshall. We should be playing North Carolina!"

They've been like that ever since I can remember. UM pimps everything they do like it's the national championship- and to an extent, our fans could learn something from that. We just have people who fall for their lines every time- whether it's "State plays a shitty schedule" or "State only care about the Egg Bowl."

I swear, State could be playing in the National Title and UM could be at the Compass Bowl, but UM people would somehow convince some of our fans that playing in Birmingham is better than playing in Pasadena.

angusyoung
12-08-2013, 04:37 PM
We shouldn't be satisfied till every team we play is a ten win team!!!! What is this ***** bullshit?!

War Machine Dawg
12-08-2013, 04:48 PM
They've been like that ever since I can remember. UM pimps everything they do like it's the national championship- and to an extent, our fans could learn something from that. We just have people who fall for their lines every time- whether it's "State plays a shitty schedule" or "State only care about the Egg Bowl."

I swear, State could be playing in the National Title and UM could be at the Compass Bowl, but UM people would somehow convince some of our fans that playing in Birmingham is better than playing in Pasadena.

I agree. If we'd learn to pull the rope together instead of constantly fighting ourselves, we'd have left that BearShark ass in the dust a long time ago. Instead, they live rent free in enough of our own fans heads that we can't get out of our own damn way. We have a faction that has to constantly bitch, measure their dicks against the BearSharks, and say the grass is always greener in Oxford. I think I'd die from shock if our fanbase every actually united and started pulling the rope together.

OurState
12-08-2013, 05:12 PM

The Bowl gets to choose as long as it is within 1 game. So the bowl would have its choice if we had one more win or two more wins.

The way you change the bowls mind is travel well.

Buy lots of liberty bowl tickets. Last year OM sent an insane number of people to the Compass bowl, that performance likely made other less shitty bowls take notice.

BulldogBear
12-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Yea, but let's face it... wins over Texas, LSU, and Vandy and a 7-5 overall record look a lot better than Kentucky, Arkansas, and OM and a 6-6 overall record. Our best win was BGSU. Quite frankly, I'm excited about playing in Memphis (assuming the rumors are correct) because I actually get to go this year. I wouldn't be able to go to Nashville because I have to work on 12/30. I couldn't go to Jacksonville, Birmingham (baseball SECT), or Omaha either because of work.

Yes, but using his logic is actually the same as Ole Miss getting a bowl over us in 1997. They as much as said it was because choosing between us they picked them because they won our game. Don't forget that year we beat the SEC CHAMPS 20-0 on their own home field. That beats the dawgs outa any of their wins that year EXCEPT the H2H matchup.

This year we have the same record and beat them head up. True, their wins look better but are we going to start making quality of wins the tie breaker over head to head. That would be extremely unjust. I'm not saying I would try to use it THIS PARTICULAR YEAR to justify going to a better bowl than them but the logic is still sound if one chooses to use it. You better believe if fortunes were reversed there'd be all kinds of uproar about it being the worst screwing anyone ever had in the history of bowl selection that they didn't get the better nod.