PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel better or worse about the baseball team now, compared to Thursday?

Quaoarsking
02-18-2024, 05:35 PM
I'm going slightly worse, but not by much since I already wasn't feeling good in the first place. The bad loss is a red flag, but I'll reserve judgment until I see if it was a freak "that's baseball" thing or if we rack up a bunch more.

However, the way we lost on Saturday (baserunning and poor pitching management) are further indication of what we pretty much all knew - Lemonis just isn't that good of a coach. We are one of 4 fanbases in the entire NCAA who care about baseball, and we arguably care the most. ANY halfway decent coach should be fairly successful here. Unlike other sports, we don't have to find a unicorn to win big, so there's less risk in making the change.

As of right now, I do still think we will make the Tournament this year with improved pitching, and I think Lemonis will get 2025. I don't think he should get 2025 unless we host (or at the very least barely miss hosting), but we clearly don't have leadership that agrees with my bolded statement above.

Leroy Jenkins
02-18-2024, 05:56 PM
I actually feel better after seeing the guys we've added in person. This portal class has been a pleasant surprise. Was there any word on Kohler?

BrunswickDawg
02-18-2024, 06:19 PM
I feel better so far. The pitching is noticeably more aggressive and is throwing strikes. Hitting was ok - but hitting is usually a little behind early. Defense was markedly better. The only real oof was base running, but frankly we've had a ton of boneheaded base running over the past decade so I just chalk it up to base running not being an emphasis anymore (and I see just as much boneheaded base running in college ball beyond MSU).

But, these are just 3 games. I'm gonna wait and watch the OOC before starting to judge.

Coursesuper
02-18-2024, 06:27 PM
We’ve played 3 games. This is not a sprint. At least we’re not pitching like 9 year olds.

BuckyIsAB****
02-18-2024, 06:28 PM
3 years in a row of losing to a probable losing record team on opening weekend.

I guess it was just baseball for the past 2 years too

Bothrops
02-18-2024, 06:36 PM
Fans that know baseball, don't actually know baseball. I feel the same.

Homedawg
02-18-2024, 06:43 PM
I'm going slightly worse, but not by much since I already wasn't feeling good in the first place. The bad loss is a red flag, but I'll reserve judgment until I see if it was a freak "that's baseball" thing or if we rack up a bunch more.

However, the way we lost on Saturday (baserunning and poor pitching management) are further indication of what we pretty much all knew - Lemonis just isn't that good of a coach. We are one of 4 fanbases in the entire NCAA who care about baseball, and we arguably care the most. ANY halfway decent coach should be fairly successful here. Unlike other sports, we don't have to find a unicorn to win big, so there's less risk in making the change.

As of right now, I do still think we will make the Tournament this year with improved pitching, and I think Lemonis will get 2025. I don't think he should get 2025 unless we host (or at the very least barely miss hosting), but we clearly don't have leadership that agrees with my bolded statement above.

Better in this sense... we pounded the zone for all but a couple of instances.
Worse in this..... we have 3 injuries. One we aren't getting back and we could afford him to be a 230 hitting catcher while hitting 12 hr if he was improved behind the dish. But he's not a dh. Kohler is going to be out a while. That hurts and hurts bad. Mershon still out for a bit. That's 2.5 big hits to the lineup and now our 7-9 are not good offensively. So rough on days that our top 6 don't hit.

WSOPdawg
02-18-2024, 06:49 PM
I feel better than last year when our pitching was so abysmal. I like that we only had 6 walks over the 3 games (with one being intentional BB) so we're not giving away free outs. I think our infield defense is much improved (really like Cupp at SS) and when Kohler returns, we have a chance to be among the best in the SEC. I was hoping for more from Colby and am not sure Dohm is the answer on Friday nights.

BUT Pitching and defense will win a lot of games.

As for offense, I'm still concerned that we need a more protection for Dakota and Hunter. We're still a work in progress so as long as we get better with each passing week/month (and don't blow the season on the front end), I remain optimistic we can make a regional.

