PDA

View Full Version : Are you interested in watching the National Championship Game?

Quaoarsking
12-07-2013, 11:57 PM
I'm not. BCS ruins the season yet again. A playoff would have had some interesting games at least.

smootness
12-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Um...heck yes. Please tell me how a playoff would be better than this.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Yes, Go Auburn

PendingTransaction
12-07-2013, 11:58 PM
I can't wait!!!

Coach34
12-08-2013, 12:00 AM
**** yeah I am- gonna root like hell for Fla State- but Auburn deserves to be there

DownwardDawg
12-08-2013, 12:00 AM
Hail yes I'm interested. Go Noles!!! **** auburn.
And a playoff will always be better. Bama vs FSU and Aubie vs ?????

Quaoarsking
12-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Um...heck yes. Please tell me how a playoff would be better than this.

Because we'd get 3 games between the nation's best teams instead of 1?

FSU vs. Alabama.
Baylor vs. Auburn.
Winners.

Apoplectic
12-08-2013, 12:03 AM
I'm not. BCS ruins the season yet again. A playoff would have had some interesting games at least.

Well hell yea! Do you plan on finishing ur glee marathon?

CadaverDawg
12-08-2013, 12:03 AM

FSU vs. Alabama.
Baylor vs. Auburn.
Winners.

Baylor doesn't belong IMO.

Apoplectic
12-08-2013, 12:04 AM

FSU vs. Alabama.
Baylor vs. Auburn.
Winners.

Thanks captain obvious. And 8 would be better than 4 but it is what it is.

It_Could_Happen
12-08-2013, 12:05 AM

You really are a jackass aren't you?

Quaoarsking
12-08-2013, 12:05 AM
Baylor doesn't belong IMO.

Baylor finished 11-1 and mauled almost everyone they played. Their 1 loss came when their elite RBs (a future 1st rounder and 3rd/4th rounder) were both injured, and now they're back. But it's definitely possible that Michigan State would get in instead, and that would be a great game too.

smootness
12-08-2013, 12:06 AM

FSU vs. Alabama.
Baylor vs. Auburn.
Winners.

Sorry, I thought you wanted the best system to determine the national champion, not just more good games. You might see Bama-Baylor in a BCS bowl anyway. What are you complaining about?

Quaoarsking
12-08-2013, 12:08 AM
You really are a jackass aren't you?

I'm a jackass because I think 3 meaningful games between 4 great teams would be better just 1 game, especially when that 1 game matches up college football's biggest pussies vs. the Jacob to MSU's Esau? If that's your definition, then I guess I am...

It_Could_Happen
12-08-2013, 12:09 AM
I'm a jackass because I think 3 meaningful games between 4 great teams would be better just 1 game, especially when that 1 game matches up college football's biggest pussies vs. the Jacob to MSU's Esau? If that's your definition, then I guess I am...

So you don't want to watch two of the nations best offenses go at it in the rose bowl? You don't want to see two great young coaches go at it? IMO it's gonna be a damn good football game.

smootness

Geez, dude, I think you need to take a timeout. You're in full on meltdown mode over Auburn.

Apoplectic

Irrelevant - this is 2013

Quaoarsking
12-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Sorry, I thought you wanted the best system to determine the national champion, not just more good games. You might see Bama-Baylor in a BCS bowl anyway. What are you complaining about?

Nope, Baylor will play Central Florida in the Fiezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzta Bowl. Maybe it will be a decent game if Baylor doesn't care because it's a funzie exhibition game, but even so, they'll win by 20 instead of 50.

And no, a playoff is the fairest and most interesting way to pick the participants in the national championship game, in addition to being the best for the viewer. It's win-win all around, which is why they finally put one in place (I'd rather 8 than 4, but we'll get there soon enough.) I just wish they'd adopted one this year instead of next so we might abort this horrible game.

smootness
12-08-2013, 12:47 AM
A playoff is only fairer if there are more than 2 undefeated teams from major conferences. Tell me how it's fair that Auburn could beat Bama, then play an extra game against a top 5 team as their 'reward' for beating Bama, beat them...then lose to Bama but miss out because somebody decided that one was more important than the first one.

