PDA

View Full Version : He knows it

BuckyIsAB****
02-17-2024, 07:57 PM
It is over. Yes I am saying he is done after that loss

Quaoarsking
02-17-2024, 08:02 PM
I'm not saying he's 100% certain to be fired yet, but I will remind that literally our entire fanbase wanted him fired last May other than Coach34, and Selmon thought he knew better.

What an awful decision. He better hope Lebby (who got the job because Selmon is his friend, uh-oh) is good.

BeardoMSU
02-17-2024, 08:05 PM
Jesus, guys.

civildawg
02-17-2024, 08:14 PM
I won't say he's done after one loss but if we lose tomorrow, you might as well fire him after the game

KOdawg1
02-17-2024, 08:15 PM
Should've done it last year. We've kicked the can down the road about as far as we can.

I was wrong in wanting to keep him for another year.

BuckyIsAB****
02-17-2024, 08:16 PM
Jesus, guys.

It?s as simple as this. If we are who we claim to be in baseball, then there is no way in hell that this is acceptable.

Now if we are not what we claim to be then sure its just one game. Its as simple as that

It?s just one game I remind you After back to back seasons of absolute futility and record breaking losses.

BuckyIsAB****
02-17-2024, 08:19 PM
Should've done it last year. We've kicked the can down the road about as far as we can.

I was wrong in wanting to keep him for another year.

Selmon wasnt prepared. I didnt buy it then but he cant use that excuse again.

And I do not want Keenum involved in another hire of MSU athletics ever again. We wrecked our football program in 6 months. It is a credit to our fan base that the baseball program even exists after what we have witnessed there

PMDawg
02-17-2024, 08:35 PM
I mean, it's too early to judge with certainty, but we certainly have the same traits as the last 2 years.

Coach34
02-17-2024, 08:36 PM
It?s as simple as this. If we are who we claim to be in baseball, then there is no way in hell that this is acceptable.

Now if we are not what we claim to be then sure its just one game. Its as simple as that

It?s just one game I remind you After back to back seasons of absolute futility and record breaking losses.

LSU lost to Nichols State last year. Lost to New Orleans in 2022. Are they who they say they are?

Ranchdawg
02-17-2024, 08:36 PM
Come on?. two walks multiple base running errors. We lost today does that mean our season is over NO but again we didn?t look like a sharp team either. Only judging from TWO games but saw a lot of same problems we have had in the last two seasons. It is apparent to me that our overall hitting strategy is get hits where when we can but just wait till we get to opposing teams bullpen and then really try to win the game then.

BuckyIsAB****
02-17-2024, 08:37 PM
LSU lost to Nichols State last year. Lost to New Orleans in 2022. Are they who they say they are?

Yes they made hoover. They fired marineri who won nattys. Who you defend and who you are against is the most perplexing thing on this board

MaroonFlounder
02-17-2024, 08:48 PM
Base running errors on a level that will make you pull your hair out.

And Colby H. with the WALKS at the WORST possible time.

Coach34
02-17-2024, 08:50 PM
Yes they made hoover. They fired marineri who won nattys. Who you defend and who you are against is the most perplexing thing on this board

A) We havent missed Hoover this year.
B) Manieri won 1 title in 15 seasons. Not "nattys". He didnt win a title his last 13 seasons at LSU.
C) I'm not defending anything just pointing out the obvious. Good baseball teams lose to doorknobs all the time. Candy lost today. LSU beat the powerhouse of Central Arkansas 2-0 today in a nailbiter. NC State lost today. Florida- 2nd in the country lost to St Johns yesterday. I'm not sure St Johns could beat Southaven 2 outa 3.

The SEC schedule will decide his fate. Get it done or fire his ass but I'm not going to stress over losing a cold weather game to a team that is used to practicing/playing in the cold.

Brobi-wan
02-17-2024, 08:51 PM
I’m not sure how I feel. I thought giving him another year was the correct call. He’s the only coach with a natty ring in the history of the school. He also recruits at a high level. You can probably chalk up 2022 to some bad injuries. 2023 was unacceptable and this year is a question mark. We didn’t look great, but a lot of the top ten teams, including Arkansas, Florida, and LSU didn’t look good. Ole Miss didn’t look good either. Take it with a grain of salt. If he has a bad year, let’s just hope he doesn’t do just well enough to save his job.

BuckyIsAB****
02-17-2024, 08:52 PM
B) Manieri won 1 title in 15 seasons. Not "nattys". He didnt win a title his last 13 seasons at LSU.
C) I'm not defending anything just pointing out the obvious. Good baseball teams lose to doorknobs all the time. Candy lost today. LSU beat the powerhouse of Central Arkansas 2-0 today in a nailbiter. NC State lost today. Florida- 2nd in the country lost to St Johns yesterday. I'm not sure St Johns could beat Southaven 2 outa 3.

The SEC schedule will decide his fate. Get it done or fire his ass but I'm not going to stress over losing a cold weather game to a team that is used to practicing/playing in the cold.

The only reason we havent missed it yet is because it hasnt happened yet. Marineri probably never set school records for losing like Lemonis has. I fully understand good teams lose to bad teams in baseball. But good teams dont do what we have done for going on 3 years. Its not hard

HoopsDawg
02-17-2024, 08:56 PM
Hitting is going to be a problem until Mershon, Kohler and Highfill all get healthy

Coach34
02-17-2024, 09:04 PM
Hitting is going to be a problem until Mershon, Kohler and Highfill all get healthy

This

We played without 2 starters today. That matters

BeardoMSU
02-17-2024, 09:04 PM

What's the word om Kohler?

basedog
02-17-2024, 09:07 PM
Losing at home in last inning with two walks , 2 out and 2 strikes makes bad.

Need to smash the ball and score runs, that is suppose to be our strength. Pitching except for one guy was good.

99jc
02-17-2024, 09:15 PM
I don't see how anyone who has an IQ bigger than their shoe size could defend lemondick. Same ones who defended Arnett i bet!

R2Dawg
02-17-2024, 09:39 PM

FAU beat Vandy today so I guess there season is over too. Guess we can get Corbin**

R2Dawg
02-17-2024, 09:40 PM
Losing at home in last inning with two walks , 2 out and 2 strikes makes bad.

Need to smash the ball and score runs, that is suppose to be our strength. Pitching except for one guy was good.

Agree. Holcomb has just been a disappointment.

MetEdDawg
02-17-2024, 09:43 PM
Agree. Holcomb has just been a disappointment.

This is the correct answer. We did make some boneheaded base running mistakes.

But Holcombe has not been good.

I don't get why people are so upset. It's one damn game in a season of 50+ of them. We lost one 3-2 because we walked two in the 9th.

Let's give the team an actual chance before saying we should blow it up. It's ridiculous that grown people actually think like this.

msstate7
02-17-2024, 09:46 PM
FAU beat Vandy today so I guess there season is over too. Guess we can get Corbin**

Vandy and lsu have earned the benefit of patience. After the last 2 seasons, I think a melt is justified

msstate7
02-17-2024, 09:47 PM
This is the correct answer. We did make some boneheaded base running mistakes.

But Holcombe has not been good.

I don't get why people are so upset. It's one damn game in a season of 50+ of them. We lost one 3-2 because we walked two in the 9th.

Let's give the team an actual chance before saying we should blow it up. It's ridiculous that grown people actually think like this.