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-18-2024, 06:51 PM
The same. Last year, the team was bad defensively, sloppy at base running , mid overall on offense, awful on the mound, and the team didn't have that "it" factor at all.

This season, I expect us to be better on the mound (still sub par overall), better defensively (still subpar overall), maybe a bit improved on O (have talent returning but lost Ledbetter and Clark)... and still suck at the basics and the "it" factor because those are HC issues -not pitching coach ones- so why'd I expect them to be fixed?

I will not let my opinion be swayed till the end of the 3rd weekend. This is baseball, and the season is long. Hope I'm wrong overall but I think we finish about 10th in the SEC

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-18-2024, 06:53 PM
I feel better than last year when our pitching was so abysmal. I like that we only had 6 walks over the 3 games (with one being intentional BB) so we're not giving away free outs. I think our infield defense is much improved (really like Cupp at SS) and when Kohler returns, we have a chance to be among the best in the SEC. I was hoping for more from Colby and am not sure Dohm is the answer on Friday nights.

BUT Pitching and defense will win a lot of games.

As for offense, I'm still concerned that we need a more protection for Dakota and Hunter. We're still a work in progress so as long as we get better with each passing week/month (and don't blow the season on the front end), I remain optimistic we can make a regional.

My how far we've fallen that "make a regional" is considered "optimistic"

MetEdDawg
02-18-2024, 06:55 PM
I feel much better.

1) Pitching looks much improved. Threw a lot of strikes, limited walks, and didn't get a lot of hard hit balls off of us during the weekend. Seems like we've got some depth and still haven't shown all our arms yet.

2) Scored 20 runs in very cold weather this weekend. Air Force is a better opponent than most everyone else the SEC played this weekend. So I would say not bad there. Need better approaches but again it's February and it's cold.

3) Defense seems much improved. Cupp can flat out glove it at SS. Rest of the team seems fine.

4) No Mershon, Kohler out games 2 and 3, and Highfill limited to DH role.

All in all there's nothing this early that screams glaring weakness that will hold us back. Keep it moving to next weekend.

basedog
02-18-2024, 07:02 PM
We should be better but I'm not sure where we will stack up in Sec play. I think we are in the bottom half of the league, it's early and we need to get healthy. I really like what I saw in Stephen's and closer on Friday!

99jc
02-18-2024, 07:10 PM
our players i feel good about. Our head coach not so much.

Coursesuper
02-18-2024, 07:20 PM
We should be better but I'm not sure where we will stack up in Sec play. I think we are in the bottom half of the league, it's early and we need to get healthy. I really like what I saw in Stephen's and closer on Friday!

Spot on.

parabrave
02-18-2024, 07:23 PM
I feel better so far. The pitching is noticeably more aggressive and is throwing strikes. Hitting was ok - but hitting is usually a little behind early. Defense was markedly better. The only real oof was base running, but frankly we've had a ton of boneheaded base running over the past decade so I just chalk it up to base running not being an emphasis anymore (and I see just as much boneheaded base running in college ball beyond MSU).

But, these are just 3 games. I'm gonna wait and watch the OOC before starting to judge.

This

Tbonewannabe
02-18-2024, 07:40 PM
Baserunning still drives me crazy. Not sure why they let Holcomb back out in the 9th when he obviously didn't have it. Even then, how you let him walk two before pulling him is on the coaching staff.

Hitters still take bad approaches. I think our lineup even with the injuries is good enough to get into a Regional. Pitching staff is greatly improved but not sure that we have a Friday guy for the 3rd year in a row.

Every year we seem to send out a guy that would be everyone else's Saturday guy so we aren't on a level playing field. Maybe Khal is that guy, I am certainly hoping.

Quaoarsking
02-18-2024, 08:04 PM

And that's why we should move on from Lemonis even if he makes a Regional.

