PDA

View Full Version : And the BCS works again....

HoopsDawg
12-07-2013, 11:47 PM
for all the shit it took, it worked out way more often than not.

Quaoarsking
12-07-2013, 11:50 PM
It "works" if you're an SEC homer who just wants to see the streak go to 8. Auburn is certainly not the 2nd best team in America.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2013, 11:52 PM
It "works" if you're an SEC homer who just wants to see the streak go to 8. Auburn is certainly not the 2nd best team in America.

Well then Alabama is so you're still getting a SEC team

HoopsDawg
12-07-2013, 11:53 PM

How can you not be an SEC homer? 7 straight national champs. AU, like it or not and I certainly don't, is the SEC champion. MSU fans should take comfort b/c we aren't that far away from being as good as AU.

It_Could_Happen
12-07-2013, 11:55 PM
If auburn isn't the 2nd best who is?

Alabama who they beat?
Stanford who lost to UTAH?
Oregon who has lost twice?

Just wanna know who you think it is

smootness
12-07-2013, 11:55 PM
To win the national title, they will have done it on the field, beating the 2 teams everyone said were the top two. So how did it not work this year? You can say they're not that quality, but then, who is? Ohio State? Nope. Stanford? Eh. Bama? Beat em.

ETA: beat me to it, it could happen.

CadaverDawg
12-07-2013, 11:56 PM
How can you not be an SEC homer? 7 straight national champs. AU, like it or not and I certainly don't, is the SEC champion. MSU fans should take comfort b/c we aren't that far away from being as good as AU.

I agree. I hate Auburn, but I want the SEC to keep the streak going. I'm a big fan of history being made in my lifetime...especially when it is happening in our conference, and mostly in our division. Some say it hurts us but I disagree. Whether Auburn goes to the Sugar Bowl, Cotton Bowl, or any bowl at 11-1 is not going to change that they will recruit better than us. So I say, let the SEC West keep winning Championships so that every damn recruit in the country is wanting a spot on one of those 7 SEC West rosters.

mic
12-07-2013, 11:57 PM
as much as the BCS sucks .. it for sure worked out this year..
and if the final 4 was this year who the hell would be the 4th team.??
FSU
Auburn
Bama
????

if this was next year it would be a cluster **** for that 4th team..

Coach34
12-07-2013, 11:58 PM

maybe not- but the SEC champ deserves to be in the game. And that champ is Auburn

Quaoarsking
12-07-2013, 11:59 PM
If auburn isn't the 2nd best who is?

Alabama who they beat?
Stanford who lost to UTAH?
Oregon who has lost twice?

Just wanna know who you think it is

Alabama is the best team in the country all around, followed by Florida State. The best team doesn't always win every game (by your logic, is LSU better than Auburn?) Baylor is probably 3rd (neither of their elite RBs played when they lost to Oklahoma State). South Carolina 4th. I'd have to do some in depth research to go past that.

Auburn is probably like 10th. Absurdly lucky.

Apoplectic
12-08-2013, 12:00 AM

No they will most likely be the #1 team in america.

Quaoarsking
FSU
Auburn
Bama
????

Either Baylor or Michigan State, and that 4-team playoff would be MUCH more interesting than this 2-team abomination. **** the BCS. I hope the game gets canceled because of lightning or something.

It_Could_Happen
Alabama is the best team in the country all around, followed by Florida State. The best team doesn't always win every game (by your logic, is LSU better than Auburn?) Baylor is probably 3rd (neither of their elite RBs played when they lost to Oklahoma State). South Carolina 4th. I'd have to do some in depth research to go past that.

So you put South Carolina ahead of mizzou? You must be delusional.

Sacrifice
12-08-2013, 12:01 AM
I'm glad we finally get to see FSU play somebody worth a shit...

CadaverDawg

But Mizzou did lose to a South Carolina in their own house right? I may be wrong

smootness
FSU
Auburn
Bama
????

Yup...doesn't matter how many teams you have, there will always be people whining and complaining about those 'left out'. Right now it's #3, sometimes another. Next year, it'll be 5-7 or 8. You can find a clear difference between Auburn and, say, Stanford or Michigan State. After that, it gets real tough.

Quaoarsking
12-08-2013, 12:02 AM

Seriously? You just insisted that Auburn must be better than Alabama because of head-to-head, then turn around and say Missouri's better than South Carolina?

I think South Carolina's full body of work is better than Missouri's but it's close. Upon further research, I could flip.

With an average amount of good luck, Auburn is 9-3 right now.

Bubb Rubb
12-08-2013, 12:03 AM

Just ridiculous. I don't like Auburn either, but they earned it on the field. They might lose to FSU, but it will be a helluva game. FSU is going to have their hands full with Auburn's offense.

Baylor doesn't even deserve to be in the discussion. They are a good football team but they haven't played near the schedule anyone from the SEC played.

smootness
12-08-2013, 12:03 AM
SC has more than 1 loss. Not comparable to the Bama/Auburn debate.