Probably bc we've gone 51-59 (15-45) the last 2 years

R2Dawg
02-17-2024, 09:52 PM
Vandy and lsu have earned the benefit of patience. After the last 2 seasons, I think a melt is justified

Nah the melt was the year after the NC. That was justified. We shouldn't be shocked by struggle at this point. Still no reason to bail on season after 2 games.

Do we expect more? We are MSU, dang right. 15K don't show up to watch us lose.

maroonmania
02-17-2024, 10:03 PM
It's not so much we lost as the fact we handed the game to AF when they had a whopping 4 hits all day. They score the winning runs in the 9th off one stinking seeing eye single because we gifted them with 2 baserunners with the same pitcher that also gifted them with 2 baserunners in the 8th but luckily escaped in that inning. Any pitcher that would have thrown strikes in the 9th would have won us the game.

civildawg
02-17-2024, 10:07 PM
Probably bc we've gone 51-59 (15-45) the last 2 years

Looking at that record is shocking. I don't follow baseball as closely as some but holy crap how did Lemonis not get fired last year? You think Kentucky would have let a basketball coach miss the tournament 2 years in a row?

Coach34
02-17-2024, 10:09 PM

lmao

Well, this team is a work in progress and will stumble some just like they do. Especially with 2 starters out.

Jesus

Coach34
02-17-2024, 10:12 PM
Looking at that record is shocking. I don't follow baseball as closely as some but holy crap how did Lemonis not get fired last year? You think Kentucky would have let a basketball coach miss the tournament 2 years in a row?

If you think State baseball is Kentucky basketball you are a moron.

Coastal Carolina and Mississippi State have the same number of national titles in baseball. So does Wichita State. Oh, Fresno State also.

msstate7
02-17-2024, 10:12 PM
lmao

Well, this team is a work in progress and will stumble some just like they do. Especially with 2 starters out.

Jesus

Get outta here... you understand some coaches get more rope than others. Lemonis has been given waaaayyyy more patience than he probably deserves.

R2Dawg
02-17-2024, 10:16 PM
If you think State baseball is Kentucky basketball you are a moron.

Coastal Carolina and Mississippi State have the same number of national titles in baseball. So does Wichita State. Oh, Fresno State also.

Poor comparison right there. Coastal been to what one CWS. FSU been to 36 and not won one. So by your logic Coastal is a better program than FSU - not even close. Coastal ain't close to MSU either nor the other programs.

R2Dawg
02-17-2024, 10:16 PM
Get outta here... you understand some coaches get more rope than others. Lemonis has been given waaaayyyy more patience than he probably deserves.

Agree his rope ends this year unless a regional

Coach34
02-17-2024, 10:17 PM

and aGAIN- the 55 games he coaches will decide his fate- not 2 of them

Coach34
02-17-2024, 10:19 PM
Poor comparison right there. Coastal been to what one CWS. FSU been to 36 and not won one. So by your logic Coastal is a better program than FSU - not even close. Coastal ain't close to MSU either nor the other programs.

Coastal is ranked. Coastal in the modern era is a good program. It's not poor at all. Championships matter.

FSU's history would tell me to send my kid to Coastal instead

BeardoMSU
02-17-2024, 10:24 PM
What's the word om Kohler?

Anybody?

MaroonFlounder
02-17-2024, 10:29 PM
Anybody?

Separated shoulder. Glove side.

bobtail bob
02-17-2024, 10:48 PM
He?s out of excuses and has gotten lazy. Should have been canned last season. The longer he stays the more our brand is hurt. He?s done

Todd4State
02-17-2024, 10:56 PM
lmao

Jesus

Really 2 and a half if you consider Highfill at DH. I think he's a better player than Powell or Long. We're missing Kohler which hurt us tonight at the plate as well as Mershon.

And then we're down Pico and Stone on the pitching side. I don't know what Ligdon will give us if anything.

Todd4State
02-17-2024, 10:57 PM

Yep. This. And I wouldn't be surprised if we finish the season strong when we are healthier and we know our roles.

Commercecomet24
02-17-2024, 11:18 PM
Yep. This. And I wouldn't be surprised if we finish the season strong when we are healthier and we know our roles.

I agree with this! And if he bombs there'll be plenty of time for folks to bmc. Outside of Holcombe and one bad inning out of siary the pitching has been much better especially our approach.

maroonmania
02-18-2024, 12:05 AM
Given we blew the game today, we desperately need the win tomorrow. This season in particular we needed to be strong out of the gate. Starting the season with a series loss would have everyone thinking "Here we go again". It could all go negative fairly quickly.

The Federalist Engineer
02-18-2024, 12:09 AM
Just take one game at a time folks. I bet Air Force has pitched all their best arms. We stomp them tomorrow

https://img.freepik.com/premium-photo/asian-man-drink-vodka-alone-home-night-timethailand-peoplestress-man-drunk-concept_44277-14769.jpg

Todd4State
02-18-2024, 12:41 AM
Just take one game at a time folks. I bet Air Force has pitched all their best arms. We stomp them tomorrow

https://img.freepik.com/premium-photo/asian-man-drink-vodka-alone-home-night-timethailand-peoplestress-man-drunk-concept_44277-14769.jpg

I'm expecting a strong performance from Loo. Oddly enough our worst starter might be our Friday guy. I also want to see Gavin Black tomorrow.

Todd4State
02-18-2024, 12:43 AM
Given we blew the game today, we desperately need the win tomorrow. This season in particular we needed to be strong out of the gate. Starting the season with a series loss would have everyone thinking "Here we go again". It could all go negative fairly quickly.

I'd be more worried about the team psyche than fan perception.

I think Gautreau needs to step it up some with these guys and treat them more like college players instead of pros for these first four weeks.

No reason to let the team fail before you build them back up.

Cooterpoot
02-18-2024, 03:38 AM
Let's see:

Pitching is improved
Defense is solid with two or three starters out
Hitting is behind the pitching on a freezing ass cold night with wind howling in
Baserunning is trash
Coaching decisions questionable

TNDawg35
02-18-2024, 05:59 AM
I'd be more worried about the team psyche than fan perception.

I think Gautreau needs to step it up some with these guys and treat them more like college players instead of pros for these first four weeks.

No reason to let the team fail before you build them back up.

This!! I’m more worried about the offense. We haven’t been able to hit shitry pitching since Gotro got here. A shift lefty shits us completely down. Like I have stated before, how many times have we let a bad pitcher shut us down for 7-8 innings and look clueless…

I’m also worried about if we fire Lemonis, instead of going and hiring a big name like we can, we just promote Gotro.

I want that swag Vitello teams play with. Be the assholes. Get some swag for god sakes! All we do Is beat our chest and then roll over a weak ground ball…

MetEdDawg
02-18-2024, 07:25 AM
This!! I’m more worried about the offense. We haven’t been able to hit shitry pitching since Gotro got here. A shift lefty shits us completely down. Like I have stated before, how many times have we let a bad pitcher shut us down for 7-8 innings and look clueless…

I’m also worried about if we fire Lemonis, instead of going and hiring a big name like we can, we just promote Gotro.

I want that swag Vitello teams play with. Be the assholes. Get some swag for god sakes! All we do Is beat our chest and then roll over a weak ground ball…

That swag Vitello team lost 5-1 to unranked Oklahoma last night.