Saltydog
02-18-2024, 08:12 PM
My concerns are the bottom half of the order.....The bottom 5 didn't hit shit.......Getting Mershon back in the lineup in place of Cupp will help some but losing Kohler hurts bad......Outside of the top 4 (Larry, Jordan, Hines and Chance) the rest of the lineup went a combined 10 for 48 for the weekend.........That's against AF pitching, which was supposed to be their weakness........

BuckyIsAB****
02-18-2024, 08:30 PM

Ding ding ding

Coach34
02-18-2024, 08:30 PM
And that's why we should move on from Lemonis even if he makes a Regional.

Many of us arent worried about making a Regional

BuckyIsAB****
02-18-2024, 08:32 PM
Many of us arent worried about making a Regional

Yeah I think everyone just wants to make Hoover. Would be something we havent done in a while

Coach34
02-18-2024, 08:37 PM
I feel much better.

1) Pitching looks much improved. Threw a lot of strikes, limited walks, and didn't get a lot of hard hit balls off of us during the weekend. Seems like we've got some depth and still haven't shown all our arms yet.

2) Scored 20 runs in very cold weather this weekend. Air Force is a better opponent than most everyone else the SEC played this weekend. So I would say not bad there. Need better approaches but again it's February and it's cold.

3) Defense seems much improved. Cupp can flat out glove it at SS. Rest of the team seems fine.

4) No Mershon, Kohler out games 2 and 3, and Highfill limited to DH role.

All in all there's nothing this early that screams glaring weakness that will hold us back. Keep it moving to next weekend.

This is the correct answer.

Pitching? 27 innings- only gave up 20 hits, 7 earned runs...38 K's to 9 BB's. Air Force made the Top 32 in 2022 and usually finishes around .500 They arent VMI or Central Arkansas

Hitting? .297 in the cold with 20 runs in 3 games. With multiple starters out.

Good weekend to start but the injuries are concerning. Losing your 3B guy on Day 1 is simply bad luck. But we can get around that. Mershon needs to get healthy.

At least we didnt lose to St Johns

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
02-18-2024, 11:16 PM
My concerns are the bottom half of the order.....The bottom 5 didn't hit shit.......Getting Mershon back in the lineup in place of Cupp will help some but losing Kohler hurts bad......Outside of the top 4 (Larry, Jordan, Hines and Chance) the rest of the lineup went a combined 10 for 48 for the weekend.........That's against AF pitching, which was supposed to be their weakness........

Listening to the radio broadcast today, Jay Powell said something about our approach over the last several years that led to pulling and rolling over on balls, especially against guys that don't burn up the radar. Why can't Gotro see that?

The Federalist Engineer
02-18-2024, 11:57 PM
Broadcast issue for MSU.

Please stop giving Air Time to the neck beard Dweebs behind the Opponent Bullpen. These sad cats need to be drugged and dropped off in College Station Texas. They belong there.

Please use the cameras to find Smoke-Shows. The Dude has 125 worthy M!LFS on any given weekend, the camera director is probably a dork too. This is the kind of stuff that Ole Miss does better. Made themselves cool. We give air time to homeless.

This is Foxhall level incompetence

TNDawg35
02-19-2024, 12:49 AM
The holes in the lineup are what concerns me. Also, who is going to play 3B Longterm until Koehler gets back. Chester is doing ok, but not the solution. Wonder if Larry can play 3b once Mershon gets back. Cupp loos dang good at SS and has hit a couple balls really hard. He just needs at bats. We know Mershon is going to rake. I wouldn't mind trying Larry at 3b, Cupp at SS, and Mershon at 2b.

The pitching looked really good compared to last year. We have a bonified starter in Stephens and Lo. Just need to find another. I would move Dohm back to the bullpen. He fits better there. I think Dotson looked really good. His ball kind of jumped past hitters.

