02-09-2024, 02:50 PM
To go to Ohio State as OC?

msstate7
02-09-2024, 02:59 PM
Strange move. Chip must really hate recruiting

Tripp McNeely
02-09-2024, 02:59 PM
To go to Ohio State as OC?

They have any decent RBs, DTs or Edge players?

BrunswickDawg
02-09-2024, 03:02 PM
Strange move. Chip must really hate recruiting

They have no NIL and have been losing players. Got out while he could

msstate7
02-09-2024, 03:14 PM
They have no NIL and have been losing players. Got out while he could

So weird they have no NIL. Seems they'd have at least a handful of rich alumni that loves sports

Extendedcab
02-09-2024, 03:18 PM
Wow, how do you negotiate a demotion - HC to OC? Surely OSU did not contact him as HC to come there as OC? Kelly surely had to contact OSU either directly or indirectly. You coaches out there, help me out here with an explanation?

CaptainObvious
02-09-2024, 03:20 PM
I realize UCLA has a fine medical school and University Hospital System, but is it possible he is moving to be closer to Cleveland Clinic?

parabrave
02-09-2024, 04:10 PM
I realize UCLA has a fine medical school and University Hospital System, but is it possible he is moving to be closer to Cleveland Clinic?

UCLA also has a Actor School and a number of famous peeps, Ala Jim Morrison/

LC Dawg
02-09-2024, 05:03 PM
UCLA also has a Actor School and a number of famous peeps, Ala Jim Morrison/

I don't think Jim really cares for football. Plus, he's in France.****

viverlibre
02-09-2024, 05:29 PM
I don't think Jim really cares for football. Plus, he's in France.****

That has a strange comment made by parabrave :)

HeCannotGo
02-09-2024, 05:59 PM
I think we'll see more of these type moves until some sense of order and structure is brought to NIL and transfers. Most coaches prefer coaching to recruiting. In today's world, you have to constantly re-recruit your own roster and hope someone doesn't leave because he gets offered an extra $2 per week.

I'm guessing Kelly views this coordinator role as one in which he can focus on coaching and let the head coach worry about who's suiting up that week.

ZedFedder
02-09-2024, 06:19 PM
Mike Locksley said Maryland?s 3rd string running back asked for 100k. He said every end of the year meeting is all about demands.

I totally agree that you?ll see dudes step down. They already are set $ wise. You just can?t put a price on mental and emotional health.

Turfdawg67
02-09-2024, 07:59 PM
Mike Locksley said Maryland?s 3rd string running back asked for 100k. He said every end of the year meeting is all about demands.

I totally agree that you?ll see dudes step down. They already are set $ wise. You just can?t put a price on mental and emotional health.

Agents and a player's union up next.

parabrave
02-09-2024, 08:47 PM
That has a strange comment made by parabrave :)

Dude loved me some Doors. Just watch the beginning of Apocalypse Now.

https://youtu.be/ntPHFVWDIqM

BTW I was an Army Aviator also/

Coach34
02-09-2024, 08:53 PM
It's much more enjoyable these days being a coordinator than being the head guy. On the HS level as a HC you spend so much time with paperwork and bullshit- it takes away from the actual coaching. I cant imagine all the BS a college HC goes thru and applaud Chip Kelly. He wants to just f'ing coach. Love that

Lord McBuckethead
02-10-2024, 08:01 AM
I told you guys, every 3 star kid at every small town school in America begins and ends their football recruitment with NIL discussions. Every single one of them. Even the not so good prospects as they have been told they are awesome since 7th grade.

StarkVegasSteve
02-10-2024, 08:08 AM
Agents and a player's union up next.

That is the first step to making it a better system. The two most important though, are the schools being able to pay the players and legally binding contracts between school and player. When schools, or the players themselves, have to start forking over the buyout money if they want to transfer then it will solve a lot of these issues with the transfer portal.

Maroonthirteen
02-10-2024, 09:11 AM
On a similar note... another college coach leaves for the nfl.

Ryan Grubb leaving OC job at Bama for Seahawks OC job.

StarkVegasSteve
02-10-2024, 11:27 AM
On a similar note... another college coach leaves for the nfl.

Ryan Grubb leaving OC job at Bama for Seahawks OC job.

The quality of life for coaches is night and day NFL to CFB with the portal and NIL. Coaches will continue to look for a way out if it is not fixed.

Joebob
02-10-2024, 09:16 PM

I saw in the news yesterday that 16 college players made more money last year than Brock Purdy. Think about that for a while.

MetEdDawg
02-10-2024, 09:30 PM
I think we will see more of this stuff. It's unsustainable and this is the first offseason where I've really felt like we might see movement in changing it.

Saban retires, Harbaugh leaves for the NFL, Tennessee and Virginia trying to take the NCAA to court, Boston College HC leaving for the NFL and blaming NIL.

The only thing that would have moved the needle anymore was Saban steamrolling NIL on his way out and/or Kirby leaving for the NFL.

Bothrops
02-11-2024, 05:41 PM
UCLA football is like Miami without the recruits.

DownwardDawg
02-11-2024, 06:21 PM
I think we will see more of this stuff. It's unsustainable and this is the first offseason where I've really felt like we might see movement in changing it.

Saban retires, Harbaugh leaves for the NFL, Tennessee and Virginia trying to take the NCAA to court, Boston College HC leaving for the NFL and blaming NIL.

The only thing that would have moved the needle anymore was Saban steamrolling NIL on his way out and/or Kirby leaving for the NFL.

I agree 100%. Many of us have stated from the beginning that this is not sustainable since the NIL and transfer portal BS started. The product is going to start sucking due to the top coaches bolting for NFL positions and retiring early. Fans will become much less engaged due to not having a clue who the players are each year on their teams.
It's a downward spiral. Hopefully change is coming because it's a sad situation now.