99jc
02-18-2024, 08:27 AM

THIS! 100%

99jc
02-18-2024, 08:31 AM

You miss the point year 3 of the same mistakes does not invoke confidence. it's like catching your wife 17ing the neighbor after the 3rd time do you still want her!

preachermatt83
02-18-2024, 08:42 AM
My take is simple. I hate to place blame on one kid, but if anybody other than Holcomb pitches the 9th and we win. It’s early and we have to learn what we have. My guess is by sec play Holcomb won’t be pitching much, if any. Our other pitchers looked much better. Stephen was absolutely dealing. We look so much better pitching thus far this season early on outside of Holcomb. Like I said, we are learning who our players are right now. We will win today and have one series under our belt. From my perspective, this team looks the part of a NCAA tournament team. We hit decent yesterday just had no timely hits. That’s the way it falls sometimes. Our hitting will improve weekly.

R2Dawg
02-18-2024, 08:56 AM
My take is simple. I hate to place blame on one kid, but if anybody other than Holcomb pitches the 9th and we win. It?s early and we have to learn what we have. My guess is by sec play Holcomb won?t be pitching much, if any. Our other pitchers looked much better. Stephen was absolutely dealing. We look so much better pitching thus far this season early on outside of Holcomb. Like I said, we are learning who our players are right now. We will win today and have one series under our belt. From my perspective, this team looks the part of a NCAA tournament team. We hit decent yesterday just had no timely hits. That?s the way it falls sometimes. Our hitting will improve weekly.

This is where I am right now. Holcomb won't see SEC much unless injuries happen. He's a mid week guy with limited innings. The win yesterday was in the bag with good pitching, just blew the end.

smootness
02-18-2024, 09:16 AM
This has nothing to do with last night, but Lemonis does not have it and that has been clear for a while.

Holcombe is a perfect example of the irrationality of some of the optimism for this year. The dude walked more than TEN per 9 IP last year, and several thought he would suddenly be our Friday night guy. You just rarely see a jump like that in one year. He was absolutely terrible last year and did not look good again. There is no reason to assume he will be terrible based on last night, but there is reason to think he likely will not be great based on last year, and last night did not inspire more confidence.

We likely will not be a very good team...because that is what we have proven to be for two years now, and many of our guys are the same and need bigger leaps than is reasonable to assume they will make.

msudawg1200
02-18-2024, 09:57 AM
It's a long season, and we need to let it play out, but it looks like the SOS from the previous two years. I have zero faith Lemonis is going to turn it around this year. I hope I'm wrong. If he doesn't get it fixed then obviously he's got to go.

confucius say
02-18-2024, 10:04 AM
We may not win another game.
Or we may make the postseason, in which case this will be one of the all time dumbest thread starters in the history of the board.

msstate7
02-18-2024, 10:24 AM
Or we may make the postseason, in which case this will be one of the all time dumbest thread starters in the history of the board.

We certainly could make the postseason, but not sure that hope is based on anything but hope. We've missed the sec tourney (forget ncaa) the last 2 seasons, and the sec coaches predict us to miss it again.

TheLostDawg
02-18-2024, 10:38 AM

Lately I've been against almost everything you've posted but I'm with you on this. We have Lemonis this year. This isn't the time to think about the last two. It's the second game. Let's win today. If he doesn't cut it this year then he's gone. No need in worrying about it. Selmon will only have a tough decision if he makes the tournament as a two/three? seed and gets knocked out right away.

TheLostDawg
02-18-2024, 10:41 AM
I?m not sure how I feel. I thought giving him another year was the correct call. He?s the only coach with a natty ring in the history of the school. He also recruits at a high level. You can probably chalk up 2022 to some bad injuries. 2023 was unacceptable and this year is a question mark. We didn?t look great, but a lot of the top ten teams, including Arkansas, Florida, and LSU didn?t look good. Ole Miss didn?t look good either. Take it with a grain of salt. If he has a bad year, let?s just hope he doesn?t do just well enough to save his job.

I don't see the recruiting. He was suppose to be a great recruiter and we're doing just as good, worse than in the past. When can was here the recruits we did get were dirt bags and tough as nails, produced.

TheLostDawg
02-18-2024, 10:47 AM
I agree with this! And if he bombs there'll be plenty of time for folks to bmc. Outside of Holcombe and one bad inning out of siary the pitching has been much better especially our approach.

Absolutely

Todd4State
02-18-2024, 10:55 AM
This has nothing to do with last night, but Lemonis does not have it and that has been clear for a while.

Holcombe is a perfect example of the irrationality of some of the optimism for this year. The dude walked more than TEN per 9 IP last year, and several thought he would suddenly be our Friday night guy. You just rarely see a jump like that in one year. He was absolutely terrible last year and did not look good again. There is no reason to assume he will be terrible based on last night, but there is reason to think he likely will not be great based on last year, and last night did not inspire more confidence.

We likely will not be a very good team...because that is what we have proven to be for two years now, and many of our guys are the same and need bigger leaps than is reasonable to assume they will make.

Holcombe's issues last night were mechanics. I just don't think he is a relief pitcher. It's a good test for Parker IMO. Holcombe looked strong in the preseason up until his last start. We'll see if he can correct it.

Todd4State
02-18-2024, 10:57 AM
My take is simple. I hate to place blame on one kid, but if anybody other than Holcomb pitches the 9th and we win. It’s early and we have to learn what we have. My guess is by sec play Holcomb won’t be pitching much, if any. Our other pitchers looked much better. Stephen was absolutely dealing. We look so much better pitching thus far this season early on outside of Holcomb. Like I said, we are learning who our players are right now. We will win today and have one series under our belt. From my perspective, this team looks the part of a NCAA tournament team. We hit decent yesterday just had no timely hits. That’s the way it falls sometimes. Our hitting will improve weekly.

We actually hit OK I thought. But when your baserunners erase themselves it hurts your offense in multiple ways.

If Chance doesn't slip it's one less out and it's a run. Just an example.

Pancho
02-18-2024, 11:01 AM
This all goes back to the reason "big donkey", holcombe was at NEMCC playing juco ball and not somewhere else right out of HS. Parker Owen was the only catcher on that NEMCC team who could adequately block his pitches. He looked good at times but was wild beyond measure. If he continues to struggle with proper mechanics, he'll be observing.

maroonmania
02-18-2024, 11:15 AM
This all goes back to the reason "big donkey", holcombe was at NEMCC playing juco ball and not somewhere else right out of HS. Parker Owen was the only catcher on that NEMCC team who could adequately block his pitches. He looked good at times but was wild beyond measure. If he continues to struggle with proper mechanics, he'll be observing.

He is certainly not the guy I want pitching in the ninth with a one run lead. That's not the time to have a guy pitching who can't throw strikes.

WSOPdawg
02-18-2024, 11:18 AM
He is certainly not the guy I want pitching in the ninth with a one run lead. That's not the time to have a guy pitching who can't throw strikes.

I just hope it doesn't take Lemonis 3 or 4 more times to see this (and resultantly costing us 3 or 4 more wins).

Coach34
02-18-2024, 11:26 AM
I just hope it doesn't take Lemonis 3 or 4 more times to see this (and resultantly costing us 3 or 4 more wins).

This is on Parker. He's the one that wanted him out there

Todd4State
02-18-2024, 11:32 AM

But who else do we have that has experience in that situation? That is healthy? It's not like we have a clear cut closer. Auger and Holcombe are honestly our most reliable "proven" guys at this point. Sure you would like to pitch guys with a huge lead to see what happens but we didn't have that opportunity.