Overall, I think it was a decent wknd. The loss is what it is. We beat ourselves for the most part with bad hitting and then Holcomb being Holcomb. I would prolly would have brought in Shulke to end it with the 2 runers on. Maybe he could have gotten a ground ball or better yet, just struck them all out. Hell they couldn't touch him Friday night. We shouldn't need him against AP Tues and Wed so let him throw. Looking around the league, everyone had one of those losses or played a close game. Look at Vandy, they were a pop fly from losing 2 of 3... OM supposedly all world freshman pitcher got tore up, Hagen Smith from Arkansas looked like shit, LSU had trouble at times and then their crackerjack park saved them.

Todd4State
02-19-2024, 01:26 AM
I give us an incomplete. We look like a team trying to figure out our roles with the pitchers and what they can do and we're missing three starters. I still think this team eventually comes together because it's only a matter of time before our guys gets healthy and we figure out our roles in the pitching staff.

Pitchers threw strikes and lo and behold we struck out even more guys compared to first weekend of last year. I think Dohm needs to be in the bullpen and I think we need to consider looking at Holcombe as a starting pitcher in the midweek and see how he does as crazy as that may sound. I just don't think he is comfortable as a relief pitcher. He has talent- they just have to harness it and bring it out of him. Khal Stephen and Karson Ligdon looked promising and Loo looked great but got tired. The good news is Schuelke, Tyler Davis, and Brett Auger can definitely help us and I think Gavin Black can as well. I want to see what Will Passaeu and Logan Forsythe give us during the midweek games. I thought Parker managed the staff as a whole much better. Speaking of game two- if that wasn't Stephen's first start of the year there is zero doubt in my mind he stays in. Based on this weekend I'm going to guess that by the end of the year the rotation is Stephen, Ligdon, and Loo. But I could see someone like Holcombe or Loftin sneaking in as well. Also- we should get Simmons and Pico Kohn back at some point and that will help the bullpen.

Offense was OK I thought. Definitely not too worried about it since Kohler and Mershon weren't playing. One thing I don't like about Dakota hitting second is it takes away the opportunity for hit and runs and things like that because we don't want to take the bat out of his hands. I kind of wonder if Mershon will end up hitting leadoff or number two eventually? Right now we're top heavy and the bottom third of our lineup is a black hole. Game two was just weird with a bunch of baserunning misadventures. Very typical early season loss actually. When we have runners slipping and they get thrown out trying to steal second and then we get a guy picked off of first base and a guy thrown out at second when he thought the ball was somewhere else- bizarre. We actually outhit them in game two and then we scored 8 and 10 runs in the other two. Once we get healthy we should be better.

Defense was better as whole as well. The one error we made today was by a guy who probably won't start long term. Another error in game one when Hujsack overran a ball which is kind of weird. It happens- but we were pretty solid overall. Cupp and Kohler make us a LOT better on the infield. And then Mershon at second is really good too. Catchers looked solid. So, definitely better.

So...I feel about the same as I did at the beginning of the year. Will be interesting and fun to watch this team evolve.

MetEdDawg
02-19-2024, 06:30 AM
I give us an incomplete. We look like a team trying to figure out our roles with the pitchers and what they can do and we're missing three starters. I still think this team eventually comes together because it's only a matter of time before our guys gets healthy and we figure out our roles in the pitching staff.

Pitchers threw strikes and lo and behold we struck out even more guys compared to first weekend of last year. I think Dohm needs to be in the bullpen and I think we need to consider looking at Holcombe as a starting pitcher in the midweek and see how he does as crazy as that may sound. I just don't think he is comfortable as a relief pitcher. He has talent- they just have to harness it and bring it out of him. Khal Stephen and Karson Ligdon looked promising and Loo looked great but got tired. The good news is Schuelke, Tyler Davis, and Brett Auger can definitely help us and I think Gavin Black can as well. I want to see what Will Passaeu and Logan Forsythe give us during the midweek games. I thought Parker managed the staff as a whole much better. Speaking of game two- if that wasn't Stephen's first start of the year there is zero doubt in my mind he stays in. Based on this weekend I'm going to guess that by the end of the year the rotation is Stephen, Ligdon, and Loo. But I could see someone like Holcombe or Loftin sneaking in as well. Also- we should get Simmons and Pico Kohn back at some point and that will help the bullpen.

