PDA

View Full Version : It is going to be an unbearable baseball season

Todd4State
02-12-2024, 03:59 AM
So I am going to say this in vain.

We are going to lose games. Have bad games. We are also going to win our share of games and I expect us to be improved over last year and I expect that to be reflected in the won/loss record and in the form of postseason invitations. When we have those bad weekends it does not mean that we are obviously going to fire Lemonis. That will be decided by how he and the team perform over the course of the ENTIRE season. The only exception would be if he has something going on like Andy Cannizaro or Brad Bohannon at Alabama last year that would warrant an immediate dismissal. One midweek loss to USM or getting swept by LSU is not going to determine his fate.

That said I expect our team to be much better because our pitching will be much better and much deeper than it has been the past two years. And yes, that CAN change drastically in one offseason. This isn't like football where it is going to take a few seasons to turn over the roster and implement things completely. We have talent and the change in philosophy to an individualized approach rather than a blanket one sized fits all approach will pay off very quickly for us. Mechanical tweaks and adding pitches can happen over the course of an offseason. Heck- I've heard stories where a guy learns a pitch at the MLB All-Star game from someone or a MLB pitcher gets a call from his college catcher who notices something and things change drastically overnight or in one bullpen session.

To me, our best rotation is Holcombe, Loo, and Stephens. We may very well see Dohm start this weekend but I like him better out of the bullpen. Brooks Auger seems to be back completely. Cam Schuelke can throw from multiple arm angles and is going to be a big piece of the bullpen. We did not have anyone remotely like him last year. We're going to have to figure out who our closer is but I think someone will emerge like Gavin Black, Logan Forsythe, or Nolan Stevens. Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad role for Loftin or Luke Dotson. Evan Siary has looked good too and he's another guy that can contribute for us. Later in the year we should get Pico Kohn back and he could be useful out of the bullpen. Tyson Hardin has looked good as well and he could surprise people this year.

With Highfill injured it's good that we got Johnny Long and Joe Powell out of the portal. We should be improved here. If and when Highfill comes back it should be a strong group.

Hines will hold serve at first base. He is a legit 20+ home run threat entering his junior year and has a shot at the MSU all time home run record. We may see Larry and Cupp at 2b and SS respectively to start the year if Mershon's hamstring injury persists but by the end of the year I suspect we'll see Mershon and Cupp at 2B and SS. Cupp is considered to be the best defensive player on the team. We'll see if the bat is ready. Logan Kohler has looked good defensively at third base and I think he will give us close to what we got from Alford offensively. He is a senior and even though he played at Memphis he has played MSU, Ole Miss, and other SEC teams before. In fact I believe he had a big home run for Memphis against Ole Miss last year if I am not mistaken that either tied or won them the game.

Jordan is going to hold down RF and he will combine with Hines to give MSU one of the most dangerous 1/2 punches in the SEC. Dakota could very well play himself into becoming a first round pick. Hujsack will surprise people in CF I think and probably should have played more last year. He might be a good number two hitter for us unless he strikes out a lot. Bryce Chance seems to have LF locked down. He's a good college player that will be a five year guy for us. Has some pop and knows how to hit. Just a good baseball player. Highfill will probably start out at DH but as he switches back to catcher I could see Larry DHing for us as the year goes along. Really depends on how the MIF shakes out.

My prediction for this year is we will be much better and will surprise a lot of people. Justin Parker will make a big name for himself. I think this team will be similar to the 2011 team in terms of playing hard and surprising people and we end up in a SR. We may not win it and may have to go on the road but we will see a return of MSU baseball as we know it and love it.

MafiaDawg
02-12-2024, 07:08 AM
What?s the story on Highfills injury? Seems like he played in the most recent scrimmage.

somebodyshotmypaw
02-12-2024, 07:56 AM
I’m waiting on Game 1 this Friday being tied 1-1 in the 3rd inning and someone posting “we are terrible and won’t win a single game all year”. Get ready for 0-56 I guess!

ZedFedder
02-12-2024, 08:22 AM
Good word, Todd. I am cautiously optimistic.

It all boils down to the pitching staff.