This to me is where Dohm in the rotation kind of hurts us. I think he would have gotten the job done last night.

My point is we're going to have to try some other guys and put them in the fire to see who can perform and who can't. Some will like Cheatham and some won't like Holcombe.

Todd4State
02-18-2024, 11:35 AM

I don't think Lemonis can afford to give guys long leashes. Last nights game was just stupid. It was a classic early season loss to me. We're down a few starters and trying to figure ourselves out and then we have some weird things happen in the game and lost by one run.

msstate7
02-18-2024, 11:36 AM
Holcombe pitching the 9th makes me question lemonis' judgement. If Holcombe is pitching the 9th bc he's our best option, I question lemonis' recruiting.

Coursesuper
02-18-2024, 11:41 AM
We actually hit OK I thought. But when your baserunners erase themselves it hurts your offense in multiple ways.

If Chance doesn't slip it's one less out and it's a run. Just an example.

Those are called free outs. Was taught that the other side has to earn outs. Out are precious don’t give them away you only have 27 to play with.

Coursesuper
02-18-2024, 11:52 AM
Holcombe pitching the 9th makes me question lemonis' judgement. If Holcombe is pitching the 9th bc he's our best option, I question lemonis' recruiting.

I don’t, after the PC talked to him about his mechanics in the 8th he got the next two easily. In the ninth it’s like he forgot all that last conversation. His elbow was all over the place, he was just chunking it up there as hard as he could. Just another big arm talent with a 5 cent head. It being the second game of the season Lemonis is trying to see how the pieces fit. It it were me Holcombe would have just shot his wad and proven that he can’t accept coaching and be done except for some time on Tuesday afternoon, now if Lemonis runs him back out there in a crucial situation then it’s on the staff.

MetEdDawg
02-18-2024, 12:33 PM

I do think Parker pulled him faster than Foxhall would have last year.

Holcombe would probably have stayed in at least one more batter. Parker at least made the change after two batters.

smootness
02-18-2024, 12:37 PM
Holcombe's issues last night were mechanics. I just don't think he is a relief pitcher. It's a good test for Parker IMO. Holcombe looked strong in the preseason up until his last start. We'll see if he can correct it.

Is this supposed to be a defense of him? Mechanical issues are a problem and have been for him since last year.

Todd4State
02-18-2024, 01:10 PM
Is this supposed to be a defense of him? Mechanical issues are a problem and have been for him since last year.

Not a defense. It's an observation. The coaches have to fix it and Holcombe has to execute it.

msudawg1200
02-18-2024, 01:35 PM

No, it's on Lemonis. He's the head coach. He's paid to make the tough decisions.

basedog
02-18-2024, 02:08 PM
Not a defense. It's an observation. The coaches have to fix it and Holcombe has to execute it.

Let him pitch when things don’t matter. He has struggled and maybe he can get better midweek pitching when the game is out of hand. No way I’d run him back out there in the situation like last night.

This team lacks confidence, gotta get a winning streak going to gain some swag, two straight years we had has caused problems. Not sure we are as talented as some thing on ED.

WSOPdawg
02-18-2024, 02:15 PM
Let him pitch when things don’t matter. He has struggled and maybe he can get better midweek pitching when the game is out of hand. No way I’d run him back out there in the situation like last night.

This team lacks confidence, gotta get a winning streak going to gain some swag, two straight years we had has caused problems. Not sure we are as talented as some think on ED.

^^^^ This. I love my Bulldogs, but outside of Dakota and Hunter, how many starting position players do we have that would start for other SEC teams (UT, LSU, UF, Arky) - maybe a couple but not many more.

Coursesuper
02-18-2024, 02:17 PM

This team lacks confidence, gotta get a winning streak going to gain some swag, two straight years we had has caused problems. Not sure we are as talented as some thing on ED.

I can buy this.

99jc
02-18-2024, 02:26 PM

the head coach is ultimately responsible for wins and losses...not the pitching coach. another reason to send lemondick to the showers.

maroonmania
02-18-2024, 03:18 PM
But who else do we have that has experience in that situation? That is healthy? It's not like we have a clear cut closer. Auger and Holcombe are honestly our most reliable "proven" guys at this point. Sure you would like to pitch guys with a huge lead to see what happens but we didn't have that opportunity.

This to me is where Dohm in the rotation kind of hurts us. I think he would have gotten the job done last night.

My point is we're going to have to try some other guys and put them in the fire to see who can perform and who can't. Some will like Cheatham and some won't like Holcombe.

We know Holcombe is wild as he had already shown in the 8th as well as most of last year. If Auger had started the 9th we would have been much more likely to have held the lead. I can live with losing much more if our pitcher gets hit than just walking the park.

Coach34
02-18-2024, 03:49 PM
No, it's on Lemonis. He's the head coach. He's paid to make the tough decisions.

Ultimately yes.

But Parker made the decision to stay with Holcombe. Parker is the guy who spends all the practice time with them. Not Lemon. I guarantee you Parker wasn’t in the dugout going “get him out of there” and Lemon insisted we roll him out another inning

Coursesuper
02-18-2024, 04:08 PM
Ultimately yes.

But Parker made the decision to stay with Holcombe. Parker is the guy who spends all the practice time with them. Not Lemon. I guarantee you Parker wasn’t in the dugout going “get him out of there” and Lemon insisted we roll him out another inning

I don’t think that many folks understand that it’s a “coaching staff” and how that actually works. Not many of the decisions are made in a silo.

smootness
02-18-2024, 04:25 PM
That has been used as an excuse for Lemonis for too long. He is either responsible for the decisions the staff makes, or he is not and should be fired for being meaningless.

msudawg1200
02-18-2024, 04:39 PM
Ultimately yes.

Still on Lemonis. He makes the final decision. That's why you'd better have pretty good assistants.

msudawg1200
02-18-2024, 04:43 PM
I don?t think that many folks understand that it?s a ?coaching staff? and how that actually works. Not many of the decisions are made in a silo.

Yeah, I think most do. It all falls back on the head guy though, and HE is the one held ultimately responsible, so he'd better have some good assistants. However, HE has to sometimes have the balls to tell an assistant I'm running the show and this is or isn't happening because my ass is on the line. Yeah, we know how coaching decisions work there big guy. Damn, some of y'all on here.

Coach34
02-18-2024, 04:56 PM
Still on Lemonis. He makes the final decision. That's why you'd better have pretty good assistants.

aGAIN- ultimately yes

And his fate on those decisions will be decided this Spring

Coursesuper
02-18-2024, 05:06 PM
Yeah, I think most do. It all falls back on the head guy though, and HE is the one held ultimately responsible, so he'd better have some good assistants. However, HE has to sometimes have the balls to tell an assistant I'm running the show and this is or isn't happening because my ass is on the line. Yeah, we know how coaching decisions work there big guy. Damn, some of y'all on here.

This is how you say I don’t really understand but by god I’m going to stand by point of ignorance until the bitter end. In week one, game two and the pitching coach says let’s see if this guy can get out of it I’m also going to say ok. We found out something about the guy, and now we know better. This is why these games are played.

Todd4State
02-18-2024, 05:17 PM
This is how you say I don’t really understand but by god I’m going to stand by point of ignorance until the bitter end. In week one, game two and the pitching coach says let’s see if this guy can get out of it I’m also going to say ok. We found out something about the guy, and now we know better. This is why these games are played.