Offense was OK I thought. Definitely not too worried about it since Kohler and Mershon weren't playing. One thing I don't like about Dakota hitting second is it takes away the opportunity for hit and runs and things like that because we don't want to take the bat out of his hands. I kind of wonder if Mershon will end up hitting leadoff or number two eventually? Right now we're top heavy and the bottom third of our lineup is a black hole. Game two was just weird with a bunch of baserunning misadventures. Very typical early season loss actually. When we have runners slipping and they get thrown out trying to steal second and then we get a guy picked off of first base and a guy thrown out at second when he thought the ball was somewhere else- bizarre. We actually outhit them in game two and then we scored 8 and 10 runs in the other two. Once we get healthy we should be better.

Defense was better as whole as well. The one error we made today was by a guy who probably won't start long term. Another error in game one when Hujsack overran a ball which is kind of weird. It happens- but we were pretty solid overall. Cupp and Kohler make us a LOT better on the infield. And then Mershon at second is really good too. Catchers looked solid. So, definitely better.

So...I feel about the same as I did at the beginning of the year. Will be interesting and fun to watch this team evolve.

I'm with you on Dakota Jordan. I feel like Chance should be in the 2 hole and Jordan in the 4. Chance has the better 2 hole approach. More consistent hitter to all fields and fewer strikeouts will come from his bat. Definitely a better hit and run candidate. Although I will say early returns show you don't want to pitch to Chance either so I could see him staying 4 hole.

I'm not sure if the plan was for Mershon to lead off or not but I like Larry in the 5 or 6 if that was the plan when Mershon comes back.

StarkVegasSteve
02-19-2024, 10:00 AM
I feel slightly better. Our biggest problems on the weekend was a second closer and baserunning. The baserunning is an easily fixable solution. The pitching, although concerning, is not near the problem it was last year through one weekend. We cut our walks in half compared to opening weekend last year.

The Federalist Engineer
02-19-2024, 12:10 PM
DH situation

I hope McKenzie and Nolan Stevens keep getting opportunities, MSU must make this position productive, especially with Kohler out for 2 to 8 weeks

For those that don't follow Baseball recruiting, Nolan Stevens is a superstar recruit.

DawgFromOxford
02-19-2024, 12:28 PM
I feel better. Pitching looks very much improved. Did Holcomb help give a game away on Saturday? Yes. Did our bats help lose that game? Also yes.

Base running has been frustrating, but I don't recall that really being an issue for us in the past and should be easy to fix.

Our bats always seem subpar to start the season compared to how they finish. Seems to be a staple of Gautreau. I don't know if that stats actually back that up or not, but thats my perception anyways.

All that to say, improvement over last year doesn't say much, but at least it's improvement. If you can win 2 out of 3 every weekend then you'll be just fine. I'd rather lose a game 3-2 because our bats didn't show up than lose a game 15-11 because our pitching walked the whole batting order.

ScooterDog
02-19-2024, 12:47 PM
I?m anxious to see new pitchers and other new players for the mid-week games. That might give us a feel of the overall strength of this team.

MaroonFlounder
02-19-2024, 01:07 PM
Some of y'all really like Holcombe, but can he be trusted to not give up tons of walks at the worst possible time?

Why was he not pulled after the 1st walk? Those 2 runs beat us.

DEDawg
02-19-2024, 01:57 PM
Much, much better. Really not sure how anyone could possibly feel worse

MetEdDawg
02-19-2024, 03:40 PM
Some of y'all really like Holcombe, but can he be trusted to not give up tons of walks at the worst possible time?

Because you have to let guys figure stuff out early in the season. Can't kill a kids confidence game 2 in a 50+ game season.

Oh hey you walked a couple guys in your first game of the season. Forget ever pitching in another situation like that again but hey we still need you to just keep your chin up and do your best in these no leverage situations!

Kid deserves a couple more shots to see what he can do. Now if it's game 15 or 20 and this is still happening? Yeah sorry bud we've given you a fair shake. But game 2? No way.