99jc
02-12-2024, 10:12 AM

We are going to lose games. Have bad games. We are also going to win our share of games and I expect us to be improved over last year and I expect that to be reflected in the won/loss record and in the form of postseason invitations. When we have those bad weekends it does not mean that we are obviously going to fire Lemonis. That will be decided by how he and the team perform over the course of the ENTIRE season. The only exception would be if he has something going on like Andy Cannizaro or Brad Bohannon at Alabama last year that would warrant an immediate dismissal. One midweek loss to USM or getting swept by LSU is not going to determine his fate.

That said I expect our team to be much better because our pitching will be much better and much deeper than it has been the past two years. And yes, that CAN change drastically in one offseason. This isn't like football where it is going to take a few seasons to turn over the roster and implement things completely. We have talent and the change in philosophy to an individualized approach rather than a blanket one sized fits all approach will pay off very quickly for us. Mechanical tweaks and adding pitches can happen over the course of an offseason. Heck- I've heard stories where a guy learns a pitch at the MLB All-Star game from someone or a MLB pitcher gets a call from his college catcher who notices something and things change drastically overnight or in one bullpen session.

To me, our best rotation is Holcombe, Loo, and Stephens. We may very well see Dohm start this weekend but I like him better out of the bullpen. Brooks Auger seems to be back completely. Cam Schuelke can throw from multiple arm angles and is going to be a big piece of the bullpen. We did not have anyone remotely like him last year. We're going to have to figure out who our closer is but I think someone will emerge like Gavin Black, Logan Forsythe, or Nolan Stevens. Honestly, it wouldn't be a bad role for Loftin or Luke Dotson. Evan Siary has looked good too and he's another guy that can contribute for us. Later in the year we should get Pico Kohn back and he could be useful out of the bullpen. Tyson Hardin has looked good as well and he could surprise people this year.

With Highfill injured it's good that we got Johnny Long and Joe Powell out of the portal. We should be improved here. If and when Highfill comes back it should be a strong group.

Hines will hold serve at first base. He is a legit 20+ home run threat entering his junior year and has a shot at the MSU all time home run record. We may see Larry and Cupp at 2b and SS respectively to start the year if Mershon's hamstring injury persists but by the end of the year I suspect we'll see Mershon and Cupp at 2B and SS. Cupp is considered to be the best defensive player on the team. We'll see if the bat is ready. Logan Kohler has looked good defensively at third base and I think he will give us close to what we got from Alford offensively. He is a senior and even though he played at Memphis he has played MSU, Ole Miss, and other SEC teams before. In fact I believe he had a big home run for Memphis against Ole Miss last year if I am not mistaken that either tied or won them the game.

Jordan is going to hold down RF and he will combine with Hines to give MSU one of the most dangerous 1/2 punches in the SEC. Dakota could very well play himself into becoming a first round pick. Hujsack will surprise people in CF I think and probably should have played more last year. He might be a good number two hitter for us unless he strikes out a lot. Bryce Chance seems to have LF locked down. He's a good college player that will be a five year guy for us. Has some pop and knows how to hit. Just a good baseball player. Highfill will probably start out at DH but as he switches back to catcher I could see Larry DHing for us as the year goes along. Really depends on how the MIF shakes out.

My prediction for this year is we will be much better and will surprise a lot of people. Justin Parker will make a big name for himself. I think this team will be similar to the 2011 team in terms of playing hard and surprising people and we end up in a SR. We may not win it and may have to go on the road but we will see a return of MSU baseball as we know it and love it.

Man, i hope you are right. Us baseball fans are going through withdrawal symptoms. another season of under achieving will be brutal on our blood pressure!

louisvilledawg
02-12-2024, 10:17 AM

Noticed you didn't mention Karson Ligon in your pitching recap. Is he injured? Or just not as good as the others you mentioned?

BeardoMSU
02-12-2024, 10:33 AM
I remember the meltdown in 2021 when we lost the series to Missouri at home to end the regular season. Good times, lol.

Saltydog
02-12-2024, 10:33 AM
Noticed you didn't mention Karson Ligon in your pitching recap. Is he injured? Or just not as good as the others you mentioned?

Didn't mention Stone Simmons either...........I know Cupp is good defensively but I just don't see how you keep Larry outta the lineup........