Exactly. Big difference with this decision being made in game two versus say game 40.

preachermatt83
02-18-2024, 05:20 PM

He was still very inconsistent throwing strikes this preseason

Coursesuper
02-18-2024, 05:50 PM
He was still very inconsistent throwing strikes this preseason

You nailed it by saying throwing, that’s all he’s doing, no pitching to be seen.

msudawg1200
02-18-2024, 05:52 PM

Yes, that's exactly it. I don't know that a pitching coach works with the pitchers and HELPS make pitching decisions. It's still about wins and losses and when your ass in on the line like Lemonis it's not time to "see" if this guy could do this or that in a certain situation. You'd better get the damn win. I'm glad you're not a coach because you wouldn't be worth a shit at it. Damn, that diatribe you just spewed was dumb as hell.

msudawg1200
02-18-2024, 05:53 PM
Exactly. Big difference with this decision being made in game two versus say game 40.
Game two counts the same as game 40. You'd better win the ones you can.

Coursesuper
02-18-2024, 06:01 PM
Yes, that's exactly it. I don't know that a pitching coach works with the pitchers and HELPS make pitching decisions. It's still about wins and losses and when your ass in on the line like Lemonis it's not time to "see" if this guy could do this or that in a certain situation. You'd better get the damn win. I'm glad you're not a coach because you wouldn't be worth a shit at it. Damn, that diatribe you just spewed was dumb as hell.

You know exactly dick about anything you’re talking about per usual on this board. To some on here who have played and coached the game at any level passed coach pitch every word you type is more and more proof of baseball ignorance. But hey it’s a free country you continuing to prove your ignorance is your prerogative.

BuckyIsAB****
02-18-2024, 06:33 PM

I was not saying fire him now. I was saying it is only a matter of time

msudawg1200
02-18-2024, 06:37 PM
You know exactly dick about anything you’re talking about per usual on this board. To some on here who have played and coached the game at any level passed coach pitch every word you type is more and more proof of baseball ignorance. But hey it’s a free country you continuing to prove your ignorance is your prerogative.

Jokes on you. I played through JUCO and was a high school coach for 12 years where I coached on 4 district champion teams, and 6 that made the playoffs mostly when only two teams went. Also, finished first or second 8 of 12 years when the regions were 7 teams plus. You don't leave a player in to lose a game to see if he can do it. I know practice isn't the same, but you'd better have that figured out by then. I understand all about pitching rotations and pitching setup. Yeah, you let players have a chance to either prove themselves or not in certain situations, but you'd if it's a one run game, and you have another option that's not the time to "see" if this guy can do it. You'd better get him out and get a win as long as you have a better option. If not you, of course, roll with what you have, and it is what it is. No, you come on here talking down and insulting others because they don't have the same opinion that you and your hero does, so you resort to degrading people and name calling claiming they don't know squat and you do. That is what insecure people do. There are different opinions on how to handle situations. C34 said it was Parker's decision and his fault not Lemonis. All I stated was it was Lemonis' fault because he ultimately makes the final decision and it's on him. You then come in to defend your hero by pretty much saying that we are all dumbarses on here except you and your said hero. I really don't know why I'm wasting time typing this bs responding to you. Have a great day.

Bothrops
02-18-2024, 06:40 PM
I'm starting to believe we've got fans who are invested in sports over simply wanting to fire coaches.

Coursesuper
02-18-2024, 07:06 PM
Jokes on you. I played through JUCO and was a high school coach for 12 years where I coached on 4 district champion teams, and 6 that made the playoffs mostly when only two teams went. Also, finished first or second 8 of 12 years when the regions were 7 teams plus. You don't leave a player in to lose a game to see if he can do it. I know practice isn't the same, but you'd better have that figured out by then. I understand all about pitching rotations and pitching setup. Yeah, you let players have a chance to either prove themselves or not in certain situations, but you'd if it's a one run game, and you have another option that's not the time to "see" if this guy can do it. You'd better get him out and get a win as long as you have a better option. If not you, of course, roll with what you have, and it is what it is. No, you come on here talking down and insulting others because they don't have the same opinion that you and your hero does, so you resort to degrading people and name calling claiming they don't know squat and you do. That is what insecure people do. There are different opinions on how to handle situations. C34 said it was Parker's decision and his fault not Lemonis. All I stated was it was Lemonis' fault because he ultimately makes the final decision and it's on him. You then come in to defend your hero by pretty much saying that we are all dumbarses on here except you and your said hero. I really don't know why I'm wasting time typing this bs responding to you. Have a great day.

Whatever, I’m glad my kid never played for you.

msudawg1200
02-18-2024, 07:07 PM
Whatever, I?m glad my kid never played for you.

Typical response by you. I'm done.

Todd4State
02-18-2024, 08:10 PM

But again who do you put in that you trust? We're still finding those things out. That's just the reality of the situation. Auger technically did his job and got squeezed. Hindsight says you start with him or Schuelke. Or maybe we go with Gavin Black but at that point he had never pitched in a game. Later in the year it might be Dohm. Or Simmons. It sucks but we're a work in progress at this point.

basedog
02-18-2024, 08:28 PM
But again who do you put in that you trust? We're still finding those things out. That's just the reality of the situation. Auger technically did his job and got squeezed. Hindsight says you start with him or Schuelke. Or maybe we go with Gavin Black but at that point he had never pitched in a game. Later in the year it might be Dohm. Or Simmons. It sucks but we're a work in progress at this point.

I can't disagree but we know what Holcomb's weakness is, throwing strikes. I will say our pitching Coach is learning what roles his staff will be moving forward. I think we upgraded our pitching Coach. Holcomb looked anxious with lack of confidence with the walk to start the 9th. It's easy to second guess and say he should have been pulled after the walk. I'm betting our PC learned a lot from that game. LOL

Commercecomet24
02-18-2024, 08:28 PM

This, 100%. And most coaches do this early on when you're trying to figure out the pieces. Game situations a whole lot different than practice or scrimmage. Better to find out early than in conference play. Now if we keep running out the same people this year who fail early in critical situations that's a different story.

BuckyIsAB****
02-18-2024, 08:33 PM
I'm starting to believe we've got fans who are invested in sports over simply wanting to fire coaches.

I invest in State sports to win. Lemonis hasnt done that in a long time. With better toys than 98 percent of college baseball to play with

Coach34
02-18-2024, 08:43 PM
I invest in State sports to win. Lemonis hasnt done that in a long time. With better toys than 98 percent of college baseball to play with

We dont have anything the Top 50 baseball programs dont have- if not more. It's not 1988 anymore.

We just have a better stadium

Homedawg
02-18-2024, 08:46 PM
We dont have anything the Top 50 baseball programs dont have- if not more. It's not 1988 anymore.

Yep

Commercecomet24
02-18-2024, 08:50 PM

100% accurate. The arms race has been on for awhile now especially in the sec. Competition in college baseball is at a higher level than it's ever been.

Heck even wake forest has one of the finest pitching labs in the country. To many of our fans don't understand what's going in college baseball around the country.

Coach34
02-18-2024, 08:59 PM
100% accurate. The arms race has been on for awhile now especially in the sec. Competition in college baseball is at a higher level than it's ever been.

Heck even wake forest has one of the finest pitching labs in the country. To many of our fans don't understand what's going in college baseball around the country.

So many fans just dont understand baseball. It's frustrating.