We need Holcombe in order to maximize our potential as a team. I think we would all agree a really good Holcombe makes our team better. Can anyone really tell me after one game that Holcombe can't help us?

I sure can't.

basedog
02-19-2024, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=MetEdDawg;1584434]Because you have to let guys figure stuff out early in the season. Can't kill a kids confidence game 2 in a 50+ game season.

Oh hey you walked a couple guys in your first game of the season. Forget ever pitching in another situation like that again but hey we still need you to just keep your chin up and do your best in these no leverage situations!

Kid deserves a couple more shots to see what he can do. Now if it's game 15 or 20 and this is still happening? Yeah sorry bud we've given you a fair shake. But game 2? No way.

We need Holcombe in order to maximize our potential as a team. I think we would all agree a really good Holcombe makes our team better. Can anyone really tell me after one game that Holcombe can't help us?

I sure can't.[/Q

Iffy, but I wish for the very best for him moving forward. I think he is more of a middle relief guy.

Todd4State
02-19-2024, 04:32 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wc9JvTXGc&pp=ygUSanVzdCBhIGJpdCBvdXRzaWRl

This where we are with Holcombe. You know how it ends in the movie. Let's hope for a similar result.

Jarius
02-19-2024, 04:40 PM
Baseball team is fine. They aren’t going to be elite but it will be ok. I don’t know if Lemonis will survive with ok but I guess we will see.

Todd4State
02-19-2024, 05:12 PM
Baseball team is fine. They aren’t going to be elite but it will be ok. I don’t know if Lemonis will survive with ok but I guess we will see.

That's the million dollar question to me. If he just makes a regional then what? My stance has and still stands at SR or go unless you win the SEC or SEC Tournament.

I could tell by the way he acted this weekend that he is feeling the heat.

Mjoelner34
02-19-2024, 05:34 PM
Because you have to let guys figure stuff out early in the season. Can't kill a kids confidence game 2 in a 50+ game season.

I sure can't.

But it wasn't game 2. It was 1 inning with 3 walks after averaging more than a walk per inning last year in 36 innings. That's a pretty strong trend. I'd give him a couple of looks in middle relief in the upcoming midweek games to see if he can find the plate.

MetEdDawg
02-19-2024, 06:38 PM
But it wasn't game 2. It was 1 inning with 3 walks after averaging more than a walk per inning last year in 36 innings. That's a pretty strong trend. I'd give him a couple of looks in middle relief in the upcoming midweek games to see if he can find the plate.

It's still game 2. New pitching coach, entire offseason, new team dynamics, different expectations.

And it's his first time on the mound this year in 40 degree weather. You give the kid a pass and a couple more chances. Period.

And I'll say this. Our coaching staff isn't just stupid. There's a reason he was in that situation. Because the work he had done made the staff feel like he was going to succeed in that situation. They don't just grab straws and see who goes out there. There's a reason why.

Let's give it more than 1 game. Folks that have coached before understand this concept. I would just be interested to know how many people that have coached high school or above are actually calling for Holcombe to never have another chance in that same spot again this early.

Tbonewannabe
02-19-2024, 07:02 PM

I sure can't.

Holcombe was missing in the same spot over and over. He shouldn't have went out in the 9th but should have definitely been pulled after the first walk. What does it help when you see he just doesn't have it that day to let him keep struggling?

the_real_MSU_is_us
02-19-2024, 07:21 PM
That's the million dollar question to me. If he just makes a regional then what? My stance has and still stands at SR or go unless you win the SEC or SEC Tournament.

I could tell by the way he acted this weekend that he is feeling the heat.

Agreed 100% with your take. That's how it SHOULD be

However... we kept him after he missed Hover back to back years. Making a regional is a solid step forward. Would we really fire a coach that showed improvement? Right after we just bought out the football coach?