Leeshouldveflanked
02-12-2024, 10:35 AM
Way too many resources invested for a 3rd subpar season in a row. We have spent the money to be an elite program, but current we are not. We are Coastal Carolina with a nicer stadium and a much bigger budget

Coach34
02-12-2024, 10:48 AM
We have spent the money to be an elite program, but current we are not. We are Coastal Carolina with a nicer stadium and a much bigger budget

Yep- and thats Ron Polk's legacy.

HoopsDawg
02-12-2024, 11:05 AM
I disagree with several things in Todd's post but now is the time to be optimistic so I will refrain. I do think Shuekle is a big piece out of the pen.

Coach34
02-12-2024, 11:19 AM
The pitching is the hot topic on everybody's mind. I dont know if Stephens is one of our top 3 guys but I feel like he will start because he throws with the wrong arm. I was hopeful Loftin was going to be that guy but he is starting the year off in the pen.

I'm ready to get a look at Holcombe and see if the hype is warranted. If he truly is ready to be "the guy" that would be great for us.

Just a few days left to wait and see what it looks like

msstate7
02-12-2024, 11:24 AM
Is AF supposed to be any good?

PGHBulldogBG
02-12-2024, 11:50 AM
I agree that we should give Lemonis the full year until we determine his future. It should be pretty black and white though. Make a regional and he stays. Miss a regional and he is gone.

HoopsDawg
02-12-2024, 11:51 AM
I agree that we should give Lemonis the full year until we determine his future. It should be pretty black and white though. Make a regional and he stays. Miss a regional and he is gone.

Correct

confucius say
02-12-2024, 12:01 PM
Way too many resources invested for a 3rd subpar season in a row. We have spent the money to be an elite program, but current we are not. We are Coastal Carolina with a nicer stadium and a much bigger budget

CC has been to 3 super regionals and 1 CWS in its existence.
We've been to 10 supers and 12 CWS (6 under Polk and 6 not). We are not the same.

Also, we are middle of the pack in NIL money in sec baseball. But we do have the nicest facilities.

confucius say
02-12-2024, 12:02 PM

I tend to agree. Some will argue he should be gone if we make a regional as three seed and don't advance to a super.

99jc
02-12-2024, 01:00 PM
We have to be in a regional or he is gone, we don't even need to host although that would be great!

sandjunky
02-12-2024, 01:09 PM
2 seed or higher or he should be gone

Todd4State
02-12-2024, 01:12 PM

Didn't mention Stone Simmons either...........I know Cupp is good defensively but I just don't see how you keep Larry outta the lineup........

Both are wild cards to me. Stone hasn't been pitching much lately. Ligon may pitch later in the season. And if he does we'll see how he looks and go from there. More about health than ability for both.

I kept Larry in the lineup. He will hit lead off.

The Federalist Engineer
02-12-2024, 01:20 PM
I don't think this is going to be an unbearable season. Last season, many games had no game threads or very limited discussion. You need expectations to generate frustration. When you are unranked and expected to finish at the bottom the SEC, you can mostly surprise people. Playing LSU (SEC Series 1) early is not a bad thing, MSU usually plays LSU when they have everything figured out. Catching them early and at home, not a bad thing.

Plus the Hatred of Fox, means support for Parker. Everybody is rooting of Parker.

It will be a month before SEC play starts, so pre-season until March 15. Only one big game until March, that's USM on March 5.

DownwardDawg
02-12-2024, 01:23 PM
I'm just ready for it to start!!!! I hate the period between the end of our football season until baseball season finally starts.

preachermatt83
02-12-2024, 01:45 PM

This is my stance as well

Leeshouldveflanked
02-12-2024, 02:32 PM
CC has been to 3 super regionals and 1 CWS in its existence.
We've been to 10 supers and 12 CWS (6 under Polk and 6 not). We are not the same.

Also, we are middle of the pack in NIL money in sec baseball. But we do have the nicest facilities.
Middle of the pack in NIL money in SEC Baseball is top 10-15 in the NCAA.

HoopsDawg
02-12-2024, 02:36 PM

I heard we are only behind LSU and A&M, is that not right? I'm talking relative basis since most SEC schools have much higher tuition costs.