Fresno State, Coastal Carolina, Oregon State- have titles and recently. Coastal is ranked again and good. This aint football or basketball. It's a different sport.

Todd4State
02-18-2024, 09:08 PM

I'm not sure how sustainable Wake Forest is over the long term. It's only a matter of time before Muscara gets a HC job and then they'll have to find someone equally as good to replace him. And when he leaves he'll probably take most of their pitching analytics people with him.

Todd4State
02-18-2024, 09:11 PM

Fresno State, Coastal Carolina, Oregon State- have titles and recently. Coastal is ranked again and good. This aint football or basketball. It's a different sport.

Really it's just the SEC now. So you're really talking about maybe 20 programs that have a realistic shot at a NC.

Look at the CWS finalists since 2010 and compare to any other decade and you'll see what I'm talking about. Elite players want to play in the SEC and the California kids are coming to the SEC because they want to play in front of people.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2024, 09:36 PM
Delete

Commercecomet24
02-18-2024, 09:38 PM
I'm not sure how sustainable Wake Forest is over the long term. It's only a matter of time before Muscara gets a HC job and then they'll have to find someone equally as good to replace him. And when he leaves he'll probably take most of their pitching analytics people with him.

Oh I agree I was just making the point that there's a whole lot of programs out there with the same stuff we have, but we do have the BEST stadium!

Commercecomet24
02-18-2024, 09:43 PM

You got that right! We have so many on here that treat baseball like football or basketball and it ain't! Baseball is a chess match and the most talented teams don't always win. It's not a sprint it's a marathon.

maroonmania
02-18-2024, 09:45 PM

And we all know that NIL has significantly lessened the importance of facilities when recruiting players.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2024, 09:46 PM
And we all know that NIL has significantly lessened the importance of facilities when recruiting players.

Yep. Nothings the same as was 5 years ago with nil now.

basedog
02-18-2024, 09:46 PM
Oh I agree I was just making the point that there's a whole lot of programs out there with the same stuff we have, but we do have the BEST stadium!

Best fans who support baseball at MSU. Been this was for decades, never underestimate what we have, top 3 in the country with LSU and Arkansas you can add Ole Dixie also. Ain’t no one close to the ones I mentioned.

I also think Msufans are pretty knowledgeable about baseball. Makes me sick to have finished last and next to last. Shouldn’t have happened after winning a Natty if anything we should have benefited, we did not. Ain’t the fans fault either.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2024, 09:49 PM
Best fans who support baseball at MSU. Been this was for decades, never underestimate what we have, top 3 in the country with LSU and Arkansas you can add Ole Dixie also. Ain?t no one close to the ones I mentioned.

I also think Msufans are pretty knowledgeable about baseball. Makes me sick to have finished last and next to last. Shouldn?t have happened after winning a Natty if anything we should have benefited, we did not. Ain?t the fans fault either.

The stadium, our fans and the atmosphere, there's nothing else like it in college baseball.

NIL and the portal has changed thing for the worse, unfortunately

Coach34
02-18-2024, 09:53 PM

THIS all day. NIL is changing baseball also. They may not have the 5K fans watching them play- but if a school will pay? They will go there.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2024, 09:56 PM
THIS all day. NIL is changing baseball also. They may not have the 5K fans watching them play- but if a school will pay? They will go there.

Stadium, facilities, everything is all secondary to how much they can get paid. 95% could care less how many people are in the stands.

Coach34
02-18-2024, 10:05 PM
Stadium, facilities, everything is all secondary to how much they can get paid. 95% could care less how many people are in the stands.

yep- and our fans at State need to understand that. That big stadium doesnt matter to 2/3 of recruits now

basedog
02-18-2024, 10:12 PM
We have NIL money, we aren’t poor like some think. I have a good friend in the know and he has assured me about where we stand on NIL.

Baseball players are way different compared to football and basketball players. No reason we aren’t consistory in regionals and hosting.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2024, 10:34 PM
We have NIL money, we aren’t poor like some think. I have a good friend in the know and he has assured me about where we stand on NIL.

Baseball players are way different compared to football and basketball players. No reason we aren’t consistory in regionals and hosting.

I agree we're not poor and I know about where we are at as well. While baseball players are different 95% are still going where the money is, it's why they're so many transfers, the money. Lsu bought a nc last year by buying skenes and Tommy white among others, nil is a huge deal more so than anything. Go hang out at some of the big summer tournaments and that's just about all these kids are talking about is how much nil they're getting offered. Things have changed big time even in baseball. I 100% agree that we should be in regionals pretty much every year and hosting at least every couple. We have work to do on the field and let's hope this season is better than the last 2! You're a good Dawg Base and I always appreciate your opinion!

Coach34
02-18-2024, 10:56 PM
I agree we're not poor and I know about where we are at as well. While baseball players are different 95% are still going where the money is, it's why they're so many transfers, the money. Lsu bought a nc last year by buying skenes and Tommy white among others, nil is a huge deal more so than anything. Go hang out at some of the big summer tournaments and that's just about all these kids are talking about is how much nil they're getting offered. Things have changed big time even in baseball. I 100% agree that we should be in regionals pretty much every year and hosting at least every couple. We have work to do on the field and let's hope this season is better than the last 2! You're a good Dawg Base and I always appreciate your opinion!

exactly. Fans need to understand-

Money has replaced tradition. Tradition is gone.

basedog
02-18-2024, 10:57 PM

There is a reason we finished at the bottom last couple years. It wasn’t because of NIL. There are only a handful of schools who are gonna pay big NIL money for baseball players. Football pays the bills no doubt and more schools are gonna spend way more on football with NIL.
Lemonis fell asleep at wheel, I’m pulling for him, I hope we compete and do well. But I’m in a wait and see mode, as things have been bad on the field as well as off.

Thanks Cc24, I respect your opinion as well.

basedog
02-18-2024, 11:00 PM
exactly. Fans need to understand-

Money has replaced tradition. Tradition is gone.

Most schools or programs could care less about baseball. We do, you seem to be making excuses for our situation. Coaching has a lot to do with winning.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2024, 11:02 PM
There is a reason we finished at the bottom last couple years. It wasn’t because of NIL. There are only a handful of schools who are gonna pay big NIL money for baseball players. Football pays the bills no doubt and more schools are gonna spend way more on football with NIL.
Lemonis fell asleep at wheel, I’m pulling for him, I hope we compete and do well. But I’m in a wait and see mode, as things have been bad on the field as well as off.

Thanks Cc24, I respect your opinion as well.

No doubt the last two years have sucked for sure and it ultimately falls on the head coaches shoulders. I'm in wait and see too and hope lemonis gets it corrected if he doesn't I'll be the first to say we need a change because he's had ample chances to fix it. Time to crap or get off the pot.

Coach34
02-18-2024, 11:02 PM
Most schools or programs could care less about baseball.

Today they do. There are at least 75 teams that care. Probably closer to 150

basedog
02-18-2024, 11:12 PM

Tell me how many put 33,000 for a 3 game series. Most want pay 6 figures for college baseball player.

basedog
02-18-2024, 11:15 PM

We are in the top level of baseball programs or at least we should be. I disagree with your logic, it’s college baseball 34.

BrunswickDawg
02-18-2024, 11:18 PM
Tell me how many put 33,000 for a 3 game series. Most want pay 6 figures for college baseball player.