A 4-team playoff isn't fairer, especially when it uses the same system to narrow down the teams. In 5-10 years, everyone will be complaining about the 4-team playoff and claim it is the worst idea ever thought up. Bank on it.

Are you old enough to remember a time before the BCS? Because it was once considered a no-brainier that was infinitely better than the old system.

Pollodawg
12-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Piss on Auburn. Go semenholes.

Quaoarsking
12-08-2013, 12:58 AM
A playoff is only fairer if there are more than 2 undefeated teams from major conferences. Tell me how it's fair that Auburn could beat Bama, then play an extra game against a top 5 team as their 'reward' for beating Bama, beat them...then lose to Bama but miss out because somebody decided that one was more important than the first one.

A 4-team playoff isn't fairer, especially when it uses the same system to narrow down the teams. In 5-10 years, everyone will be complaining about the 4-team playoff and claim it is the worst idea ever thought up. Bank on it.

Are you old enough to remember a time before the BCS? Because it was once considered a no-brainier that was infinitely better than the old system.

I was born in 1986, so I was watching football some before the BCS, but not rabidly. I don't think anyone disagrees with the notion that "the BCS is superior to the pre-BCS system." Of course it is.

Your scenario of a rematch occuring in the playoff with a different result already happened in the BCS in 2011 (Alabama and LSU), so it's not really a criticism of a playoff. Also, nobody was mad when that happened. If Alabama and Auburn faced off in the championship game this year (I highly doubt they'd be matched up in a semifinal -- the committee will be setting up the brackets, not just some formula), and Alabama won, they'd both be 1-loss teams and I think most people would believe Alabama had the stronger overall resume, just like they did in 2011.

If you want to "bank on" anything, it's that by 2020 or sooner, the playoff will have 8 teams instead of 4, once the ratings and $$ come in. And it will be amazing:

8 Central Florida at 1 Auburn
5 Baylor at 4 Michigan State

7 South Carolina at 2 Florida State
6 Stanford at 3 Alabama
(not necessarily how I'd design a bracket but how I think a committee might do it; UCF included because they won their conference. Could easily be Ohio State or even Oklahoma in there instead.)

Are you seriously telling me that that wouldn't be amazing to watch? And nobody would doubt the legitimacy of whoever won, because adding 3 top-notch wins would give the champion the undisputed best resume. It's really win-win for everyone, both the teams and the viewers.

FlabLoser
12-08-2013, 12:58 AM

Dude we just had a playoff. Did you not just see OSU get eliminated? Did you not just see Auburn advance?

Pollodawg
12-08-2013, 01:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m6Sw26gUQo

engie
12-08-2013, 01:11 AM
I think everyone agrees that it will be MORE interesting next year --

but that is not to say that this year isn't also very interesting

smootness
12-08-2013, 01:17 AM
I would hate that South Carolina, after doing nothing to put themselves in deserving position, would still have a chance to win the national title.

To me, the BCS was clearly better than the previous system and solved a clear problem.

I don't see how adding 2 less deserving teams, using essentially the same system, makes the system better. And of course it will go to 8 teams, because people are never satisfied and happy with anything, which was partially my point. The 4-team system seems great to a lot of people, but those same people will eventually hate it because they will suddenly get restless and think another system is infinitely better.

To me, the system should either be what it is now (which is plenty fine, what is the massive problem with the BCS that everyone complains about?) or a true playoff with 16 teams where every conference champion gets in along with a few at-larges. That would truly be a system that 'decides it on the field'.

Anything that adds more teams to the current system but doesn't really change the method by which those teams are chosen to play in the playoff to begin with is only a watered-down version of the current system.

Todd4State
12-08-2013, 01:32 AM
I get what people want a playoff- but I'm not disappointed in an Auburn/Florida State match-up at all.

What's going to be funny is when we have a playoff and a 2 loss SEC team gets hot and wins the NC over a bunch of 1 loss teams.

smootness
12-08-2013, 01:36 AM
I get what people want a playoff- but I'm not disappointed in an Auburn/Florida State match-up at all.

What's going to be funny is when we have a playoff and a 2 loss SEC team gets hot and wins the NC over a bunch of 1 loss teams.

LSU already did that through the BCS.