Saltydog
02-12-2024, 03:18 PM
Meh, there's really not any difference between a 2 and a 3 but people should probably remember that we're going to lose a lot of good players to the draft at years end. 2025 could be akin to the previous two seasons.

confucius say
02-12-2024, 03:26 PM
I heard we are only behind LSU and A&M, is that not right? I'm talking relative basis since most SEC schools have much higher tuition costs.

"Middle of the pack" from the horse's mouth

confucius say
02-12-2024, 03:27 PM

Bout right. But we have to play the 6-7 ahead of us unfortunately

Johnson85
02-12-2024, 03:40 PM
I tend to agree. Some will argue he should be gone if we make a regional as three seed and don't advance to a super.

I would think if he makes it as a 3 seed he will have to make it to a super to be safe. I think finishing outside the top 32 in a year that's supposed to be at the top of a cycle, after missing hoover two years in a row would be tough to overcome. That'd also mean we are likely the 9th best team in the SEC, possibly the 10th best team. Granted some years the 9th best SEC team will be a 2 seed, so being the 9th best isn't some terrible result, but not a result that's going to give people the warm and fuzzies after the last two years.

Coach34
02-12-2024, 03:44 PM
Meh, there's really not any difference between a 2 and a 3 but people should probably remember that we're going to lose a lot of good players to the draft at years end. 2025 could be akin to the previous two seasons.

People say this but have no real reasoning behind it. Between recruiting and the portal- no reason we cant be good again.

Saltydog
02-12-2024, 04:46 PM
People say this but have no real reasoning behind it. Between recruiting and the portal- no reason we cant be good again.

You want reasoning, it's called history. We haven't been lighting up the portal and I see no reason why that will change. We're not going to be able to go out and get a guy like Paul Skenes that will transform us in one season. We couldn't even pull Braden Montgomery and we had tie ins there. Secondly, for all of CL's alleged recruiting prowess, well it hasn't translated into great on field results with the players that he's brought in. We've won 18 of our last 60 league games.

Homedawg
02-12-2024, 05:34 PM

The following are all going to be back and some good players. Mckenzie, Stevens, Mershon, highfill, Cupp, Reynolds, Spalitta, Pulliam and possibly Chance. All Position players. Turnover is quick in baseball cause you lose you good ones in 2 or 3 years.

Todd4State
02-12-2024, 05:37 PM
You want reasoning, it's called history. We haven't been lighting up the portal and I see no reason why that will change. We're not going to be able to go out and get a guy like Paul Skenes that will transform us in one season. We couldn't even pull Braden Montgomery and we had tie ins there. Secondly, for all of CL's alleged recruiting prowess, well it hasn't translated into great on field results with the players that he's brought in. We've won 18 of our last 60 league games.

If you are Paul Skenes would you rather play for Scott Foxhall or Wes Johnson? Getting Wes changed the game for LSU with him. Braden was always going to go to Texas A&M. It was people close to him that wanted him at MSU. That's nothing that was completely in our control unless we fired Foxhall and pulled Wes from the Twins which I would have been all for.

In the meantime in the portal we have pulled Scott Dubrule who was a big contributor in 2021 for us especially in the postseason, we pulled Colton Ledbetter who is now one of the Rays top prospects, pulled RJ Yeager who hit about 20 bombs for us without the benefit of the postseason, pulled Aaron Nixon who was our best closer and maybe our best pitcher last year, and this year we got Khal Stephens, Logan Kohler, Johnny Long, and Joe Powell. Montgomery simply would have been icing on the cake.

ZedFedder
02-12-2024, 05:40 PM
I have seen multiple people make this mistake, so just to clarify.

It is Khal Stephen, not Stephens.

Todd4State
02-12-2024, 05:41 PM
The following are all going to be back and some good players. Mckenzie, Stevens, Mershon, highfill, Cupp, Reynolds, Spalitta, Pulliam and possibly Chance. All Position players. Turnover is quick in baseball cause you lose you good ones in 2 or 3 years.