That's different from an administration caring and being willing to give resources to make a team competitive. More admins see it for growth potential. Besides NIL, MLB cutting the number of minor league teams has opened up higher quality players to fill out rosters. It's having a trickle down effect. Schools that have had potential but hadn't sustained winning - like UGA - are going all in.

Coach34
02-18-2024, 11:20 PM
We are in the top level of baseball programs or at least we should be. I disagree with your logic, it’s college baseball 34.

We are a Top 25 program sure. Nobody denies that. But we are in a sport that Coastal Carolina and Fresno State can win it all. Baseball is a Top 200 sport whereas football and basketball arent. Thats what so many dont get

basedog
02-18-2024, 11:21 PM
That's different from an administration caring and being willing to give resources to make a team competitive. More admins see it for growth potential. Besides NIL, MLB cutting the number of minor league teams has opened up higher quality players to fill out rosters. It's having a trickle down effect. Schools that have had potential but hadn't sustained winning - like UGA - are going all in.

And that should help us, not hurt us.

Commercecomet24
02-18-2024, 11:23 PM

The minor league cuts have had a huge effect on college and juco baseball. A lot of players that would've been drafted are now in juco or college. I said it in an earlier post college baseball is more competitive than it's ever been. Heck it's nothing to go to a juco game and see kids throwing mid 90s that didn't happen until Covid and the minor league consolidation

basedog
02-18-2024, 11:24 PM
We are a Top 25 program sure. Nobody denies that. But we are in a sport that Coastal Carolina and Fresno State can win it all. Baseball is a Top 200 sport whereas football and basketball arent. Thats what so many dont get

Probably because those two schools you mentioned has better coaching. Coaches can attract players also. They also can motivate there players and be good in fundamentals. We pay good money for baseball coaches.

Coach34
02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Probably because those two schools you mentioned has better coaching. Coaches can attract players also. They also can motivate there players and be good in fundamentals. We pay good money for baseball coaches.

Coaching only goes so far- especially the higher you go. Billy Martin couldn’t have gotten our team least year to a Super Regional. Talent and experience matter bigtime. Baseball is just different. Coastal and Fresno show this sport ain’t like the other 2. We set attendance records for years under Polk and he couldn’t win a title. So tell me- how important is attendance?

basedog
02-18-2024, 11:43 PM
No excuses to be last and next to last in Sec for MSU. Polk had at least 3 teams that should have won a Natty. We won one, we can do it again, don’t tell me we can’t. Gotta coach dem up 34. Usm has a better program than us lately and they don’t have much NIL money.

Too many excuses. I’m out. Take care, we agree to disagree. LOL

confucius say
02-19-2024, 08:50 AM
I was not saying fire him now. I was saying it is only a matter of time

I know. You said he it's over and he will be fired this year.
Maybe you will be right.
Maybe it will look like a horrible overreaction to one inning in mid February.

BrunswickDawg
02-19-2024, 08:57 AM
And that should help us, not hurt us.

It has and will hurt us. UGA caring about baseball means 1 more major school with more resources to recruit against. UGA had some of the worst facilities in the SEC and could give a shit the past 40 years and still has as many Nattys as MSU. Them actually caring changes the trajectory of all that Metro Atl talent overnight, not to mention the damn good players in places like Albany, Warner Robins and Columbus who end up on a lot of SEC rosters (including ours). They will have NIL to burn, and will start landing guys like Landon Sims who they would have never been in the race for before.

I'm not the type to panic about sleeping giants being awakened (like some who fear A&M football), but I got to go to a UGA donor event last year to preview their facilities plan and talk with Coach Strickland. I told my UGA friends after that if they are going all in, the sign will be firing Strick and getting a big name. Lo and behold they dump him and get Wes. He's the type that could build a machine in Athens.

Duckdog
02-19-2024, 09:07 AM
the autism is strong strong in here

basedog
02-19-2024, 09:15 AM
We will be ok as long as we have the correct Coach. I don't expect us to win a Natty every year, I understand competition, but BY Far the Sec is the best in college baseball league in the country. No reason we want or can't compete.

you guys saying tradition doesn't matter, but every time we host schools across the country to a weekend series or regional games, there fans and players rave about our fans, stadium and atmosphere, go read what AF just said about their experience in StarkVegas.

There are many baseball players in America from "Small Town" America, we can compete no doubt! I hope we get back to Msu baseball with our tradition, our last two years were as bad as I have seen since the great Paul Gregory retired, the following year was miserable. Been going and watching baseball since 1970, I ain't giving up with BS we ain't what we use to. I just want to win and get it going what we have been over the decades, fill the stadium up and host regionals and go to CWS "some". It's just that simple. LOL.

HoopsDawg
02-19-2024, 11:31 AM
We will be ok as long as we have the correct Coach. I don't expect us to win a Natty every year, I understand competition, but BY Far the Sec is the best in college baseball league in the country. No reason we want or can't compete.

you guys saying tradition doesn't matter, but every time we host schools across the country to a weekend series or regional games, there fans and players rave about our fans, stadium and atmosphere, go read what AF just said about their experience in StarkVegas.

There are many baseball players in America from "Small Town" America, we can compete no doubt! I hope we get back to Msu baseball with our tradition, our last two years were as bad as I have seen since the great Paul Gregory retired, the following year was miserable. Been going and watching baseball since 1970, I ain't giving up with BS we ain't what we use to. I just want to win and get it going what we have been over the decades, fill the stadium up and host regionals and go to CWS "some". It's just that simple. LOL.

I'm just going to chime in and say that you are spot on with everything you've said in this thread

Extendedcab
02-19-2024, 11:57 AM

LOL, I can't stop laughing!!

preachermatt83
02-19-2024, 07:39 PM
I still say Lemo is a good coach. Something has just been off. But I really believe we will be a tournament team this year. By next we will be back in regional hosting discussion. Maybe I’m overly optimistic. But the dude won so many freaking games his first season. Was looking pretty dang good in his second before the Covid crap. Then won a natty. I just think we had one awful year and we didnt rebound from it fast. I still say Lenoncan coach. I can absolutely be proven wrong tho.

BeardoMSU
02-19-2024, 08:19 PM

It's a spectrum**

Duckdog
02-20-2024, 10:16 AM
It's a spectrum**

LORD, HEAR MY PRAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BuckyIsAB****
02-20-2024, 06:03 PM
Guys Austin peay is going to be a 2 seed somewhere. Just because northern Kentucky and VMI werent either doesnt matter. School record conference losing streaks and home losses are okay as long as we won 4 years ago. We shouldnt expect any better our baseball program was never any good

BuckyIsAB****
02-20-2024, 07:38 PM
Again, its just a matter of time

trob115
02-20-2024, 07:42 PM
Time for the bucket to go somewhere else. Past time!!

StarkVegasSteve
02-20-2024, 07:45 PM
Time for the bucket to go somewhere else. Past time!!

It was time in 2022, 2023, and it will be in 2024. Just a matter if someone in the athletic dept has the balls to pull the trigger.

msstate7
02-20-2024, 07:47 PM
It was time in 2022, 2023, and it will be in 2024. Just a matter if someone in the athletic dept has the balls to pull the trigger.

I wouldn't have fired him in 2022, but I would have last year.

KOdawg1
02-20-2024, 07:51 PM
Can't wait to hear the excuses on this one

Quaoarsking
02-20-2024, 07:52 PM

Basically the entire fanbase other than Coach34 and the bus driver wanted him gone after last year.