I fear that if we make a regional the same powers that brought him back after missing Hoover back to back will say "He's on the right path, give him another year". Then some on here will argue that we can't find a replacement coach anyway because "who'd want to work at a place that fires you after you improve the team and make a regional?"

maroonmania
02-19-2024, 10:44 PM
Holcombe was missing in the same spot over and over. He shouldn't have went out in the 9th but should have definitely been pulled after the first walk. What does it help when you see he just doesn't have it that day to let him keep struggling?

That's my whole take on Holcombe. He had already shown in the 8th that he was struggling in that particular game with control. Maybe his control issues aren't fixed yet or maybe it was just pitching in cold weather or maybe something else. Doesn't mean he shouldn't get more chances down the line but I felt very uneasy when he came back out in the 9th. Not sure why the coaches didn't feel the say way? I personally didn't think he should have come back out in the 9th but why he was allowed to stay in after walking the leadoff hitter is truly beyond me? We currently need to secure every win possible over letting someone work out their issues in a one run ball game.

Todd4State
02-19-2024, 10:57 PM
Agreed 100% with your take. That's how it SHOULD be

However... we kept him after he missed Hover back to back years. Making a regional is a solid step forward. Would we really fire a coach that showed improvement? Right after we just bought out the football coach?

I fear that if we make a regional the same powers that brought him back after missing Hoover back to back will say "He's on the right path, give him another year". Then some on here will argue that we can't find a replacement coach anyway because "who'd want to work at a place that fires you after you improve the team and make a regional?"

I'm honestly not sure what would happen. He's very much on the hot seat. The standards and expectations are higher here and they should be. Getting to a regional here isn't the same as it would be at say Auburn or Alabama. Arnett's buyout was pretty low and will not factor in this decision at all. His attitude is completely different this year than any other year so far- he's much more fiery in the dugout than normal. Has gotten on to umpires more and more.

I know you don't believe me but so far we have handled this the right way. You may not like it- but firing him last year would have led to a really bad situation and because we didn't fire him we were able to secure some key recruits that are now on campus and have now signed LOI's for next year. The powers that be understand that. It has allowed us to put ourselves in a great position for the next coach. It's not about the powers at be "liking Lemonis". It's about the powers at be making sure our program doesn't turn into Texas A&M football.

All comes down to how the season goes. Unless things go obviously sideways. More than likely if we have to fire Lemonis I could see it being framed more as a resignation than a firing. I wouldn't be completely shocked if he resigned anyway to tell you the truth. Seems like there are a lot of fans that just don't like Lemonis. Something goes wrong and he immediately gets jumped on and attacked. I think they want someone fiery like Vitello or someone who is super Christian like Justin Haire. But of course if we were to hire Vitello then fans would complain about how he yells at umpires and how the team acts on the field. Same as when everyone wanted Cohen as baseball coach until he was hired. And then the cussing at players was suddenly an issue.

Todd4State
02-19-2024, 11:04 PM
That's my whole take on Holcombe. He had already shown in the 8th that he was struggling in that particular game with control. Maybe his control issues aren't fixed yet or maybe it was just pitching in cold weather or maybe something else. Doesn't mean he shouldn't get more chances down the line but I felt very uneasy when he came back out of the 9th. Not sure why the coaches didn't feel the say way? I personally didn't think he should have come back out in the 9th but why he was allowed to stay in after walking the leadoff hitter is truly beyond me? We currently need to secure every win possible over letting someone work out their issues in a one run ball game.

He was one of our best pitchers in scrimmages as a whole. And he is one of the more veteran guys as far as SEC experience goes. No one has really been able to answer who should have pitched there instead? At this point there are simply no obvious answers. That was Auger's first game coming back from an injury. I don't think that's the situation they wanted him in. Dohm is masquerading as a starting pitcher right now. Gavin Black looked good but was an unknown and his command wasn't super sharp and it looked like he had some nerves. Siary is a veteran but he had a rough outing the day before. We still don't know anything about Will Passeau or Logan Forsythe as far as what they can give us. Guys like Simmons, Loftin, and Kohn are injured so they weren't options.