Yep. And a lot of those guys aren't going to start this year. But they are going to be good players for us as they progress. Also- Loftin, Makhai Grant, Loo if he comes back and doesn't go pro, Luke Dotson, and Evan Siary on the mound as well. We should be able to get most of our freshmen in but that's wait and see as always this time of year. Hopefully we can get Conrad Cason, Henry Allen, Dante Nori, Cade O'Leary, and Ryan McPherson in through the draft. Caden Marcum is a JUCO guy that if we get him to school could be a major steal for us.

confucius say
02-12-2024, 05:56 PM

Crooms
Parsons
Stephens

It continues.

Saltydog
02-12-2024, 07:00 PM
Crooms
Parsons
Stephens

It continues.

You left of Don *******.......

The Federalist Engineer
02-12-2024, 08:25 PM

In the South, you get an "s" to your name

Everybody knows that

https://y.yarn.co/df6cc51c-e9b6-437a-b712-612af769c184_text.gif

BeardoMSU
02-12-2024, 08:49 PM
In the South, you get an "s" to your name

Everybody knows that

https://y.yarn.co/df6cc51c-e9b6-437a-b712-612af769c184_text.gif

Antonio Meucci!!!!***

DownwardDawg
02-12-2024, 09:24 PM
Crooms
Parsons
Stephens

It continues.

Walmarts. It's not just people's names. I've never understood it but learned to roll with it.

CaptainObvious
02-12-2024, 10:04 PM
Walmarts. It's not just people's names. I've never understood it but learned to roll with it.

Don't for we are going to Belks
We are going to the Doctors.
We are going to Church's---- for chickens.

Johnson85
02-14-2024, 02:11 PM

It's actually Walrmarks, unless you come from a snooty area of Mississippi.

MStateDawg
02-14-2024, 03:35 PM
Don't for we are going to Belks
We are going to the Doctors.
We are going to Church's---- for chickens.

Church's is actually correct: https://www.churchs.com/
https://www.visitjackson.com/imager/files_idss_com/C115/4ea757fa-d61f-4481-8b8d-ee1f8cf7ca99_e45adf5f6bc0c5c2a30a39868f44eab6.jpg

MoreCowbell
02-14-2024, 03:55 PM
I just saw where we were not even in the top 50 of preseason rankings. How far we have fallen?

MadDawg
02-14-2024, 05:05 PM
I just saw where we were not even in the top 50 of preseason rankings. How far we have fallen?

Somewhere past 50.

confucius say
02-14-2024, 08:06 PM

Krogers

Bdawg
02-15-2024, 12:27 PM
Somewhere past 50.

Ha ha! Damn man. If I was Captain Obvious(because of his name), I would be on here making quotes likes this all the time!!

Offshore Dawg
02-15-2024, 06:08 PM
odd-job from "Kelly's Heroes" ( stop with the negative waves ). Or something like that.

KOdawg1
02-15-2024, 08:17 PM
I'll have low expectations until proven otherwise.

I'll still root for the team. I'll still attend games. But I'm not building any sort of excitement until there's a reason to. The last two years have drained all of that away.

SPMT
02-15-2024, 11:13 PM
I'll have low expectations until proven otherwise.

I'll still root for the team. I'll still attend games. But I'm not building any sort of excitement until there's a reason to. The last two years have drained all of that away.

Same. Show me. I?m all in but not going out of my way. Too much laziness post NC.

If get shelled by UT by 25 count me out other than to watch phenoms on the other team.

dawgoneyall
02-16-2024, 08:14 AM
Will the third baseman be standing within diving distance of 2nd base.

If that happens Monis needs to be gone immediately

BeardoMSU
02-17-2024, 08:56 PM
Damn, Todd....how did you know?***

Offshore Dawg
02-19-2024, 01:20 PM
" down, down, down, and the flames went higher, that ring of fire ".

CaptainObvious
02-19-2024, 02:39 PM
Ha ha! Damn man. If I was Captain Obvious(because of his name), I would be on here making quotes likes this all the time!!

I'm waiting for the perfect opportunity to state the obvious.

SpaceBully
02-19-2024, 02:58 PM
Is AF supposed to be any good?

Not sure, but probably average for their conference. And I think Hawaii is in the same conference as AF. Way back in Polk's days, we went to Hawaii and they were ranked in the top 10 and had the #1 hurler in the nation also. I can't remember how that series turned out, but Cohen took them his first year in 2009 and didn't do so well. Think we went 1-3 vs the Rainbow Warriors.