Coach34
12-08-2013, 12:04 AM

South Carolina did beat Mizzou at their place

Bottom line is though that Auburn won the SEC and deserves to be in the game. They caught some breaks- like most teams do that usually end up in the game.

The made their luck vs us
They got a lucky bounce vs Georgia
They made their luck vs Bama- people act like they needed that last TD to beat Bama- it was a tie game at the time- so you cant say Auburn wouldnt have beaten them in OT anyway

HoopsDawg
12-08-2013, 12:04 AM
Congrats to the Fiesta Bowl. The nation can't wait to see Baylor vs Central Florida.

PendingTransaction
12-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Auburn's offense is simply amazing, a thing of beauty...runs the ball like no other and without getting there QB hurt on his 20th carry. I don't hate them. I (MSU) wanna be like them.

It_Could_Happen
12-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Seriously? You just insisted that Auburn must be better than Alabama because of head-to-head, then turn around and say Missouri's better than South Carolina?

I think South Carolina's full body of work is better than Missouri's but it's close. Upon further research, I could flip.

With an average amount of good luck, Auburn is 9-3 right now.

South Carolina also lost to UT who is awful. Defend that one buddy.

CooterDavenport
12-08-2013, 12:12 AM
The "best" team doesn't always win the NCAA Tourney, and it won't always win the football playoff. Luck and timing are part of sports.

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2013, 12:12 AM
If Auburn can do it, then why can't we?

Quaoarsking
12-08-2013, 12:16 AM
The "best" team doesn't always win the NCAA Tourney, and it won't always win the football playoff. Luck and timing are part of sports.

It would be unlikely that the winner of a 4- or 8-team playoff wouldn't have the best overall resume, though, and that's fine. And it would be a hell of a thing to watch, instead of just handing a golden ticket to 2 teams and just getting to watch 1 game.

Quaoarsking
12-08-2013, 12:17 AM
South Carolina also lost to UT who is awful. Defend that one buddy.

Flukes happen. Maybe I exaggerated a little bit by putting them 4th, but I'm not sure who would replace them. I would've said Arizona State, but Stanford beat them convincingly twice.

PendingTransaction
12-08-2013, 12:19 AM
They have a great offense..we don't.

bluelightstar
12-08-2013, 12:20 AM
If Auburn can do it, then why can't we?

There's plenty of reasons. One is that Malzahn finds what works and sticks to it. Mullen calls QB runs with Tyler Russell on 3rd down. (You get my point.)

Bubb Rubb
12-08-2013, 12:21 AM
It would be unlikely that the winner of a 4- or 8-team playoff wouldn't have the best overall resume, though, and that's fine. And it would be a hell of a thing to watch, instead of just handing a golden ticket to 2 teams and just getting to watch 1 game.

So, is that what happened this year? Auburn was handed a golden ticket to a NC game? You're not willing to give them a little credit for finishing 12-1 while playing in the SEC West? For beating Alabama, Georgia, Missouri, and Texas A&M? Jesus.

I hate Auburn as much as the next guy, and I know they got some breaks, but they have earned their shot.

CooterDavenport
12-08-2013, 12:28 AM

13 games--especially for an SEC team--is one tough golden ticket to earn. I'm looking forward to the playoff, but it's hard to contend that Auburn didn't earn their shot at FSU. If you're lucky that often, maybe you're just good.

Quaoarsking
12-08-2013, 12:29 AM
So, is that what happened this year? Auburn was handed a golden ticket to a NC game? You're not willing to give them a little credit for finishing 12-1 while playing in the SEC West? For beating Alabama, Georgia, Missouri, and Texas A&M? Jesus.

I hate Auburn as much as the next guy, and I know they got some breaks, but they have earned their shot.

If I were a voter I'd put Baylor #2. More convincing regular season, and would have been 12-0 with 11 maulings if not for Lache Seastrunk's injury. I think it's justifiable in both backward-looking and forward-looking metrics.

They didn't need absurdly good luck. They got to 11-1 with overall bad luck.

smootness
12-08-2013, 12:35 AM
If I were a voter I'd put Baylor #2. More convincing regular season, and would have been 12-0 with 11 maulings if not for Lache Seastrunk's injury. I think it's justifiable in both backward-looking and forward-looking metrics.

Yes, Baylor beat several very good teams.

Face palm.

CadaverDawg
12-08-2013, 12:38 AM

Damn Quars, get out of the booze, you are losing it tonight. Baylor?? Over Auburn? Over Bama? I can think of at least 3-4 teams I'd put ahead of Baylor. Most are SEC teams, because the SEC is a monster and has earned benefit of the doubt in this situation.

Coach34
12-08-2013, 12:39 AM

Dude- I hate Auburn too- but to suggest another school deserves it over the SEC champ is lunacy

FlabLoser
12-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Put Baylor in because they would have earned it if their play station RB didn't get hurt?