I can't put it all on pitching or Holcombe though. Our baserunning was awful and we should have had more than two runs to start with.

Coursesuper
02-20-2024, 07:59 AM
We've played three games in a 50 game schedule. If you think you have a grasp on exactly where this team is at the end of the year then you should be running out today an snapping up that winning lottery ticket. The only thing that I could tell was that for the most part we didn't pitch like 9 year old's, which is an improvement.

basedog
02-20-2024, 08:04 AM
He was one of our best pitchers in scrimmages as a whole. And he is one of the more veteran guys as far as SEC experience goes. No one has really been able to answer who should have pitched there instead? At this point there are simply no obvious answers. That was Auger's first game coming back from an injury. I don't think that's the situation they wanted him in. Dohm is masquerading as a starting pitcher right now. Gavin Black looked good but was an unknown and his command wasn't super sharp and it looked like he had some nerves. Siary is a veteran but he had a rough outing the day before. We still don't know anything about Will Passeau or Logan Forsythe as far as what they can give us. Guys like Simmons, Loftin, and Kohn are injured so they weren't options.

I can't put it all on pitching or Holcombe though. Our baserunning was awful and we should have had more than two runs to start with.

I agree. Whole lot of difference in practice and game time. I've played and coached folks who were like two different folks when they got into a real game. Practice isn't intense nor have a crowd watching. Kinda like a speech class, some folks can relax and deliver their practice speech and some can't.

KentuckyDawg13
02-20-2024, 08:05 AM
https://notesfromachair.files.wordpress.com/2021/10/200.gif

basedog
02-20-2024, 08:06 AM
I feel better about this season moving forward, but like most I have no clue yet where we stand in the Sec, after all we are a "baseball school".

CaptainObvious
02-20-2024, 08:17 AM
I just think Holcombe was used to getting a lot of swing and miss on off the plate pitches in high school and he continues to think nibbling just off the plate is his best approach. But a guy with his Velo needs to challenge hitters in the zone. They may lose one in the trees from time to time, but he needs to see he can get guys out by going right at em.

The Federalist Engineer
02-20-2024, 02:16 PM
I understand that the collegiate strike zone has changed for pitcher advantage, somewhat. Not sure of the broadcast source, may have been Jay Powell.

We'll see in the numbers as the season moves along.

After this Air Force series, MSU has a 4:1 k to bb ratio. While using 16 pitchers. That's pretty good improvement over the 1.6:1 KK to BB ratio in 2023. By the way, 1/3 of all the team walks, were by Holcombe.

Todd4State
02-20-2024, 02:34 PM
I just think Holcombe was used to getting a lot of swing and miss on off the plate pitches in high school and he continues to think nibbling just off the plate is his best approach. But a guy with his Velo needs to challenge hitters in the zone. They may lose one in the trees from time to time, but he needs to see he can get guys out by going right at em.

I doubt he was getting calls in the opposite batters box of the hitter in high school. LOL.

Todd4State
02-20-2024, 02:35 PM
I agree. Whole lot of difference in practice and game time. I've played and coached folks who were like two different folks when they got into a real game. Practice isn't intense nor have a crowd watching. Kinda like a speech class, some folks can relax and deliver their practice speech and some can't.

Exactly. Unfortunately he didn't deliver this time.

Quaoarsking
02-20-2024, 07:39 PM
A little worse again. Still not the end of the world, but every loss like this is a little hit on our RPI, which is not likely to be good to begin with, considering the fairly weak non-conference schedule.

maroonmania
02-20-2024, 07:56 PM
Way worse now. Parker is doing his job and we STILL can't beat bad teams.

DownwardDawg
02-20-2024, 08:20 PM
I felt a little worse Sunday than I did Thursday. Not much but a little. I liked the pitching this weekend but that's about it. I didn't see any grit and we still can't hit worth a crap. We are the same as the last 2 seasons.
After tonight, a little worse than yesterday. Not expecting any post season play but hopefully something drastic will happen. But the head coach is who he is.