PDA

View Full Version : Gonna be interesting to see what FSU's DC can cook up with a month to prepare

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2013, 12:31 AM
I think this is going to be a very intriguing match-up, and, one thing I am really looking forward to seeing, is if FSU's d-coordinator can devise a plan to contain Auburn's running game.

Like I have been saying, I believe this stuff is cyclical and good DC's will figure out tendencies and chinks in the armor of any offense if given adequate time to do so.

Many times, teams that run different offenses, not gimmicky but different, fair much better when teams only have a week to prepare for them, but not so well when teams have a month or more to prepare.

With a month to study Auburn's mis-direction, wing T, power running game, it will be very interesting to me to see if Florida State's DC can provide a blue print for other DCs to build upon in cracking Malzahn's code.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2013, 12:34 AM
I know one thing they won't do, and that's play a 3 man front like Mizzou did. FSU is a 4-3 team anyway. There defense is similar to ours with better athletes. They have NFL caliber DE's and incredible speed in the secondary. I just can't see AU winning this game, but luck is definitely on their side.

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2013, 12:38 AM
I know one thing they won't do, and that's play a 3 man front like Mizzou did. FSU is a 4-3 team anyway. There defense is similar to ours with better athletes. They have NFL caliber DE's and incredible speed in the secondary. I just can't see AU winning this game, but luck is definitely on their side.

I completely agree.

I could care less who wins the game, but I would love to see FSU's DC, figure something or just anything out about how to slow down or frustrate Auburn's offense.

There is no perfect offense, and there has to be a deficiency somewhere in Auburn's running game, that I currently can't see.

Hoping that with a month to study film, FSU's DC will.

state66
12-08-2013, 01:21 AM
Just call Geoff Collins hell tell them all they need to know

FlabLoser
12-08-2013, 01:30 AM
I don't know what we did to defend Auburn. I would guess the key is gap control. Ingore all that motion shit and just control the gap you are assigned.

Some of those plays tonight, Mizzou acted like they'd never defended the zone read before.

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2013, 01:34 AM

I would assume that every team that has played them this year, following us, has watched our game and attempted to do what we did, but that obviously hasn't worked.

We played them early, and they have gotten much better. We have gotten better as well, and should have a chance to beat them in Starkville next year. However, I have no idea what scheme we ran to stop them and why it doesn't work for anyone else.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2013, 01:46 AM
The FB, #35, really tips you off. I bet they run his way 90% of the time when he is in the offset I. And I use offset loosely, he is really lineup behind the TE. If they run a jet sweep his way, they have 2 backs leading the way, but a pulling guard. Really tough to stop.

We did a great job, but their offense wasn't clicking against us.

SPMT
12-08-2013, 02:36 AM
I would assume that every team that has played them this year, following us, has watched our game and attempted to do what we did, but that obviously hasn't worked.

We played them early, and they have gotten much better. We have gotten better as well, and should have a chance to beat them in Starkville next year. However, I have no idea what scheme we ran to stop them and why it doesn't work for anyone else.

One thing is Bama controlled them well, like we did. Their biggest mistakes were the corners, specifically #5 who gave up the couple long pass plays. Besides that they held them in check. Of course Auburn ran the ball well but that is to be expected when they run on 70% or so of their plays, just under 90% of their plays today. They are going get some ground yardage but you should still be able to beat them. It's like watching Houston where they throw on 70% of the time. They are going to get some pass yards on you no matter what. Tackling well, which Mizzou did horribly and Bama did ok and we did ok is the big key.

Fred Garvin
12-08-2013, 09:02 AM
I agree. Missouri did a horrible job wrapping up. It looks like FSU's secondary is bigger and much more physical as well as being fast. Much better match up to Auburn

CadaverDawg
12-08-2013, 09:10 AM
I think Auburn can beat them. Not saying they will...but you guys are acting like only FSU has a month to prepare. Meanwhile one of the best offensive minds college football has ever seen, will have a month to prepare some new tweaks as well. I'm sure they will still dance with the one that brung em, but Malzahn will have something cooked up.

Should be a fun chess match.

MarketingBully01
12-08-2013, 10:06 AM
Will be interesting to see if they get away with all of the holds they have gotten away with thus far which allows a lot of the misdirection to work. I bet it's a Big 12 or Big 10 crew and if that is the case Auburn's in trouble. They practically hold on every play and I thought it was laughable when Gary Danielson made such a big deal about it when Missouri got away with a hold in the red zone. My prediction is FSU 42 Auburn 14. I just think only Alabama could beat these guys from the SEC. Not the luckiest team to ever hit the football field. I will be rooting for FSU as well because I view Auburn just as bad as Ole Miss. They stole Cam from us and cheat with the ease like no other team in college football. Trust me, auburn assholes are not our friends.

NCDawg
12-08-2013, 11:44 AM

Collin's prevent defense in Auburn's last drive lost the game. Think he learned his lesson after that.

engie
12-08-2013, 12:02 PM
I think Auburn can beat them. Not saying they will...but you guys are acting like only FSU has a month to prepare. Meanwhile one of the best offensive minds college football has ever seen, will have a month to prepare some new tweaks as well. I'm sure they will still dance with the one that brung em, but Malzahn will have something cooked up.

Should be a fun chess match.

He's not in the top 10 offensive minds!**

Fact is -- Auburn is relying on 3 true freshmen badasses on the DL heavily -- that will have alot of time to get healthy and prepare. So, let's not pretend that Ellis Johnson isn't going to have alot of time to scout and prepare for a traditional pro-style offense as well... that he should be able to get pressure on with his front 4....

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Off the top of my head, I think the best way to contain Auburn's offense is to disguise some blitzes, shoot a gap, and see if you can create a negative running.

That may seem obvious, but with a 3 man front, Missouri wasn't trying to do this yesterday. You can't let Auburn get 5/6 yards a carry. You must create a 2nd and 12 and 2nd and 13. They are a running offense that relies on "staying on schedule". If you can create a negative play on 1st or 2nd down, you throw them completely out of what they want to do offensively, and could get some 3 and outs.

DownwardDawg
12-08-2013, 02:13 PM
I think the title stays in the SEC West.