Even if Lemonis turns it around and makes a Regional here, he's not doing anything special. We have enough advantages that any halfway decent coach should be successful here. It's not like football, where we have to find a unicorn and beg him to stay.

Coach34
02-20-2024, 08:06 PM
The guys that write the checks didnt want him gone or he would have been

StarkVegasSteve
02-20-2024, 08:26 PM

You could tell he did not have it in 2022 but most wanted to give him a reprieve due to injuries

Todd4State
02-21-2024, 02:23 AM
You could tell he did not have it in 2022 but most wanted to give him a reprieve due to injuries

I was calling for Foxhall to be fired even then. I knew it was a HUGE mistake to bring him back. It's a bit crazy to me because if it's not one thing it's the other. We appear to have fixed pitching and defense and now the hitting and baserunning goes to shit? I mean- LOL.

Let's be honest- the guy won our first NC in 2021. We weren't firing him after 2022 season. We would have looked Texas A&M football stupid.

Todd4State
02-21-2024, 02:32 AM
Basically the entire fanbase other than Coach34 and the bus driver wanted him gone after last year.

Even if Lemonis turns it around and makes a Regional here, he's not doing anything special. We have enough advantages that any halfway decent coach should be successful here. It's not like football, where we have to find a unicorn and beg him to stay.

Everett will just kiss the next guy's ass. I have never understood how our why our university allows him to run his mouth. But then again I haven't really seen him say too much since the "spoiled" comment. So maybe MSU did say something. An MSU "representative" and I use that term very loosely threatening to fight our fans is a pretty bad look. Not to mention Everett has to be in his 70's-80's now. There is a chance that someone is crazy enough to take him up on his offer and hurt him pretty bad. It's not like he's exactly hard to find.

The thing about just making a regional is it gets into such a gray area. If we go 12-18 in SEC play and just make a regional that probably isn't good enough for him to warrant staying. If we go 20-10 in SEC play and just make a regional I'm guessing we would keep him. I think there are some other possibilities here too- he appears to be really stressed out. It wouldn't completely shock me if he just resigned or took another job even if it's at a smaller school in South Carolina.

The guys that write the checks didnt want him gone or he would have been

Speaking of guys that write checks I just so happened to notice that Tony Vitello's buyout decrease by 500K after June 30. Just saying. Maybe the guys that write the checks know what they're doing after all when they kept Lemonis?

preachermatt83
02-21-2024, 08:25 AM
Everett will just kiss the next guy's ass. I have never understood how our why our university allows him to run his mouth. But then again I haven't really seen him say too much since the "spoiled" comment. So maybe MSU did say something. An MSU "representative" and I use that term very loosely threatening to fight our fans is a pretty bad look. Not to mention Everett has to be in his 70's-80's now. There is a chance that someone is crazy enough to take him up on his offer and hurt him pretty bad. It's not like he's exactly hard to find.

The thing about just making a regional is it gets into such a gray area. If we go 12-18 in SEC play and just make a regional that probably isn't good enough for him to warrant staying. If we go 20-10 in SEC play and just make a regional I'm guessing we would keep him. I think there are some other possibilities here too- he appears to be really stressed out. It wouldn't completely shock me if he just resigned or took another job even if it's at a smaller school in South Carolina.

Speaking of guys that write checks I just so happened to notice that Tony Vitello's buyout decrease by 500K after June 30. Just saying. Maybe the guys that write the checks know what they're doing after all when they kept Lemonis?

Yea he turned LSU down but will come here. Cmon Todd.

Quaoarsking
02-21-2024, 09:00 AM

Let's all cut the inferiority complex and act like a top 10 program. I don't know if Vitello would be interested or not, but we shouldn't dismiss the idea before we even tall to him.

Duckdog
02-21-2024, 09:24 AM
Vitello is a scumbag, no

Coach34
02-21-2024, 09:49 AM
We're not going to steal a sitting SEC head coach to bring his family to Mississippi unless it's Mizzou's

Quaoarsking
02-21-2024, 10:01 AM
We're not going to steal a sitting SEC head coach to bring his family to Mississippi unless it's Mizzou's

Is this how you approach real life, with a pessimistic, inferior attitude? I'll never understand that mindset.

At work I hire a lot of people, and while I prefer to hire Mississippians when I can, the state doesn't produce enough qualified and talented people for what I need, so I have to hire some out of staters. And I never let "man, nobody wants to move to Mississippi" stop me from pursuing the best candidates out there.

On a more universal level, my wife was probably out of my league when we first started dating, but I didn't let that stop me from trying. I guess a lot of posters would have let that stop them.

Todd4State
02-21-2024, 01:41 PM

He's hit his ceiling at Tennessee and he is just coming off of a one game suspension there. He may not be very happy there.

Coach34
02-21-2024, 03:02 PM
Is this how you approach real life, with a pessimistic, inferior attitude? I'll never understand that mindset.

At work I hire a lot of people, and while I prefer to hire Mississippians when I can, the state doesn't produce enough qualified and talented people for what I need, so I have to hire some out of staters. And I never let "man, nobody wants to move to Mississippi" stop me from pursuing the best candidates out there.

On a more universal level, my wife was probably out of my league when we first started dating, but I didn't let that stop me from trying. I guess a lot of posters would have let that stop them.

No- I just know the business pretty well.

Most coaches dont really want to live in small town Mississippi- no matter how good the job is. We are certainly a Top 20 job- but look at our hires at State:

Polk from Georgia Southern
Promote from within with Mac
Back to retread Polk
Stole Kentucky's coach who was a former player
Hired a Top hitting coach but wasnt a HC guy
Then got turned down by top coaches and hired the HC of Indiana

We simply arent going to pull a sitting SEC HC- just like I told you guys we werent going to pull some other HC from a P5 in football. It's not going to happen. History will tell you what's going to happen most times.

Big name hires we made?

Jackie- he needed us
Howland- needed us
Leach- needed us (wanted to prove himself in the SEC)

All needed us- who needs us in baseball???

BB30
02-21-2024, 04:29 PM
Again, our baseball program will still be decent yearly but if we want to compete at a championship level regularly we are going to have to come out of pocket on NIL as well. It's touching baseball just as much as it is football in different ways. LSU bought their NC last year. Florida State bought several transfers this year. Georgia is starting to buy guys and will be really solid in the near future. Alabama is about to be really solid in the near future if not this year.

We have an easier path in baseball than any other sport on campus but we are going to have to pay for top end talent especially top end arm talent transferring from mid majors. You either have to pay a projected 2nd-5th round high school kid a couple hundred k or go and buy some sophomore/Junior arms that are at mid majors and were either overlooked or late bloomers that blow up.

I don't care how nice our stadium is, there isn't a ton of difference to players in Alex Box, Swayze, Dudy Noble, Baum-Walker etc. If they are SEC talent the atmosphere we provide won't overcome getting paid a few hundred thousand for a couple of years. Most of the guys we need to add are premium arms and they call for a premium price whether its the draft or going to college. Sure we can hit on a few project guys that are really projectable but don't know how to pitch yet and they may pay off for us in year 2 or 3 but we've got to get arms that can help us now and are bumping up on being elite college level talent. If you don't want to go that route you have to go get guys that have average to a tick above average college stuff that throw strikes and mash the baseball offensively.

I haven't posted much in a while because there is simply one answer we need more $$. I hate this is where college sports are going but all of those schools above bring in so much more than we do its not even funny.