PDA

View Full Version : Third base options

somebodyshotmypaw
02-18-2024, 08:42 AM
What are our options at third with Kohler hurt?

Chester obviously
Mershon or Cupp when Mershon is healthy?
Hujsak at 3rd and insert someone in centerfield?

What options do we have?

maroonmania
02-18-2024, 09:07 AM
What are our options at third with Kohler hurt?

Chester obviously
Mershon or Cupp when Mershon is healthy?
Hujsak at 3rd and insert someone in centerfield?

What options do we have?

Not sure but not having Highfill, Kohler or Mershon available really weakens our offense. I am assuming Mershon at 3rd and Cupp at SS would be our best option once Mershon is available.

Coach34
02-18-2024, 12:26 PM
Not sure but not having Highfill, Kohler or Mershon available really weakens our offense. I am assuming Mershon at 3rd and Cupp at SS would be our best option once Mershon is available.

This is probably the best option moving forward

preachermatt83
02-18-2024, 05:30 PM
I like Chester

StarkVegasSteve
02-18-2024, 05:53 PM
It will be Mershon at 3B and stay with Cupp at SS

Homedawg
02-18-2024, 06:45 PM
It will be Mershon at 3B and stay with Cupp at SS

Has to be

maroonmania
02-18-2024, 08:35 PM
No telling how long Kohler will be out. When will Mershon and Highfill be available to play in the field?

Homedawg
02-18-2024, 08:57 PM
No telling how long Kohler will be out. When will Mershon and Highfill be available to play in the field?

I don't expect highfill to play in the field. Maybe something changes, but I doubt it. Don't even know why he hasn't had surgery yet to be honest.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2024, 09:45 PM
I don't expect highfill to play in the field. Maybe something changes, but I doubt it. Don't even know why he hasn't had surgery yet to be honest.

Yeah he should've already had it done. He won't be behind the plate this year.

KOdawg1
02-18-2024, 10:39 PM
Highfill just needs to have surgery and let's roll with Powell and Long, which won't be great, but it's where we are.

Highfill doesn't hit well enough to be the primary DH

cheewgumm
02-18-2024, 11:14 PM
Why not Cupp at 3b, and Mershon at SS?

somebodyshotmypaw
02-19-2024, 09:44 AM
The obvious are the first two options I mentioned. One option is Chester. The other option is Cupp and Mershon (one at 3rd and one at shortstop).

Just curious if there are any other options.

StarkVegasSteve
02-19-2024, 09:55 AM

I would imagine at the least Kohler is out til SEC play but probably longer. Just a hunch on that. Mershon is out for another week or two. On Highfill, was told yesterday by a few people that Highfill has a partially torn UCL and will not play in the field this year. Will still DH for us but will not be playing any catcher.

sandjunky
02-19-2024, 11:16 AM
I would imagine at the least Kohler is out til SEC play but probably longer. Just a hunch on that. Mershon is out for another week or two. On Highfill, was told yesterday by a few people that Highfill has a partially torn UCL and will not play in the field this year. Will still DH for us but will not be playing any catcher.

Tick tick - it will go boom

My nephew just had labrum surgery - 8 anchors 😬

MStateDawg
02-19-2024, 02:05 PM
Why not Cupp at 3b, and Mershon at SS?

Chester's bat is better than Cupp's at this point and Chester's defense isnt so bad that you'd make that trade.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-19-2024, 02:15 PM
Chester's bat is better than Cupp's at this point and Chester's defense isnt so bad that you'd make that trade.

I don't expect us to get much hitting from the catcher's position. We need some decent hitting at 3B, and some average or better defense. So we need Chester or Cupp to hit some. I think Kohler is probably a minimum of 4 weeks before he can play the field.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-19-2024, 02:17 PM
Totally a dumb question, but would Aaron Downs be a possibility at 3rd? I believe he played 3rd base in high school. Can he play it at this level? The coaches seem to be high on his ability at the plate. However, he hasn't done anything in his first two seasons.

Ranchdawg
02-19-2024, 03:08 PM
I had minor torn labrum. I was in my 50?s but still somewhat fit.and in shape. Had a farm ranch and was continuously doing physical labor. Once the orthopedic dr was inside my shoulder he found bone spurs cartilage damage bone chips floating around. The Dr. said that it would be 4 weeks with physical therapy before I?d be able to extend my arm over my head and didn?t want me doing anything for another 4 weeks. I said to myself this Dr is full of crap I would be raising my way before 4 weeks because I was somewhat in shape. I was wrong. It was almost 4 weeks to the day before I was able to raise my arm. And was in a lot of pain.

Hot Rock
02-19-2024, 03:45 PM
I was in my 50's when I had Labrum shoulder surgery.

It was a month in a sling and I still can't do a pushup without pain. My shoulder is still weak and I have done two rounds of therapy and it's been about 1.5 years.

I may never be able to put pressure on my shoulder again and I certainly couldn't throw a ball anywhere of note. My labrum was blown out on the backside from about 6:30 to 11;00 and I was in pain. Also had a bicep tear and rotary repair. Not sure the cause, car wreck? Basketball, football or weight lifting. It could have been any of those or all of them as I am old.

I know I spent many hours just trying to raise my arm for months. labrum surgery can suck, let's hope it's not as bad and he is young. Youth heals a lot!

Saltydog
02-19-2024, 04:14 PM
Why? Cupp can't hit his weight...........Sure he's good defensively but this weekend he went hitless.........I don't remember him even squaring a ball up but I could be wrong.........At some point, he's got to hit at least a little bit.......I guess the $100,000 question is, does he glove work outweigh Chester's stick? I think that remains to be seen............

Homedawg
02-19-2024, 05:38 PM
He lined out twice so he did square a ball up. You are correct he didn't get a hit