I say A&M makes it if JFF were healthy. Hell, put us in the Peach or Gator because we would have earned it without the injuries.

engie
12-08-2013, 12:53 AM
FSU
Auburn
Bama
????

ETA: Upon further thought, I changed my mind and agree with you. Forgot about Baylor and wasn't thinking about the fact that Michigan St only has 1 loss as well. They would both have a legitimate claim along with Ohio St...

FlabLoser
12-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Picking teams for an n-round playoff is easier and less controversial as n gets larger.

As n gets larger, the high seeds are no brainers and the low seeds become less important .

Picking that 4th team is never going to be more controversial than ****ing up the 2nd team in the current BCS system.

engie
12-08-2013, 01:00 AM
Picking teams for an n-round playoff is easier and less controversial as n gets larger.

As n gets larger, the high seeds are no brainers and the low seeds become less important .

Picking that 4th team is never going to be more controversial than ****ing up the 2nd team in the current BCS system.

I'd say this year -- it would probably be more controversial...

Really, you can put Bama, Ohio St, Baylor, and Michigan St all up for the 3rd and 4th slots -- and them all have a legit gripe about being left out. I agree with your sentiments about a larger tournament making it easier... SOS has to play a major role going forward...

HoopsDawg
12-08-2013, 01:01 AM
If the playoffs were this year, AU would be playing Alabama in one game. To me, that just doesn't seem right. I think they need to avoid conference re-matches in the first round if at all possible.

HoopsDawg
12-08-2013, 01:03 AM
I'd say this year -- it would probably be more controversial...

Really, you can put Bama, Ohio St, Baylor, and Michigan St all up for the 3rd and 4th slots -- and them all have a legit gripe about being left out. I agree with your sentiments about a larger tournament making it easier...

Ohio State would have no gripe. Michigan St just won the conference title over them. It would come down to Michigan State vs Baylor. And Michigan St would get the nod. Baylor got rolled by Ok State.

engie
12-08-2013, 01:05 AM
If the playoffs were this year, AU would be playing Alabama in one game. To me, that just doesn't seem right. I think they need to avoid conference re-matches in the first round if at all possible.

I don't think you can assume that they would match them in the first round. We don't know that yet. We know it's who they rank #1-#4 and #2-#3 -- but they don't have any set criteria on how they have to "rank" them.

One school of thought is to match 'em in the first round and let them eliminate each other -- giving geographic opportunity to another team in the title game -- or you match them apart from each other and hope one/both of them lose. To an SEC hater, both ways have their merits.

engie
12-08-2013, 01:08 AM
Ohio State would have no gripe. Michigan St just won the conference title over them. It would come down to Michigan State vs Baylor. And Michigan St would get the nod. Baylor got rolled by Ok State.

You are thinking within the confines of the "poll" era. Those confines no longer exist. "When" you lose is not likely going to be factored by a committee. It's one of the biggest problems with the current structure -- rewarding teams that lose early games and punishing teams that lose late. When you lose shouldn't matter. It should reward a total body of work. In that regard, Ohio St would have a valid position.

Quaoarsking
12-08-2013, 01:08 AM

I'm extremely confident the committee would fudge the brackets to make that impossible, probably by giving Auburn the #1 seed due to their strength of schedule.

smootness
12-08-2013, 01:27 AM

I actually disagree with this.

Logically, it makes sense. But in most years, the top 2 teams is more or less fairly clear cut. Every once in a while, there are 3 teams that deserve it and occasionally there's only one team clearly above the rest.

But once you get past the top two, in most years, there are a ton of 1-loss teams and some 2-loss teams that have various claims. For example, to me if Ohio State and Florida State were the only unbeatens, it would be clear they should play. But once Ohio State lost, to me it's clear that a 1-loss SEC team should play. After that? How do you distinguish between Stanford, Michigan State, Baylor, Alabama, Ohio State, etc...it becomes more difficult.

Actually, this ended up being a year where the pre-BCS system would probably be best, so long as Florida State won their bowl game...because they are now clearly the top team in the country.

FlabLoser
12-08-2013, 01:35 AM
I didn't say it would be without controversy. I'm saying that controversy with 25% (1 of 4 teams) of the field is a lot less of a deal than controversy over 50% (1 of 2 teams) of the field.

smootness
12-08-2013, 01:50 AM
I didn't say it would be without controversy. I'm saying that controversy with 25% (1 of 4 teams) of the field is a lot less of a deal than controversy over 50% (1 of 2 teams) of the field.

The first time the #3 or 4 seed wins it, though, it becomes just as big a deal because it's still deciding who gets to play for the national title.

dawgs
12-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Are we 100% positive auburn is the 2nd best team in the country? If you even have a little doubt then the BCS didn't "work" again.

dawgs
12-08-2013, 12:51 PM

This. No one said it would be void of all controversy. And there might be more controversy on a yearly basis, but I'm fine with all that to avoid the controversy when it arises over who gets into the current 2 team playoff.